• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Konami vs Capcom: Concerto of Champions

Should our game be 3v3 or 2v2? Or something else?

• 3v3

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • 2v2

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • screw it, we’re making this a 4v4 i guess

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #18: New Fighters Debuted from the 1980's

Capcom Fighter - Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)

Sir Arthur is the main protagonist/hero of Capcom's run-and-gun platformer series, Ghosts 'n Goblins, which was created by Tokuro Fujiwara (who produced multiple series like Mega Man, Strider and Resident Evil; even coincidentally worked on Konami's Pooyan and Roc 'N Rope) and the first eponymous game debuted in the arcades on 1985, which was known for it's reputation as one of the most difficult games of all time (for you kids, Dark Souls before DS). Before going further down with research, I'm saying first that he's a natural pick for being a fun and beloved platforming character on his own as explained below, and fits well with some Konami games like Castlevania, Rocket Knight Adventures, Knightmare (Popolon), etc.

The game was ported and released multiple times on a variety of consoles and spawned several sequels and spin-offs (including Maximo and Gargoyle's Quest which starred Firebrand, member of the infamous Red Arremers). It was even Capcom's 13th best-selling franchise, having sold over 4.2 million units and had a recent release the last year with Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection. Both the franchise and Arthur himself became so iconic they also made frequent cameo appearances in Capcom's library such as Cannon Spike, Mega Man Powered Up, Namco x Capcom and it's spiritual successor Project X Zone, the Marvel vs. Capcom series where Arthur first appeared as an assist character in Clash of Super Heroes before being promoted as a playable fighter in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (his reveal was a big deal as shown above; alternate video) and Infinite, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a downloadable Mii costume/spirit and Archie Comics' crossover comic Worlds Unite.

As a gallant, courageous knight who is determined to rescue his dear Princess Prin Prin from all those nasty demons who reside in the Demon Realm (twice per each journey, even in his underwear/boxers), Arthur is armed with his signature (usually fragile) silver armor and a trusty lance that he can use by throwing it at enemies. He can also utilize multiple types of weapons such as a sword, axes, torches, knives (hence Angry Video Game Nerd's wise words), thrown discs, scythes, a crossbow, shields, whips, etc., with even Psycho Cannon (potentially replaces Goddess' Bracelet as a Level 3 super since Lucifer is a boss now) and armors which powers up his weapons to make them more stronger since a sequel, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, alongside powerful magic techniques (see notable attacks/techniques) by charging up special moves when using the Golden Armor (replacing Emperor Armor from Marvel vs. Capcom 3). He can also summon the Three Wise Guys to help him in-battle like creating a barrier around him and temporarily flying in the air.

Capcom Fighter - Billy Bob (Gun.Smoke)

Billy Bob is the main protagonist of the 1985 vertical scrolling run-and-gun shooter game, Gun.Smoke, which was designed by Yoshiki Okamoto (who later worked on Final Fight and Street Fighter II) and developed by Capcom for the arcades, before it was ported to various consoles such as Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom Disk System and the MSX, besides various collections of Capcom's arcade games, much like it's older and more popular "brother", Commando (which is related to Bionic Commando). He is a 21-year-old bounty hunter who goes after ten vicious criminals of the Wild West by shooting them down with his signature dual revolvers and riding on his horse, able to collect special items to increase his stats and pick up more efficient weapons like rifles, shotguns, magnums and smart bombs.

Interestingly enough, Rockstar's famous Red Dead franchise actually started as a cancelled spiritual successor to Gun.Smoke by Okamoto himself, which was later re-worked to Red Dead Revolver once Rockstar bought Angel Studios, which originally worked with Capcom on a impressive Nintendo 64 port of Resident Evil 2. Gun.Smoke was also referenced in other games such as Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure and Namco x Capcom.

In Konami vs. Capcom, for his moveset/techniques, Billy Bob isn't exactly much of a well-trained hand-to-hand combatant, but is able to compensate for it with his impressive gunslinger skills and wielding multiple types of firearms such as his two revolvers which he can fire simultaneously with pinpoint accuracy, rifles which offer greater range than normal pistols (by crouching down for a "crackshot"), a shotgun for close-range blasts and magnums for bullet sprays. Billy Bob can also make use of dynamite sticks to blow down opponents, a lasso to catch and pull the opponent towards him, his horse "Striker" to charge forward while being able to rapidly shoot his revolvers at the same time and signature Capcom arcade elements like Yashichi for a powerful rifle draw shot that explodes in an X-shaped formation, and "POW!" which deals damage to opponents by shaking the screen like a earthquake upon firing it, going harder each shot before exploding.

Heck, imagine Billy Bob in a good ol' Wild Western shoot-out with his potential rival fighter, Cormano from Sunset Riders (that's right, the man himself and a 4-player walkthrough), which also works for their contrasting personalities.

For Konami, I'm going for a re-submission.

Konami Fighter - Oolong (Yie ar Kung-Fu)

Oolong (also named as Lee Young in the first game's MSX and Famicom versions alongside a sequel, Yie Ar Kung-Fu II - if they're not a same character though, at least Lee would probably appear as an alternate costume) is the main protagonist of Yie Ar Kung-Fu, which was released in the arcades on October 25, 1984 and March 1985 in Japan (limited) and overseas respectively, exactly said three years before the original Street Fighter. Which speaking of, he would actually work as a good rival for Ryu.

It's plot focuses on a martial artist named Oolong himself going in a quest to become the Grand Master of Kung-Fu, honoring the memory of his father who was defeated in the final match for his mastership, facing eleven deadly martial arts masters in process.

Inspired by Bruce Lee's Hong Kong martial arts films and influenced by 1984's Karate Champ, Yie Ar Kung-Fu was known as one of the games that established the basis for modern fighting games (like having a health bar, unique cast of opponents with different skill sets and different sets of moves distinguished by punch/kick buttons), having become a commercial success and the best-selling home video game of 1986 in the United Kingdom, even ported to various home systems such as Famicom/NES, MSX, Commodore 64 and Game Boy Advance. The year later, it even got a official sequel released only for consoles and various fighting games created by Konami like Shao-lin's Road and Martial Champion were related to the series, as a former was marketed as it's follow-up and a latter was originally planned to be released as "Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2". This probably makes his inclusion historical in similar terms to R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch in Smash, besides his older self appearing in New International Track & Field on Nintendo DS.

Considering their shared origins from Bruce Lee himself, Oolong would definitely borrow some attacks and techniques from Street Fighter's Fei Long, maybe even utilizing a unique 8-directional attack system from his games similarly to Tekken's Kazuya Mishima in his guest appearance from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He can also jump very high and potentially use various weapons from his opponents such as shurikens (Star), nunchakus (Nuncha), bo staffs (Pole), chains with claws on them (Chain), spiked clubs (Club), steel fans (Fan), swords (Sword), tonfas (Tonfun), daggers (Bishoo & Mei Ling), etc., even being able to summon fireballs like Tao from the NES/MSX ports (except with one hand akin to Ryo Sakazaki's Ko'ou Ken and Dan's Gadoken instead of his mouth), potentially fill the screen with lightning bolts like Li-Jen from Yie Ar Kung-Fu II and a bowl of lo mein in the same game, that makes Oolong/Lee temporarily invincible for a short period of time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Strider Hiryu
Ninjas are cool. This guy has a pretty good track record of appearing in VS games. It only makes sense to include him in a game where he'll be appearing alongside characters like the cyborg ninjas from MGS and Goemon.

Bill Rizer
Contra is an arcade classic. A former solder qho fights terrorists and aliens. Bill would fight with the various heavy weaponry found in the games. Lance could jump in to help him in some moves.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Capcom:
  1. Haggar
  2. Arthur (the original devil hunter himself; better bring that Psycho Cannon up against a foul demon king)
Konami:
  1. TwinBee
  2. Oolong

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, time for the results:

Capcom:
  • Haggar: 4
  • Spencer: 3
  • Arthur: 7
  • Strider: 4

Konami:
  • TwinBee: 6
  • Bonk: 1
  • Oolong: 2
  • Bill: 9
Looks like our next duo of characters are Sir Arthur and Bill Rizer! Give it up for tonygameman tonygameman and @Darkonedagger for getting their characters in. I plan to move on to next job tomorrow, but I wanna open the floor for another discussion before going further.

Discussion #3: What kinds of jobs should we do in the future?

We’re doing a good ol’ fashion spitballing session for this discussion. For full transparency, life has been super overwhelming for me lately. I haven’t been able to dedicate the time I needed to in order to keep this thread engaging, and as a result I haven’t had time to lay out as complete of a roadmap as I’d like. Don’t get me wrong, I still have ideas for other jobs after we’re finished with the decades, but I’m worried that I’m going to hit a brick wall eventually. Maybe I’m just paranoid because of the last job’s low turnout, but I really wanna keep this thread afloat and see this to the end.

Right now I’m just looking to hear what kinda of jobs you would like to see in the future. They can be character related or something related to extra content, preferably the latter because that’s what I’m having the most trouble with. Any general feedback about how I’m running the thread would also be appreciated.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Without a full roster, we can't really do ones where we figure out each character's rival for arcade mode, but I would love to see one for that by the end. I'd also like to see submit a mechanic come back at some point, and maybe submit a costume pack? Capcom usually has fun skins for all their fighting games nowadays, so I think it would be appropriate.

I also just think more of these general discussions are good. It's nice to have rounds that take a break from submissions and everyone can kind of weigh in on a topic. I don't really have any ideas but I think that ones we've seen so far like 'who do you want in' or 'should Yu-Gi-Oh!' count are good.

As for feedback, I can only speak from my perspective on the last round, and being honest, it was a pretty rough and busy sunday, monday, and tuesday, and I was really struggling to find an 80's character I was happy with for either brand that wasn't already submitted or in the game. My only real idea was re-submitting Poison, and i didn't want the Final Fight reps to cannibalize each other so :drshrug:. I don't think it's your fault. It was a holiday weekend, and I know what I'd submit in a 90's and 00's round, at least. I'm sure things are going to turn around.

I also think you're doing a good job as a thread runner. I've actually really liked all the topics so far. Some are a bit harder for me than others, I'll admit, like submit a mode, but I'm engaged and I'm having fun.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm having a great time with the thread. The concept is still excellent, I'm excited at how the roster is coming together, the addition of giant characters is just great, and it's gonna be fun to pair everyone up by the end. The only reason I was low on participation this last few rounds has to do with my own life getting too busy for me to do a deep dive and I was bummed about that because I felt like none of my Capcom boss suggestions were really clicking in a way that would be at least as good as if not better than what was already submitted. As for the 80s round, that really just had to do with not being able to do the dive and find the character or series that sparked joy for me, nothing wrong with the actual submissions or process at all.

I wonder about the scope of the project. A Capcom Vs. game has to be pretty thematically consistent for it to succeed. I think we have a lot of great connections between the companies, especially with how we're looking a lot at Castlevania and Devil May Cry, gods, monsters, plus mechs and soldiers and such, magic users...lots of cool parallel potential that's slowly being realized, but when constructing a roster piecemeal like this it takes a lot of effort to make sure that every character can consistently line up and bring something fun to the roster when viewed as a whole, not just personality-wise but gameplay-wise as well...

Apart from more character jobs, maybe we can look into fighting style jobs? It'd need some thought but for example "Submit a character who fights like a duo" "Submit a puppet character concept" etc. Mechanics in a fighting game are so important, especially in a versus game. Though I suppose that'd need people who are invested in the hypothetical gameplay of a fighting game, but hey, could be fun.

Maybe, once we have our bosses figured out, we could pitch a story or framework concept? That'd give us a clear vision of where to go with the sub-bosses and the remaining roster.

Otherwise I second jobs based around fleshing the customization and costumes mode, that sounds quite fun.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, thank you all for the feedback! It was all incredibly helpful and I’ll make sure to implement as much of it as I can. Whenever I get time this week I’ll sit down and update this project’s roadmap with this feedback in mind. I was also able to come up with some cool ideas of my own yesterday, so there’s plenty of stuff coming down the pipeline. There’s one thing in particular that I’ve really wanted to tackle for quite some time but haven’t quite found the right angle for, but I think I might’ve worked something out. We’ll likely have a discussion revolving around it soon, so stay tuned for that. All I’ll say is that it’s something that I think will really help flesh out our project and isn’t anything I’ve really seen attempted with these kinds of traditional fighting game threads, at least from what I’ve glanced.

I’m also relieved to hear that there isn’t anything wrong with how I’m managing this thread, at least according to the feedback I got. I’m a very self-critical person and this is my first rodeo as a creation thread runner, so I worry a lot about if I’m secretly Ruining Everything. In hindsight, starting the 80s character job on Easter Sunday was probably the biggest ****-up I’ve made with this thread. But honestly? One poorly timed job is something we can easily bounce back from.

Anywho enough about my plight as a thread runner, let’s move onto our next job.

Jon #20: Submit a Capcom stage and Konami stage from a game that debuted in the 1980s

We’re not just stopping at characters for the decade rounds. Along with the new fighters, we’re also going to add an accompanying stage from each company from that era. Only rule besides the location having to have debuted in the 80s is that it has to be from a franchise that doesn’t already have a stage. So no Mega Man, Bomberman, or Street Fighter. Same format for stage posts still applies: describe what the stage would look like, any possible cameos or gimmicks, so on and so forth. Got it? Let’s see what stages yall can come up with!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Contra-3.gif

Jungle
Based on the iconic opening levels from Contra. Players fight in a lush jungle full of trees, with a background pretty similar to the game. Enemy soilders have set up camp. But eventually the heroes of Contra will show up to save the day. Perhaps as an Easter egg they could be joined by Charile and Guile.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
There are plenty of great options, but I kind of want to see Castlevania have a stage, considering it's one of Konami's big boys, and I still really like my idea of a clock tower stage given its a reoccurring location throughout the franchise and I think it would look pretty. I made just a few slight adjustments to this.

Job #6: Konami Stage: Clock Tower (Castlevania)

The clock tower has been a major location in nearly every single Castlevania game dating back to the first one, and more or less feels like a mix between a clock tower and a cathedral. It would both be a pretty iconic location from the games, and make for a cool and visually interesting stage. I don't have a specific image to pull from, but this image from Lords of Shadow would be the closest to what I'm imagining, just with stuff like the pendulum and the giant clock actually in the background, with a flat floor top in the foreground.

I would have bats and medusa heads travel through the stage and provided they aren't playable and fighting in the match, you could have cameos from a few of capcom's various vampires (Demitri Maximoff, Shade Man, and the House Dimitrescu) just hanging out from in the shadows and watching the fight. Maybe even have Firebrand fly alongside the bats. He's not a vampire, but Ghosts N' Goblins' world has a similar enough vibe.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I might try my hands at a Capcom stage later, but here’s an idea for a Konami stage that I think would be pretty Epic

Job #19 (Konami Side): Neo Kobe City (Snatcher)

86772381-A9ED-4134-8A67-F488F56B4E9B.jpeg

I’ve expressed my interest in seeing Snatcher representation in this project before, and I still stand by thinking that it’d be a great addition. While I’d love to see Gillian get in somewhere down the line, for now I’d like to pitch a stage centered around the game’s main setting: Neo Kobe City. An east Asian cyberpunk metropolis crawling with robots known as Snatchers who kill humans and wear their skin to blend in with society.

The stage would take place in the streets of the futuristic city, with neon signs showing various Konami and Capcom related logos. Some of the titular Snatchers can be seen walking around in the background, along with some other iconic robots from Capcom and Konami’s catalog. Maybe something like a few robot masters from Mega Man or Seth Street Fighter. Regardless, I just think a cyberpunk city stage would be really cool and visually striking, and it’s one of the main reasons I’d love to see Snatcher representation here.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 19 (Konami): Freeway (Frogger)
1650831024721.png

Look at that little frog go! Yes, it's the freeway from Frogger, the place that everyone's favorite green guy has to hop across to get to work. I picture this stage as being from a side view with the combatants on the edge where Frogger starts. In the distance you see the river, logs and turtles and all. It's a very bright and colorful stage, perhaps based on the PS1 game's "Retro Zone".

1650831144344.png

I don't see it being big on cameos or anything, though I think the trucks could have different series' emblems on them, and maybe some of the cars resemble ones from Capcom and Konami's other car-themed franchises, such as Konami GT and the famous car that gets smashed in Street Fighter and Final Fight.

---

Job 19 (Capcom): Bowling Alley (Capcom Bowling)

1650831602714.png
1650831617517.png

Okay so hear me out

Technically, Capcom Bowling is just that, a basic bowling game. But I think bowling alleys are cool! They're all pretty standard places with beautiful woodgrain, decor stuck in the late-80s, a few ancient arcade machines, and bad food. And I think it'd be really fun to have a stage based around that idea! I love Kapukon Yu as a concept in this game, a place where we see a ton of cameos of characters just relaxing, and I love stages that are a bit more conceptual in nature so...yeah! It's a bowling alley, and in the background we see characters lounging about - perhaps characters from Capcom Sports Club or Konami's sportier titles, plus surprises too! I just think it'd be funny if Fortune from MGS2 was seen devouring a plate of cheese fries while waiting for her turn to bowl. So yes, the fight would be taking place in the carpeted area while the lanes are being used in the background and people are having a good time with their recreation.

Each round could even take place at different times of the day, with the sportier characters in round 1 (morning) for a regional tournament, round 2 in the afternoon where people are there to kick back, and the final round could transform the whole stage into Cosmic Bowling with a blacklight and intense music and everything. And of course, you can't go wrong with the ancient arcade machines on either side paying tribute to some of Konami and Capcom's more classic titles.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alllright gamers, I’d say enough time has passed for us to start voting. Here’s what we got:

Capcom:
Vote for your favorite Capcom stage here:

Konami:
Vote for your top two stages. Your own submission can only go in last place.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, voting is now closed! First up, The Bowling Alley will be our next Capcom stage! Congrats to Flyboy Flyboy for getting her stage in! Now onto the Konami side of things:

Jungle: 2
Clock Tower: 7
Neo Kobe: 9
Freeway: 3

Aaaaand our Konami stage is none other than Neo Kobe City! Not sure who submitted that one, but they seem really based. Now onto the next round!

Job #21: Submit a new gameplay mechanic (again)

Before we move on to the 90s, we’re doing gameplay mechanics again. Normally I wouldn’t repeat a past job so soon, but this is an aspect of our game that I really want to see fleshed out some more. I think the affinity system we currently have is fantastic and really helps our game stand out mechanically, but it’d never hurt to add onto that. Also, not to get too ahead of myself, but there’s something I have in the works that some extra gameplay mechanics may or may not help really flesh out. It can be something like an additional movement option, a special move that fighters can perform, or anything else your brain can come up with. As long as it’s something that affects how the game is played and it doesn’t overlap too much with our established Affinity System, it’s on the table regardless of how big or small it is. Anywho that’s it for me, submit away!

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #21: Another Mechanic - Summon/Assist System

Returning from Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, this mechanic allows the player to summon a randomly-selected assist/helper character who performs a certain move before leaving, but they can be knocked away with a hit and only be used with a limited amount of times in-battle, however.

For Konami vs. Capcom, some balancing tweaks and changes are made such as assists being choosable before the match/arcade mode, able to perform three different moves (light, medium and heavy) depending on the attack button, their moves becoming stronger when the player's Affinity reaches higher and the ability to perform super moves themselves, which can also be activated during a team super, though it wastes half of the super meter/bar and also costs two assist uses.

As an example (though not a submission, which I feel would be a free-time thing like Capsule Toys in Battle of AGES, unless we decide on how many assists we'll have - and no, don't think about immediately deconfirming future fighters), the Red Arremer (or Firebrand as he was called with a former/species name in Japanese versions of his own games) from Ghosts n' Goblins:
  • Light - Red Arremer spits a slow-moving fireball straight forward from it's mouth. When an Affinity is higher, a fireball moves faster and does more damage.
  • Medium - Red Arremer flies into the air, summoning a small Blue Killer that floats towards the opponent and attacks with it's small claws. When an Affinity is higher, Red Arremer will summon a group of three Blue Killers instead, which does more damage. Based on how Red Arremer King attacks Arthur in Ghouls n' Ghosts and how it summons demon enemies (especially Puchi/Petite Devils) in SNK vs. Capcom: SvC Chaos.
  • Heavy - Red Arremer hovers into the air and performs an angled-downwards diving attack in an arc to the other side. When an Affinity is higher, Red Arremer will grab the opponent while diving and flies towards the ground to slam them after finishing an arc. Based on Demon Missile's heavy version in MvC3 and one of the attacks it performs in the series.
  • Super - Red Arremer uses the Crest of Infinity to transform into a purple Ultimate Gargoyle and then floats into the air, releasing out a blue multi-hitting, dragon-shaped stream of flames by breathing it from it's mouth while sweeping it up. Based on Firebrand's Dark Fire Hyper Combo in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and the Dark Flare attack in Demon's Crest, which Firebrand acquires when unlocking the Legendary Gargoyle form.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, enough time has passed. Assists will be our next gameplay mechanic! I’ve thought about how we’ll be handling adding assists, and I think what I’m going to do is have at least one assist job for each of our represented series when applicable, with a few miscellaneous assist jobs sprinkled in near the end for series that couldn’t quite make the cut, or to fill in the gaps for series that don’t have big enough casts to warrant an assist slot on top of a playable character (think your retro games where the protagonist is basically the only major character). I don’t have a clear cut number of assists in mind since I don’t even know how many series we’ll end up repping in our roster, but I’ll be sure the big bois end up with at least one assist.

Anywho, congrats to tonygameman tonygameman for his mechanic making it in! We’ll do our first assist job Soon™️, but for now, let’s move on to the next character job!

Job #23: Submit a Capcom character and a Konami character who debuted in the 1990s

We already tackled the 80s, and now it’s time to move on to our next decade. And what an eventful decade it was for both Konami and Capcom. Both companies continued to dominate on the arcade scene, with the success of Street Fighter II enabling Capcom to pump out even more fighting game hits, Dance Dance Revolution becoming a worldwide phenomenon on Konami’s end, and both companies having a pretty hefty catalog of classic beat-em-ups. The duo were no slouch in the home console market either. As the NES era came to a close, both Capcom and Konami continued their strong relations with Nintendo into the SNES era before shifting their focuses on developing some of the PlayStation’s most foundational titles. Also Konami got really into this PC Engine thing from Hudson Soft, but I’m sure that won’t foreshadow any sort of corporate merger within the coming decades. All around, a pretty busy decade for the two titans of the gaming industry, which gives us plenty of material to work with.

Same procedure as last time still applies here. Submit a 90s character for company, but don’t feel pressured to do both if you only have an idea for one. Also characters from already repped series are still on the table, but be mindful of the three character limit. I will also clarify that as long as the character themselves debuted in the 90s, it doesn’t matter if their series started before then. Got it? Then let’s start submitting!

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Damn it, I was thinking about re-submitting Sparkster, but to convince people more about the character, there's this appendum post linked right here for HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 .

Job #23: New Fighters Debuted from the 1990's

Capcom Fighter - Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)

To start it little quickly, Resident Evil, as everyone knows, is a survival horror video game series which started in March 1996 on the original PlayStation and suddenly became Capcom's best-selling series and many other stuff like novelizations, animated sequels such as Infinite Darknes and film adaptations were brought up upon it's success. It's very clear that Resident Evil has to be represented because of it's position as one of the biggest Capcom franchises. Plus, it'll go well alongside Silent Hill.

Leon S. Kennedy is one of the major protagonists, who first started off in Resident Evil 2 as a rookie for the Raccoon City Police Department and ended up in a zombie outbreak right in his first day and has to escape it while teaming up with the first game's protagonist Chris Redfield's sister, Claire. He later appeared in Resident Evil 4 as the main protagonist where he returned as a D.S.O agent, who was assigned to rescue the president's daughter, Ashley Graham, from a sinister cult.

As a fan-favorite, Leon would possibly work as the first Resident Evil rep and potentially take his fellow protagonists Jill Valentine & Chris' place for a change (with Lady Dimitrescu taking Nemesis'), as he was once considered for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom before being cut. His moveset certainly would involve him using multiple weapons like a knife, handgun, shotgun (Stryker), grenades, flash bangs that stun the opponent for a while, flamethrower, rocket launcher, etc. Leon can also summon various enemies like zombies to attack the opponent like Jill did in Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes and even have Ada Wong accompanying him in a helicopter from RE4 for his Level 3 super.

Konami Fighter - Cormano (Sunset Riders)

"BURY ME WITH MY MONEY." YUPPIE! You heard that right, pardners!

Cormano Wild (as called in the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive version) is one of the four protagonists in a 4-player side-scrolling run-and-gun game Sunset Riders, which Konami developed for the arcades in 1991 and later ported for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive two years later (1993), with the original arcade version re-released on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch through Arcade Archives. It takes place in the American Old West, where four bounty hunters (Steve, Bob, Billy and Cormano himself, who is the best) are seeking the rewards offered for various criminals by shooting them down.

To see the whole game itself in it's 16-bit glory, check this video below.

For his moveset, Cormano would utilize his double-barrel "Riot Gun" shotgun (Winchester Model 1200 in real life) to blast off the opponent at not only a close range, but also shoot bullets forward like other protagonists' weapons used in Sunset Riders. He can also shoot a spreading shot diagonally upwards, use dual shotguns for a more powerful projectile attack, smack the opponent with a glass bottle (based on his animation when exiting a saloon), perform a sliding kick attack on the ground, throw dynamite sticks that explode on impact, drop hanging rocks/barrels/torches from the sky by quickly shooting at it and mounted gatling guns from the final stage. Cormano can maybe even use his sombrero like a ricocheting boomerang that flies back to him akin to Captain America's Shield Slash, as a reference to how El Greco tosses his own to Cormano before dying if you defeat him as the latter, which he then wears for the remainder of the game.

For potential super moves, Cormano will summon his fellow three bounty hunters; Steve, Billy and Bob, as they all open fire at the opponent with their dual power-up weapons similarly to Deadpool's Happy-Happy Trigger and B.B. Hood's Cool Hunting Hyper Combos. He can also ride on a red horse as it gallops forward to tackle the opponent in-front of it, with Cormano using his shotgun when a player presses the attack button for additional damage. For his Level 3 super, it has to involve a bull stampede with Cormano running right on the top of them while the opponent ends up being ran over, complete with "RUN TO AVOID GETTING KILLED!"

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #23:

Capcom: Captain Commando

I was debating between him and Regina Dino Crisis, but Captain Commando won a coin toss, and I think he adds some nice variety given the other pick so far is also a survival horror rep. We're talking about a super cool, very 90's mascot who would be perfect for this.

Why him? When I think 90's Konami and Capcom, I think of how they really dominated the "beat 'em up" genre. I know we can't exactly add Homer Simpson or Punisher, but there's plenty of great choices, I think, in their original IPs. Captain Commando I just think he'd make a fun fight against the more machine and firearm-heavy characters. So, Metal Gear characters, Contra characters, and if we somehow get them in, maybe like...Probotector.

I'd also really love to get Konami Man to compliment him down the line, but we can knock him out for now and get to Konami Man later.

Job #2:
Capcom Character:
Captain Commando
View attachment 347371
Crime-fighting vigilante Captain Commando is the leader of a group that consists of him and his three sideki--I mean "Commando Companions": Mack the Knife, an alien that looks like a mummy, Ginzu the Ninja, a highly trained ninja, and Baby Head, a baby who pilots a giant robot body. Together, they look to rid Metro City of its crime epidemic!

While he is considered a failed mascot, he is beloved by Capcom with plenty of cameos and appearances, as well as the focus of the beat-em-up game, Captain Commando. His moves would have a mix of his strong punches and electrical attacks like how he plays in the beat em up, as well as cameo strike moves from his Commando Companions.
Konami: Power Pro-Kun

Power Pro Kun2.png

I talked about getting him in. Now it's time to play ball! BATTER UP!

Power Pro-kun is the mascot of Konami's extremely popular long-running baseball game series, Power Pro. When in game, it's a very solid and fun baseball experience, but what separates this series from your normal simulation series is that there's RPG elements to boost your stats after each game. The series has given Konami consistent commercial success and critical praise. Between all different versions, this series has a whopping 95 entries. He's also had a good track record with Konami crossovers. No pun intended, but he was in International Track & Field. Also Konami Krazy Racers, and that Konami Smash Bros rip-off game with Optimus Prime.

As for why I'd want him playable, I think Baseball characters are untapped potential. Junpei from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax was great, but we don't really have as many examples compared to some other sports. You can make about every part of his moveset something for baseball. Give him a baseball slide, let him hit people with a baseball bat, have him catch projectiles with his mitt and throw it back at him. I would even give him a flaming fastball as a projectile for mirror matches. There's a lot about him I think would be fun in a fighting game, and I think he would show the diversity of Konami's work in the same way Phoenix Wright does for Capcom in UMvC3. I also think he doubles as a really good weirdo character for this. He's not exactly proportional to most of the roster, other than Arthur, but I think his cutesy style and floating limbs will help him stand out.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, so we all know that both Konami and Capcom have their bread-and-butter genres that they like to dip into. Capcom has their fighting games, Konami’s got their shooters, and both companies have their fair share of action platformers. However, one genre that almost rarely, if ever, get associated with the companies are RPGs. And while yes, neither company’s catalogs are particularly dense with JRPG classics, they still have that one flagship JRPG franchise that’s fondly remembered by most fans of the genre. Konami has the Suikoden series, and Capcom has Breath of Fire. I already said my piece on Suikoden when we did the first character job, but I wanna make my case for Capcom’s JRPG franchise as well.

Job #23 (Capcom): Nina (Breath of Fire)

AFA59B69-1CB5-468D-A6CC-98D9881A7D30.jpeg

Nina is the main heroine of the Breath of Fire series, serving the protaginist role alongside the series’ male lead, Ryu. Nina’s character isn’t always consistent between games due to each Nina and Ryu being different characters, but most incarnations are winged warrior princesses of the fae tribe.

I’m honestly shocked Breath of Fire hasn’t been in one of these things yet. Yeah it’s not quite the most iconic Capcom property, but the series has quite the dedicated fandom and it still gets acknowledged by Capcom from time to time. The series’ latest entry came out in 2016 (albiet in F2P form), it’s not like they’ve completely neglected it in the modern era. I imagine using a lot of wing-based attacks, elemental magic, and her rapier or wand in her moveset. As for which Nina we would use... Honestly I’m not super familiar with how the fandom feels about each Nina, but from what I could gleam BoF3 and 4 seem to be the fan-favorites so maybe one of those. Or maybe do an original design for Nina which draws elements from all her incarnations. We can cross that bridge when we get there though. But yeah, Nina is pretty epic.

I’m also gonna resubmit Riou alongside Nina. I still think Suikoden is something we should rep on our roster in some capacity and the Suikoden II protag seems like a good bet. Also I just think Suikoden and Breath of Fire would be another fun parallel for us to have, much like Castlevania and Devil May Cry or Mega Man and Bomberman.
Konami Character: Riou (Suikoden)

View attachment 347351

Here we have the main protagonist of Suikoden II. Riou is a young soldier of the Highland Army’s Unicorn Youth Brigade. As a child, he was left orphaned during a war and was adopted by the hero Genkaku. He’s generally a laid-back person and believes in fighting for what’s right.

I knew I wanted to get a Suikoden character in here ever since we decided we were doing Konami. I mean it’s the Konami JRPG franchise and though the series has been dormant for quite some time, it still has a huge following of dedicated fans who are clamoring for the series to come back. Whenever the topic of “best PSX JRPGs” comes up, chances are you’re gonna hear one of the Suikoden games come into the conversation. Much like most popular JRPG franchises, Suikoden has a rotating cast of characters that changes with each game, so landing on just one character is a bit of a tricky task. Ultimately I landed on Riou because A., Suikoden II seems to be the most well-regarded entry from my research on the series, and B., he fills a unique weapon niche as a tonfa fighter. I’m not a Suikoden expert by any means, but I think he’d be neat.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Natsu (Rival Schools)
She's my personal pick. Not only because Batsu and Akira ar the most popular and i want somehting more original, but also because she's my waifu.

D

Deleted member

LinnKurosawa.jpg

Linn Kurosawa
A cyborg martial arts master and space marine. She is a playable character in Capcom's Alien vs Preadtor aracde game and was created for that game, being a capcom creation. She has a lot of skills from that game to pull from.
YugoHumanBRX.jpg

Yugo Ogami

A main character from the Bloody Roar series, a popular fighting game series. He can turn into a wolf for his attacks.

Top Bottom