• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Konami vs Capcom: Concerto of Champions

Should our game be 3v3 or 2v2? Or something else?

• 3v3

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • 2v2

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • screw it, we’re making this a 4v4 i guess

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Capcom:
  1. Edward Falcon
  2. Tessa
  3. Arthur
Konami:
  1. TwinBee
  2. Goemon
  3. Oolong (grandfather of fighting games)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Morrigan
2. Falcon
3. Tessa

1. Goemon
2. Twinbee
3. Yugo

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Capcom:
1. Tessa (I just truly think she's neat)
2. Super Ace (Fantastic cut, and since Konami is known for great shoot-em-ups this would be clever and fun. Would love to see him versus the Vic Viper)
3. Edward Falcon (I like him :) and much like Tessa and Super Ace I just think he Fits!)

Konami:
1. Yugo (I loooove Bloody Roar and would love to get a character or two in here. It's a fighting game, c'mon!)
2. Goemon (He's a legend. Plus he's fun. I like him. Funny lil ninja guy. Also I Am Impact slaps)
3. Afro/Emi (Not to feel one-note but I just think they gotta be in)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Morrigan (gotta be in)
2. Haggar
3. Tessa

1. Goemon (MY GUY MY DUDE)
2. Afro and Emi
3. Twinbee

If we're talking sheer icon status then I'd prolly vote for Frogger but I somehow don't think he gels with this hypothetical game's vibe all that well

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, a full day has passed! Let's see those results

Capcom:
  • Arthur: 1
  • Tessa: 12
  • Morrigan: 10
  • Batsu: 0
  • Johnny: 0
  • Super Ace: 2
  • Haggar: 2
  • Falcon: 9
Konami:
  • Frogger: 0
  • Wanpyou: 0
  • Goemon: 14
  • Yugo: 4
  • Afro/Emi: 6
  • Oolong: 4
  • TwinBee: 9
In a surprise turn of events, it looks like our next two characters are gonna be Tessa and Goemon! Goemon winning was pretty much expected, but I did not expect us to get Tessa in this early. I kinda wish we used this opportunity to get Morrigan out of the way, but Tessa's really cool so I'm not complaining. Congrats to PuyoWitch PuyoWitch and Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule for getting their characters in! Anyway onto the next job, and hoooo boy this is gonna be a fun one.

Job #9: What should the Konami Code do?

If you're invested enough in Konami's library to participate in this thread, I shouldn't have to explain what the Konami Code is. Even if you're not a super big Konami nerd, the code "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start" is so ingrained in pop culture that it's been the posterchild of video game cheat codes for nearly 40 years. Ever since its debut in the NES port of Gradius, the code has been used in most of Konami's franchises at one point or another, whether it's to unlock power-ups to make the game easier, secret modes, or easter eggs. With this being a Konami crossover game, it'd be a huge missed opportunity not to have it in here somewhere, so we're putting the Konami Code in and we're gonna figure out what kind of wacky thing it's going to do. Honestly just go nuts with this one! As long as you're not trying to submit like, a specific character or stage or something for this job, whatever weird idea you have will likely fly with me. If you need help coming up with something, here's a list of all the games the Konami code was used in and what it did to give you some ideas:

Anyway that's it for me. Let's see what silly little cheat codes yall come up with.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #9: Fight Editor

This is a fighting game, so the focus should be on the fights. Thinking about what the Konami Code was used for in the past, and what kind of stuff I would love, I think this would be my ideal pick.

The basic idea is that it unlocks a special menu that allows you to open 'special settings' for your match. Think something a little similar to custom rules in Smash Bros, I suppose. It would include stuff like:

-Edit the time limit (Scale that goes from half the normal time to infinite time)
-Edit the damage output (Scale that goes from hard nerf everyone, or create some kind of 'one punch' mode)
-Edit the health bars (Either die in one hit just like Contra IRL or turn them into a Ratio 4 character in Capcom vs SNK)
-Adjust knockback (Either make your opponents fly across the screen or make them the unmovable object)
-Add or remove meter bars
-Editing the 3v3 limit (I don't know if this would mess up the whole 3v3 thing, but maybe even allow you to double or even triple your amount of people, but they only become available after one of your starting 3 has been knocked out)

You can also turn it on for just one team or both teams as a handicap mode, if you want. All these changes would be entirely offline, of course. Unless there was some sort of 'set your own rules' online mode where you can use the features.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #9: Cheat Menu

Look, I really tried to think of a better title for this but straight up couldn't. Help me out here.

Inputting the Konami Code unlocks a cheat menu! If I had to compare it to anything it'd be Goldeneye 007. It's a menu with a selection of aesthetic options that don't change hitboxes or gameplay but are mostly there to look funny or interesting. These choices can include Big Head Mode, a classic that gives the models much larger heads, different filters such as monochrome, wireframe, or a mosaic filter, modes that enable afterimages of fighters (sort of like if everyone had the Shun Goku Satsu effect), different hitsparks, exaggerated hitsparks, lighting levels in stages, tiny models, huge models, a free camera in the pause menu, and more. Basically a silly playground mode to aesthetically tweak the game, load it up with player-friendly debug options for use in offline play.

This one's more for laughs than anything, another way of just playing with the game as a fun extra.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #9: Shoot 'Em Up Minigame

Well, just like Fly's post, I didn't really feel about thinking of a better title for this, but let's get right into the point, okay?

Inspired by most shooter mini-games in the Tokimeki Memorial series (like Force Gear), those based on Gradius (first stage) & Xexex (second stage) in The Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Ganbare Goemon 2 respectively, and this thing included in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Ryu shouting "Hadoken!" non-stop when firing was just so damn funny), entering the code will allow the player to play a secret shoot 'em up minigame. The iconic Konami Code itself was first used in the Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom version of Gradius, before it was popularized in Contra. And considering how both companies has good variety of great genre-based titles on their own such as Capcom's 194X series, Commando, Gun.Smoke & Giga Wing and Konami's Scramble, TwinBee, Gradius & Xexex, so I guess it'll make sense to add this easter egg here.

This short Gradius-based mini-game consists of only a single stage, three lives and a time limit (3 minutes) to complete it, with the player character flying in outer space as they blast off various obstacles like meteors & random enemies from Capcom & Konami's shoot 'em up libraries and acquiring power-ups to make themselves more stronger. At the end of a mini-game, the player will face a huge Big Core ship with skull motifs based on Dr. Wily's Skull Blazer from his starbase, the Wily Star, in Mega Man V which was released for the Game Boy in 1994.

There's like ten different characters (not related to a main fighting gameplay) to pick up, with five characters from each company and having their own gimmicks borrowed right from the original source material. I didn't include Super Ace from 1942 for this submission, since a mini-game is about space. While in a title screen and settings/options menu (like difficulty), the Bubble System's warm-up countdown music "Konami Morning Music" (from the original TwinBee and Gradius, later on included via homages in KEYBOARDMANIA and the intro of Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits) will play on the background, with Gradius III's weapon select music in a character selection screen. Counterparts shown below are alternate characters with similar weapons who shares a slot, in case if two players are going for a cooperative experience and wants to use a same one.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, looks like the SHMUP minigame will be the secret Konami Code unlockable! Onto our next job!

Job #10: Submit a new single player mode

While fighting games are mostly known for their multiplayer, it never hurts to have any sort of additional single player content for players to occupy their time with. Aside from the standard arcade and training modes that I already included from the start, we’re gonna come up with another single player mode. The only thing I ask is that it stays relatively close to the established gameplay formula, and also do NOT submit a story mode. That’s just not something I plan on doing for this project and I’d rather we keep things relatively simple.

Also I have another thing I wanna talk about while we’re doing this job.

Discussion #1: Should we count Yu-Gi-Oh! as a first party Konami franchise?

Welcome to our first discussion period. These are much less formal than our usual jobs and mostly just serve as a way for yall to casually talk about certain topics and for me to gauge how I should approach this thread. Anyway, let’s talk about children’s card games.

So Yu-Gi-Oh! is kind of an enigma when it comes to the Konami side of things. On one hand, it originally started as a Shonen Jump manga without Konami’s involvement. It didn’t originate as a video game and was created outside of Konami’s jurisdiction, so that should be the end of the discussion, right? Wellllll, this is where’s thing’s get complicated. Aside from being the publisher of the Trading Card Game, Konami is super hands-on with the franchise. They publish the video games and, as far as I know, handle the anime’s distribution in North America. It’s in a really weird grey area and I wanna get yalls opinions on the subject before I make a definitive statement on the series’ status. I also don’t follow the franchise that closely, so I wanna get some input from folks who are more informed on it than I am. A few things to keep in mind for this discussion:
  • Given the nature of this project focusing on the video game side of both companies, there probably won’t be very many jobs where Yu-Gi-Oh! content would be eligible, so it’s not likely to be a super huge presence should we allow it
  • I’ve toyed around with the idea of doing a third party guest job near the end of our base game, so if Yu-Gi-Oh! ends up not being counted as a first party, it’ll definitely have a chance for that job.
Anyway that’s it for me. Get your single player modes in and let me know your thoughts on yoog.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
I'll think on the job, but for my take on the discussion...

Short answer: Not really, but I think it would be neat if we counted Yugi or Kaiba as a guest and added him anyways.

Long answer: I absolutely love Yu-Gi-Oh. I play the mobile game pretty often, and I loved the anime and manga to pieces as a kid. That said, if we're looking at this from a purist's perspective, it's absolutely Shonen Jump before it's Konami. They've worked hand-in-hand for years, but Jump has never really had an issue of including Yu-Gi-Oh! in their crossover games, even when the games are being done by Bandai Namco. Meanwhile, Konami has never used Yu-Gi-Oh! as a crossover for their other titles because I just don't think Konami feels like it's theirs to us. To give a recent example, Super Bomberman R had Gradius, Goemon, Zone of Enders, Metal Gear, Contra, Castlevania, Star Soldier, Rumble Roses, Parodius, Tokimeki Memorial, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, among others, but never dipped into Yu-Gi-Oh! in spite of its profitability. They made crossover games consistently until like late 2000s and never used him once.

I just feel like it's just a partnership, not ownership, but I would still love to see them. I agree with Darkondagger, and say just make it just the one character and make his appearance a big deal.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
On the topic of YGO, I'd say no. Despite their large amount of involvement, Konami still....technically don't own it to my knowledge. IMO, that should already take it out of consideration, but then Witch makes a very good point that Yoog has always been kinda disconnected from the Konami "family", you don't see Konami putting it in things, meanwhile Shueisha is out here slapping Yugi on like almost every Jump thing. It's very clear which of the two involved companies' libraries Yogurt feels a lot more integrated in and connected to, and hint hint: it ain't Konami. To me it really comes down to the fact that Yugoslavia is still a Jump thing first and foremost. The connection is very much there and I'm not opposed to Yugi being put in as a Wacky Guest - hell, I put him in my own Konami roster when I attempted one -, but I don't think it's right to treat it quite on the same level as any other Konami IP. That is my thesis on the manga with the funny face man

Job #10: Challenges/Missions

A pretty simple mode idea, but I think it's a good one to have. Basically you get a bunch of challenges where you have to fight under special conditions and can get rewards out of it. I think it'd be epic

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I think I’m gonna call it here for the discussion. It seems that the general consensus is that Yu-Gi-Oh! shouldn’t be treated as a Konami property and if we do include it, it should be as a Wacky Guest Pick. Taking that into account, I’ve come to the decision that Yu-Gi-Oh! content will not be eligible for any future first-party Konami jobs. Sorry to anyone who was really pushing for yoog, but you’re gonna have to hold off on the card game man with funny hair until the eventual guest job. Thanks to everyone for your input! It was really helpful and yall brought up a lot of great points that I haven’t really thought about, especially the argument of yoogert not really being closely associated with the rest of the Konami family.

I’m gonna keep the single player submissions open for abooooout another 10 hours, so if you have any other ideas, get em into me by then!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #10: Character Customization Mode
So, I was sitting here and thinking about what my favorite single-player modes in my favorite fighting games are, and I can't lie, I love me a good create-a-character mode. That said, I don't think create-a-character fits here exactly, so I thought "well, what about the Tekken way?" So, maybe a mode where you get to customize characters, buy outfits with in-game currency or as unlockables, and even add certain items that can add universal extra moves (for example in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 you can give any character a huge pizza that they can toss with a simple command). Obviously with the amount of character variety in this the parts can't be universal but yeah, change up parts, customize characters, make Solid Snake wear all rainbow and a Deadmau5 head, you know.

If this doesn't quite fit the bill I'll be happy to brainstorm another more active idea but! I like creative stuff.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, enough time has passed. We only got two mode submissions this round, both of them are really good ideas that we should totally have, and neither of them conflict with each other, so **** it, I'm adding both! Our next two modes are Mission Mode and Character Customization! We will be doing jobs related to both modes in the future, but for now we have our single player modes taken care of. Now onto our next character round, and this one is going to be our most difficult job yet...

EwAEdn0UcAAYDu_.jpg

(more specifically up to two women, but you get the gist)

Job #11: Submit a female Capcom character and a female Konami character

As women’s history month nears its end, now’s the perfect time to do a job dedicated to the ladies of both companies. As you can see by our current roster, our project is kind of a boys club right now. Capcom only has Tessa and Konami has no women, which is a damn shame if you ask me. We're gonna rectify this issue by submitting a female character for both companies. As always you're encouraged to submit one character each, but if you can only come up with someone for one company don't feel pressured to do both. We're also still sticking to the new franchises only rule, so no second reps as of right now. Anyway that's it from me, get your women in.

Job 11:
Chun-Li

Chun-Li is one of side charactes of Street Fighter series. She is a martial artist that sometimes works as a police officer.
She is no-brainer pick for the game, since she always appears in Crossovers.

(I don' have any ideas for Konami female character)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job 11:
Chun-Li

Chun-Li is one of side charactes of Street Fighter series. She is a martial artist that sometimes works as a police officer.
She is no-brainer pick for the game, since she always appears in Crossovers.

(I don' have any ideas for Konami female character)
Hey we're not doing second reps right now, so sadly Chun-Li is not eligible for this job. If you don't know what series we currently have repped, read the OP and check.

D

Deleted member

Regina (Dino Crisis)
The fact that she has never been in one of these is a crime. She'd make use of a lot of guns and heavy weaponry, but also dinosaurs. How cool is that?

Shiori Fujisaki (Tokimeki Memorial)
Who says that all our characters should be fighters? Tokimeki Memorial is actually a pretty big Konami series, it has six main line games and a boat load of spin offs. It's been a Japan exclusive series for the most part, but gained a new burst of popularity due to the feature length Tim Rodgers review. The original is getting an English fan translation soon!

From what I understand Shiroi is one of the most popular and prevalent characters and the one who makes it into crossover stuff, such as Super Bomberman R. We'd have to get creative with her, but that's what these things are all about!

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Okay so I know I literally just submitted her a few jobs ago, but... I'm resubmitting Morrigan. Might submit a konami one later.
Morrigan

Yeah, yeah, I apologize for picking a really obvious character when there are so many unique ones out there but Morrigan has been in pretty much every capcom crossover to the point where I don’t even think I need to explain why she should get in

Goemon

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Gonna put some girls of my own forward. Admittedly these are among the more Obvious Picks for this job, but they make me happy so **** it, I'm submitting them anyway.

Job #11 (Capcom Side): Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)

e1bb31a25b571024113badc5eb481d2c.jpg

Look, does Resident Evil have a **** ton of other choices we could pull from besides Jill? Oh absolutely. Chris has kinda become The Main Face of the franchise in the Versus games ever since Mahvel 3, Leon has been a heavily requested character for these games for a long ass time, and everyone loves the 8 foot tall vampire lady who is eligible for this job. But also I can't help myself, I ****ing love Jill. She's one of my mains in MvC2 and REmake is one of my favorite games ever, I will absolutely shill for her at every opportunity. She would play similarly to her MvC2 counter part, being able to summon zombies and use various weapons from Resident Evil.

Konami Side: Heather Mason (Silent Hill)

silenthill3heather.jpg

Is submitting two survival horror protags for this job redundant? Maybe, but I love me some survival horror so of course I'm going to indulge. Anyway, Heather is the main protagonist of Silent Hill 3 and the adopted daughter of the first game's protagonist, Harry Mason. Seventeen years after the events of SH1, she goes back to Silent Hill to exact revenge on The Order and to learn more about the bizarre circumstances surrounding her birth.

Much like Resi, Silent Hill has quite a few potential fighter options. The ever-iconic Pyramid Head is probably gonna make it in somewhere down the line, but should we include one of the protagonists, I think Heather would be our best bet. She's clearly a fan favorite and has even appeared in Dead by Daylight as the main Silent Hill survivor rep, so there's precedent for prioritizing her in a crossover like this. And because Silent Hill 3 gives Heather a **** ton of weapons to work with, there's no shortage of moveset material to pull from. She can use firearms, katanas, stun guns, pipes, mauls, and even the unlockable flamethrower and beam saber weapons. If you wanted to get really out there I guess you could also use her super secret Princess Heart transformation as one of her supers, in which she transforms into a magical girl and shoots lasers out of her eyes. Yeah Silent Hill can be ****ing weird sometimes, especially with the unlockable easter eggs.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #11: Female Newcomers

Capcom Fighter -
SonSon III (SonSon)

SonSon is a platform video game series created by Capcom in 1984, which was loosely based on the Chinese classic novel, Journey to the West. The player assumes the role of a monkey boy, SonSon himself (who is based on Sun Wukong) as he fights his way from one side to another in order to reach the statue of Buddha while shooting enemies alongside his sidekick TonTon (based on Zhu Bajie/Cho Hakkai) to free their friends SuiSui (Sha Wujing) and Sanzo Hoshi (Tang Sanzang) from the Great Demon. The game became popular enough to achieve home console ports on Famicom and later on, a sequel SonSon II for the TubroGrafx/PC Engine in 1989, with even cameo appearances in Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Strider 2, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure and as an available character in a cancelled RPG mobile game, Capcom Super League Online.

In Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, SonSon III is the granddaughter of the original SonSon himself, having been created for the game as one of the three new characters alongside Ruby Heart and Amingo, in which her home village was afflicted by an epidemic upon Abyss' awakening from it's slumber, leaving on a quest to find the origin of the mysterious strange disease, meeting with Ruby Heart, Cable and other various Marvel/Capcom characters.

Much like her grandfather, SonSon can straight up keep her old techniques from Marvel vs. Capcom 2, alongside having new special moves from the original game series and using items/spells from SonSon II such as:
  • Shooting energy blasts from her staff like a machine gun (only attack method in the original arcade game).
  • A glove/gauntlet that breaks certain walls (fist item in SonSon II; likely for a powerful rushdown move).
  • Medicine that refills her health (SonSon II).
  • A peach projectile that bounces around the terrain like Mario's fireballs (Peach spell).
  • Tossing out bombs to create a jet of flames from the ground akin to Castlevania's Holy Water (Bomb spell).
  • Three orbs rotating around her like a shield to absorb damage like Mega Man's Leaf Shield (Shield spell).
  • Stopping time to freeze opponents for a few seconds by using a hourglass (Time Stop spell).
  • Summoning multiple lightning bolts from the sky (Thunder spell).
She mainly fights by using her staff which she inherited from her grandfather by drilling it forward, spinning it while flying upwards, making it grow and then slam down onto opponents after throwing it into the air. She can also rip out three strands of her hair to shoot out small monkeys from them, suck opponents inside the gourd before cooking them on a bonfire, crawl onto the ground to sneak under several kinds of attacks, use the Kinto'un cloud to temporarily fly in the air for a few seconds or perform air dashes, walk around the edges of the screen, give her teammates a peach to recover their health, turn opponents into a giant fruit with "POW" (referencing a power-up that turns all on-screen enemies into food) and temporarily transform into a giant ape monster (En'ou) for stronger attacks and super armor.

Konami Fighter - Pastel & WinBee (TwinBee)

TwinBee is a cartoon-themed vertical-scrolling shoot 'em up video game series, which was created by Konami for the arcades in 1985 and centers around twin bee-shaped anthropomorphic androids named TwinBee and WinBee as they fight off the enemies to protect their home in Donburi Island. The game quickly became a success to the point it started the "cute 'em up" subgenre alongside SEGA's Fantasy Zone (which was released the next year) and spawned multiple sequels, manga, radio drama and anime adaptations with cameo appearances in other Konami franchises. The character designs in almost every single game in the series since Detana!! TwinBee in 1991 were provided by a famous Japanese animator, Shujirō Hamakawa (also known by the pseudonym of "SHUZILOW.HA"), who also worked on Thundercats, Transformers: The Movie, etc., thus pretty much establishing the series' tone itself and having been heavily involved in characters and the games' stories.

Introduced in Detana!! TwinBee, Pastel is the deuteragonist who takes the role as WinBee's pilot and a second player, being part of the TwinBee Team alongside her cousin Light (TwinBee) and little brother Mint (GwinBee), led by her grandfather Dr. Cinnamon, who created the bumblebee androids themselves. She is a gentle, outgoing young girl who spends most of her time keeping peace in Donburi Island, succeeding her father Donnamon (from the original game), and her future descendants, Whip (from Moero TwinBee/Stinger & TwinBee 3) and Chime from Mine Yoshizaki's manga spin-off of Detana!! TwinBee, sharing a great friendship with Madoka (who debuted in 1993's Super NES game Pop'n TwinBee), who is her schoolmate/neighbor and is usually accompanied by her ship WinBee. She even had published numerous musical albums based on the anime series, which were dedicated to her objective on becoming a popular idol singer and once appeared as a guide/host alongside WinBee in a interactive activity game on computers, TwinBee PARADISE in Donburi Shima, even turning herself into characters from other Konami games.

While TwinBee himself would work as a fighter on his own, Pastel is certainly said, a fan favorite (and was proven to be the most popular character, even being used as the poster figure and before she was named), since she made multiple cameo appearances even as a playable character in many other Konami games, such as the Ganbare Goemon series (even appearing in an OVA based on TwinBee, Gradius and Castlevania), Wai Wai Bingo, Konami Krazy Racers, the SEGA CD and PlayStation versions of Snatcher, Bombergirl, Battle Tryst, etc., even having a few characters modeled after her such as Pastel Bomb in Taisen! Bomberman and Erul Tron in the Otomedius series (where WinBee also appeared as a boss in Otomedius Excellent), with characters from other franchises having seen sometimes cosplaying as her, like the protagonist's love interest in Bass-Tsuri Shiyouze! (with him being identical to Light) and Homura Akai in Tokimeki Memorial 2.

Borrowing from her role as a unlockable character in Battle Tryst (her ending), Pastel herself is capable of fighting with boxing techniques by using gloves, her gymnastic skills for twirling/flip-kicking and even a laser revolver/handgun to fire energy projectiles like in Bombergirl (being labeled as "Shooter" in class). She may also use Bell Power-Ups to make her weapon more powerful with different properties, summon a barrier/forcefield that lasts for several hits and even call out WinBee for certain special moves and supers/Hyper Combos like punching opponents with a enlarged fist (which can stop some projectiles), boosting forward, diagonally or straight upwards with her turbines, using her Olympic ribbon as a whip, blasting opponents with missiles, bombs and sending out an army of miniature "option" versions of herself that flutter everywhere around the screen.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #11 (Capcom): Poison (Final Fight)
Poison.png

I figure you all know who this is, but just to give her a fair shake, Poison is an ex-member of the infamous Mad Gear gang that ran amok on Metro City, and a current-day pro wrestling manager. In Final Fight, Poison was among the most common type of enemy in-game, and she ended up becoming one of the most famous members of Mad Gear due to the fact she was used to fill out the roster in Final Fight Revenge, and has been in every major Street Fighter title since Street Fighter 3. By about the time Ultra Street Fighter 4 dropped, I would call her the second face of this franchise. She's overtaken Guy and Cody, and really I think only Mike Haggar beats her in popularity.

(Konami): Hikaru and Akane (Parodius)
Hikaru and Akane.png

Hikaru and Akane are two bunny girls that are featured heavily in numerous Parodius titles riding a bomb. They've been both bosses and playable multiple times in the series, and they have appeared in cameo roles for everything from Goemon, to Konami Wai Wai World, to Snatcher. They've also had several appearances in the arcade minigame series Bishi Bashi. You may recognize it as one of the loudest games in every game room at an anime convention. I'm imagining you would control both of them as a duo fighter. Obviously, they can use a variety of weapons from the game while riding the bomb, but you can use their cameo appearances and boss attacks to fill out the rest of their moves.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #11 - Konami: Reiko Hinomoto (Rumble Roses)
1648307390271.png

Okay, let's walk it back and before I explain Reiko I'm going to explain Rumble Roses.

Rumble Roses is a wrestling video game published by Konami in 2004 for the PlayStation 2. It's a game built around the concept of women's wrestling, or joshi, though with of course a heavy fanservice element to it as well. However, what makes this game interesting is that the original Rumble Roses was developed by Yuke's. Yuke's is a company that starting with the WWF SmackDown series handled all the WWF/WWE games until WWE2K14, and one of their games is WWE SmackDown! Here Comes The Pain. HCTP is basically considered one of the all-time greats, a crazy over-the-top game with extreme effects and numerous ways to beat your opponent from post-to-post. It's widely considered the best game since WWF No Mercy, a generation's idea as to what a perfect wrestling game should be.

Rumble Roses is basically just a reskinned HCTP but a bit less serious. It's very silly and over-the-top, and the actual gameplay is just as great as HCTP. Don't bother with the sequel, by the way, as it wasn't done by Yuke's which means it basically becomes the soulless fanservice mess people think the original is.

Anyway, the thing about Rumble Roses is that the story mode is insane. Reiko is ostensibly the protagonist of Rumble Roses, a heroic second-generation wrestler who enters the tournament to find her missing family. She fights with standard wrestling grapples and suplexes - her signature move is the Sunrise Suplex, in fact.

And in the course of this story mode, we learn the other thing that makes Rumble Roses extremely cool: Every single character has a "face" version and a "heel" version - every character will be able to flip their alignment at different points in their story, changing up their gimmick and movesets completely, in a sense doubling the roster size through this alone. And yes, that includes Reiko!

You see, during the story, the kind-hearted Reiko joins a biker gang! She sheds her former persona and becomes "The Queen Cobra", Rowdy Reiko!

1648307624428.png

Now, there are several ways you can incorporate these two in a roster like this, including by splitting them into two characters, but I think this makes for a PERFECT install character. Reiko can turn heel mid-fight, changing her moves to more vicious and meaner ones and giving her her new look. And then, of course, she can turn face again. It's all up to you to balance her stances and pick the right persona for the right moment.

---

I'll think on a Capcom option soon but I had to do Reiko justice, dammit.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
For Konami, i went with Aoba Anoa from Otomedius.
1648313688057.png
I don't know much about this spin-off of Gradius, but this may remember you to the controversial Bombergirl arcade game. Is the same concept but a decade before.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay time to start the vote. Here’s what we’ve got!

Capcom:
  1. Regina (@Darkonedagger)
  2. Morrigan ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
  3. Jill Valentine (ya girl)
  4. SonSon ( tonygameman tonygameman )
  5. Poison ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Konami:
  1. Shiori Fujisaki (@Darkonedagger)
  2. Heather Mason (ya girl)
  3. Pastel and WinBee ( tonygameman tonygameman )
  4. Hikaru and Akane ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
  5. Reiko Hinomoto ( Flyboy Flyboy )
  6. Aoba ( HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 )
Vote for your top two Capcom picks and your top two Konami picks. Your own submissions can only go in last place.

Capcom:
1. Morrigan (In complete honesty I feel like we should’ve gotten her out of the way in the last job considering how important she is, but better late than never. Also Darkstalkers is epic and needs to cross over with the Castlevania gang.)
2. Jill (Shameless self-vote, but yall already know how much I love her.)

Konami:
1. Shiori (Aside from possibly Silent Hill, Tokimeki Memorial is probably the most important and influential Konami franchise submitted here and I say that without a hint of irony. It helped lay the grounwork for the modern dating sim and was incredibly popular over in Japan. I feel like we need to include it in some capacity. Also Shiori would just be hilarious to have in a fighting game. I can totally see her being a Phoenix Wright-esque character who incorporates dating sim elements into her moveset.)
2. Reiko (I’m completely sold on the concept of a stance-changing heel-turning wrestler character. Reiko seems like she’d be a really unique take on grappler archetype and I’d love to see her face off against Haggar or Poison.)
3. Heather (Another shameless self-vote, I just think she’s neat!)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Capcom:
1. Morrigan - I agree with people who say should be in and I also think she'd make such a cool foil to any of the Castlevania or DMC characters.

2. Poison - I like her :)

Konami
1. Shiori - Along with Bemani, Tokimeki Memorial is one of Konami's most influential series' ever and one I'm personally fond of. I highly recommend the GameCenter CX episode for this game as it explains the series history as well as why Shiori herself is so beloved (and infamous). Plus it's funny. She could use a Stat Bomb special and debuff her opponents. It'll be good.

2. Heather - Ever since my friend sold me on her using the crazy weapons in Smash I've been fond of the idea of her in a fighting game. I just like Silent Hill.

3. Reiko - Self-vote, but I'm glad I seem to have sold people on the idea. :)

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Capcom
  1. Jill: My favorite RE character by a mile, a more classic take on the character (à la MvC2) would be more preferable personally as I did not really vibe with her MvC3 appearance, so I'm taking every chance I got.
  2. Morrigan: Capcom's Certified Crossover Character (CCCC for short).
Konami
  1. Pastel: TwinBee's importance to the japanese arcade scene is often looked over, but it's more important than many may think. And when it comes to Konami, yeah, it's definitely an IP that needs to get represented somehow.
  2. Reiko: Not gonna lie, I did not know what a Rumble Roses was before this, but Fly did a good job explaining and fully convinced me. A very silly over the top lady grappler that has an install that turns her into a heel? Sign me the **** up.
  3. Heather: Silent Hill is dope and I want the characters themselves to shine instead of the usual Pyramid Head.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Capcom:
  1. Morrigan Aensland (as much as I wanted to see Demitri or someone else first, I cannot deny her being pretty much a lock)
  2. Regina
Konami:
  1. Shiori Fujisaki (take this advice from a experienced boyfriend: "Don't neglect other girls from dating to the point they'll start to spread rumors about you, which may affect your reputation or relationship with someone else.")
  2. Hikaru & Akane
  3. Pastel & WinBee

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright voting time is over. Let’s look at the results!

Regina: 4
Morrigan: 17
Jill: 8
SonSon: 3
Poison: 1

Shiori: 24
Heather: 12
Pastel and WinBee: 11
Hikaru and Akane: 2
Reiko: 16
Aoba: 1

I am incredibly pleased to announce that our next two characters to join Konami vs Capcom will be Morrigan Anseland and Shiori Fujisaki!!! Finally our roster is based now that it has Tokimeki Memorial representation. Also in love with the tonal whiplash between these two choices. Congrats to Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule and @Darkonedagger for getting your characters in! Now onto the next job!

Job #12: Submit a Capcom stage and a Konami stage for any franchise that is not yet represented

Last time we did stages for series with series that have representation on our roster, and now we’re branching outside the realm of who we have playable. Since we’ve added four new franchises to our roster since our last stage job and it’s been a while, I feel like I should give a quick rundown of what isn’t eligible for this job:

Capcom:
  • Street Fighter
  • Mega Man, including its various spin-offs
  • Devil May Cry
  • Red Earth
  • Darkstalkers
Konami:
  • Metal Gear
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
  • Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja
  • Tokimeki Memorial
Aside from that, any other franchises from these two companies are on the table. Also good to keep in mind that if a series’ stage wins this job, that does not disqualify it from getting a playable character in the future, so don’t worry about killing a character’s chances if you have a really good stage idea for a series. That said, I feel like this would be a great opportunity to give some love to series who aren’t likely to see playable representation on our roster, so just keep that in mind. Layout for stage posts is the same as usual. Describe what the stage looks like, what cameos the stage might have, any possible gimmicks, etc etc. Anyway that’s it from me, let’s see what awesome stages yall can come up with this time!

Last edited:
Top Bottom