• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

How many characters should we include at launch?

Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Okay then.

Senku Ishigami, despite having a gnarly Goku hairstyle, is anything but a fighter. He's weaker than even your average Smashboards poster, and he has not even a millimeter of a shot against any typical shonen protagonist. His claim to fame is 2 million years worth of human development stored in his mind, and he's using it to rebuild civilization after 3700 years of every human being turning to stone. With his scientific knowledge he's constantly reinventing things and concepts out of scratch to his benefit, eventually getting to a point where the world now has access to the internet. The closest he gets to combat is when he tries to make something on the fly, like nitroglycerin-laced paper airplanes. But he has a ton of supporters he picked up with his knowledge that makes saving the human race ten billion times more achievable. Sosoruze, kore wa! :yoshi:
I meant how he would function as an assist

Sorry for not being clear about that

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Resubmitting Hikaru and Sai cause I ain't got time to do a whole new writeup
Job #20: Hikaru Shindo and Fujiwara-no-Sai from Hikaru no Go
View attachment 339247
Hikaru no Go was a Shonen Jump manga that ran in the late 90s/early 2000s and revolved around the popular Japanese board game of Go.

The story starts with Hikaru Shindo, a regular ol' Japanese sixth-grader, who goes exploring his grandfather's attic and, in the process, discovers a Go board. As circumstance would have it, this board was actually haunted by the spirit of Fujiwara-no-Sai, a Go player from the Heian era of Japan. He (yes that's a dude) lived on as a ghost after his death, thanks to his desire to one day attain the "Kami no Itte" - a perfect move. And so, Sai decides to mentor Hikaru in the art of Go for this very purpose. Hikaru intitially isn't down for it, dismissing Go as, in my own words, "boomer ****", but as the series goes on, he learns to enjoy the game, and eventually goes on to become a professional player.

The series was actually pretty damn successful, selling over 25 million copies, spawning a 75-episode anime, and being credited with popularizing Go both among the Japanese youth and worldwide. And indeed, the series was represented in Jump Super Stars by way of its main characters as an assist! But that's the interesting thing: it was nowhere to be seen in JUS. That's right: Hikaru no Go was actually one of the only two series that were featured in Super Stars that didn't come back for Ultimate Stars (the other one was Mr. Fullswing, which I tbh feel is pretty interchangeable with other notable baseball manga from across Jump history if we're to have an assist like that, whereas it's hard to find something like HNG). So it'd be pretty nice to bring them back for this one just because of that.

As for their function, I don't think they'd really make much sense as, say, a directly attack-oriented assist. To better reflect on the nature of Go, I feel they'd have to have a more strategic function. So when they're summoned out on the battlefield, they'll disable one of your opponents' special moves for a limited period of time (that's right they are this game's Adam Malkovich function). Pretty simple function, but a distinct one nonetheless that fits with the characters in question

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Job #20: Soma Yukihira

Soma is the son of the restaurant owner Joichiro Yukihira, and a student at the Totsuki Culinary Academy. He studies food and participates in shokugeki, which are cooking duels. As an assist, he will either feed his ally the Improvised Mackerel Burger Meal, healing them, or feed an opponent the Grilled Squid Tentacles Dressed in Peanut Butter, applying a poison-esque effect to them.​

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 20: Support character

Sena Kobayakawa (Eyeshield 21)

The main protagonist of the football manga Eyeshield 21. Sena is a running back, incredibly fast but very fragile, and the trump card of the Deimon Devil Bats football team. He's appeared in both Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars, even being the protagonist of a promotional manga for the first game. (the manga in question, and Eyeshield 21 as a whole, was drawn by Yusuke Murata; you might recognize his art style if you're familiar with One Punch Man, since he also draws that)

If we're sticking with two separate effects for each support character, his could remain unchanged from previous Jump games. His level 2 would be Devil Bat Dive, where he confuses the opponent (reversing their movement controls), while his level 3 could be Devil Bat Ghost, which stops the opponent from moving. Both involve him dashing forwards and causing the effect if he connects.

Job 21: Goku moveset

I also used his Extreme Butoden moveset as a reference in some cases.

Are we having transformations like in Jump Super/Ultimate Stars? In those games, once Goku has higher-level komas, he turns into a Super Saiyan, which might cause me to change his moveset.

Also, I'm assuming that this is intended to be for modern consoles, so the supers will be more cinematic, closer to Jump Force.

---

Light Neutral: punch

Light Side: elbow - Goku moves forward a bit, giving it slightly more range than his punch, though it's a bit weaker

Light Down: sweep kick - Goku crouches down, delivers a spinning kick aimed at the opponent's ankles to trip them up.

Light Up: uppercut

Light Dash Attack: drop kick

Light NAir: flurry punch - Goku punches rapidly, like what happens in many airborne battles in DBZ. The individual punches don't do much damage

Light UAir: chin kick - leaning back, Goku kicks upwards with both feet at the same time.

Light DAir: downwards rapid kicking - he kicks so quickly that his feet become a blur

Heavy Neutral: gut punch - Goku delivers a powerful punch to the opponent's gut. (or where their gut would be on a normal human-sized opponent)

Heavy Side: roundhouse kick

Heavy Down: air pressure - used against Chi-Chi in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, he doesn't hit the opponent directly; he spreads his arms on either side of him, creating gusts of air strong enough to knock the opponent back

Heavy Up: flip kick - Goku flips around, kicking his opponent's chin with enough force to make them airborne

Heavy Dash Attack - chop - spinning in the air, Goku delivers a back-handed chop to knock the opponent to the ground.

Heavy NAir: foot Kamehameha - Goku launches a Kamehameha from his feet to propel himself forward a little, punching with both hands - he used this in Dragon Ball, back when Tien could fly and he couldn't.

Heavy UAir: Dragon Fist - similar to how he killed King Piccolo, Goku defies gravity by launching himself upwards with his fist outstretched.

Heavy DAir: meteor smash - raising his hands over his head, Goku slams them downwards like he's chopping wood with an axe, causing whoever's hit to slam into the ground like a meteor

Shield Attack: headbutt - I'm guessing that shield attacks are slow but intended to break guard (I could be wrong), so having Goku give a strong but slow headbutt could work here.

---

Neutral Specials: Kamehameha - the old reliable. The button can be held down to charge it up - just tapping it will have Goku say "Kamehameha!" quickly while firing a small but quick beam, but holding it down has Goku drag it out in that classic anime way, emphasizing every syllable. As he charges it up, he starts in normal for the first syllable, turns to Super Saiyan for the second, then Super Saiyan 2 for the third, Super Saiyan 3 for the fourth, and finally, Super Saiyan Blue for the final one. (Dragon Ball Super has a manga, so I think it would be okay to draw some elements from it) Releasing it early has him quickly finish the phrase before firing. (ex. "KA... ME... hameha!")

As he charges it up, the beam gets a longer range, and it's wider and does more damage. However, he's completely vulnerable while charging, and unlike Samus, he can't "store" the charge to finish it later.

Side Special: Kaio Ken - glowing red, Goku launches himself forwards, hitting the opponent hard if he connects - similar to Little Mac's side special, though with greater range and he doesn't send himself careening off of the stage if he gets too close to the edge. This move is good for recovering horizontally.

Up Special: Nimbus - while Goku can fly on his own, this seems more visually interesting. He hops on Nimbus, which launches him high into the air. This doesn't do much damage, but the vertical recovery is insanely good.

Down Special: Power Pole - pulling out the extending Power Pole, Goku spins it overhead, similar to a helicopter. It doesn't do much damage, but it hits rapidly and it's good for keeping opponents at a distance. (I know that, canonically, the Power Pole is stuck bridging the gap between Korin's tower and Kami's lookout, but this game doesn't have to follow canon - it was either this or giving Goku the imperfect Ultra Instinct as a counter, and I wanted Goku to be relatively simple)

Super Attack: Spirit Bomb - generally treated as Goku's last ditch attack, it seems like a fitting choice for his super. Teleporting into the air, Goku yells out "share your energy with me!" as the Spirit Bomb (a massive ball of white energy) forms over his head. He throws it, and it either connects with the ground (causing a massive explosion) or directly hits any opponents (which leads to a short cutscene similar to Kid Buu, where Goku praises the opponent before going Super Saiyan and causing the Spirit Bomb to detonate)

Team Super(s): I'm not sure how many I can submit here, but I can think of at least four:

-Fusion Dance (Goku + Vegeta): Goku and (much to his embarrassment) Vegeta perform the Fusion Dance, transforming into Gogeta. The ensuing beatdown is ripped straight out of the DBS Broly movie or Dragon Ball FighterZ, with Gogeta punching the opponent away, kicking them into the air, and then creating a column of energy with wide range that hits multiple times. He finishes off with a massive Kamehameha, sending the opponent(s) flying. It seems unnecessarily over-the-top, but Gogeta's all about being unnecessarily over-the-top.

-Gum Gum Leo Bazooha (Goku + Luffy): a similar attack was already used in the manga spin-off Cross Epoch (combining Goku's Kamehameha and Luffy's Gum Gum Bazooka), though this version has Goku and Luffy transforming into their more powerful (and stranger-looking) forms - Super Saiyan 3 and Gear 4 Boundman, respectively. This one isn't as flashy as the others, though the cutscene has a lot of build-up, considering that these are two of Jump's flagship characters that we're talking about.

-Jajankenpon (Goku + Gon): Goku and Gon play Rock Paper Scissors with their respective martial arts techniques themed after the game, with the opponent stuck in the middle. When Gon uses Rock, he hits the opponent with a massive punch, though Goku catches it with Paper. When Gon uses Scissors, he slashes the opponent with a blade of nen, though Goku blocks it with his fist. When Gon uses Paper, he fires aura from his open palm, though Goku deflects it with two fingers. Frustrated, Gon keeps throwing out more attacks at rapid speed, with the opponent getting hit by them while Goku uses the correct technique to win each Rock-Paper-Scissors game, before Gon hits the opponent with a fully charged Rock punch that sends them flying and knocks Goku back a bit when he catches it.

(I feel bad for having Gon lose all of the Rock-Paper-Scissors matches, but Gon's rock-paper-scissors attacks are more offensive based, and Goku's the more experienced of the two)

-Tailed Beast Spirit Bomb (Goku + Naruto): Naruto and Goku already had a team attack in Jump Super Stars, but to say that Naruto's had a few upgrades since then is an understatement. Transforming into his full Kyuubi cloak form, Naruto charges up a Tailed Beast Bomb while Goku charges up a Spirit Bomb. Both attacks are launched at the opponent, fusing into a black-and-white swirling ball of devastation that creates an even larger explosion than the Spirit Bomb once it connects with the ground or an opponent.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Are we having transformations like in Jump Super/Ultimate Stars? In those games, once Goku has higher-level komas, he turns into a Super Saiyan, which might cause me to change his moveset.
I don't think we'll be having transformations in this game

This game is generally meant to be much easier to understand compared to JUS and having multiple komas for each character would probably be very confusing, I know it confused me as a first time player.

Also yes DBS content is allowed. As long as something appears in the manga it's fair game - you can't put stuff like say, a support koma of Jonathan from the G-8 arc of One Piece since he's an anime original character, but DBS content is allowed as long as it appeared in the manga.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think we'll be having transformations in this game

This game is generally meant to be much easier to understand compared to JUS and having multiple komas for each character would probably be very confusing, I know it confused me as a first time player.

Also yes DBS content is allowed. As long as something appears in the manga it's fair game - you can't put stuff like say, a support koma of Jonathan from the G-8 arc of One Piece since he's an anime original character, but DBS content is allowed as long as it appeared in the manga.
Sounds good! How many team supers do you think we should have at most? (I could probably keep going for Goku - I'm sure I can come up with something for Goku and Arale - but I'm concerned that I might have gone too far overboard as it is haha)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Sounds good! How many team supers do you think we should have at most? (I could probably keep going for Goku - I'm sure I can come up with something for Goku and Arale - but I'm concerned that I might have gone too far overboard as it is haha)
I think two max would do, maybe even three for some of the more prolific characters, so having one more for Goku would be fine.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Okay, I'll be closing submissions for both jobs. Megadoomer Megadoomer 's Goku moveset wins by default, though we might discuss which team supers we'll use later down the line. It's not that important at the moments.

As for our assists, here are our options:
Zinith Zinith Senku Ishiigami (Dr. Stone)
Speed Weed Speed Weed Hikaru and Sai (Hikaru no Go)
Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons Soma Yukihira (Food Wars)
Megadoomer Megadoomer Sena Kobayakawa (Eyeshield 21)

Vote for your top 2 most wanted assists. You can only put your own submission in second place. We'll be choosing the top 2. My votes:

1. Senku
2. Hikaru

We'll probably start the next job(s) tomorrow. We'll have a character job and potentially a moveset job.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Soma (I had an idea for an assist from another Jump cooking series before realizing Soma would have been a much better pick for that purpose so I'm glad someone else submitted him)
2. Senku

Jondolio

Smash Hero
It's time for the next character job. I'll probably keep voting for assists open until Sunday (make sure you do!), but in the meantime we'll also be choosing our next character.

Job 21: Submit a character that debuted in the first decade of the 2000s
Submit a Jump character that debuted from 2000 to 2009 and explain a bit about who they are, the series they're from, and how they would fight. They can be either returning characters from Jump Ultimate Stars or brand new, but they have to be from series not currently represented on the roster. We'll be adding the top two most voted characters. (surprise, surprise)

Job 22: Submit a Luffy moveset
Use this moveset template to create a moveset for Luffy.
Light Neutral
Light Side
Light Down
Light Up
Light Dash Attack
Light NAir
Light UAir
Light DAir
Heavy Neutral
Heavy Side
Heavy Down
Heavy Up
Heavy Dash Attack
Heavy NAir
Heavy UAir
Heavy DAir
Shield Attack
Neutral Specials
Side Special
Up Special
Down Special
Super Attack
Team Super(s)
I could post a clip of how Luffy fights as a point of reference but I'd be spoiling a lot of people for One Piece (myself included) and his JUS moveset is pretty outdated since it's been 15 years and One Piece has continued its run, and Luffy learned a bunch of new techniques since then. But if you follow One Piece and are caught up with the manga, then there's no shortage of source material to pull from.

One Piece is the biggest manga in the world so Luffy's presence would probably grab a huge audience, including a lot of casual players, so like Goku Luffy should be an easy character to understand. (This is gonna be a common theme for a lot of the flagship characters)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 21: 2000s character

In a shocking twist that will surprise absolutely nobody, I am once again submitting Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, from the series of the same name. (which came out in 2001)

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)

Cue the music!

This was a really tough category to pick one character for, to be honest. I debated between nominating a few characters - Ryotsu, Arale, Jotaro, Kenshiro...

I figured that Jump Force had a heavier focus on serious series (I think all of the purely comedic series that were in J-Stars Victory Versus, like Kochikame, Gintama, Dr. Slump, or Bo-bobo were cut from Jump Force), so it couldn't hurt to get a goofier series in here to show that the game won't take itself as seriously. While I do feel like Ryotsu or Arale make a lot of sense, I haven't gotten a chance to read those series, so I'm sticking with the one that I actually know about.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (I swear, this is the last time that I'm writing out the full name in this post) is a series set in a post-apocalyptic world of 300X, starting out as a parody of Fist of the North Star before wildly going off of the rails. The Bald Empire has sent out Hair Hunters to shave everyone until they're bald, and it's up to Bo-bobo to defend the hair of those around him using his martial art, the Fist of the Nose Hair.

...at least, that's what the series is about in theory - it's usually just an excuse to get as insane and nonsensical as possible, parodying concepts like transformations, fusions, morals of a story, and other Jump series, and that's just for starters.

Bo-bobo fights with his whip-like nose hairs most of the time, but the series' heavy emphasis on comedy over everything else means that he can do pretty much anything that's needed. Wear tissue boxes on his shoes to go faster? Sure. Have one of his throws (if the game has throws) be a weak armpit chop that somehow makes people explode? Yeah, go for it. Summon Yugi Moto from his afro to attack people with a poorly-drawn Egyptian God Card? It happened. Covering people with seasoning salt, turning into a train, slam-dunking the sun onto people...

I could go on and on and on. I figure Bo-bobo should be in the game at some point (honestly, a lot of these characters should), and now seems like as good of a time as any to nominate him.
Job 22: Luffy moveset

I'm going to try to avoid spoiling anything specific, but much like Naruto during the transition from Jump Super Stars to Ultimate Stars, I'm guessing that Luffy's design is going to change to reflect recent developments in the series.

I'm going to be using Luffy's sprites from One Piece Gigant Battle 2 (from the same developers as JUS), as well as One Piece Pirate Colosseum (from Arc System Works), as a reference along with the JUS sprites.

Light Neutral: Gum Gum Bullet - basically a punch, but I've got a theme going here.

Light Side: Gum Gum Rifle - stretching his arm back and twisting it up, Luffy delivers a powerful punch

Light Down: Gum Gum Windmill - Luffy spins around like a windmill or a propeller

Light Up: Gum Gum Volcano - Luffy kicks straight upwards

Light Dash Attack: Gum Gum Twin Pistol - Luffy punches forwards with both fists

Light NAir: Gum Gum Hammer - spinning vertically, Luffy brings his leg down like it's a hammer

Light UAir: Gum Gum UFO - Luffy spins horizontally like a UFO, kicking out in all directions and gaining a bit of height

Light DAir: Gum Gum Spear - placing the soles of his sandals together, Luffy "stabs" downwards like his feet are a spear

Heavy Neutral: Gum Gum Gatling - Luffy punches rapidly

Heavy Side: Gum Gum Bazooka - stretching his arms back, Luffy launches both of them forward for a hard-hitting open palm strike

Heavy Down: Gum Gum Balloon - Luffy inflates himself, just like a balloon this crazy Kong just digs this tune! to knock away nearby enemies

Heavy Up: Gum Gum Axe - Luffy stretches his leg high up into the air before bringing it crashing down

Heavy Dash Attack: Gum Gum Sickle - stretching his arms out, Luffy clotheslines whoever's in front of him

Heavy NAir: Gum Gum Fireworks - Luffy spins around in a ball, punching and kicking in all directions

Heavy UAir: Gum Gum Stamp - a kick aimed diagonally upwards, where Luffy stretches his leg out

Heavy DAir: Gum Gum Rain - like Gum Gum Gatling, except pointed downwards

Shield Attack: Gum Gum Chomp - Luffy bites the opponent, growing his head to a massive size to do so.

Neutral Specials: Gum Gum Pistol - Luffy uses a long range punch

Side Special: Gum Gum Rocket - Luffy launches himself forwards

Up Special: Gum Gum Storm - coiling himself up, Luffy launches himself into the air like a propeller, spinning around as he rapidly punches upwards

Down Special: Gear 2 - I'm assuming this isn't a spoiler; it was referenced in the Olympics, of all places. Placing a fist on the ground, Luffy's skin turns red and steam comes off of his back. His next attack, whether it's a special or a regular attack, becomes the "Jet" version, moving faster and hitting harder. (using Gear 2 while Gear 2 is active cancels the effect) The effect only lasts for a short time, and using it repeatedly cuts down on the duration. (Canceling it doesn't cut down on the duration as much, and it has a bit of start-up time, so you can't incorporate it into combos all that well)

Super Attack: Gum Gum King Kong Gun - transforming into Gear 4: Boundman, Luffy leaps into the air, his fist growing to the point where it's several times the size of his body. He punches at the ground, flattening whoever's beneath him. Given the size of the fist, it takes up a large portion of most stages.

Team Super(s): like with Goku, I have plenty of ideas here.

-Gum Gum 300 Pound Cannon (Luffy + Zoro): a canonical team attack between Luffy and Zoro. The two of them talk casually for a bit, seemingly unconcerned as the opponent(s) caught in the initial attack look on, confused. Zoro puts on his bandana, Luffy punches the air rapidly, and the two of them use Gum Gum Cannon and 108 Pound Cannon (a whirling razor-sharp gale of air) at the same time to send the opponent(s) flying.

-Gum Gum Leo Bazooha (Luffy + Goku): a similar attack was already used in the manga spin-off Cross Epoch (combining Goku's Kamehameha and Luffy's Gum Gum Bazooka), though this version has Goku and Luffy transforming into their more powerful (and stranger-looking) forms - Super Saiyan 3 and Gear 4 Boundman, respectively. This one isn't as flashy as the others, though the cutscene has a lot of build-up, considering that these are two of Jump's flagship characters that we're talking about.

-Uzumaki-Monkey Barrage (Luffy + Naruto): Naruto uses his Shadow Clone Jutsu, causing Luffy to get all starry-eyed as he tends to do around awesome things like robots, ninjas, laser beams, etc. The clones rush towards the opponent(s), knocking them into the air. Several more clones are already in the air, Rasengans at the ready. Meanwhile, Luffy has gotten underneath the opponent, preparing Gum Gum Jet Storm. The opponents are sandwiched between Rasengans above them and fists below as they're rapidly pummeled from both sides.

-Gum Gum Ora Ora (Luffy + Jotaro): Jotaro starts off this move by using Star Finger to stun whoever's hit by it. Jotaro has a plan for what to do next, but Luffy rushes in as always, going straight into Gear 2nd. As he shouts out "GUM GUM...", a familiar sound effect plays as time comes to a stop. Jotaro casually walks by Luffy and the opponent(s), his footsteps echoing in the silence as he mutters "Good grief.../Yare yare daze..." Star Platinum is summoned as time resumes, and if you know JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, you know what's coming next - Luffy uses Gum Gum Jet Gatling from the left, while Jotaro rapidly punches the target(s) with Star Platinum from the right.

(I wanted to include a Deku team attack in here as well, but I already had Goku's from his moveset, Jotaro was in JSS, and Zoro and Naruto seemed absolutely necessary)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job 21: Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
1639130192396.png

Allen Walker is the protagonist of D.Grey-man, a series that debuted in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2004 and has since switched magazines numerous times (though it has remained a Jump series the whole time), settling in Jump SQ.Rise in 2018. Allen is a British teenager in the 19th century the who joins the Black Order, a group of soldiers known as exorcists. In order to fight demons, Allen uses an object known as an innocence that causes his arm to become gigantic, and develops new abilities as the series progresses.

Now admittedly I'm not very familiar with the series so I had to look all that up (apologies if I got anything wrong), but despite not having as much publicity as the likes of say, Naruto or Bleach, D.Grey-man is popular enough to rank at the top 40 best selling Jump series, and Allen actually made it into the Jump Stars games alongside another character from the series, Lenalee Lee. When he was demoted into an assist in J-Stars, people weren't happy, so I think we should rectify that by having him be playable again. Heck, as I said before the series is still running (although that can be attributed to the number of hiatuses it took, but still), so it's still relevant enough to be included in the year 2021.

D

Deleted member

Tsuna Sawada (Katekyō Hitman Reborn)
A young boy who became heir to the Vongola mafia family. With a target now on his back , Tsuna is tutored by the strange infant Hitman known as Reborn on how be a better boss. Reboorn shoots Tsuna with a special bullet, giving him powers, with flames coming off him in this special form.

1. Soma
2. Senku

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Job #21: Medaka Kurokami

Medaka is the student council president at Hakoniwa Academy, known for her strength, skill and beauty. She gathers a few members to join her in the council, and works to respond to requests from students. Her signature technique is a charging attack called the Kurokami Phantom. She is also known to copy abilities from opponents she faces, like super balls, or Weighted Words. She has multiple "God" transformations that increase her power.​

1. Senku
  2. Soma

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright so unfortunately I didn't get to submit any Wacky Speed Weed picks this time, but

Job #21: Gintoki Sakata from Gintama

Gintama is a Shonen Jump gag/action manga that ran from 2003 to 2019.

The series follows an alternate-universe Edo-era Japan that is visited by a race of aliens known as the Amanto. The Amanto introduced them to all kinds of at-the-time super futuristic technology, but also imposed a ban on swords and brought an end to the concept of samurai. However, a resistance group pops up and declares war on the Amanto.....and fail miserably. Our story takes place sometime later, when Gintoki Sakata - a former member of the resistance - is now living his life just doing freelance oddjobs cause at this point he really just cares about paying the rent. However, he's oftentimes also rather lazy thanks to his love of sweets, Jump (yes, Jump exists within this universe) and assorted stuff. Accompanying him on his Wacky Misadventures is constant butt of jokes Shinpachi Shimura, alien girl Kagura and her giant pet dog Sadaharu.

Gintama is the kinda series that just does not give a ****. It's filled with over-the-top humor, puns, references to everything ever, fourth-wall breaks, and sometimes it even actually kinda delves into serious shonen action! The series went on to be extremely popular, running for quite a long time, getting an anime that is in itself long-running, and becoming pretty much a constant fixture of any kind of Jump crossover/celebration/whatever thing since its debut (once again with the exception of Jump Force, which I've already established as something that should be treated as an outlier). I mean, I'm a huge fan of it too - Gintoki might actually be my favorite Shonen Jump character. Biases aside, Gintoki is one of those characters that just kinda Have To Be In, and is easily the biggest grab from the 2000s to not be on our roster yet.

In terms of abilities, Gintoki is actually a very skilled swordsman, his weapon of choice being a wooden sword. He'd also likely have his moped involved somewhere in his moveset. Beyond that, however, we really could do anything with him. Gintoki is a gag character, and he comes from a series with a particularly deranged sense of humor, so he's one of these characters where we really can just go nuts.

Anyway yeah Gintoki is epic and should be in

Attachments

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Senku 9
Hikaru 1
Soma 5
Sena 3

Senku from Dr. Stone and Soma from Food Wars will be joining the assist roster.

Also, Megadoomer Megadoomer 's Luffy moveset wins by default again.

Character submissions will remain open until tomorrow.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Tsuna
2. Bo-bobo
3. Allen

(I haven't read Gintama or Medaka Box, so I didn't have much to go on for them)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Bobobo 8
Allen 11
Tsuna 6
Medaka 4
Gintoki 13

Gintoki and Allen will be joining the roster. (Apparently someone changed their votes in the last minute so my calculations from the other day were outdated, as there was originally a tie between Bobobo and Allen)

Job 23: Submit a stage
Submit a stage for a series that doesn't have one yet. It can be a series that doesn't have a fighter yet and even a series that's only represented by an assist

Job 24: Submit a moveset for Naruto
Use this moveset template to create a moveset for Naruto.
Light Neutral
Light Side
Light Down
Light Up
Light Dash Attack
Light NAir
Light UAir
Light DAir
Heavy Neutral
Heavy Side
Heavy Down
Heavy Up
Heavy Dash Attack
Heavy NAir
Heavy UAir
Heavy DAir
Shield Attack
Neutral Specials
Side Special
Up Special
Down Special
Super Attack
Team Super(s)
Like Luffy, Naruto's moveset from JUS is pretty outdated, though not as much since Naruto continued to run for 8 more years after JUS

Like with Goku and Luffy, Naruto should be an accessible character that's relatively easy to understand

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 24: Naruto moveset

Light Neutral: punch

Light Side: lunging punch

Light Down: headbutt

Light Up: kunai swipe (swipes a kunai knife vertically upwards)

Light Dash Attack: dive kick

Light NAir: punch

Light UAir: flip kick

Light DAir: stomp

Heavy Neutral: clone rush (two clones appear in front of him, punching/kicking)

Heavy Side: clone toss (Naruto summons a shadow clone, throwing it as a projectile)

Heavy Down: slide kick

Heavy Up: chin kick (this knocks the opponent into the air)

Heavy Dash Attack: Rasengan. Naruto creates a swirling ball of chakra in his hand and slams it into his opponent.

Heavy NAir: roundhouse kick

Heavy UAir: uppercut

Heavy DAir: axe kick (kicks by swinging his leg downward like one would swing an axe)

Shield Attack: Kyuubi Claw. Tapping into the Nine Tailed Fox's energy for a bit, Naruto swings a large claw made of red chakra.

Neutral Specials: Rasenshuriken. Unlike the normal Rasengan, this is a projectile. It can be charged up, with the charged state being visibly larger than the normal state and creating a bigger explosion.

Side Special: Windmill Shuriken. A reference to an early part of the series - Naruto throws a giant shuriken, only for it to reveal (either when the shuriken hits the opponent or when it travels a certain distance) that Naruto used a transformation jutsu to turn into the shuriken, while the Naruto who threw it was a shadow clone. When Naruto turns back to normal, he kicks downwards, and his clone disappears in a puff of smoke.

Up Special: Clone Boost. Naruto summons three shadow clones beneath him, who fling him higher into the air.

Down Special: Substitution Jutsu. A counter; Naruto uses one of his ninja hand symbols, and if an opponent attacks him while he's in that stance, he's replaced with a log as he appears behind the opponent, attacking them.

Super Attack: Tailed Beast Bomb. Naruto summons the full power of the Nine Tailed Fox, becoming a gold-coloured version of the tailed beast. He hovers in the mouth of the fox, holding out his hands as a massive ball of black energy charges up before the ball is fired across the stage. (there's a video here from Jump Force, though it's likely spoilery if you're not up-to-date on Naruto)

Team Super(s): I'm only going to do three this time, as I want to save room in case another Naruto character gets added.

-Tailed Beast Spirit Bomb (Naruto + Goku): Naruto and Goku already had a team attack in Jump Super Stars, but to say that Naruto's had a few upgrades since then is an understatement. Transforming into his full Kyuubi cloak form, Naruto charges up a Tailed Beast Bomb while Goku charges up a Spirit Bomb. Both attacks are launched at the opponent, fusing into a black-and-white swirling ball of devastation that creates an even larger explosion than the Spirit Bomb once it connects with the ground or an opponent.

-Uzumaki-Monkey Barrage (Naruto + Luffy): Naruto uses his Shadow Clone Jutsu, causing Luffy to get all starry-eyed as he tends to do around awesome things like robots, ninjas, laser beams, etc. The clones rush towards the opponent(s), knocking them into the air. Several more clones are already in the air, Rasengans at the ready. Meanwhile, Luffy has gotten underneath the opponent, preparing Gum Gum Jet Storm. The opponents are sandwiched between Rasengans above them and fists below as they're rapidly pummeled from both sides.

-Texas to Tokyo Red Eye Flight (Naruto + Deku): Deku's busy making notes about possible strategies, while Naruto yells at him to get going. Naruto (being Naruto) charges right in, transforming into Sage Mode. Briefly activating 100% of One For All's power, Deku vanishes, appearing in front of the opponent before using Texas Smash to uppercut the opponent(s), launching them into the air from the wind pressure. Naruto intercepts the opponent(s) in midair with a giant Rasengan, which carries the opponent(s) off into the distance. Naruto lands, patting Deku on the back as the Rasengan explodes in a giant blue ball of chakra.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job 23: Dark Tournament Arena (YuYu Hakusho)
1639412658081.png

The main location from YuYu Hakusho's Dark Tournament arena, which is by far the most popular arc of that series. After Yusuke and his friendly rival Kuwabara supposedly defeated the pair of demon mercenaries known as the Toguro Brothers, they found out that they threw the match and were forced into a fighting tournament filled with demons, or else their loved ones will die.

This arena is the main location of the first three rounds of the tournament. It's a flat stage with no platforms. Kind of basic, but it is a traditional fighting arena, so it kind of has to be.

In terms of background cameos, Team Urameshi (Yusuke, Kuwabara, Kurama, Hiei, and Genkai) an Team Toguro (Younger Toguro, Elder Toguro, Bui, and Karasu) would observe the action from outside the ring. Maybe you could include other teams such as Team Rokuyukai or Team Ichigaki and have it be a random set of teams each match like the KoF stage.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #23: Southern Cross from Fist of the North Star
Southerncross.jpg

Southern Cross is a city that was used as the base of operations for the KING Organization, led by Shin. This city was intended by Shin as a symbol of his affections for Kenshiro's wife, Yuria, and it was from here that he controlled the majority of the former Kanto region. The city's population mostly consisted of slaves, who were forced to live and work there and were branded with Shin's emblem, the Bloody Cross.

I've submitted stages with extremely basic layouts so far, but Southern Cross would be a bit more interesting. As you can see from the image above, the wreckage-filled aesthetic of the city could lead to some more comparatively varied layouts or terrain. We could give it steep slopes, all kinds of platforms, etc. Shin and the four liutenants of the KING organization would stand in the background, watching the fight unfold.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 23: Egyptian Tomb (Yu-Gi-Oh!)

Even if the gameplay is different, and it's probably lazy on my part to nominate a stage from a past game, I feel like an Egyptian pyramid is more distinct-looking than Battle City or Pegasus's island. The Millennium Puzzle platforms rotate around the large eye symbol in the center of the stage, with the platforms that resemble decks of cards being more stable.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm surprised that despite it being the third longest current Jump series, no one stood up for Black Clover. I thought someone would've covered that since I'm not a big fan of it, but oh well...

Job #23: Clover Castle (Black Clover)

As you would guess, this is in the Royal Capital of the Clover Kingdom and where a lot of significant plot developments happen. I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure the Magic Knights have operations here (although Asta's group, the Black Bulls, are out in the sticks). I get Castle Siege vibes from this location, so I'd imagine the stage will take place in multiple areas in the castle :yoshi:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Alright, I will be closing down submissions and we'll proceed to voting. Your choices are:

Jondolio Jondolio Dark Tournament Arena (YuYu Hakusho)
Speed Weed Speed Weed Southern Cross (Fist of the North Star)
Megadoomer Megadoomer Egyptian Tomb (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Zinith Zinith Clover Castle (Black Clover)

Vote for your top 2. Your own submission can only be at second place. Mine:

1. Southern Cross
2. Dark Tournament Arena

Also, Megadoomer Megadoomer 's Naruto moveset wins by default. However...

Job 25: Submit a moveset
Due to the lack of submissions, I think I'll stop having moveset prompts; instead, I'll have it as a side activity in the background of the thread. We might have Team Supers submissions though.

So yeah this is less of a job and more of a thing you can do if you want to whenever you want

Job 26: Submit an additional game mode
Please submit what the mode would be, how it would work, and how it fits into a game like this. You can submit modes from previous Jump games or brand new ones.
Note that the modes we currently have are:
  • Vs. Mode
  • Online Battle
  • Story Mode
I will be resubmitting Arcade Mode
I will submit arcade mode

Like in Smash Ultimate, each character will have a themed mode specifically for them (for example, Goku's would be titled "The World's Strongest" and he'd fight characters who are known for being extremely powerful, Luffy's would be "I'm gonna be King of the Pirates" and he'd fight characters who resemble villains from One Piece, and so forth) with a final boss in the end

Also each of character would have a unique ending like in MvC 3 that utilizes the crossover element. It could be a fun bit of fanservice

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Southern Cross
2. Dark Tournament

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Dark Tournament
2. Egyptian Tomb

Job #26: Trials

Alright, so what's this? I'm suggesting we cop something that several fighting games have made use of already, being a trial mode. Basically a mode that helps you master a character of your choice, by prompting you to perform all kinds of combos, special attacks, etc on a training dummy. As usual with these games, it'd have specialized stuff for each character, it'd be divided by levels that progressively go higher and higher in complexity, and so on. We could even bring back the lil' koma fellas that served as training dummies in JUS!

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Dark Tournament Arena 10
Southern Cross 4
Egyptian Tomb 4
Clover Castle 1

The Dark Tournament Arena will be added as a stage.

As for modes, we'll be conducting a poll:

Job 27: Submit an assist from a pre-1990 series
Submit an assist character that debuted from 1968 to 1989 and explain a bit about who they are, the series they're from, and how what they would do. They can be either returning assists from Jump Ultimate Stars or brand new, and unlike the character jobs, they can be from series that are already represented by a fighter.

Job 28: Submit a character who debuted from 2010 and onwards
Submit a Jump character that debuted from 2010 to the year of our lord 2021 and explain a bit about who they are, the series they're from, and how they would fight. They have to be from series not currently represented on the roster, and assist characters are ineligible.

For the character job, I will resubmit Yuji Itadori from Jujutsu Kaisen:
Job #1: Yuji Itadori (Jujutsu Kaisen)
View attachment 337967

Yuji is the main character of what seems to be Jump's new breakout hit series, Jujutsu Kaisen. After his grandfather told him on his deathbed to make sure that he dies surrounded by people by helping, Yuji happens to get involved in a supernatural event involving a curse that attacks his friend, which leads to swallow a finger of the ancient evil curse Ryomen Skuna, allowing Skuna to partially take control of his body.

However, Yuji is able to contain Skuna to an extent, and gets the ability to use Cursed Energy and enrolls in Jujutsu High, vowing to eat all of Skuna's fingers in order to follow his grandfather's instructions to help people by making sure Skuna is contained.

Yuji is both incredibly athletic and has the ability to control cursed energy, which for him translates to basically punching people really hard. However, he can also transform into Skuna on command, which would translate into this game by him being a stance character, as Skuna has a vastly different moveset and fighting styles compared to Yuji.
Might submit an assist later.

Top Bottom