• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Mario & Luigi: Double Brother Trouble (Job #3: Story)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
After looking at Paper Jam and thinking about all the lost potential, I felt like making a thread where we create a new game with the Mario and Luigi gameplay everyone knows and loves. Right now, we know their rivals Wario & Waluigi will be playbale characters.

The gameplay will always be focusing on two characters at a time, save for special cases.

Which two characters exactly you’ll be controlling at any given time will be dependent on the point in the story, but there will be a few points where you can swap between characters in certain areas.

While Mario and Luigi continue to play like they always have together, you will be able to play as any combination of four characters, and they each have different combined abilities. There will often be challenges that can only be overcome with one or two specific characters.

Job #3: Story

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
My suggestion is to involve Wario and Waluigi in a playable role alongside Mario and Luigi… so basically Mario & Luigi & Wario & Waluigi (but let’s please not call it that)
I WOULD love this.

Edit: Either have it like Partners in Time or separate storylines until crossing together?

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 1
Alright guys hear me out

Gameplaywise, Sonic and Tails are controleld by X and Y respectively. There are duo attacks with the main duos as well as Mario & Tails or Sonic & Luigi, as well as some kind of quadruple attack type.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 1
Why not have a pseudo Paper Jam 2, I say pseudo cause it's less focused on Paper Mario and more like Mario as a whole. It's basically the Sonic Generations of Mario, travel across time and space in the Mario series. The gameplay can be separated into several campaigns featuring various iconic Mario characters. The main Mario and Luigi campaign features Mario, Luigi, and their paper counterparts go on a journey to find a magical fountain or something to fix all the dimensions from colliding into each other. Aside from Bros, Trio, and Quad attacks you could also have Summon attacks which feature summoning a famous Mario character to assist then. Bowser Jr and his Paper equivalent could create tactical rpg battles featuring all the partners from both the main and rpg Mario series so you can have the likes of Cappy, Fludd, Goombella, and Vivian in the same team. You could even have a fee reformed villains like the Bleck Trio and Poppy and even characters from other franchises like Cranky Kong, all with the goal of stopping someone from breaking the elemental seals or something. This isn't like Bowser Jr's journey and is instead more like a Fire Emblem tactical rpg, minus the permadeath. For a more tradtional Bowser's Minions style campaign Wario could make his Mario and Luigi debut and "buy" properties in an attempt to make his own kingdom, and by buy I mean shake people down with his hired goons, all the while discovering a conspiracy that could shatter the Mushroom Kingdom. This may sound complicated but I feel like a game like this should celebrate the greater Mario franchise.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Mario and Luigi: Double Brother Trouble

Now while I do think Wario and Waluigi would be cool partners, I think from a practical and narrative standpoints it will be a mess. I mean how should we deal with 4 characters at one, rather they should be controlled separately and can be swapped between the two with a special block or something. Wario and Waluigi would have their own separate campaign from Mario and Luigi and both brothers can influence the others depending on what you do and in what order. For example there could be a scenario where both need to encounter a Klump to get a special fruit or something. One could have Mario and Luigi buy the fruit from the Klump to give to someone else (Maybe for Cranky Kong or something) but that would mean that Wario and Waluigi have to get that fruit from them as well and possibly battle them (Cranky Kong would be a good bossfight). On the other hand Wario and Waluigi can steal the fruit while he is asleep and Klump will accuse the other bros of being the thief and the Klump will fight them instead. Additionally, Wario and Waluigi will have different methods of traversal and battle, rather than hammers. Wario used his shoulder dashes to break stones and provide forward momentum; Waluigi can instead use a Bazooka to shoot projectiles at difficult-to-reach targets. Furthermore, these one-of-a-kind weapons can deliver unique Bros Attacks such as shooting Wario out of a cannon, or have Waluigi become a slingshot for Wario's garlic. In terms of stats, Wario has more HP and defense but slower speed, and Waluigi is frailer but faster. Finally I think there should be summons, weather that being summoning common enemies or summoning past Mario characters to be used in Bros Attack like offensive measures. Summons feel like a natural next step for this series and should be implemented in the next game

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
The gameplay will always be focusing on two characters at a time, except for maybe including some special cases such as in the final area of the game, or something.

Which two characters exactly you’ll be controlling at any given time will be dependent on the point in the story- or you could perhaps have some points where you can swap between characters in certain areas.

Anyways, while Mario and Luigi continue to play like they always have together, you will be able to play as any combination of four characters, and they each have different combined abilities. There will often be challenges that can only be overcome with one or two specific characters.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Title Ideas
I got four possible names for this game:
  • M&L: Anti-Allies
  • M&L: Rivals of Greed
  • M&L: Wacky Wahventures ("Wacky Adventures" with W letters)
  • M&L: Unexpected WAHlliance (The word "Alliance" but with Wah at the front)
(I picture the "M" and "L" scribbled out with a terribly drawn "W" and upside-down "L" written over)

Gameplay:
I don't know how it would work with four characters, but the combos/duo attacks would be hilarious and fun as well interactions.

I think having it like Partners in Time could work, maybe.

And I would have the Giant Battles return for this because I love the idea of two huge beings towering over the landscape fighting and brawling.
(This time, it would be Wario who turns big to fight, last time was Bowser and Luigi back in Inside Story and Dream Team)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Vote for your top 3 in each category, with your own below 1st.

Title Votes
  1. Double Brother Trouble
  2. Anti-Allies
  3. Rivals of Greed
Gameplay Votes
  1. Torgo
  2. Glubbfubb
  3. Mamboo

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
WAHaligiance
Double Brother Trouble
Rivals of Greed

Mamboo
Glubbfubb
Torgo

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Double Brother Trouble
Sibling Rivalry
Wacky WAHventures

Torgi
Glubbflubb
Mamboo7

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
A New Gang Of Villains has Kidnapped has not stolen all the Money,Gold,Diamonds in the world but also Princess Peach and Daisy while Mario and Luigi want to save the Princesses Wario and Waluigi and to take all of the riches that the New Gang Of Villains have stolen

Top Bottom