• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: King of Fighters XVI (Job #4: Rival Team)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
With KOF XV still fresh on people's minds, I wanted to do a creation thread for a hypothetical KOF XVI that concludes the Verse Saga.

Playable characters (6/45)
Team Hero
  • Shun’ei​
  • Meitenkun​
  • Isla​
Rival Team
  • Kukri​
  • Dolores​
  • Najd​

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. 16
2. 15
3. 14

Perkilator

Smash Legend
16 teams​
11​
14 teams​
6​
15 teams​
13​
It's official, we're going to be doing 15 teams on the base roster!

Job #2: Team Hero

This is the team that focuses on the protagonist of the saga in question, as well as other characters important to the plot. And in the Verse Saga, Shunei's been the main hero. So, who should his allies be this entry?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Team Hero:

Shun'ei
He goes without saying; he's the main protagonist of this set of games.

Meitenkun
He was part of Shunei's team in KOF14 and 15, and the Team Hero ending for KOF15 ended with him traveling with Shun'ei; it feels like he has to be part of this team.

Rock Howard
Both his birth father and his adoptive father use Tung Fu Rue's fighting style, and I figure that Rock would want to learn more than what he's just picked up instinctively. Training with and fighting alongside Tung Fu's latest disciples seems like it would be a good way to do that.

Plus, I saw this picture (art celebrating Rock's return through DLC in KoF14) on the SNK wiki, and I felt inspired to have that as a team line-up:

The picture even gives an idea of what their dynamics would be like - Rock could try to be a big brother to the other two (they teach him fighting skills and help with keeping his darker impulses under control, while he teaches them about skills that are more useful in everyday life), while Shun'ei is annoyed by it and Meitenkun is just happy to be here.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Team Hero Submission:
My selection is Shun'ei/Meitenkun/Isla, it seems that she will follow from behind Shun in his travel across the world so I think they making a team would be cool. Also in all the saga Shun'ei never had a team of only new (for the saga) characters always being accompanied with a veteran so having a team with only new faces would be cool.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'll vote for Isla. (I considered a few characters for that third spot, and she was one of them)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I have a similar composition in mind, but it would be Kukri, Najd and Dolores, being the last one the leader. While Najd's backstory is still a mystery the similar appearences between these three characters is undeniable, also I really hope they don't forget about Najd with such a badass look and moveset. In the case that Najd doesn't met Dolores yet maybe she could adopt her has a new student looking at her potential while Kukri follows her for obvious reasons.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'll vote for Najd.

(Also, I'm not familiar with Kukri, so seeing him doing some kind of Ginyu Force/JoJo pose in Infinity Sorcerer's picture is hilarious for some reason)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay so my thought process here is to go with a powerful team of unique inclusions, these being:

Baseball Star: A character with baseball theming, acting as a representative of sports games on the NEOGEO and of the Baseball Stars series as a whole.
Silver: A veteran of the Vietnam War, with military theming as a result. NAM-1975 was a launch title for the MVS and AES alike, so has importance.
Metal Slug: A literal tank would make for an interesting character to fight against. Can't be grabbed, but lacks close-up defence options.

I came close to suggesting Neo and Geo from Quiz Masters but I guess they're already in KOF so it wouldn't be very interesting to see them here. Also, Fernandez from Waku Waku 7, one of the characters from Windjammers and Sonic from Sonic Pocket Adventure came close but given their non-SNK origins they didn't feel right to me.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay, look, I'm sorry, but there's a lot about this thread that is incredibly ill-conceived and it makes me not want to participate. It's just luck that your first team actually makes sense because it could have gone utterly pear-shaped from the word go. As a huge KOF fan it is completely wild to me that you're even trying to conceive KOF16 when KOFXV hasn't even finished yet and is looking to bring in more characters that could completely change what we know of the future on its head. King of Fighters is a series that thrives on its lore, on its character interactions, and it feels like you're immediately taking ALL of that out of the equation. We nearly got Rock on Team Hero, despite Team Garou's KOFXV ending explicitly stating that B Jenet, Terry, and Rock are basically confirmed for the next game. Without a deep care for how a King of Fighters game works, how the lore works, how each character interacts, and how the entire game is structured, you're almost certainly going to end up with a slapdash unbalanced roster. The OP tells me nothing about the scope nor vision of the project and the jobs have all felt so non-KOF 16 to me. If you want to make a generic KOF "dream" roster, fine, but this isn't going to resemble a mainline KOF game in any way and this latest team idea straight up confirmed that to me. Nakoruru and Team Samurai are only in the lore because of the universal fluctuations brought about by Verse, Re:Verse and Otoma=Raga. Why would Nakoruru be on "Team Neo Geo"?

On top of that, I can hardly participate in this thread because every time a prompt opens up it closes in three hours. Like jesus, dude, I'm an adult with a full time job. Pump the brakes. Even if I was really excited about this project the fact that there's never any time to even post in this thread really kills any and all enthusiasm I would have had.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Alright so uhm, talking about that I was also having thought the moment the next job was a Neo Geo team and the options are Terry with Iori and Nakoruru or the Baseball Star, Silver and a SV-001 apart that yeah the jobs moves faster than I expected thought I wouldn't critize the view of the OP in the project since after all is his own thread. Yeah I think in any case it would be better try to do a Dream Math like 2002 or 98 not only because its more freely to use but also don't require messing with the timeline.

So yeah trying to asking in a more polite way, why not change the name of the thread for something like "KOF Verse Saga's Ultimate Match" or something like that instead of XVI?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Okay, look, I'm sorry, but there's a lot about this thread that is incredibly ill-conceived and it makes me not want to participate. It's just luck that your first team actually makes sense because it could have gone utterly pear-shaped from the word go. As a huge KOF fan it is completely wild to me that you're even trying to conceive KOF16 when KOFXV hasn't even finished yet and is looking to bring in more characters that could completely change what we know of the future on its head. King of Fighters is a series that thrives on its lore, on its character interactions, and it feels like you're immediately taking ALL of that out of the equation. We nearly got Rock on Team Hero, despite Team Garou's KOFXV ending explicitly stating that B Jenet, Terry, and Rock are basically confirmed for the next game. Without a deep care for how a King of Fighters game works, how the lore works, how each character interacts, and how the entire game is structured, you're almost certainly going to end up with a slapdash unbalanced roster. The OP tells me nothing about the scope nor vision of the project and the jobs have all felt so non-KOF 16 to me. If you want to make a generic KOF "dream" roster, fine, but this isn't going to resemble a mainline KOF game in any way and this latest team idea straight up confirmed that to me. Nakoruru and Team Samurai are only in the lore because of the universal fluctuations brought about by Verse, Re:Verse and Otoma=Raga. Why would Nakoruru be on "Team Neo Geo"?

On top of that, I can hardly participate in this thread because every time a prompt opens up it closes in three hours. Like jesus, dude, I'm an adult with a full time job. Pump the brakes. Even if I was really excited about this project the fact that there's never any time to even post in this thread really kills any and all enthusiasm I would have had.
Alright so uhm, talking about that I was also having thought the moment the next job was a Neo Geo team and the options are Terry with Iori and Nakoruru or the Baseball Star, Silver and a SV-001 apart that yeah the jobs moves faster than I expected thought I wouldn't critize the view of the OP in the project since after all is his own thread. Yeah I think in any case it would be better try to do a Dream Math like 2002 or 98 not only because its more freely to use but also don't require messing with the timeline.

So yeah trying to asking in a more polite way, why not change the name of the thread for something like "KOF Verse Saga's Ultimate Match" or something like that instead of XVI?
Oooh…sorry. Maybe someone can run a different version of the thread? I’d like this one to be closed because I didn’t think this through at all. Megadoomer Megadoomer ?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

I mean I feel like a KoF 16 thread could still work when 15 is going on as long as there’s some caution and agnowlegment that some of the lore could change and the game could become outdated. But yeah I agree with pretty much everything else, one of the biggest issues I personally had with KoF 15 is the lack of direction so not even discussing the direction of 16 is a cancer that really prevents this thread being coherent.

Perkilator Perkilator If you wanna restart the thread I suggest starting with jobs discussing the story and teams first before characters. Something like the “team neo geo” idea is very subjective and a lot of people might not want it so I feel like it kinda goes against the spirit of creation threads to just add it. Other than that I think this thread concept has a lot of potential and I’d still love to see it done again!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't have the ability to close this thread, but I know that Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom does.

I can't offer many suggestions in terms of sticking to the lore of KOF - I'm a fairly casual fan; I'm familiar with most of the characters, but I've really only played the Orochi and Verse/Shun'ei games, and I haven't gotten all of the endings so I'm not sure what's been built up for future entries.

However, if you decide to reboot this thread later, my advice would be to wait roughly 24 hours between jobs so that people have time to respond and so they know when the deadline is. (if I hadn't woken up at 5 am, I wouldn't have even been able to vote)

Last edited:
Top Bottom