• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

How many characters should we include at launch?

Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jondolio

Smash Hero
In 2006, a game called Jump Super Stars was released for the Nintendo DS in Japan only. Oddly enough, it was something akin to a platform fighter back when the genre was still at its infancy (Smash only had two games back then), and just like Smash, was a crossover for a specific company, that being the Shonen Jump manga magazine. An updated version/sequel called Jump Ultimate Stars released the following year with even more content, but like the original never made it out of Japan.

Since then, there have been multiple Jump crossover fighters, but they’ve mostly utilized the 3d arena fighter style popularized by other popular anime fighters such as Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm. For this creation thread, we’re gonna pretend that after seeing the success of big crossover platform fighters like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the head of Shueisha decided to contact Bandai Namco and Ganbarion for another go at a game of this style. Only this time, the team has more time to refine the game’s mechanics and implement more traditional fighting game modes. In a sense, this is a complete reboot of the Jump Stars series, with a mix of old and new characters and a refined set of mechanics. We are the team at Ganbarion, and it’s our job to decide which stages, modes, mechanics and most importantly, characters, get added into this game. If you’re interested in joining our team, it’s as easy as submitting an item that matches the current job description or joining the voting process.

Roster
While I would love to pull a Smash Ultimate and say “Everyone is Here” and then add 20 more characters on top of that… I can’t help but feel that it would be a little boring considering there have only been 2 games in the series so far and all of the characters from the first game returned in the second one. Also, while it was great having all these characters, the gameplay, while fun, left something to be desired, and since we’re setting out to make a more refined platform fighting experience, we are gonna start with a clean slate. We will have a total of 50 characters in the base roster, with half of them returning from Jump Ultimate Stars and the other half being new. Our roster includes:
  1. Kankichi Ryotsu (KochiKame)
  2. Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)
  3. Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
  4. Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
  5. Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
  6. Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
  7. Jolyne Cujoh (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
  8. Yusuke Urameshi (YuYu Hakusho)
  9. Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
  10. Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh)
  11. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
  12. Roronoa Zoro (One Piece)
  13. Gon Freecss (Hunter × Hunter)
  14. Killua Zoldyck (Hunter × Hunter)
  15. Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
  16. Hinata Hyuga (Naruto)
  17. Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
  18. Rukia Kukichi (Bleach)
  19. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
  20. Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
  21. Korosensei (Assassination Classroom)
  22. Deku (My Hero Academia)
  23. Tanjiro Kamado (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)
  24. Yuji Itadori (Jujustsu Kaisen)
  25. Denji (Chainsaw Man)
(Bold = new character)
Stages
The stages for this game will also be either brand new or completely reworked from the original. The current stage lineup is:
  1. Kameari Police Station (KochiKame)
  2. Penguin Village (Dr. Slump)
  3. Southern Cross (Fist of the North Star)
  4. Hyperbolic Time Chamber (Dragon Ball)
  5. Kennedy Space Center (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
  6. Shohoku Gymnasium (Slam Dunk)
  7. Dark Tournament Arena (YuYu Hakusho)
  8. Thousand Sunny (One Piece)
  9. Royal Palace of East Gorteau (Hunter × Hunter)
  10. Konoha Village (Naruto)
  11. Hueco Mundo (Bleach)
  12. Class 3-E Building (Assassination Classroom)
  13. Unforeseen Simulation Joint (My Hero Academia)
Mechanics
The Koma system from Jump Ultimate Stars has been streamlined in order to allow players to jump in and play with their friends in local multiplayer.

Support characters:
  1. Tsubasa Ozora (Captain Tsubasa)
  2. Kisugi Sisters (Cat's Eye)
  3. Mr. Satan (Dragon Ball)
  4. Taro Yamada (Chinyuki)
  5. Jonouchi Katsuya (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
  6. Tony Tony Chopper (One Piece)
  7. Light Yagami and Ryuk (Death Note)
  8. Moritaka Mashiro and Akito Takagi (Bakuman)
  9. Soma Yukihira (Food Wars: Shogukeki no Soma)
  10. All Might (My Hero Academia)
  11. Senku Ishigami (Dr. Stone)

Modes
You can’t play without modes. We’ll be introducing more new modes as we get further and further into the game’s development, including both single and multiplayer modes.

Our current mode selection includes:
  1. Vs. Mode
  2. Online Battle
  3. Arcade Mode
  4. Story Mode

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #1: Submit a character from a series that's never been in a Jump Stars game before. Keep in mind that I'm specifically talking about series that have never been in Jump Stars games before, not characters who have never been in Jump crossover games period, since that would narrow down our option way too much. Explain a bit about who the character is, where they come from, and how they would fight

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Oh oops I forgot to mention

Explain a bit about who the character is, where they come from, and how they would fight

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Does very recent series count? Even if they are selling gangbusters right now, is it too soon? If they do count, then Mash Burndead

He's eligible but it would help if you explained a bit about who he is and why you chose him and stuff

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
why must we always submit Jotaro for base roster?
Dai (Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai)
1637148692120.png

Dai is the protagonist of the manga Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, with an Anime so nice they had to make it twice. Dai is the twelve year old hero from Dermline Island. Dai should be considered for his wide range of spells and excellent sword fighting skills. Also, I wouldn't consider Square an issue because they allowed Dai in Jump Force so I don't see their minds changing since then.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So for reference, how much exactly does this cover? Is it series who have just never appeared in the DS games, or can't they have appeared in something like J-Stars or Jump Force either?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
So for reference, how much exactly does this cover? Is it series who have just never appeared in the DS games, or can't they have appeared in something like J-Stars or Jump Force either?
Just series that's never been in the DS games. While it is a reboot, it's still technically a Jump Stars 3 so we're treating characters who have been in those games as veterans and everyone else as newcomers
So for this job, stuff like MHA for example is allowed

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Just series that's never been in the DS games. While it is a reboot, it's still technically a Jump Stars 3 so we're treating characters who have been in those games as veterans and everyone else as newcomers
So for this job, stuff like MHA for example is allowed
Cool, cool.

Aight then, one more question: what about series that were represented in the Jump Stars games but didn't have playable characters? There were plenty of series that were featured in these games but were only represented through stuff like assists, so where do characters from these series fall? This may seem like a stupid question, but I think it'd be helpful to get a ruling on this situation when it comes to characters like Luckyman, Nube and Cobra who were repped in the DS games but weren't playable

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Cool, cool.

Aight then, one more question: what about series that were represented in the Jump Stars games but didn't have playable characters? There were plenty of series that were featured in these games but were only represented through stuff like assists, so where do characters from these series fall? This may seem like a stupid question, but I think it'd be helpful to get a ruling on this situation when it comes to characters like Luckyman, Nube and Cobra who were repped in the DS games but weren't playable
That is a very good question

I admittedly didn't give this part too much thought, but since the theme of this job is "series that have never been in a Jump Stars game before", I'm gonna have to unfortunately say they aren't eligible for this particular job. They absolutely will be later down the line, but for this job it's only series that have never graced this series before in any way, shape, or form.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
That is a very good question

I admittedly didn't give this part too much thought, but since the theme of this job is "series that have never been in a Jump Stars game before", I'm gonna have to unfortunately say they aren't eligible for this particular job. They absolutely will be later down the line, but for this job it's only series that have never graced this series before in any way, shape, or form.
Aight, good to know

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Well, I don't remember if this series was represented in the DS games or even brought up before at all, but since Amaterasu, Sylvanos and Duck Hunt worked in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Rivals of Aether and Smash respectively, why not bring up a much deeper cut?

Job #1: New Series Fighter - Gin (Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin)

ginga-legend-weed-ginga-densetsu-weed-orion-manga-gin-and-tonic-gin-78e04688c7adb40d1de8e991af...png

(not to be confused with Gintoki Sakata)

Gin is the titular protagonist of the Japanese manga Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin (translated as "Silver Fang: The Shooting Star Gin), which was written and illustrated by Yoshihiro Takahashi for Weekly Shonen Jump in 1983, which tells the story of an Akita Inu puppy himself leaving his master, a young boy named Daisuke Fujiwara, to join a pack of wild dogs, which gathers strong dogs from all over Japan to fight a deranged, psychotic bear named Akakabuto (Japanese for "red helmet") and his minions, who apparently murdered Gin's father, Riki.

The manga is a classic, which received the 1987 Shogakukan Manga Award for best shōnen series and was recently licensed in North America in 2020 by Manga Planet. It also got many sequel series such as Weed (that's really a name; an anime looks quite cool), Orion, Last Wars & Noah, a prequel focusing on Riki, a spin-off called The First Wars and even a 21-episode anime adaptation by Toei Animation in 1986, which became extremely popular in Scandinavian countries, including Finland (a series itself was my younger sister's childhood). Characters were also added in a mobile Jump anniversary game called Jumputi Heroes (no console-based fighting game) and even worked as a inspiration for animal battles in Hirohiko Araki's Iggy.

While Gin may seem like your average hunting dog for having his normal attacks being biting, lunging, kicking, etc., he actually has a few techniques of his own, such as a blitzing Shiroi Senkō, Raikaken, afterimage-leaving Zanzō Sanbunshin, quick-hitting Kūchū Sappō and his signature spinning Battōga (with other variants, the most powerful being Zetsu Tenrō Battōga, which Gin used to kill Akakabuto, as his ultimate move), which would make him a rushdown/grappling fighter. While those attacks were originally from other dogs, Gin did learn Battōga (which would take years for wolves to master) by just seeing it in action once, so why it wouldn't make sense that way? He can also call in a herd of fellow dogs to attack opponents for him, since he was destined to be their legendary "Leader of Ohu" in the manga. As Weed's father, he would borrow some of his son's techniques, as well.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Btw, this is my first creation thread, so I'd like to ask

When should I close down submissions?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Btw, this is my first creation thread, so I'd like to ask

When should I close down submissions?
24 hours is usually a good timeframe. However, I usually let it go on a bit longer for stuff like character prompts, since these are more important and tend to require more effort

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Alright, I'll wait a bit over 24 hours and then decide whether or not to close submissions based on how many we get

Also I should mention that despite each person only being able to submit one character, we will be picking two.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya (My Hero Academia)

Is this an obvious pick? Yes, most likely. However, My Hero Academia definitely seems like the biggest series that's been added to Jump's line-up since Jump Ultimate Stars back in 2006, and it feels like one that would be revealed right off the bat along with mainstays like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach.

Born without any superpowers in a world where superpowers are almost the norm, Deku still wanted to pursue his dream to become a superhero like the heroes that he idolized, especially All Might. After witnessing Deku selflessly stepping in to save someone despite not having powers of his own, All Might decided to make Deku his successor, passing on his power One For All.

With this ability, Deku's strength enhances tremendously, as One For All grows in power due to being passed on from one user to the next. However, his body can't handle this massive level of strength, resulting in him having to pace himself and figure out how much of his power to use and when to use it. (Deku also gets a better understanding of One For All as time goes on, allowing him to use the Quirks of its former users. It seems like that would be saved for his higher level versions, though, unless that mechanic is being abandoned completely)

Very timid and reserved, Deku is almost the polar opposite of the likes of Goku, Naruto, Luffy, and Ichigo in many ways. However, he's a dedicated and determined student and hero-in-training, wanting to help as many people as possible no matter what the cost to himself is.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #1: Yuji Itadori (Jujutsu Kaisen)
Yuji_Itadori_(Anime_2).png

Yuji is the main character of what seems to be Jump's new breakout hit series, Jujutsu Kaisen. After his grandfather told him on his deathbed to make sure that he dies surrounded by people by helping, Yuji happens to get involved in a supernatural event involving a curse that attacks his friend, which leads to swallow a finger of the ancient evil curse Ryomen Skuna, allowing Skuna to partially take control of his body.

However, Yuji is able to contain Skuna to an extent, and gets the ability to use Cursed Energy and enrolls in Jujutsu High, vowing to eat all of Skuna's fingers in order to follow his grandfather's instructions to help people by making sure Skuna is contained.

Yuji is both incredibly athletic and has the ability to control cursed energy, which for him translates to basically punching people really hard. However, he can also transform into Skuna on command, which would translate into this game by him being a stance character, as Skuna has a vastly different moveset and fighting styles compared to Yuji.

D

Deleted member

Emma (Promised Neverland)

A young girl in an orphanage who teams up with her fellow orphans to escape after they learn the dark truth of their existence. I think it would would cool to include see some non fighting manga character and to also include some more recent characters. Her moveset would include various traps and references to the series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
He's eligible but it would help if you explained a bit about who he is and why you chose him and stuff
Okay then.

Mash Burndead from Mashle--yep, that's the title (I'm not calling it "Magic & Muscles!!!)--is a simple young man born without any magic which makes him marked for execution in his world. However, he trained his body so hard his whole life that he can do anything magic users can do just by using his physical strength. He makes a deal with one of the enforcers tasked to take him in that if Mash enters the magic academy and achieves the top rank, he will be spared.

The main appeal of this series is the way Mash is able to achieve feats of magic with only his muscles and it's hilarious every time it happens. For example, you know that scene in the first Harry Potter where the students had to pick their brooms up without bending down? Well that scene happens in Mashle but the way Mash handles it is to stomp the ground so hard his broom snaps up to him

He is also able to kick his legs at such velocity that he can fly

I can get some more abilities of his, but I'm working right now. I think you can get the general idea of what he does :yoshi:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aight, I'll throw my own pick in here too. Maybe a bit too surface-level coming from the guy that's very much in favor of getting some deep cuts in this roster and has plenty he'd love to see, but we're just getting started so I figure it's best we establish a strong foundation to build upon - and if that means playing it safe for a bit, then so be it. Hopefully the weirdos will get their chance further down the line.

Job #1: Korosensei from Assassination Classroom
ANSATSU_KYOU****SU_ASSASSINATION_CLASSROOM_KORO_SENSEI_MEGA_RENDER.png

Korosensei is the kinda-sorta main character/central figure/mascot/whatever you wanna call him of Assassination Classroom. This series stands out to me as one of Jump's most notable hits of the 2010s, being very popular both in Japan and the West - I recognized that big ol' smiley face of his before I knew the first thing about it or that it was even a Jump thing! - so I don't think he's too out there of a starter reveal.

He's a bizarre cephalopod-ish lifeform who has claimed responsibility for 70% of the Moon having been blown up, and threatens to do the same thing to the Earth in a year's time. He strikes a deal with the Japanese Defence Force to let him teach Class 3-E of Kunugigaoka Junior High - a class made up of students who haven't kept up their grades or were punished for breaking the rules. The catch? He trains the class to assassinate him.

Korosensei is an extremely agile being, having shown the ability to travel at Mach 20 speeds and easily dodge his foes. His tentacles also provide a wide variety of functions, being able to regenerate, shapeshift and shoot out energy blasts. If all else fails, he can always just flail 'em around.

In terms of past crossover appearances, the big thing that stands out is his appearance as a fighter in J-Stars Victory Vs. Which was then immediately followed by a complete absence from Jump Force, which there's something I need to say right now that'll continue being relevant in the future: kids, if you're going to evaluate Jump series based on crossover appearances, do not count Jump Force in there. Otherwise, he's of course made appearances in mobile games, these big crossover illustrations, etc, etc. Regardless, AssClass didn't even exist when the DS games happened so he's eligible for this job either way.

He's also just a really cool character with a very fun, memorable and standout design. There's another Yuusei Matsui-created character who I'm a bigger fan of (and who I'd love to submit once we get more of the big hitters out of the way), but this dude would be an excellent inclusion IMO

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Characters were also added in a mobile Jump anniversary game
Oh yeah, I should probably mention that if any of y'all are planning on doing research into Jump history for this project, then looking into the series featured in this game is a great start. The game's called Jumputi Heroes - they relatively recently reached the 100-series milestone (though apparently the game counts each JoJo part as its own separate series so technically it's not quite there yet) so there's plenty to dive into there, and the breadth of the covered series is amazing. I don't think you should stop there, as there's still a decent chunk of other notable series worth looking into that haven't been featured on it yet, but I think it's an excellent jumping-off point (heh) if you want to dig deep and learn more about Jump in preparation for this project

Jondolio

Smash Hero
We will now begin voting for our first newcomers for Jump Stars 3. Our choices are:

Zinith Zinith Mash Burndead
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Dai
tonygameman tonygameman Gin
Megadoomer Megadoomer Deku
Jondolio Jondolio Yuji Itadori
@Darkonedagger Emma
Speed Weed Speed Weed Korosensei

Please vote for your top 3 characters in order - your 1 will be worth 3 points, 2 will be worth 2 points, and 3 will be worth 1 point. You can vote for your own submission but only in second or third place. The two characters with the most votes will he added to the roster.

My votes are:
1. Deku
2. Yuji
3. Korosensei

First two are no-brainers, and the third is a fun and somewhat unique addition in terms of both genre and visual design compared to the rest of the characters we currently have on the roster.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Do you think it would be okay if I opened submission for the next job while the first one is still going or should I wait until we stop getting votes for a while?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Do you think it would be okay if I opened submission for the next job while the first one is still going or should I wait until we stop getting votes for a while?
Having submissions going on while the previous job's vote is going is a pretty normal approach in these threads. I myself don't often do it, as I find it a bit stressful to have to split my attention between multiple things, but it really depends on the thread host

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Having submissions going on while the previous job's vote is going is a pretty normal approach in these threads. I myself don't often do it, as I find it a bit stressful to have to split my attention between multiple things, but it really depends on the thread host
I see. Well, for the particular job I have in mind I think it's pretty reasonable to have two going on at the same time, so I'll do it. I don't think it's gonna be a constant, however.

Job #2: Submit a veteran character from a currently non-represented series. Basically, you can submit any veteran character as long as they’re not from Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach. And do keep in mind that we’re talking about characters who were playable in a previous Jump Stars game. Also, if the characters have gained new abilities since Jump Ultimate Stars, make sure to mention it. You have a lot of options:

Train Heartnet/Eve (Black Cat)
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo/Don Patch (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)
Kazuki Muto (Buso Renkin)
Allen Walker/Lenalee Lee (D. Gray Man)
Arale Norimaki/Dr. Mashirito (Dr. Slump)
Kenshiro/Raoh (Fist of the North Star)
Gintoki Sakata/Kagura (Gintama)
Taikoubou (Hoshin Engi)
Gon Freecss/Killua Zoldyck (Hunter x Hunter)
Jotaro Kujo/DIO (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
Tsuna Sawada (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
Kinnikuman (Kinnikuman)
Kankichi Ryotsu (Kochikame)
Neuro Nogami (Neuro: Supernatural Detective)
Toru Muhyo (Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation)
Fuusuke (Ninku)
Jaguar Junichi (Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar)
Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
Momotaro Tsurugi/Heihachi Edajima (Charge!! Men's School)
Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh)
Yusuke Urameshi/Kurama/Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)

You may notice the omission of Yoh Asakura and Anna Kyoyama from Shaman King. That is because their publication rights have since been acquired by Kodansha, a rival publisher to Shueisha, meaning getting the rights to them would be much more difficult than any other character, and yes I double checked to make sure no other character has this issue. Sorry, Shaman King fans.

Jon 3#: Submit a Roster Number between 30 and 50. Jump Ultimate Stars had 56 characters, but we will not be bringing all of them back and will be going for quality over quantity. As such, I would like you to suggest a smaller number of characters for the base game. Do note that half of the characters included in the base game will be returning characters from JUS and the other half will be brand new.

You can still vote for Job #1 btw

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #3

Maybe veering a bit too close to the limit, but 48 seems like a good number. Not too much of a downgrade from JUS' roster number, big enough to accomodate Jump's wide library of characters yet small enough for us to still really have to think about who to add, and if we're going with the even split approach, then there's a good amount of characters on both sides.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)

Cue the music!

This was a really tough category to pick one character for, to be honest. I debated between nominating a few characters - Ryotsu, Arale, Jotaro, Kenshiro...

I figured that Jump Force had a heavier focus on serious series (I think all of the purely comedic series that were in J-Stars Victory Versus, like Kochikame, Gintama, Dr. Slump, or Bo-bobo were cut from Jump Force), so it couldn't hurt to get a goofier series in here to show that the game won't take itself as seriously. While I do feel like Ryotsu or Arale make a lot of sense, I haven't gotten a chance to read those series, so I'm sticking with the one that I actually know about.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (I swear, this is the last time that I'm writing out the full name in this post) is a series set in a post-apocalyptic world of 300X, starting out as a parody of Fist of the North Star before wildly going off of the rails. The Bald Empire has sent out Hair Hunters to shave everyone until they're bald, and it's up to Bo-bobo to defend the hair of those around him using his martial art, the Fist of the Nose Hair.

...at least, that's what the series is about in theory - it's usually just an excuse to get as insane and nonsensical as possible, parodying concepts like transformations, fusions, morals of a story, and other Jump series, and that's just for starters.

Bo-bobo fights with his whip-like nose hairs most of the time, but the series' heavy emphasis on comedy over everything else means that he can do pretty much anything that's needed. Wear tissue boxes on his shoes to go faster? Sure. Have one of his throws (if the game has throws) be a weak armpit chop that somehow makes people explode? Yeah, go for it. Summon Yugi Moto from his afro to attack people with a poorly-drawn Egyptian God Card? It happened. Covering people with seasoning salt, turning into a train, slam-dunking the sun onto people...

I could go on and on and on. I figure Bo-bobo should be in the game at some point (honestly, a lot of these characters should), and now seems like as good of a time as any to nominate him.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
61088082372268001a59535a.jpeg

I am once again going to submit Ryotsu for one of these threads - I did kinda want to submit someone like Gintoki, but Ryotsu feels like a more important inclusion IMO and I already have a basis for a writeup so
Job #2: Kankichi Ryotsu from Kochikame
View attachment 337384

Kochira Katsuhika-ku Kameari Koen Mae Hashutsujo - better known as just Kochikame - is a Weekly Shonen Jump comedy manga that began in 1976.

The series follows the misadventures of one Kankichi Ryotsu - a middle-aged cop who works at a neighborhood police station in downtown Tokyo. The typical plot in the series revolves around Ryotsu coming up with some get-rich-quick scheme based on the latest fad or a new gadget of his and achieving great success, only for it to always come crashing down on him at the end. Believe it or not, Kochikame is actually a very very important series to Jump history - it's immensely popular in Japan, to the point that real-life Japanese celebrities often made appearances in it. Although most of the characters never aged, the series always evolved with the times, often centering chapters around - and subtly mocking - recent trends or events in Japan. Interestingly enough, the chapters actually weren't numbered - each one was its own completely self-contained little story, which meant it was a lot more accessible than most other Jump series which you oftentimes have to, like, actually catch up to. This also allowed it to go for a really long time - it ran for 40 whole goddamn years, clocking in at 1,960 chapters and 200 volumes, until it finally ended in 2016. This makes it not just the longest-running series in Jump history, but one of the longest-running manga of all time. In fact, it's also the seventh highest-selling manga of all time, beating out such series as Demon Slayer, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Crayon Shin-chan, Attack on Titan and goddamn Astro Boy. It's gotten such things as an anime, three animated films, a live-action series, two live-action movies and several stage adaptations.

So Kochikame is generally just a very revered series within Jump's library of franchises. They went all out when it reached its 30th anniversary, with several special events being held, and it's a near-constant presence in Jump crossover games. In fact, the only notable large-scale Jump crossover game (so not counting stuff like Battle Stadium DON that's only supposed to cross over a select few properties) that Ryotsu has missed out on.....is Jump Force. J-Stars? He's there! The previous Jump Stars games? He's there! The two Jump crossover RPGs on the Famicom? He's there! The mobile games like Jumputi Heroes and Jikkyou Janjan Stadium? He's there! The obscure Game Boy quiz game Cult Jump? You bet your sweet bippy he's there.

There's also the fact that, in my opinion, one of Jump Force's biggest ****ups roster-wise was the near-complete lack of characters from non-action series, so I figure it'd be a good move to reveal one of them right off the bat - and Ryotsu is probably the biggest non-action character they could add.

So when looking at all this, I think I've made a good case for Ryotsu. Despite the regional barrier oftentimes preventing him from getting acknowledgement, he's a surprisingly iconic and important character to Jump history, and it definitely kinda weirds me out seeing the amount of rosters that omit him. He'd also just be a generally fun character that helps diversify our genre representation a bit more, but above all else, I feel he's genuinely too important to exclude.

I'll admit also part of it is nostalgia cause the anime used to air where I live but LETS NOT WORRY ABOUT THAT-

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #2: Gon Freecss
1637259561926.png

Gon is the protagonist of Hunter x Hunter, one of Shonen Jump's darkest series and in this day and age one of its most popular thanks to the stellar 2011 anime adaptation. Gon is a 12 year old boy who strives to become a Hunter in order to find his father, another famous Hunter, and along the way meets many friends and foes, some of which eventually push him to his breaking point.

Since JUS, the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter has concluded, which ended with
Gon using up all of his Nen to brutally kill Neferpitou
which could be implemented into (one of?) his moveset(s) in a unique way.

Gon is an extremely popular character due to being a unique twist on the Shonen protagonist trope and is a staple of Jump crossover fighters, not missing out on a single one since Jump Super Stars. With HxH's mainstream popularity it would make a ton of sense for him to be part of the reveal lineup.

Job #3
As always, I think we should go for the highest possible number with 50. It's not too unrealistic and would give us the freedom to choose a lot of new characters while also bringing back as many characters from JUS without going overboard.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #2: Jotaro Kujo
1637270424347.png
Jotaro Kujo is the protagonist of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders and is the most reoccurring JoJo in the series (being the protagonist in 3, a main character in 4 and 6, and being seen in 5). Jotaro was a Japanese Delinquent with a heart of gold who became a Marine Biologist. His part was also the introduction of Stands which is important because Stands were such a unique idea and is a big part of what makes JoJo's what it is (that, and it's weird poses).

JoJo's is such a popular series it constantly gets it's own games (including but not limited to; multiple other fighting games, an RPG on the Super Famicon, a Battle Royale game exclusive to arcades in Japan) and spin-offs (like a manga based on Kira after he died, Rohan and Jolyne going to Gucci, and an entire novel about Fugo). Obviously we need JJBA in the game, and Jotaro Kujo is an extremely important and popular JoJo. Plus, Jotaro kind of reached "he's going to be in the game" tier, even if the game roster decides to get weird he was still reveal trailer'd in Shonen Jump vs Capcom, so I think it's good to get him out of the way.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #3: Yusuke Urameshi

F4B415DB-6540-4DC5-8BDA-344884869D68.png

Yusuke is the main protagonist of Yu Yu Hakusho, Yoshihiro Togashi’s big popular battle shonen prior to Hunter x Hunter. Starting off, Yusuke presents himself as no more than a short-tempered delinquent, when in reality he’s a kind-hearted person who’s struggled with being neglected his whole life. After sacrificing his life to protect a kid from an oncoming car, he’s given another chance at life by the underworld and gains supernatural powers. With these newfound abilities, Yusuke becomes a Spirit Detective and helps protect the world from demonic threats, slowly revealing more of his caring nature as the series progresses.

Outside the realm of your big recent ongoing hits, Yu Yu Hakusho is one of Shonen Jump’s quintessential legacy series’ and is regarded by many as among their greatest. The manga sold over 50 million copies, which might not seem all that impressive at first glance until you realize that its average sales per volume of 2.63 million beats out the likes of My Hero Academia and Gintama. For a 30 year old series with only 19 volumes, that’s pretty ****ing impressive. During its prime, it also also got a fantastic 112 episode anime adaptation, two movies, an OVA series, and multiple video games. And even after the series ended, it keeps getting a **** ton of love. Yusuke and friends still show up in crossover games, the series recently got an OVA in 2018, and it’s even getting the live-action Netflix treatment coming up. Needless to say, Yu Yu Hakusho is one of Shonen Jump’s big-hitters and is a no-brainer for this roster.

As far as Yusuke’s abilities are concerned, he’s already a natural brawler even ignoring his Spirit Detective powers. He would mostly fight with his fists, with his specials focusing on his spirit abilities. One of which, of course, would be his iconic Spirit Gun as a projectile move.

Top Bottom