• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards creates: Coolmath Clash!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

(The titular website is linked in the above image for ease of access - we'll be using it a lot!)

Coolmath Games, a website launched in 1997 to gather nonviolent and educational browser games for kids, is basically a library of HTML and Flash games from across the internet. Many teens and young adults have thanked Coolmath for being their escape during the more difficult episodes of their education. Schools block almost all browser game websites, but Coolmath - having an educational term right in the name - gets to bypass the filters, allowing anyone who needs to destress the safe haven they've deserved.

While Coolmath does not develop that many games on their own, this is the site where many people have been introduced to characters from plenty of indie devs. Characters like Papa Louie, Duck, Fireboy & Watergirl, IQ ball, Bob The Robber, The Runner, and others. These characters are often used to promote the site on Coolmath's social media accounts, so why not have the iconic mascots battle it out in the rapidly rising genre of the platform fighter? In terms of negotiations, yeah this game would be a mess in real life. But that's the beauty of a creation thread!

Any piece of content from something that is present on the site is eligible. (including Flash games that are no longer playable.)

There will probably be a schedule for this game at some point - I know I can't do daily - however since I'm basically done with the setup, I'd like to get it out the door just to see how it goes for a while!

tbd
tbd
tbd
tbd

Job 1: Submit the first challenger
Other threads might have a couple starting characters, but there isn't really one or two true mascots for Coolmath - there are a ton of possible options here. Most of the frontrunners have pretty comparable levels of popularity. We could even go with a weirder, deeper pick here if we so desire!

Job 2: Submit a roster number

Papa Louie
1669135272685.png
Papa Louie is a main protagonist and mascot of "Papa's" games. Papa Louie is a chef that runs many restaurants like Pizzeria, Spaghetteria and many of them.
Papa Louie is also a mascot of Flipline Studios and he is one of recognizable characters from "Coolmath games" games that deserve to be in Coolmath clash.

Papa Louie would have moveset based on cooking food like in his games, where uses knife to cut up the opponents or fries them on cooking pan.
His playstyle would be similar to shoto (where he could have a projectile and an uppercut-like move) and villager's playstyle where he uses unconventional things to attack oppponents.
He would be middleweight character with no additional movement options.

It seems that Papa Louie would be very obvious choice for coolmath games platform fighter, since he has a lot of games on this website ranging from Papa's pizzeria to Papa Louie: when burgers attack. Also Papa Louie would fit as first character in this roster.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Duck

One of my old favorites. Duck Life is a game where you can raise Ducks to participate in a variety of different races. I think the Duck could be a fun choice for a “basic” character, not having too many special mechanics. If you really wanted to have a full mechanic added to it though, you could probably include some sort of level up system to buff the Duck’s stats over the course of a stock.

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 1: Dart Monkey (Bloons)

To be fair, there aren't many Bloons games on CoolMath - The original TD trilogy and Bloons Pop 3 are all that it has. However, I think that's enough to count.

Anyway, I think the Dart Monkey would use a bunch of tools from other towers in the Bloons TD games, kind of like a MUCH less janky Mega Man. An upgrading system would be optional.

my mans was cheated out of all-star strife so i will submit him as many times as i have to

Job 2: 24 slots
Pretty solid number - Only two short of Melee's roster.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job 1: Submit the first challenger
Other threads might have a couple starting characters, but there isn't really one or two true mascots for Coolmath - there are a ton of possible options here. Most of the frontrunners have pretty comparable levels of popularity. We could even go with a weirder, deeper pick here if we so desire!

Job 2: Submit a roster number
Job #01
Character Name: Runner
Character Origin: Run (2008)

If there's one experience that nearly every user of CoolMathGames can say they've shared, it's that of playing at least one of the Run games. The first game was revolutionary for its time, an early powerhouse of Flash-based 3D gameplay with a really fun and unique concept - so fun and unique that it was extended all the way out into a trilogy (with Run 3, to this very day, being the most-played game on the entire site.) If there's any character that makes a lot of logical sense to include in a CoolMathGames roster, if there's anyone who can be considered an icon of the site... well, as you mentioned, there's a few - but I guess the Runner would come pretty damn close.

In terms of their moveset - there's actually more potential than you might think! Whilst Runner typically only runs forward and jumps, it'd be a great idea to tap into the various different playable characters for inspiration! Runner, typically, would be a lightweight and fairly middle-of-the-road character, with attacks inspired by alternate characters like the Skater, the Child, the Angel, the Duplicator, the Lizard, and so on... plus, if you wanted to, there'd be a really fun and unique stage that could come out of one of the gravity-shifting space tubes. I can imagine Runner feeling really fun.

Job #02
18 total characters. It's nowhere near as many, but I'm pretty sure that it'd give space for both obvious and more obscure picks - whilst also leaving options open to represent... weirder picks through assists of some kind. I mean, thinking about icons like World's Hardest Game, representing some games through stages or assists would be way better suited than through playable representation.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
An interesting concept....I know you mentioned this before in your profile posts. I will contribute to this, of course as I love musing platfighter/fighting game crossovers.

Job 1

The Soccer Player (Penalty Kick Online)

hqdefault.jpg

This game reminds me of other simple soccer flash/video games. Basically, in the game, you play as the soccer player and have a soccer bsed moveset. He can be a stance fighter with an "offense" mode and a goalie "defense" mode gimmick. Lots of fun potential here.

Job 2

26 fighters

Same amount of fighters as Melee's roster. It makes for a good amount to represent the Coolmath Games catalog. We can also represent other games via assists, stages, etc. Plus, we can have room for DLC fighters as well, maybe guest characters from other edutainment websites.

Baysha

Smash Ace
I didn't really go on Cool Math Games specifically but I did grow up playing flash games a lot, So I'm still pretty interested in this thread.

Job 1:
pQLD74F3QAI2N.jpg

Awesome Tank

I think a literal tank would be really fun in the context of a platform fighter. Plus, as the title screen helpfully points out, there are upgrades that we can put in its moveset.

Job 2:
Also I think we should go for 31 fighters as a reference to pi. It's the closest I can get to a math-related number while still being reasonable.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Ok, Its Been a long time since this thread has been updated, so is this project discontinued or what?

Top Bottom