• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

How many characters should we include at launch?

Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just discovered this thread and I have to admit, it's a pretty good idea for a theoretical fighting game. I don't want to join the voting when I don't have a contribution yet but I'll definitely follow the future jobs.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The results are in!

Dragon Ball:

Frieza 12
Vegeta 13
Bulma 1

Straw Hats:
Tony Tony Chopper 2
Jinbei 10
Roronoa Zoro 21
Nami 6
Usopp 16
Vinsmoke Sanji 6

Others:
Jolyne Cujoh 21
Hinata Hyuga 8
Nezuko Kamado 7
Himiko Toga 1
Joseph Joestar 16
Younger Toguro 7

So Vegeta, Zoro, and Jolyne will be joining the roster!

Job #11: Submit a Dragon Ball or Bleach stage
So far, 2 of the big four series have stages based on them. So for this job we will be giving stages to the ones that don't currently have a stage. We will be choosing the most voted stage for each series

I will be resubmitting Kame House
Job #5: Kame House (Dragon Ball)
View attachment 338402

An iconic location from Dragon Ball, Kame House is the residence of Master Roshi (and also Krillin and his family for some reason) and serves as sort of the unofficial base of operation for the Dragon Team. It's also where Goku and Krillin trained under Roshi.

The stage would be somewhat similar to Tortimer Island but the rooftops would serve as platforms. Also, Roshi, Turtle, Launch, Bulma, Krillin, Oolong, Android 18 and possibly a few more of Goku's allies would appear in the background.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #11: Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragon Ball
Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber.gif

The Hyperbolic Time Chamber is a dimension that exists beyond Earth, and can be accessed through Kami's Lookout. There's no such thing as night or day, one year equates to a single day on Earth, and so on. It's mainly used for training purposes, and many main characters throughout the series have set foot in there.

The stage layout is pretty simple - it takes place on the outskirts of the Chamber, being mostly a flat walk-off with the distinction of the entrance steps in the middle. I mainly picked it cause I think it's a cool, visually distinct place that isn't quite as beaten to the ground as something like Namek but is still a major recurring location.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Since I want to keep activity in this thread going, I'll start the next job.

Job #12: Submit an assist character from one of the big four series
The Koma deck system in the Jump Stars game required the player to have an assist in their deck, which had many different applications such as attack, stat boosts, healing, and more. For this job I will be asking you to submit our first Assist character. Their effect can vary, but make sure to explain what it is as well as who the character is. The assist character must be from one of the big four series. You can choose anyone you want as long as they weren't playable in Jump Ultimate Stars.

In addition, suggest how to streamline the koma system from JUS

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #12: Usopp
1638023845732.png

With Toro getting in, Usopp is effectively dead. However we can grave rob his chances of being a fighter and get him in through the Koma system. I admittedly don't know what Koma's are so I'm assuming they work similar to something like the Assists in Fraymakers, so my suggestion is he'd use his slingshot and then he's fire multiple (maybe 10) shots, all being fast and going far but not being highly damaging individually.

Still don't know what a Koma is, from what I gathered I think they're somewhat similar to Spirits in Smash but more customizable. To streamline it for a local multiplayer game I suggest being able to make Koma loadouts (like Spirit loadouts in Smash)

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Aight, let’s try this again. Unless I missed him when looking through the JUS roster, I’m pretty sure he’s eligible here.

Job #12: Gaara (Naruto)

DFB1086A-5FB5-4FF3-84C1-B00AAE5BAE17.jpeg

Gaara is a major Naruto character who serves as a parallel to the titular protagonist. He was also born as the host of a demon and struggled with being ostracized by his village. Unlike Naruto, this troubled upbringing causes him to have a more nihilistic worldview and cause destruction. It isn’t until he meets Naruto that he starts to redeem himself.

While Gaara could warrant being playable due to his popularity, he has a **** ton of competition from Naruto’s incredibly massive and popular cast. Aside from Sasuke pretty much being a guarantee, he also has to contend with Kakashi, Rock Lee, and many others. So why not let him be an assist? For his assist function, he’ll create a shield of sand around whoever summoned him, protecting them from any attack for a short period of time. This would fit with Gaara’s fighting style being more defensive.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #12: Nico Robin (One Piece)

View attachment 338911

Nico Robin is a member of the Straw Hat pirates who joins right after the Alabasta arc. She’s the archaeologist of the crew and uses her knowledge to decipher poneglyphs. She’s also a user of the Hana Hana no Mi, which allows her to replicate any part of her body on any surface.

Honestly I’m a bit sad Robin was never pitched as a fighter because she’s my favorite Straw Hat, so I might as well try and get her in as an assist. For her assist, she’ll use her Devil Fruit powers to spawn a pair of arms near the opponent and grab them, rendering them helpless for a few seconds. This gives the player plenty of time to attack their opponent while Robin holds them down.
Robin is currently ineligible since she was playable in Jump Ultimate Stars.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Not sure how I want the koya system works so I’ll just submit an idea:
Yamcha (Dragon Ball)

He starts in the wolf fang fist position, with a saibaman on his back. He yells “Wolf Fang-“ but before he can finish the saibaman blows him up.

The explosion knocks any enemies away if they’re close enough

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Not sure how I want the koya system works so I’ll just submit an idea:
Yamcha (Dragon Ball)

He starts in the wolf fang fist position, with a saibaman on his back. He yells “Wolf Fang-“ but before he can finish the saibaman blows him up.

The explosion knocks any enemies away if they’re close enough
Damn bro why'd you have to do my man dirty like that

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A quick summary of how the Koma system in Jump Ultimate Stars works, since a lot of people seem unfamiliar or unsure about it.

hercule koma.png

1 panel: Help Koma. These characters don't appear on the battlefield, but provide a passive buff.

Krillin koma.png

2-3 panel: Support Koma. These characters aren't playable, but in Jump Ultimate Stars, tapping on their panels will cause them to appear and do something, whether it's using an attack, providing a stat boost, weakening the opponent, or something else. This is what we're currently nominating.

It's worth noting that the two panel version and the three panel version do different things - in Krillin's case, his two panel version has him using Solar Flare, while his three panel version has him using Destructo-Disc.

Goku koma.png

4-8 panel: playable characters. Some characters have more options than others, whether it's being more popular or having more material to work with. (so some playable characters might only have a 4 koma and a 5 koma version, while others like Goku have 4-8 koma versions and alternate ones that tie into the game's Rock Paper Scissors system)

In Jump Ultimate Stars, you needed one of each of these types of komas in your "deck" (a grid that's four panels high and five panels wide, where you arranged these in order to form what looks like a manga page). Support Koma could be summoned by tapping their icon on the touch screen, while you could switch characters by pressing L or R or by tapping that character on the touch screen. Since modern consoles don't have two screens, this isn't really an option.

Maybe you could assign supports to the D-pad and summon them by pressing a direction, with each support having a separate cooldown and each player only being allowed to have one support out at a time? It would mean limiting players to a maximum of four supports, but I'm not sure how often people would have used five supports in a deck to begin with.

(characters would be switched between by pressing L and R or ZL and ZR, maybe, though I'm not sure if we're just supposed to focus on streamlining support characters right now)

Also, a quick reference on who's ineligible for this job (not counting the already-confirmed characters):

Dragon Ball:

-Piccolo
-Gohan
-Gotenks
-Frieza
-Kid Buu

One Piece:

-Nami
-Sanji
-Robin
-Franky

Naruto:

-Sasuke
-Sakura
-Kakashi

Bleach:

-Rukia
-Renji
-Hitsugaya

Everyone else from those series is (as far as I know) fair game.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I think Megadoomer's approach works, but I have had Insider InfoTM (and by that I mean Discord conversations) that suggests we'll be heavily streamlining the assist roster itself and making it a lot more focused, rather than the gazabajillion assist characters JUS had. So with that in mind, I would suggest to streamline it even further.

If there's anything we've probably all internalized by now, it's that Koma decks as we saw them won't work. And that's probably true! However, there was a part of the decks that I think we can make work: aside from just tapping the koma to use them, another thing you could do was give them special "positions" of sorts. Namely, you could set one of your fighter koma as the "leader", meaning they'd be the character you have on by default, and then you could map two koma each to the L and R shoulder buttons - whether it be another fighter to switch to....or a support koma to summon out!

What I'm suggesting is that we take influence from that specific feature for our streamlined koma system. My pitch is that you just pick a playable fighter as usual, and then you can take two support koma with you that can be summoned out by pressing - you guessed it - the shoulder buttons. Just like in JUS, these support koma are represented by manga panels taken straight from the original series and can be either other playable characters performing an assist attack or an assist-exclusive character like the ones we're currently submitting. Unfortunately, once again for the sake of streamlining things, I imagine we might have to only have one koma per character, as opposed to the whole business with 2 panels and 3 panels and such. The whole shoulder button business is probably the only thing about the support koma that we could bring back, so.....might as well make it the only thing about the support koma that we bring back.

In addition, I'm not sure if we're bringing back help koma as well, but if we are, then I don't think it's too unreasonable to add a fourth member to your entourage by having a single equippable help koma that provides a passive buff on your playable character.

Anyway I might submit someone for this job. Emphasis on "might".

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hercule/Mr. Satan (Dragon Ball)

Ooh yeah, it's the Champ! Mr. Satan is the ultimate defender of Earth, who has single-handedly saved the planet from threats such as Cell and the God of Destruction Beebus! (okay, so he's a total blowhard, but his reputation has come in handy)

Mr. Satan would make for a pretty entertaining playable character, but I feel like people would be upset if the Dragon Ball line-up consisted of Goku, Vegeta, and Mr. Satan, so I figure he should be promoted from Help to Assist, at least.

If we're still doing two separate attacks for each support character like in Jump Ultimate Stars, his 2-koma attack could be Dynamite Kick! ...it's easily the weakest attack in the game, but it has a small cooldown to make up for it.

His 3 koma attack could be Present For You (as the games call it), where he gives a handheld video game console to whichever opponent touches him. The console is rigged with explosives, and he detonates it, causing it to explode and do more damage than you'd expect. (Mr. Satan is so close that he's caught in the explosion, leaving him comedically charred) This has a longer cooldown than his 2 koma assist as a result. (about average for a 3 koma assist)

(if support characters only get one attack, I feel like Dynamite Kick summarizes him better)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tony Tony Chopper
1638087708249.png

Chopper is the sixth member to join the straw hat crew, and their medic. He's a reindeer who ate the Hito Hito No Mi and became a human/reindeer hybrid, which caused him to be shunned by his herd, but he was feared by humans due to his monster-like appearance. He was adopted by Doctor Hiriluk and then Doctor Kureha after Hiriluk's death, and joined the Straw Hats after they visited his homeland of Drum Island, and helped take down their tyrannical king Wapol.

Since we already have our additional Straw Hat crew member in Zoro, Chopper will not be able to join the playable roster. However, due to his status as somewhat of a mascot for One Piece and his occupation as a medic, I feel that he's perfect for an assist role. When summoned, he would treat whoever summoned him and heal them a signifcant amount. However, this would have a very long cooldown.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
We will now begin voting on stages. Hueco Mundo will be added by default as it's the only Bleach stage submitted, so your options for Dragon Ball stages are:

Jondolio Jondolio Kame House
Speed Weed Speed Weed Hyperbolic Time Chamber

We will also begin voting on assists. Your options are:

CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Usopp
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos Gaara
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Yamcha
Megadoomer Megadoomer Mr. Satan
Jondolio Jondolio Tony Tony Chopper

Vote for your top 2 in each category. As always you can only put your own submission in second place

1. Hyperbolic Time Chamber
2. Kame House

1, Mr. Satan
2. Chopper

Also, I know it's a lot but we might begin submissions for the next job soon as well

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
2. Kame House

1. Chopper
2. Mr. Satan

Jondolio

Smash Hero
You can still vote, but I'd like to proceed with submissions for the next two jobs:

Job #13: Submit a character who debuted prior to 1990
Submit a classic Jump character that debuted from 1968 to 1989 and explain a bit about who they are, the series they're from, and how they would fight. They can be either returning characters from Jump Ultimate Stars or brand new, but they have to be from series not currently represented on the roster.

Job #14: Submit a name for this game
It's hard to justify calling this game Jump Stars 3 when a. it's a reboot and b. the jump stars series is 16 years old and never made it out of Japan, meaning most of the general public doesn't even know there are Jump Stars 1 and 2. You can use the naming convention from the previous two games, but you can also go in a completely different direction since again, it's a reboot.

Votes for the last two jobs are still open.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

2. Kame House

1, Mr. Satan
2. Chopper

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Original essay written by Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto for Anime All-Stars.
Job #13:
Pre-1990 Fighter
Pegasus Seiya - Saint Seiya
Seiya is the titular protagonist of the Saint Seiya franchise. A legendary series that has been running in Shounen Jump Weekly from 1986 to 1990 for its original run. He was one of 100 orphans sent around the world in order to become Saints, which are basically knights of the universe. After 7 years of training in Greece, Seiya defeats his rival Cassios before receiving the Pegasus Cloth, which made him a Bronze Pegasus Saint. At the beginning of the series, his main objective is to find his older sister Seika, who disappeared when he was sent to Greece to train to become a Saint. However, as Seiya starts fighting alongside the other Bronze Saints, albeit reluctantly at first, his motivations shift to the protection of Athena, the Goddess of War and Wisdom.

So why should he be in? He is a very iconic figure from Shounen Jump ever since its inception. His moveset also writes for itself: Pegasus Ryu Sei Ken (being chargable), Pegasus Rolling Crash, etc... Well, all in all, he should definitely be in the roster given his legacy status.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You can still vote, but I'd like to proceed with submissions for the next two jobs:

Job #13: Submit a character who debuted prior to 1990
Submit a classic Jump character that debuted from 1968 to 1989 and explain a bit about who they are, the series they're from, and how they would fight. They can be either returning characters from Jump Ultimate Stars or brand new, but they have to be from series not currently represented on the roster.

It's hard to justify calling this game Jump Stars 3 when a. it's a reboot and b. the jump stars series is 16 years old and never made it out of Japan, meaning most of the general public doesn't even know there are Jump Stars 1 and 2. You can use the naming convention from the previous two games, but you can also go in a completely different direction since again, it's a reboot.

Votes for the last two jobs are still open.
Job 13: Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)

In the distant future of 199X, the planet was enveloped in nuclear war. The seas dried up, the land became barren, but humanity lived on. Wandering this hellish wasteland is Kenshiro, successor to the ancient assassination art of Hokuto Shinken, which causes its victims to explode once certain pressure points on their bodies have been hit. Kenshiro roams from place to place, having adventures, helping the helpless, and having to deal with the chaos that follows a Hokuto Shinken user wherever he goes. Those who assault the innocent should live in fear, for once they meet Kenshiro, they are already dead.

Kenshiro is the protagonist of Fist of the North Star, a man who's basically a mix between Mad Max and Bruce Lee. Full of compassion despite the brutal nature of his skills, Kenshiro initially wanders in search of his fiancee Yuria and the man who gave him the Big Dipper-shaped scars on his chest, his rival Shin. This brings him into contact with all sorts of villages in need of help, skilled martial artists, and his three adopted brothers, who he believed to be dead.

Kenshiro was playable in Jump Ultimate Stars, using various Hokuto Shinken attacks, weapons such as nunchuks, and Jump Force also demonstrated his ability to borrow techniques from his many fallen allies and rivals. The series has made a pretty big impact on pop culture, including a real-life funeral for one of its antagonists (though I'm pretty sure that was a publicity stunt for a movie) and a bunch of spin-offs and adaptations, including one where the nuclear apocalypse never occurred but everyone more or less keeps the same personalities. (he also has a recent mobile game where he crossed over with Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter, of all things)

Also, it has the best anime theme song of all time.

Job 14: Jump All Stars

It might not be the most original name, but it fits the theme, and I'm not sure how else to top "Ultimate" in terms of a "Jump ____ Stars" name.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #13: Arale Norimaki
1638119023711.png

Arale is the main protagonist of Dr. Slump, a gag manga that ran in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1980 to 1984. Arale is a little girl robot built by an inventor named Senbei Norimaki who lives in a town called Penguin Village. Arale is extremely naive and doesn't quite understand human social norms, which combined with her hyperactivity and insane strength gets her into all sorts of wacky misadventures.

By the way, of those personality traits I described sound like young Goku, that's probably no coincidence as Dr. Slump was created by non other than Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball. Dr. Slump actually predates Dragon Ball and was Toriyama's first full series to be published in Jump, which began a very long partnership that's still going on to this day. In fact, Arale made an appearance in the Red Ribbon Arc of Dragon Ball, and from what I understand she's made a few appearances in Super as well!
1638119538809.png

Arale has been playable in every Jump fighting game since Jump Super Stars (other than Jump Force), so she would likely fight like she did in Jump Ultimate Stars, accompanied by her friend Gatchan.

Most of our cast currently consists of action-based characters which is to be expected from a Jump game, but Jump is so much more than that. Arale would provide more representation to the gag manga side of Jump, which is actually pretty big and is currently represented solely by Ryotsu. She's also a girl, which as of right now we only have one of on our roster, that being Jolyne, so if we want more then she's one of our best options.

D

Deleted member

Kinnikuman

Kinnikuman is the main protagonist of the Kinnikuman manga series. A lazy superhero who discovers that he is the heir to the throne of the planet Kinniku and must compete in intergalactic wresting tournaments in order to prove himself worthy.

The seires is hugely influential, inspiring a lot of modern manga creators. It was also hugely popular, receiving anime adaptions and a ton of merch. It even reviced a sequel, which became Ultimate Muscle in the West. (Conent from that would sadly be ineligible due to it appearing in another magazine.)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
By the way, of those personality traits I described sound like young Goku, that's probably no coincidence as Dr. Slump was created by non other than Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball. Dr. Slump actually predates Dragon Ball and was Toriyama's first full series to be published in Jump, which began a very long partnership that's still going on to this day. In fact, Arale made an appearance in the Red Ribbon Arc of Dragon Ball, and from what I understand she's made a few appearances in Super as well!
Yep, she did - Vegeta became self-aware and realized that Arale has to be a gag manga character because nobody else could violate physics like that.

That episode and the baseball episode were some of the best parts of Super, in my opinion. The action was great, sure, but I really liked the one-off comedy episodes.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Yep, she did - Vegeta became self-aware and realized that Arale has to be a gag manga character because nobody else could violate physics like that.

That episode and the baseball episode were some of the best parts of Super, in my opinion. The action was great, sure, but I really liked the one-off comedy episodes.
Holy **** imagine the interaction if she made it into this game

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 13

Tsubasa Ozora (Captain Tsubasa)

Captain Tsubasa is a manga that debuted in 1981 and is about Football/Soccer and is quite popular having many spin off manga and dozens of games and anime. Tsubasa himself would use kick and ball attacks.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Megadoomer's approach works, but I have had Insider InfoTM (and by that I mean Discord conversations) that suggests we'll be heavily streamlining the assist roster itself and making it a lot more focused, rather than the gazabajillion assist characters JUS had. So with that in mind, I would suggest to streamline it even further.

If there's anything we've probably all internalized by now, it's that Koma decks as we saw them won't work. And that's probably true! However, there was a part of the decks that I think we can make work: aside from just tapping the koma to use them, another thing you could do was give them special "positions" of sorts. Namely, you could set one of your fighter koma as the "leader", meaning they'd be the character you have on by default, and then you could map two koma each to the L and R shoulder buttons - whether it be another fighter to switch to....or a support koma to summon out!

What I'm suggesting is that we take influence from that specific feature for our streamlined koma system. My pitch is that you just pick a playable fighter as usual, and then you can take two support koma with you that can be summoned out by pressing - you guessed it - the shoulder buttons. Just like in JUS, these support koma are represented by manga panels taken straight from the original series and can be either other playable characters performing an assist attack or an assist-exclusive character like the ones we're currently submitting. Unfortunately, once again for the sake of streamlining things, I imagine we might have to only have one koma per character, as opposed to the whole business with 2 panels and 3 panels and such. The whole shoulder button business is probably the only thing about the support koma that we could bring back, so.....might as well make it the only thing about the support koma that we bring back.

In addition, I'm not sure if we're bringing back help koma as well, but if we are, then I don't think it's too unreasonable to add a fourth member to your entourage by having a single equippable help koma that provides a passive buff on your playable character.

Anyway I might submit someone for this job. Emphasis on "might".
I really like this idea, but I also think we should opt to give the support komas multiple moves if we're scaling the koma system down to this extent. One of the elements that made support komas work in Ultimate stars is that they took far less space on the deck than fighter komas, so there was a bit more strategy in deciding how many pfighter, support, and helper komas you wanted. Is it worth it to have one character and fully invest in giving them the assists and buffs they need, or is it better to have multiple playable characters at the cost of little customization beyond that? (Turns out the answer is basically always the latter in both casual and competitive play, but that is more of an issue with execution and giving each playable character their own life bar than concept).

Because this system grants the same resource cost to support and playable characters, I just don't see why people would opt to choose support characters. Not only is getting an extra playable character more intuitively appealing, but it's usually the more rational option as well. If you're choosing between an entire moveset of additional options vs. a single extra option, that option better be really damn good.

As such, I think granting the support komas some extra moves would make them more appealing as an option relative to fighter komas. You're just getting more utility out of them as player and, assuming we're maintaining the player's ability to act with their playable character while a support koma is on the field, there would be certain scenarios where having a support koma is more advantageous than having an extra fighter. This obviously wouldn't go as far giving them a full moveset, but I think even 4 moves are executable by pressing L/R with a particular direction (like special moves, tilts, and smash attacks in Smash Bros) would go a long way in making this mechanic reach its full potential.

That being said, I would like to see if we could somehow maintain elements of the old fighter koma system (primarily, the ability to access play as powerful, alternative forms at the cost of taking more of the player's resources [In the case of Ultimate Stars, deck space]), but that's a discussion for another day.

Anyways, voting time:

2. Kame House

1. Usopp
2. Mr. Satan

I really like the idea of Gaara somehow being in the game, but I personally think we should hold off on adding him as a support until more of the roster fills out. Depending on how many Naruto characters we're adding, Gaara would be a lot of fun as a full playable character.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Depending on how many Naruto characters we're adding, Gaara would be a lot of fun as a full playable character.
Actually this is something I want to establish right now

Each series gets a maximum of 3 characters in the base game, with the potential exception of One Piece and Dragon Ball which might get 4 if there's enough room. This is so that we'll have room for as many series as possible.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I really like this idea, but I also think we should opt to give the support komas multiple moves if we're scaling the koma system down to this extent. One of the elements that made support komas work in Ultimate stars is that they took far less space on the deck than fighter komas, so there was a bit more strategy in deciding how many pfighter, support, and helper komas you wanted. Is it worth it to have one character and fully invest in giving them the assists and buffs they need, or is it better to have multiple playable characters at the cost of little customization beyond that? (Turns out the answer is basically always the latter in both casual and competitive play, but that is more of an issue with execution and giving each playable character their own life bar than concept).

Because this system grants the same resource cost to support and playable characters, I just don't see why people would opt to choose support characters. Not only is getting an extra playable character more intuitively appealing, but it's usually the more rational option as well. If you're choosing between an entire moveset of additional options vs. a single extra option, that option better be really damn good.

As such, I think granting the support komas some extra moves would make them more appealing as an option relative to fighter komas. You're just getting more utility out of them as player and, assuming we're maintaining the player's ability to act with their playable character while a support koma is on the field, there would be certain scenarios where having a support koma is more advantageous than having an extra fighter. This obviously wouldn't go as far giving them a full moveset, but I think even 4 moves are executable by pressing L/R with a particular direction (like special moves, tilts, and smash attacks in Smash Bros) would go a long way in making this mechanic reach its full potential.

That being said, I would like to see if we could somehow maintain elements of the old fighter koma system (primarily, the ability to access play as powerful, alternative forms at the cost of taking more of the player's resources [In the case of Ultimate Stars, deck space]), but that's a discussion for another day.

Anyways, voting time:

2. Kame House

1. Usopp
2. Mr. Satan

I really like the idea of Gaara somehow being in the game, but I personally think we should hold off on adding him as a support until more of the roster fills out. Depending on how many Naruto characters we're adding, Gaara would be a lot of fun as a full playable character.
Honestly this is fair. I put my idea forward just as something that Sounded Good To Me, so this kind of discussion can definitely help make it better.

Anyway, I'll submit a character myself. I do, in fact, know a lot about Jump, so I really wasn't starved for options here in the slightest. So many good characters I could have gone for from so many notable series....and I really did struggle! There were probably, like, 20 other characters I could give a shoutout to. There was one character I wanted to submit above all else, but all these other characters kept popping into my head as I thought "yeah maybe I should submit that one insteaaaaaad". Ultimately, however, I stuck to my guns! I've played it pretty safe with my submissions so far, but now that I have the opportunity, I am about to go nuts. The weights are off. I have a feeling that this isn't the right choice to make, but **** it, against my better judgement, I'm submitting them cause I want to. At the risk of some characters that prooooooooobably should be submitted being thrown to the wolves, it's time for the man, the myth, the legend......

Job #13: Dark Schneider from *******!!
20211128_201434.png

Dark Schneider is the protagonist of Kazushi Hagiwara's over-the-top dark fantasy manga, *******!!. The series started out in 1988, so it just barely qualifies for this job. Its original run in WSJ was actually rather irregular, lasting from '88 to '89 and then lasting from '97 to 2000, while inbetween those two periods it also ran from '90 to '96 in the quarterly magazine Weekly Shonen Jump Specials. It was then transferred to fellow Shueisha magazine Ultra Jump in 2000 and has continued since then. I mean, it's been on hiatus since 2010, but it's technically still running to this day!

*******!! follows the story of the post-apocalyptic kingdom of Metallicana, which is under attack by a group of warriors known as the Four Lords of Havoc. In an attempt to stop them, the high priest asks his daughter, Tia Noto Yoko, to awaken a powerful wizard who has been sealed for 15 years. That wizard being - you guessed it - the man himself, our guy, our dude, Dark mother****in' Schneider.

(Also, yes, as you can probably tell from the kingdom of "Metallicana", *******!! follows a similar naming convention to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, although it mostly specifically pulls from metal bands and their members and work. There's a character called Bon Jovina. The other three main kingdoms in the series' world are called Judas, Iron Maiden and Whitesnake. It's great, it really just enhances the whole thing even more)

Indeed, as has been alluded to multiple times now, the main appeal of *******!! is just how stupidly over-the-top it is. DS himself is an out-and-out force of personality - despite his technically heroic role, he is, in fact, an egomaniacal asshole who was the former leader of the Four Lords and intitially just plans on getting them back together and taking over the world. This sounds like it'd make him hard to root for, but again, everything about him is so bat**** crazy and dumb that he loops back around to being an entertaining character.

Being an extremely powerful dark wizard, DS has heaps of moveset potential. He has enhanced strength and durability, can regenerate his body parts and cast illusions, has access to the Fire Sword and has a wide range of spells at his disposal - some of which include casting magic explosions, opening the gates to Hell, a wide range of fire/lightning magic, making magma erupt from the ground, summoning a magic bow and arrow, and calling forth golems and fire elementals.

Although the series never got a proper anime, it did get a 6-episode OVA series in the early 90s. Generally, if we're looking past all the hot new hits for potential series we could include that haven't been featured at all in any of the big console crossover fighters, then *******!! is definitely high up there in terms of notoriety. Not only is it technically still running, but it's actually in the top 30 highest-selling Jump manga of all time, surpassing popular series such as Death Note, Assassination Classroom and Sakigake!! Otokojuku. It has a fan following, and I think its over-the-top metal-as-**** fantasy setting would make for a really fun juxtaposition with some of the other series in Jump's repertoire. There's also the fact that Dark Schneider himself is just an utterly insane character

(I just realized the series' title is censored on Smashboards lmao so uhhhhh look it up!)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job 14: Jump VS Cross Unite
Honestly didn't know where we could go next with the Jump Stars branding so I'm in favor of ditching it in favor of something else. I asked my IRL friend for help and this is what they came up with so we shoule go with that. It's generic as hell but **** me if it doesn't sound cool

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Kame House 6
Time Chamber 12

Usopp 3
Gaara 2
Yamcha 1
Mr. Satan 8
Chopper 5

So The Hyperbolic Time Chamber will be our Dragon Ball stage and Mr. Satan will be our first Assist character.

Submissions for Jobs #13 and #14 will remain open for a while longer.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Resubmitting Dai
Dai (Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai)
1638187612718.png
Dai is the protagonist of the manga Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, with an Anime so nice they had to make it twice. Dai is the twelve year old hero from Dermline Island. Dai should be considered for his wide range of spells and excellent sword fighting skills. Also, I wouldn't consider Square an issue because they allowed Dai in Jump Force so I don't see their minds changing since then.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Submissions for Job 13 are closed, so we will now proceed to voting.

tonygameman tonygameman Pegasus Seiya
Megadoomer Megadoomer Kenshiro
Jondolio Jondolio Arale Norimaki
@Darkonedagger Kinnikuman
cashregister9 cashregister9 Tsubasa Oroza
Speed Weed Speed Weed Dark Schneider
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Dai

As always, you can only vote for your own submission in second or third place. We will add the top 2 most voted characters to our roster. My votes:

1. Kenshiro
I'm gonna say this right out the gate: I think all of the characters submitted are good picks and I hope they all get included in our roster eventually. However, if there's one character we absolutely have to include on our roster, it's Kenshiro. He's basically the granddaddy of all Shonen manga.
2. Kinnikuman
Well, technically the title of "granddaddy of all Shonen manga" should go to Kinnikuman, but Ken is more iconic. Still, Kinnikuman deserves it just as much and we need a grappler.
3. Arale
We could definitely use more female characters.

Submissions for Job 14 will remain open for a while longer

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Arale Norimaki (another female and gag character, plus a precursor to Dragon Ball)
2. Pegasus Seiya
3. Dark Schneider

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Arale
2. Kenshiro
3. Kinnikuman

It's probably not super original of me to vote exclusively for veterans.

Also, I'm not sure if these are still available online anywhere (there definitely aren't official translations for the Kochikame ones), but I had them saved on my computer, and I figured people might be interested in them; they're official crossover material between Kochikame and two separate Jump series (Dragon Ball and Naruto). The only other times that I can think of where something like this happened was between One Piece and Dragon Ball, or between One Piece and Toriko, though maybe something similar happened with a series like Gintama and I wasn't aware of it.

I also included Cross Epoch (the Dragon Ball and One Piece crossover) on the off chance that someone hasn't seen it. (and to complete the six degrees of separation between Luffy and Naruto - technically, Naruto appeared on a One Piece cover to pay tribute to Naruto (the series) when it ended, but he's mostly covered up by Nami)

(there's two instances of rude language in here, though it's the name of the series that Dark Schneider is from; I'm not sure if it was added to "spice up" the translation, like when some fan translations make characters drop f-bombs when they're nowhere near as rude in the original)

Last edited:
Top Bottom