• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Konami vs Capcom: Concerto of Champions

Should our game be 3v3 or 2v2? Or something else?

• 3v3

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • 2v2

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • screw it, we’re making this a 4v4 i guess

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, I’m finally back home so time to finish the tie breakers. Our third Capcom character to join the fray is none other than Dante from the Devil May Cry series!!!!! Congrats to... me I guess for getting their character in. Jokes aside, I love how well our first new additions compliment each other. You’ve got the two cutesy robotic mascots with Mega Man and Bomberman, and you have the cool gothic monster-fighting swordsmen Dante and Alucard. Just goes to show how great the synergy is for this crossover.

Also, our base roster size will be 56 characters! Honestly this is perfect. Gives us enough space to explore some wacky deep cuts and unexpected choices on both sides while not feeling too bloated. Anyway, onto our next jobs!

Job #4: Should this game be a 2v2 fighter or 3v3?

So Capcom Vs. games have traditionally been team-based fighters. Part of the fun of these games is getting to build your very own dream team of fighters, so we’re obviously keeping that aspect around. The only question is if we’re going to make it a 3v3 team fighter similar to CvS2 or MvC 2 and 3, or go with the 2v2 format found in Tatsunoko, MvC1, and Infinite? Or do we wanna somehow try to pull off a 4v4? I’m just gonna make this a poll since it’s a pretty straightforward question, but if you wanna try and sway people to one side or the other, feel free to make your case!

Job #5: Submit a gameplay mechanic.

Yeaaaaah boi, we’re getting into the nitty gritty mechanical stuff now! I’m not a game design expert by any means, so please bare with me as I try to explain what I’m looking for here.

Okay, so you know how each of the Versus games introduced unique gameplay mechanics to help them stand out? MvC 1 has assist characters, MvC 2 and 3 have special assist moves, CvS has the Groove System, Tatsunoko has the Mega Crash system which function similar to bursts in ArcSys fighters, and MvCI had whatever the **** was going on with the infinity stones. We’re gonna be figuring out what this game’s special mechanics are going to be. It doesn’t matter how big or small the mechanic is. As long as it changes how the game is played in a noticeable way, I’ll accept it. You can also submit mechanics from past games, provided they make sense in the context of this crossover. Like, I can’t really see how something like the Groove System or Infinity Stones would makes sense outside of their respective crossovers, so we’re just not gonna touch those. Just tell me what feature you’re submitting and an explanation of how it works. Hopefully I got the point across, but please lemme know if there’s anything I should elaborate on. Anyway yeah, let’s see what we can come up with to spice up our gameplay!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #4: Totally 3V3. It'd be nice to have the option to go 1v1 and 2v2 as well, but 3v3 would be really nice to see in a game like this.

Job #5: I'm going to submit a Summon system, similar to the mechanic in the first Marvel vs Capcom. Essentially, a Summon would be a character that performs a certain move before leaving. Maybe they could perform three different moves (light, medium and heavy) or something like that? It'd be a cool way to overall represent smaller aspects or character that might not make it onto the roster properly, but are still important enough to see represented here somehow. This'd need a little tweaking to make it balanced of course, but I think it could be fun!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #4: Should this game be a 2v2 fighter or 3v3?
My vote is actually 2v2

The choice of how many people they have on each team for every Capcom crossover game is usually related to whoever they're crossing over with. Marvel is popular for its big teams (see Avengers/X-Men), SNK had a point system for building teams based on the strength of the character, but most teams tend to be between 1-3 characters (Like 1v1 SamSho and Fatal Fury or 3v3 King of Fighters), and X Tekken was 2v2 because of the Tekken Tag Tournament franchise.

Looking at Konami, they have a lot of co-op games (Contra, Goemon, DDR (Has doubles), one or two Bomberman games have co-op, in addition to the four-person battle royal mode). Plus, I think it means we can have fun pairing characters together by the end.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 4: 2v2. I agree with previous points that it both makes sense and makes it fun to create contrasting duos, but also that Konami has always been about co-op and teamwork.

Job 5: Affinity - a unique mechanic somewhat based on Tokimeki Memorial and tag team wrestling. Throughout the match, performing combination moves, frequent tags, and utilizing your team to their fullest will build up an affinity gauge to show how well your team is working together. When the affinity gauge is full, this can unlock perks or bonuses, ranging from rage-esque damage boosts, the ability to spend it instead of meter for big attacks, a burst ability, or even a huge comeback tag move if you find yourself on the losing end of a big combo. You pick your affinity move before the fight as an extra layer of strategy.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I unfortunately cannot come up with a gimmick for the next job, so here's my opinion on a former one.

Job #4: Team Size - 3v3

"3-versus-3 fighters" is certainly a tradition in most of Capcom's crossover fighting games. Considering that a cast is quite big and how it was that way with the same amount (56) in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, it makes sense to include this one, except if giant fighters takes up a whole team like in Tatsunoko when we consider them.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright yall, I think enough time has passed. First thing, the game will be a 3v3 fighter! As for mechanics, he’s what we’ve got:
Vote for your preferred mechanic here:

And while we’re voting, I think it’s as good a time as any to start our next jobs.

Job #6: Submit one Capcom stage and one Konami stage from any currently represented franchise

That’s right, it’s finally stage time! We need some cool locations for these characters to fight in, neither Capcom or Konami have any shortage of memorable locations to pull from, this should be easy enough. For right now, I just wanna focus on giving our current repped franchises some love. Don’t worry, we’ll be doing jobs for miscellaneous stages later. I just wanna make sure some of our base franchises get something first. As a refresher, here are the series we currently have repped with fighters:
  • Street Fighter
  • Mega Man
  • Devil May Cry
  • Metal Gear
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
When submitting a stage, make sure to include a description of what the stage looks like, any stage cameos, any possible gimmicks, etc etc. Do note that this is a traditional fighter, so you don’t have to worry about including the layout or crazy stage hazards in your post. Also worth noting that as of right now, stage cameos do not disconfirm characters. I’d still suggest leaning towards characters who aren’t as likely to make the cut, but don’t worry about killing a character’s chances if you include them in your stage.

Job #7: Submit a subtitle for this game

No Capcom Vs game is complete without a cool subtitle. You’ve got Clash of Super Heroes, Mark of the Millennium, Fate of Two Worlds, and so on. Although fans rarely use them when talking about the Vs. games, they wouldn’t feel complete without that extra subtitle. So I’m asking yall to come up with one for this game. Try to think of something cool and snappy that just screams Konami and Capcom. A good subtitle should set the tone for this crossover, so I want yall to really think on this one.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #6: Shopping District from Street Fighter II
Peace_Road_ChunLi.jpg

That's right! Chun-Li's SFII stage!!! There are a couple reasons I picked this out, mainly A. I wanted to go for an iconic SF stage but I also felt like Suzaku Castle was kind of a boring pick at this point, and B. we're absolutely adding Chun-Li at some point so it fits.

Now then, being a fighting game stage already, the transition made here is smooth! The stage will mostly remain the same, only given a brand new 3D coat of paint. It's a cool place!!!!!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #6
Stage Name: Wily's Castle
Stage Origin: Mega Man (1987)

1647448135770.png

Mega Man, especially the classic series (given that X or other reps aren't in here yet,) is an interesting case when it comes to representing it as a whole. Whilst each individual Robot Master stage is very interesting and unique in its own way, it's difficult to find somewhere that really appears in more than one game, or acts as a unifying location - except here!

Of course, each Wily stage is unique too, so I'm basing it mostly on what we saw in Wily Stage 1 of Mega Man 2 (which, arguably, is the most well-known in the series.) However, we'd take elements from other Wily stages too - such as the rain seen in Mega Man 10's rendition.

Notably, the background would consist of various enemies from the Mega Man series, such as Mettaurs and Sniper Joes, though they'll be doing maintenance work in the background layer as opposed to shooting at the players or anything of the like.

This stage, as a whole, would be the best way to represent classic-era Mega Man. Given we don't yet have characters from later series like the X series, Battle Network or more, and that Smash itself opted for a variant of this? Well, it seems like an obvious choice to me.

Stage Name: Blue Resort.
Stage Origin: Bomberman 64 (1997.)

1647468057815.png

Going for a bit of a weirder choice for Bomberman on the other hand, I wanted to submit a personal favourite location of mine - Blue Resort, the second stage from Bomberman 64, which is in itself a bit of a weird game given how it recontextualises the traditional Bomberman formula into a 3d platformer!

Compared to a lot of Bomberman locations, which due to the nature of their gameplay are confined to mazes, this place is more of, well, a place! As the name suggests, Blue Resort is essentially an island in the middle of the ocean, which is absolutely covered in various water works. I think it'd be cool to modernise the place in terms of graphics and design elements - giving it a more tropical vibe and overall keeping that calming, relaxed aura suggested in the original game. The stage itself would take place on the central upper layer, giving us a nive view of the buildings and briges present, as well as the large tower in the background that acts as a nice sort of focal point for the tower as a whole.

Now, you may ask, why would we want this as opposed to a more traditional Bomberman location? I submit it because it'd be way easier to represent Bomberman's more unusual games here - plus, it's more of a natural way to have stage cameos! Perhaps characters like Sirius and his friends could appear in the background and the like, for example. It just feels like a nice, relaxed change of pace from other locations that, in many cases, can feel like they're cut from the same cloth of being either exciting, foreboding, busy, or otherwise... like stages you'd find in fighting games. I think Blue Resort feels like a more calm place - where the fights aren't BOUTS TO THE DEATH!!! but moreso like friendly skirmishes you'd see with characters like Ryu and Ken for example. Also - it has a really nice theme!

Job #7
Konami vs Capcom: Heroes Collide! (idk, maybe it's a little cringey?)​

Last edited:
Job 6:
Shadow Moses Island

Shadow Moses Island is one of locations from Metal Gear games and it's a military base, where it locates on Island with mountains. The Shadow Moses Island locates on Bering Sea near the Alaska, US.
Also this place appeared in Smash as Stage, because it was popular, so why not put it in the game?
This place originated from Metal Gear Solid game on Playstation.

It would be a stage, where it takes place at cloudy night and there are lights that shine on fighters during Battle (Occasionally it can snow sometimes).
The Cameos are Big Boss, Raiden and Liquid Snake. Also Metal Gear RAY or Rex appear in Background during occasions while they destroy the wall in background.

Job 7:
"KONAMI VS. CAPCOM: UNIVERSAL COLLISION!"

I mean, this title would sound more badass than "Worlds Collide" though.

D

Deleted member

tumblr_2ea4617cf060c40d007068d48d583418_e094509c_1280.gif

Dracula’s Throne room

A famous location from a famous meme It's layed out pretty much how it was in Symphony of the Night. Dracula sits on his throne and watches the battle with a glass of wine, sometimes flying around as a bat. Various monsters would show up. Maybe a Belmont could show up to duel with Dracula.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #6: Konami Stage - Bomber Stadium (Bomberman)

Hudson Soft's Bomberman itself was extremely popular back in the 1990's despite debuting in a previous decade (1980's), thanks to it being one of the biggest names/faces when it comes to playing games with your friends and family in home consoles. Since the PC Engine game in 1990 and became a highlight when it properly took off in 1993 with Super Bomberman's release on Super Famicom/SNES, Bomberman's definitive multiplayer battle mode allows up to four, eight, ten (Saturn Bomberman, a uniquely special Hi-Ten Bomberman from Hudson Soft's Super Caravan events and it's update Hi-Ten Chara-Bomb) or sixty-four/64 (Super Bomberman R Online) players to compete against each other in a deathmatch filled with hi-explosive action. The stage's focus is certainly about embracing into the spirit of competition itself, and you're going to experience all that iconic mayhem while fighting close by it.

The stage itself takes place in a classic, standard green-checkered maze arena throughout the series inside a giant stadium, surrounded by walls and consisting of multiple Hard Blocks, brick-like Soft Blocks and various enemies such as Balloms, Onils, Minvos, Pontans and Hige Hige Bandits wandering around in the background, similarly like how Bomberman's home stage was designed in a fan fighting game on computers, Famicom Fighters.

Occasionally, enemies will run in panic as some random playable Bombers such as Bomberman Bros. (except White), Five Dastardly Bombers and others are seen trying to blow them up with their bombs, destroying bricks/Soft Blocks to summon various power-ups and rideable creatures for their own use and each other in process, causing "mass destruction across the land" like in the intro cutscene of Bomberman Party Edition. Sometimes, explosive-themed Robot Masters (even Blast Man) from the Mega Man series will also join the mayhem as cameos, using their own Special Weapons.

Inspired by the SNES games (especially Super Bomberman 5; as shown above) and Super Bomberman R's Big Bang Grand Prix (crowd), multiple colored Bombermen are seen sitting down as a huge cheering audience while watching the intense match with a giant jumbotron screen right above stairs in the middle of a stadium, showing either the traditional Bomberman gameplay from a bird's view in it's 16-bit sprite glory (as a easter egg) or a battle (gameplay minus HUD) itself, like Smash's Pokemon Stadium and most arenas in SNK's The King of Fighters series. Whenever a team wins the match, they will all stand up and jump excitedly as they cheer more loudly and confetti will explode, falling on the winner as they perform their victory pose.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #6: Konami Stage: Clock Tower (Castlevania)

The clock tower has been a major location in nearly every single Castlevania game dating back to the first one, and more or less feels like a mix between a clock tower and a cathedral. It would both be a pretty iconic location from the games, and make for a cool and visually interesting stage. I don't have a specific image to pull from, but this image from Lords of Shadow would be the closest to what I'm imagining, just with stuff like the pendulum and the giant clock actually in the background, with a flat floor top in the foreground.

Edit: Still thinking of a Capcom stage, but I have a subtitle idea.

Job #7: Konami vs Capcom - Concerto of Champions
I tried to go for one that made me think of a really good Castlevania game subtitle. Several of them feature music in the subtitle (Aria of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, etc.), so I wanted to go for that, and its alliteration and use of the word 'Champion' is a direct tie to Street Fighter (Both The World Warrior, as well as 'Champion Edition' of Street Fighter II)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #6: Devil May Cry (Devil May Cry)

1647462668089.png

Devil May Cry is the name of the shop that Dante owns in the series of the same name. I see this stage as taking place in front of the shop, with the windows and doors open so that the players can see the billiards table and jukebox inside, as well as Dante's other furnishings. Other Devil May Cry characters mill around the opening, with Trish and Lady lounging against the columns or sitting on the steps, and V's familiar Shadow curled up next to the trash cans. Sometimes, Nico Goldstein's Devil May Cry van drives past wildly in the background, Nero in the passenger seat.

D

Deleted member

byihcvu8azg11.jpg

Kapukon Yu

E. Honda's stage from Street Fighter 2. Honda himself can be seen, in his swim wear, relaxing in the back. Various other Capcom and Konami characters could cameo. A fight may break out in the background, but Honda will quickly break it up.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #6 (Konami Edition): Rokovoj Bereg (Metal Gear Solid 3)

1647467635425.png

The Lake of Destiny, the final meeting place of Naked Snake and The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3. Just like the place it's based on, this is a simple stage, a field by the lake full of beautiful flowers that sway in the breeze, blowing petals across the battlefield. I see it as similar to the Field of Fate from the Street Fighter series in that it's a simple but meaningful level. There are minor cameos, though, as far, far off in the distance helicopters close in...

During the final round, the flowers turn from white to red in a smooth transition and the wind from the approaching helicopters is for more intense.

Job 7: Konami vs. Capcom - Protectors of Fate
These games deal with fate a lot don't they? Well, both Capcom and Konami have plenty of characters who I'm sure would be down to protect it, and it's also a sort-of reference to Contra's European reskin, Probotector...and I just think it sounds snazzy!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #6: Capcom Stage: Undernet Square (Mega Man)
Undernet Square.png

The hive of scum and villainy in the Mega Man Battle Network games. It's basically the dark web of Mega Man.EXE's cyber world. It's a reoccurring area in the series, but it has different looks in every game it's in. The look I have in mind would be closest to its appearance in the third game (pictured above).

I think the Tron/Space Paranoids aesthetic could make for a fun looking stage, and I would include cameos from a few of the villainous 'NetNavis' in the background (Serenade.EXE, Cybeast Gregar, Cybeast Falzar, Dark MegaMan.EXE, and Bass.EXE), as well as the Count from the Konami series Boktai. Why the Count? He's actually a boss in the Japanese version of Mega Man Battle Network 6 in one of the rare Konami and Capcom crossovers that have happened, and this is where you fight him in the game.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, enough time for the mechanics poll has passed, and it looks like Affinity will be our new unique mechanic for this game.

Now that that’s out of the way, time to start voting for stages and titles. Here’s what we’ve got:

Capcom stages:
Konami stages:
Titles:
Vote for your top two Capcom stages and your top three Konami stages. Your own submission can only go in last place. Also vote for your favorite title here:

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Capcom Stage:
  1. Undernet Square
  2. Wily Castle
Konami Stage:
  1. Blue Resort
  2. Strut E Helipad
  3. Bomber Stadium

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Capcom:
1. Undernet Square - I loveeee love love the MMBN games and this is both a visually cool idea for a stage but also the Boktai crossover stuff makes me happy and fits in the spirit of the game.
2. Kapukon Yu - I love this stage idea, the potential cameos and the fun of seeing popular characters in beachwear, plus tensions rising high and mini-fights happening in the background...it just has a lot of fun personality to me.

Konami:
1. Clock Tower - It's iconic! Also when I was really into MUGEN I had a clock tower stage as my sub-boss level and I'm nostalgic.
2. Strut E Helipad - I love MGS2 and Big Shell is extremely cool. Fun stage idea, and Fatman as a cameo is hilarious.
3. Blue Resort - I am super biased towards any and all Bomberman 64 content, not gonna lie.

D

Deleted member

1. Undernet Square - (MMBN almost never gets represented in these crossover games and I'd think it would be neat to fix that. This just sounds like a nice stage idea and the Boktai cameo is a neat touch.)
2. Devil May Cry (Love these games and these characters)

1. Rokovoj Bereg (I love MGS 3 and this is an extremely iconic location. I think it's nice to have stages that are just pretty sometimes.)
2. Bomber Stadium (I was torn on the bomberman stages but I like the idea of an original location that takes from the seires. It's very vs.)
3. Dracula's Throne Room (Self vote but I think this is a cool location)

Last edited by a moderator:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
1. Undernet Square. It's such a nice change of pace to see Battle Network being represented somehow! I think it'd be really cool to see, plus the unique look of the place would be a real treat to battle on.
2. Kapukon Yu. It's such a weird, but fun, stage to see here. I think that whilst E.Honda isn't likely to be playable, it'd still be fun to see different Street Fighter locations - and the idea of various stage cameos there would be so fun!

1. Clock Tower. I feel like Dracula's Castle is going to be an obvious choice here, but the Clock Tower is arguably the second most iconic location in Castlevania at this point. Not only this, but the idea of seeing massive gears and the like here? It seems like such a really cool look, going for the dark, mysterious systems of endless gears, winches and even perhaps being backlit by the inside of the clock face!
2. Bomber Stadium. This feels like a fighting game stage, but I think it's in a good way. Leaning into a really unique look and letting us see an entire stadium obsessed with the Bomberman gameplay would be such an off-the-wall but brilliant addition that I think it needs to be here.
3. Dracula's Castle. It feels like an obvious choice, but it has to be here. Also, if we manage to get a Richter costume for Simon and a playable Dracula, it'd be so fun to see a unique intro between the pair. (You know exactly what they'd say.)

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Capcom
1. Devil May Cry (PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER)
2. Kapukon Yu (I was torn between this and shopping district, but the shopping district's way behind, so I'm gonna help push this one.)

Konami
1. Rokovoj Bereg (I love me some MGS3. This one's awesome)
2. Bomber Stadium (I can see the 3D version of this in my head already. Big fan.)
3. Blue Resort (This is REALLY cool, too, and I love the write up)

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Okay, enough time has passed to close voting. First thing, Concerto of Champions won the title poll by a landslide, so that will be the official title of our game! Congrats to PuyoWitch PuyoWitch for your title making it in!

Next thing, here’s the stage vote results.

Capcom stages:
  • Shopping District: 1
  • Wily’s Castle: 3
  • Devil May Cry: 6
  • Kapukon Yu: 9
  • Undernet Square: 8
Konami stages:
  • Blue Resort: 8
  • Shadow Moses: 1
  • Dracula’s Throne Room: 5
  • Strut E Helipad: 5
  • Bomber Stadium: 12
  • Clock Tower: 11
  • Rokovoj Bereg: 12
Our next Capcom stage will be Kapukon Yu from Street Fighter! Congrats to @Darkonedagger for getting your stage in! As for our next Konami stage, we have a tie between Rokovoj and Bomber Stadium, so I’m gonna do a quick tiebreaker poll. I’ll close the poll tomorrow morning and we can move on to our next job then.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, looks like our next Konami stage will be Bomber Stadium! Congrats to tonygameman tonygameman for getting his stage in! Now onto our next job!

Job #8: Submit a Capcom character and a Konami character who debuted in arcades

For our next character job, we’ll be looking to Capcom and Konami’s old stomping grounds of the arcades! Both companies had a massive arcade presence during their heyday, so it should come as no surprised that many of their most iconic franchises began in the arcades. There should be no shortage of cool characters to chose from here. As always, you’re allowed to submit one Capcom character and one Konami character each, though don’t feel too pressured to submit one for both. You can choose one or the other if you only have an idea for one. This is also where I’d recommend doing some research and seeing what games are eligible. Not just to find some neat deep cuts, but also because some of the eligible franchises are more well known for their home console releases, so definitely double check to make sure some of the more notable candidates don’t miss out. To help yall out a bit, I’m gonna link to some lists to give you an idea of what’s eligible.

As long as it’s an original property from either company and the character first appeared in an arcade game, they’re on the table. Only other rule is no series that are already represented on our roster, but afaik that only really disqualifies Street Fighter. Let’s see what yall come up with!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Capcom Character: Arthur (Ghosts N' Goblins)

UltimateArthur1.jpg

He's been in the VS Capcom games before and debuted in arcades. He's extremely iconic for sure and another fun platforming character.

Konami Character: Resubmitting Frogger

1464865982-frogger-cabl.jpg

I submitted him for the first job but he's well known for being an arcade character. Plus, another big face of Konami.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #8: Capcom: Tessa (Red Earth)
Tessa.jpg

Red Earth is a weird RPG/Fighting Game hybrid where you had four playable characters, but all of your opponents were AI. All the playable characters were fun, but the highlight of the group was Tessa, a 'sorcerologist', which basically made her a witch scientist/alchemist. She is very inquisitive and is driven by a thirst for knowledge.

While Red Earth was just the one game, she was popular enough to represent her game in two major crossover titles, Super Gem Fighter and SvC Chaos. She and two of her four cats were also cards in SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash
Tessa2.jpg

Tessa3.jpg

She hasn't gotten much since, however. That can mostly be blamed on Capcom focusing their fighting game division entirely on Street Fighter and sometimes Marvel vs Capcom, but Red Earth will be in that new Capcom Fighting Collection, and it got a few costumes in Street Fighter V, so it isn't entirely gone from Capcom's mind.

Konami: Wanpyou (Shao Lin's Road)
Shao Lin's Road.png

Wanpyou is the star of a little-known 80's beat 'em up called Shao Lin's Road. After mastering Shaolin martial arts, he picks a fight with the triad who assassinated his master, and gets thrown in their Temple, where he must escape it and exact his revenge on the gang. He's absolutely just some meathead martial artist, but I think he would make for a good deep-cut pick, and he would be a fun choice for someone to go up against all these here Street Fighters. It's definitely no Final Fight, and I argue it's not even as good as Double Dragon, but it has GUTS!

Shao Lin's Road2.png

Fun fact: The game was originally localized as 'Kicker', and they just renamed the main character to be known as...'Kicker'.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Morrigan
Yeah, yeah, I apologize for picking a really obvious character when there are so many unique ones out there but Morrigan has been in pretty much every capcom crossover to the point where I don’t even think I need to explain why she should get in

Goemon

Another fairly obvious one, Goemon is from the Mystical Ninja (or just… Goemon) platforming series, a series which is extremely popular in Japan and even has a cult following in the west meaning he’s essentially got to be here somewhere. He’s most associated with consoles but as his debut was Mr. Goemon on the arcade, I think he’s eligible.

D

Deleted member

YugoHumanBRX.jpg

Yugo (Bloody Roar)
We're probably gonna have a fair few fighting game characters but for a fighting game I think that's alright. Bloody Roar is a fighting game where characters transform into animals for their supers, which is just the coolest thing in the world. Yugo is the main character and transforms into a humanoid Wolf.

1614863-batsu_tvc1.jpg

Batsu (Rival Schools)
Rival Schools is another Capcom fighting game, focusing on warring Schools fighting each other. Its had a bit of a revival recently due to Akira being in SFV. And as much as I love Akira, I think it makes sense to go with the main character here.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #8 (Konami): Afro/Emi
1647705132319.png
1647705174287.png

1647705198102.png
1647705599573.png

So, Konami's still a massive presence in the arcades. In fact, they're one of the number one reasons to visit an arcade, because their Bemani line is going strong! DDR is still getting games, Beatmania and Pop'n Music are mainstays, and my personal favorite, Sound Voltex, recently got the Vivid Wave update. I submitted Emi earlier, but I think it makes sense to have her and Afro both. The Versus games do sometimes have costume changes, such as Phoenix Wright being able to use his 3-1 look, and the hitboxes should be pretty comparable with some minor tweaks. Alternatively, Afro can be the main fighter and his dance partner Lady along with Emi and other characters could appear...

That said, I'm picking Afro and Emi because they're the cover art characters for my favorite DDR games, DDRMAX 1 and 2.

1647706612978.png

Anyway, fighters that focus on precise timing, chaining together dance moves, and could even toss out a landmine or do a time-stop to reference some of the hazards in certain DDR step charts? That sounds like a blast to me. DDR is one of the original big-time rhythm games that dominated arcades internationally and while I'd love to continue submitting more Bemani reps you gotta go with the original first.

Job #9 (Capcom): Johnny (Battle Circuit)
1647707059724.png

It's time to fight music with music. Johnny is a boss in the Capcom beat-em-up Battle Circuit, a fairly obscure but extremely entertaining game. It's likely most-known nowadays for Felicia in UMVC getting a skin of one of the playable characters, Yellow Iris, but it really is so much more. The characters in this game are off-the-wall, with sentient fly trap aliens, the aforementioned playable catgirl, and indeed this rock-n-roll rogue and pretty excellent Elvis impersonator.

Johnny fights with his guitar, uses brutal and flashy kicks, and even has robots he can call upon for aid. He's a deep cut, but a fun one, and since a lot of Konami games have to do with music somehow (with this very game's subtitle being music-themed) I just think he'd be neat!

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #8: Arcade Newcomers

Capcom Fighter - Super Ace (194X)

Super Ace is the main protagonist of the vertical shoot 'em up video game series, 194X, which was created by Capcom for the arcades with 1942's release in November 30th, 1984, involving him trying to reach Tokyo and destroy the Japanese air fleet during the Pacific Theater and the Battle of Midway (based on actual events which occured during World War II), all while piloting his signature plane, a Lockheed P-38 Lightning, dubbed after his title. The original game became a commecial success, was ported and included on several compilations multiple times and was the first title to spawn a successful series of five sequels released from 1987 to 2008 (1942: Joint Strike), with many of Capcom's vertical shooters featuring similar gameplay, such as Varth: Operation Thunderstorm.

As a legendary ace pilot, Super Ace would fight on-foot for the first time while utilizing military tactics such as close-quarters combat, possibly a knife for melee slashes and weapons/items from the series such as a 3-way shot, piercing laser beam, smaller Side Fighters, etc. His Hyper Combos would involve him using the Lockheed P-38 Lightning plane for powerful bombardment/sideswipe attacks and a Level 3 Hyper Combo having the Yamato battleship from 1943: The Battle of Midway, appearing on the background and shooting off the opponent while the Japanese plane fleet also joins in.

Konami Fighter - Oolong (Yie ar Kung-Fu)

I had lots of characters in mind such as TwinBee, Vic Viper (merges both Zone of the Enders' mecha and Gradius' spaceship forms) or 🗿, etc., but since this is a fighting game, I think it'll make sense to include someone from the genre itself, adoring a fact that Wanpyou's already submitted.

Anyway, Oolong (also named as Lee Young in the first game's MSX and Famicom versions alongside a sequel, Yie Ar Kung-Fu II - if they're not a same character though, at least Lee would probably appear as an alternate costume) is the main protagonist of Yie Ar Kung-Fu, which was released in the arcades on October 25, 1984 and March 1985 in Japan (limited) and overseas respectively, exactly said three years before the original Street Fighter. Which speaking of, he would actually work as a good rival for Ryu.

It's plot focuses on a martial artist named Oolong himself going in a quest to become the Grand Master of Kung-Fu, honoring the memory of his father who was defeated in the final match for his mastership, facing eleven deadly martial arts masters in process.

Inspired by Bruce Lee's Hong Kong martial arts films and influenced by 1984's Karate Champ, Yie Ar Kung-Fu was known as one of the games that established the basis for modern fighting games (like having a health bar, unique cast of opponents with different skill sets and different sets of moves distinguished by punch/kick buttons), having become a commercial success and the best-selling home video game of 1986 in the United Kingdom, even ported to various home systems such as Famicom/NES, MSX, Commodore 64 and Game Boy Advance. The year later, it even got a official sequel released only for consoles and various fighting games created by Konami like Shao-lin's Road and Martial Champion were related to the series, as a former was marketed as it's follow-up and a latter was originally planned to be released as "Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2". This probably makes his inclusion historical in similar terms to R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch in Smash, besides his older self appearing in New International Track & Field on Nintendo DS.

Considering their shared origins from Bruce Lee himself, Oolong would definitely borrow some attacks and techniques from Street Fighter's Fei Long, maybe even utilizing a unique 8-directional attack system from his games similarly to Tekken's Kazuya Mishima in his guest appearance from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He can also jump very high and potentially use various weapons from his opponents such as shurikens (Star), nunchakus (Nuncha), bo staffs (Pole), chains with claws on them (Chain), spiked clubs (Club), steel fans (Fan), swords (Sword), tonfas (Tonfun), daggers (Bishoo & Mei Ling), etc., even being able to summon fireballs like Tao from the NES/MSX ports (except with one hand akin to Ryo Sakazaki's Ko'ou Ken and Dan's Gadoken instead of his mouth), potentially fill the screen with lightning bolts like Li-Jen from Yie Ar Kung-Fu II and a bowl of lo mein in the same game, that makes Oolong/Lee temporarily invincible for a short period of time.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I’m gonna leave this job open for another day. I’ve got a pretty busy day ahead of me, and also I know that this is a pretty big job so I wanna make sure anyone who hasn’t submitted has time to get something in. I’ll see yall tomorrow, but for now, here’s my two submissions:

Job #8 (Capcom Character): Mike Haggar (Final Fight)

64E22E2C-86F7-426C-949E-2C3F7A63293A.png

Mike Haggar is a professional wrestler and mayor of Metro City. He’s one of the three player characters in Final Fight alongside Cody and Guy, who he teams up with to save his sister Jessica from the Mad Gear Gang. He’s also a regular in Capcom’s Slam Masters series, and cameos regularly in the Street Fighter series due to it and Final Fight taking place in the same universe.

I was gonna go for Akira originally, but Batsu was already submitted and I didn’t wanna step on the toes of another Rival Schools submission. Instead I decided to pull from the other Street Fighter Cinematic Universe™️ series and went with Haggar. I know he was already in two Vs. games and Final Fight probably has other characters who could use the spotlight, but come on! It’s Mike ****ing Haggar! The badass pro-wrestler mayor! Why wouldn’t you put this guy in anything you could given the opportunity? I won’t go too in depth with his playstyle because he’s already been in two MvC games, but he’d do a great job filling the obligatory Big Grappler Guy role that every fighting game has.

Konami Character: TwinBee

5F3869C9-FE0D-4668-A48C-4AC6FEA788EC.png

Going from Big Beefy Wrestler Boy to cute little spaceship, TwinBee is the titular sentient aircraft from the TwinBee series. To protect Donburi Island from invaders, the inventor Dr. Cinnamon decided to invent two ships, TwinBee and WinBee, who would help fight off the enemies. Debuting in arcades in 1985, TwinBee would go on to be a pretty big success for Konami, spawning multiple sequels, anime and manga adaptations, and a **** ton of cameos in other Konami games. We kinda have to include him somewhere, and it just so happens that he has more than enough material to work with as a fighter. Being from a shoot-em-up game, TwinBee would use a lot of missile and bomb attacks. He’s not just limited to shooting though. His fists are another reliable asset of his, and he also has a hammer he uses as a weapon. There’s absolutely nothing stopping him from completely wrecking **** should he get into Concerto of Champions. Also look at him, he’s too cute not to include!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #8: Edward Falcon from Power Stone
EdwardFalcon (1).png

Edward Falcon is the main face of Power Stone, a beloved duology of 3D arena fighters by Capcom that were on arcades and, more famously, the Dreamcast.

Falcon is an adventurer from the town of Londo (yes, Londo), who's searching for the legendary Power Stones after hearing about them in an ancient family legend. He's also skilled in boxing, and is all around just a cool dude who loves adventure. I think he has a sick design and I feel Power Stone is sorely underrepresented in Vs. games - still zero playable appearances in Mahvel or SNK or Tatsunoko. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing but cameos. I think it's time we fix that, and Falcon is someone who I feel would be a great pick! Though I'd also like to give a shoutout to Rouge, who's probably the most popular Power Stone character and actually has been considered for these kinds of games in the past and is just Also Very Cool - I think she should be put forward someday too. But I went for Falcon!

As for how could he fight, he has his aforementioned boxing skills, plus the ability to throw some explosive punches and the wide variety of items featured in Power Stone. He also has his Power Change form, which he transforms into after obtaining the Power Stones, that gives him some more firepower in battle, being able to fire out missiles and do a cool Shinryuken thing. He's cool!!!!

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I think we’re good to finally start voting. Here are our candidates:

Capcom:
Konami:
Vote for your top three from each category. You can only put your own submission in third place.

Capcom:
1. Morrigan
2. Tessa
3. Falcon

Konami:
1. Afro/Emi
2. Goemon
3. TwinBee

Top Bottom