• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Cartoon Network: Fusion Arena

Roster Size

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 9 52.9%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Cartoon-Network-1000x563.jpg

Cartoon Network is a channel with a lot of beloved ips. In 2011 they released the crossover fighting game Punch Time Explosion. It wasn't great. But it had a lot of promise. This year will see the release of Multiversus. Which I'm exited for but doesn't seem to be focusing on the CN side much.

We'll be doing a new CN game. We'll be focusing on the mainline shows but there may be room for some HB characters or such later.

Characters
Blossom
Bubbles
Buttercup
Mojo Jojo
Dexter
Johnny Bravo
Cow and Chicken
Courage
Samurai Jack
Aku
Grim
Wilt
Ben 10
Finn & Jake
Marcaline
Steven Universe
Garnet
Nicole Waterson

Stages
Checkerboard Chaos (Cartoon Network)
Dexter's Lab
Townsvile (Dexter's Laboratory)
Beach Babe Bonanza (Johnny Bravo)
Middle of Noware (Courage the Cowardly Dog)
The Rave (Samurai Jack)
Egyptian Basement (Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy)
Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends
Null Void (Ben 10)
Tree House (Adventure Time)
School Cafeteria (Amazing World of Gumball)
Crystal Temple (Steven Universe)
Camp Kidney (Camp Lazlo)

Items
Pork Butt and Taters Catapult (Cow and Chicken)
Plank (Ed, Edd n Eddy)
Beauteous Wings (Adventure Time)
Teri (Gumball)
Cookie Cat (Steven Universe)
POW Cards (OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes)

Dee Dee (Dexter's Laboratory)
Carl (Johnny Bravo)
Scaramouche (Samurai Jack)
Rook (Ben 10)
BMO (Adventure Time)
Lapis Lazuli (Steven Universe)
Drew Saturday (Secret Saturdays)

Gameplay
  • Movesets are like Smash. Four specials and an ultimate attack.
  • Players pick three characters and swap between them

Modes
Arcade Mode
All Star
Other Game Details
Announcer is T.O.M.
Final Boss is Lord Fuse
Noods are the main collectible

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

First jobs

Submit the gameplay
How should it play?

Submit a Roster size
How big should our roster be?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Gameplay: Super Smash Flash 1's control scheme. Because it would be funny. (up attack, down air, down tilt, neutral attack, and side smashes)

Indifferent to roster size.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Refine the old PTE play style. IIRC, it was fairly similar to Smash, but with Final Smash meter before Final Smash meter was in Smash.

56 is my default answer for a roster.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #1: I'm going to do the classic move of just submitting "Smash Bros" as the playstyle. I think it works well enough (and someone's gotta do it.)

Job #2: I think 36 is a good shout here. It'd give us space to include some of the obvious picks, whilst also being able to toss in a couple of weirdos. (Of course, this is only the base roster - it doesn't include DLC.) I feel like it's also not too big, though.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Gameplay: I personally second the option of refining the already existing gameplay formula. It’s been a hot minute since I watched anything related to the game, but I remember that a lot of the problems stem from jank and movesets not being all that cohesive. Keep the gameplay similar to Smash, but polish it up so that it’s actually, you know, fun to play lol. Also maybe add some other additional mechanic to help it stand out from Smash

Roster Size: I’m gonna go with 40. Last game had 26 characters, and I think a jump to 14 additional characters seems reasonable enough while giving us enough room to add plenty of fresh faces. Plus I don’t know if we’ll be bringing everyone back from the first game, so we’ll still have some wiggle room for more newcomers.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 1:

Gameplay: I feel we should have Smash's moveset but add competitively viable supers and character based gimmicks for each character. It's best to distinguish each platform fighter in terms of gameplay mechanics to keep things unique.

Job 2:

Roster Size: I'm gonna go with what OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos said, 40 is a reasonable amount. Plus, if we want DLC, it leaves room. Just enough to get core CN content down in this game.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #1: Super Smash Bros Ultimate, but with the return of synergy attacks (when a fighter teamed up with a character from a different show to launch a powerful attack), but keep it not as strong as final smashes.

Job #2: 52, I think this would be big enough, but not too crazy. Plus it could be a reference for when some animated series got 26 episodes each season.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 1
Have each character have three varients with different strengths and weaknesses like in Mortal Kombat X

Job 2
46, I just like that number

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #1: From Smash Bros we take the four specials, Final Smash and assist trophies, but we'll have an emphasis on the 'Network' side of Cartoon Network, where each player selects upto three fighters and can swap between them freely.

Job #2: 45
Plenty of Cartoon Network stars and I dare say a few series will warrant multiple characters. 45 seems like a decent number without being too bloated, meaning we'll have to be slightly more selective about our picks than having every main character from each of the major series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Roster: 50
I think we can cover the CN history with around 45 characters but I want to have some room for franchises that can use multiple characters, as well as some unconventional choices.

D

Deleted member

I've put a poll up for our roster size.

Gameplay: Super Smash Flash 1's control scheme. Because it would be funny. (up attack, down air, down tilt, neutral attack, and side smashes)

Indifferent to roster size.
Refine the old PTE play style. IIRC, it was fairly similar to Smash, but with Final Smash meter before Final Smash meter was in Smash.

56 is my default answer for a roster.
Job #1: I'm going to do the classic move of just submitting "Smash Bros" as the playstyle. I think it works well enough (and someone's gotta do it.)

Job #2: I think 36 is a good shout here. It'd give us space to include some of the obvious picks, whilst also being able to toss in a couple of weirdos. (Of course, this is only the base roster - it doesn't include DLC.) I feel like it's also not too big, though.
Gameplay: I personally second the option of refining the already existing gameplay formula. It’s been a hot minute since I watched anything related to the game, but I remember that a lot of the problems stem from jank and movesets not being all that cohesive. Keep the gameplay similar to Smash, but polish it up so that it’s actually, you know, fun to play lol. Also maybe add some other additional mechanic to help it stand out from Smash

Roster Size: I’m gonna go with 40. Last game had 26 characters, and I think a jump to 14 additional characters seems reasonable enough while giving us enough room to add plenty of fresh faces. Plus I don’t know if we’ll be bringing everyone back from the first game, so we’ll still have some wiggle room for more newcomers.
Job 1:

Gameplay: I feel we should have Smash's moveset but add competitively viable supers and character based gimmicks for each character. It's best to distinguish each platform fighter in terms of gameplay mechanics to keep things unique.

Job 2:

Roster Size: I'm gonna go with what OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos said, 40 is a reasonable amount. Plus, if we want DLC, it leaves room. Just enough to get core CN content down in this game.
Job #1: Super Smash Bros Ultimate, but with the return of synergy attacks (when a fighter teamed up with a character from a different show to launch a powerful attack), but keep it not as strong as final smashes.

Job #2: 52, I think this would be big enough, but not too crazy. Plus it could be a reference for when some animated series got 26 episodes each season.
Job 1
Have each character have three varients with different strengths and weaknesses like in Mortal Kombat X

Job 2
46, I just like that number
Job #1: From Smash Bros we take the four specials, Final Smash and assist trophies, but we'll have an emphasis on the 'Network' side of Cartoon Network, where each player selects upto three fighters and can swap between them freely.

Job #2: 45
Plenty of Cartoon Network stars and I dare say a few series will warrant multiple characters. 45 seems like a decent number without being too bloated, meaning we'll have to be slightly more selective about our picks than having every main character from each of the major series.
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds I'm not going with the "keep it like Multiversus" option because 1. Multiversus isn't out yet and 2. Some of our characters will show up there, making moveset creation less fun. I hope you understand

Vote for your favorite gameplay proposal

1aafdc58881cdb429bd829cb0c9fe5e0--childhood-characters-my-childhood.jpg

Submit a character
It's what you've been waiting for. Submit a character. Dispite the HB and Looney Tunes characters on that image I'm gonna ask you to keep it to CN originals for now. Can be from any decade. If we get enough submissions the top two will get in.

All_3_eds.png

Ed, Edd n Eddy
Arguably the biggest missed omission from the original game. They'd fight as one, using references to their wacky schemes. They could swap out but I think it would be neat if they battled as one.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Craig Williams (Craig of the Creek)

1650454188946.png

Craig is the main character of one of Cartoon Network's newest big hits. Considering how popular his show is, to the point it's confirmed to get a movie, it's safe to say he'd be a fitting addition. While he doesn't actually have any superpowers, I imagine he'd play as a make-believe magician that fights with his staff.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mung Daal

Chowder may be the star of the show and a PTE veteran, but ask almost anybody and Mung Daal will be the most memorable part. As a master chef, he'd stir; bake; cut; and squat his way to victory! I have an idea for a gimmick Mung could use (albeit one that would also disconfirm Chowder) which I am really excited to try in a creation thread at some point.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Steven Universe

C8989C12-D273-4AF2-9758-9D2EDA289B8C.png

Yeah there’s no way in hell we’re getting out of this without representing the gay rock show. When one thinks of shows that are emblematic of CN’s modern renaissance, Steven Universe is usually one of the first to come to mind. The series was insanely popular during its nearly 7 year run, spawning an incredibly dedicated fanbase (for better and for worse), a **** ton of merch, and a TV movie. While the other gems are arguably more adept at fighting than Steven is, the fact that he’s in Multiversus shows that you can make him work in a fighting game. Plus, depending on how much room we have, we could def add another gem somewhere down the line. Steven’s gem weapon is a shield, which he would utilize heavily in his moveset.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Character Name: Samurai Jack
Character Origin: Samurai Jack (2001)

ddvj5o7-ed00f1ae-8ce2-41c7-a9e1-da02e611a48e.png

I think that Jack is an interesting choice to see here. He's unusual in that he reflects both sides of CN's broadcasts - in more recent years, his show was revived for a 5th season on the [adult swim] block, but I'm going to focus on his first four seasons that actually took place on CN proper. Notably - Jack was also in Punch Time Explosion - but we could reinvent him a little here if we wanted to.

Overall, whilst simple in concept - he's essentially a samurai who fights with a sword - I think having characters that are easy to pick up but have a high skill ceiling would be great to see. Think of him as a little like Marth - there's a massive amount of stuff you could do with him, but anyone could pick him up and have a good time. However, we'd focus on his nature as a samurai - giving him a lot of semi-anime-esque vibes in how he'd fight (for example, taking inspiration from characters like Goemon Ishikawa XIII from Lupin III.)

However, as opposed to him purely using his sword, we could also use other aspects - such as his bow and arrow, a battle hammer, and such. We could even include a version of his Zen Meter from his second video game, The Shadow of Aku, which would allow him to perhaps perform parries and such in the form of his Sakai Mode.

Overall, I think that both archetypically and in terms of the niche but loving fanbase he's managed to attain, Jack feels like a genuinely solid pick that'd be really fun to see both for people who are familiar with him, and for those who might not be - after all, everyone agrees that samurai are cool, right??

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
In terms of roster, I feel anything higher than 40 is only really justifiable if we dig into Looney Tunes; Hanna-Barbera; and (to a lesser extent) MGM a bit more.

None of them are a realistic number so that's kinda irrelevant.

D

Deleted member

In terms of roster, I feel anything higher than 40 is only really justifiable if we dig into Looney Tunes; Hanna-Barbera; and (to a lesser extent) MGM a bit more.

None of them are a realistic number so that's kinda irrelevant.
I'm thinking for base we wont really (maybe one or two) but should we reach DLC I will do a couple of jobs like that.

Adult Swim characters also prolly won't be in base, though I could make an exception for the likes of Ashi when we do a 2nd rep job.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm also just gonna submit Samurai Jack as my character vote.

For character roster: 36. I don't want a bloated roster. And 36 is more than enough room for every classic Cartoon Network franchises to have their front runners and secondaries or villains.

D

Deleted member

I'm also just gonna submit Samurai Jack as my character vote.

For character roster: 36. I don't want a bloated roster. And 36 is more than enough room for every classic Cartoon Network franchises to have their front runners and secondaries or villains.
If someone else has submitted a character you don't need to submit them again. Technically there's no rule against it but you're welcome to submit someone else.

Also the roster number submissions are done. There's a poll for them above.

I'm gonna be bias for this time....
Mordecai and Rigby

Mordecai and Rigby are main characters of Regular Show series, which it debuted in 2010's.
They are groundskeepers who work in park and they like to go on surreal adventures.
Regular Show is one of very popular 2010's CN shows and it deserves to be ripped as Fighter in PTE sequel.

They would have moveset potential, since they could be Stance Fighters (Like Pyra/Mythra) and they would use golf cart or punchie as special move for example.
Mordecai would be slower, but stronger and Rigby would be faster, but weaker and one of supers would reference something Surreal (maybe an eldritch like entity that would help them finish opponents).

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Wilt (Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends)
7A9CE8FA-F0B8-420A-A603-5CC0F2CED8DC.png

Wilt is a main character and friend to Mac & Bloo in Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. Wilt is nice, friendly, kind-hearted, helpful, and willing to do almost anything to help his friends (just as long as it’s nothing bad or against the rules). He is also a huge fan of basketball, always up for a game and does his best to watch the big game on TV. Wilt was created by a kid named Jordan Michaels who wished to become good at basketball. Wilt helped Jordan and the duo became undefeated at their local basketball court for about a year. After one bad defeat that left Wilt disfigured and Jordan saddened, he ran away and ended up at Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. There he would lend a helping hand to everyone in need. Wilt’s moveset could be based around basketball and his passion for helping others.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Gumball Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)

Gumball is the main character from The Amazing World of Gumball, he is son of Nicole Watterson and Richard Watterson and he have one sister called Anais and a half-brother called Darwin. Gumball's moveset would be based on Gumball vs Darwin fight on episode called The Words

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
With the Eds already (rightfully) suggested, I'm going to submit one of the other older Cartoon Cartoons that I was a big fan of back in the day:

cow-chicken.jpg

Cow and Chicken (from err...Cow and Chicken)

This brother and sister team would work as a pair (much to Chicken's dismay).

Cow boasts surprisingly super human strength which is only amplified when she transforms into her alter ego, the spanish spouting 'SuperCow', being able to fly, hit villains out of the park and shoot milk blasts from her udders. She's likely to grab Chicken by the neck and drag him around with her. She's a nice girl who doesn't know her own strength for the most part.

Chicken on the other hand...is mostly all talk honestly, being an egocentric, physically weak and selfish 'big' brother to Cow who belittles her most of the time.
That said he's also considerably smarter than her, and despite his jerkass ways often has a good conscience that forces him to do the right thing when push comes to shove in the end even if he does go about it in far more sneaky ways. Expect him to use more underhanded tactics than his straight shooting sister.

D

Deleted member

We'll be having 40 characters! YoshiandToad's gameplay wins. Meaning we'll have the gimmick of character swapping between three characters

View attachment 350785
Ed, Edd n Eddy
Arguably the biggest missed omission from the original game. They'd fight as one, using references to their wacky schemes. They could swap out but I think it would be neat if they battled as one.
Craig Williams (Craig of the Creek)

View attachment 350786

Craig is the main character of one of Cartoon Network's newest big hits. Considering how popular his show is, to the point it's confirmed to get a movie, it's safe to say he'd be a fitting addition. While he doesn't actually have any superpowers, I imagine he'd play as a make-believe magician that fights with his staff.
Ben Tennyson (Ben 10)

View attachment 350787

A no-brainer pick. He was in the original Punch Time Explosion and should return given how big his IP is. He has tons of moveset potential with all the aliens and I'd prefer if we stick with the original Ben 10 incarnation for nostalgic reasons. He would be like Pokémon Trainer in a way.
Mung Daal

Chowder may be the star of the show and a PTE veteran, but ask almost anybody and Mung Daal will be the most memorable part. As a master chef, he'd stir; bake; cut; and squat his way to victory! I have an idea for a gimmick Mung could use (albeit one that would also disconfirm Chowder) which I am really excited to try in a creation thread at some point.
Steven Universe

View attachment 350792

Yeah there’s no way in hell we’re getting out of this without representing the gay rock show. When one thinks of shows that are emblematic of CN’s modern renaissance, Steven Universe is usually one of the first to come to mind. The series was insanely popular during its nearly 7 year run, spawning an incredibly dedicated fanbase (for better and for worse), a **** ton of merch, and a TV movie. While the other gems are arguably more adept at fighting than Steven is, the fact that he’s in Multiversus shows that you can make him work in a fighting game. Plus, depending on how much room we have, we could def add another gem somewhere down the line. Steven’s gem weapon is a shield, which he would utilize heavily in his moveset.
Character Name: Samurai Jack
Character Origin: Samurai Jack (2001)

View attachment 350793

I think that Jack is an interesting choice to see here. He's unusual in that he reflects both sides of CN's broadcasts - in more recent years, his show was revived for a 5th season on the [adult swim] block, but I'm going to focus on his first four seasons that actually took place on CN proper. Notably - Jack was also in Punch Time Explosion - but we could reinvent him a little here if we wanted to.

Overall, whilst simple in concept - he's essentially a samurai who fights with a sword - I think having characters that are easy to pick up but have a high skill ceiling would be great to see. Think of him as a little like Marth - there's a massive amount of stuff you could do with him, but anyone could pick him up and have a good time. However, we'd focus on his nature as a samurai - giving him a lot of semi-anime-esque vibes in how he'd fight (for example, taking inspiration from characters like Goemon Ishikawa XIII from Lupin III.)

However, as opposed to him purely using his sword, we could also use other aspects - such as his bow and arrow, a battle hammer, and such. We could even include a version of his Zen Meter from his second video game, The Shadow of Aku, which would allow him to perhaps perform parries and such in the form of his Sakai Mode.

Overall, I think that both archetypically and in terms of the niche but loving fanbase he's managed to attain, Jack feels like a genuinely solid pick that'd be really fun to see both for people who are familiar with him, and for those who might not be - after all, everyone agrees that samurai are cool, right??
I'm just gonna submit Courage The Cowardly Dog as my character vote.
I'm gonna be bias for this time....
Mordecai and Rigby

Mordecai and Rigby are main characters of Regular Show series, which it debuted in 2010's.
They are groundskeepers who work in park and they like to go on surreal adventures.
Regular Show is one of very popular 2010's CN shows and it deserves to be ripped as Fighter in PTE sequel.

They would have moveset potential, since they could be Stance Fighters (Like Pyra/Mythra) and they would use golf cart or punchie as special move for example.
Mordecai would be slower, but stronger and Rigby would be faster, but weaker and one of supers would reference something Surreal (maybe an eldritch like entity that would help them finish opponents).
Wilt (Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends)
View attachment 350809
Wilt is a main character and friend to Mac & Bloo in Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. Wilt is nice, friendly, kind-hearted, helpful, and willing to do almost anything to help his friends (just as long as it’s nothing bad or against the rules). He is also a huge fan of basketball, always up for a game and does his best to watch the big game on TV. Wilt was created by a kid named Jordan Michaels who wished to become good at basketball. Wilt helped Jordan and the duo became undefeated at their local basketball court for about a year. After one bad defeat that left Wilt disfigured and Jordan saddened, he ran away and ended up at Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. There he would lend a helping hand to everyone in need. Wilt’s moveset could be based around basketball and his passion for helping others.
Finn and Jake

This Dynamic Duo are the protagonists of Adventure Time, one of Cartoon Networks most popular cartoons
View attachment 350816
Gumball and Darwin
One of the most popular charatcers of the last decade, you cant have Gumball without Darwin so they will be a duo fighter switching between the two for attacks
Gumball Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)

Gumball is the main character from The Amazing World of Gumball, he is son of Nicole Watterson and Richard Watterson and he have one sister called Anais and a half-brother called Darwin. Gumball's moveset would be based on Gumball vs Darwin fight on episode called The Words
In text form

Thank you all for the amazing submissions!
Vote for your top four ! Your own can't be first

1. Samurai Jack
2. Finn & Jake
3. Courage
4. Ed, Edd n Eddy

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Heya @Darkonedagger was my Cow and Chicken submission ineligible? Just noticed it wasn't on the list!

1. Ed, Edd N Eddy (although admittedly I wouldn't be against all three being solo characters now we have the triple character select)
2. Gumball (I feel he has enough to be solo at this point)
3. Samurai Jack (Solid pick, rightly deserves inclusion)

Top Bottom