• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Could you please go into detail on how the fight plays out? Thanks
My bad, probably should have waited for some examples or looked at past submissions, dont have time right now but will edit post later.

EDIT: the fight will have 3 phases. It takes place at the same location as the final boss fight of Kimami 2. Each phase will be based on the 3X Kiryu fights Ryugi & the music will change to match each time. 1st lifebar his moves will be based on his refined street fighting. After that he will draw a katana for phase 2, then will drop it, rip off his shirt, and utilize his power based brawling moves for phase 3. He will likely be mostly a close combat and combo focused boss so keeping a distant, memorizing his openings, and using projectiles can be crucial.

I apologize if some details are inaccurate, Im only up to Kimami 1 in the Yakuza / Like a Dragon series and was taking a break before starting Kiwami 2 or Ishin so im not super familiar with the character other than him being arguably the most popular antagonist.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Gonna resubmit Michael Reynolds because Illbleed is cool and I think it’s the kind of game that lends itself really well to being represented with a boss. Also damn I just realized that every piece of miscellaneous content I’ve pitched this season comes from the Dreamcast era lol.

Job #251: Michael Reynolds (Illbleed)

View attachment 354942View attachment 354943View attachment 354944

Michael Reynolds is the main antagonist and secret final boss of the cult-classic Dreamcast survival horror game llbleed. He is the twisted and absurdly wealthy mastermind behind the titular horror-based amusement park, of which none of its visitors made it through alive. With Reynolds offering $100 million to the first patron to survive his death trap, skeptic Eriko and her group of friends decide to investigate and see what all the hype is about. It turns out the rumors of the theme park's dangers were all true, and the gang has to survive six deadly attractions themed around different types of horror movies. Some of these threats include a vengeful baseball dad, a greedy dollar store owner who made a deal with Satan for a second chance at life, and my personal favorite, Zodick the Hellhog. You fight Reynolds himself in the secret true ending, where it's revealed that he was Eriko's father. Illbleed's a wild game, super worth looking into if you're a fan of survival horror or Sega's Dreamcast oddities in general. While Illbleed isn't the biggest thing we haven't given much major content to, I think it'd be really fun to pay homage to this cool little cult title that rarely gets any recognition.

Reynold's boss fight is split up into two phases. In his first form, he's a giant deformed head that can hit you with the giant ball on his head and shoot powerful laser beams at you. He melts into the ground and reemerges behind the player constantly, so make sure to stay on your toes and choose the right time to strike. In his second phase, he'll transform into a giant flying Lovecraftian brain monster that can shoot ghosts at you and fire green homing projectiles. He'll also try to ram his brain into you and create a giant red tornado of said ghosts around him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I previously submitted this as an assist but I think it's better suited as a boss. Also, it's criminal how The House of the Dead doesn't have one of its creatures in a prominent role yet.

Job #251: The Lovers Type-6805

View attachment 340803

The Lovers is one of the main boss creatures in House of the Dead 4 who fought against James Taylor and Kate Green. True to their codename, they are technically not one but two beings in a seemingly symbiotic relationship: The main body is a giant, female tarantula with four legs while a much smaller, male spider on her head acts as the main weak point and has a pair of enormous, spiky legs.

In a similar fashion to Rathalos in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Lovers is a boss character that can jump in and out of the stage by climbing through the background. They usually alternate between two attack patterns: when the female throws webbing at the players to slow them down, the male protects himself with his legs; and while the male tarantula slashes his prey, the female moves around the stage. The female can also summon small, arachnid Taran creatures to their help. Due to its weak point mechanic, hitting the male tarantula's head with certain attacks can stun the boss for a short while.

The stage they are fought in is a large construction elevator in a constant ascension that occasionally drops rubble and may have a slowing spider web at random places. The battle theme is either Boss Raid or A Decomposition Dance.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Shadow Master (Shinobi)

In his first phase he zips around the screen, throwing kunai. He can also occasionally block attacks and has a special move where he throws three kunai at a time. In his second phase he throws energy blasts and gains a jumping kick attack. He also has an attack where he rises into the air and shoots energy blasts all across the screen. The area you fight him in is based on the final boss in Shinobi III.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I am torn, because on one hand, I kind of want this character to be the Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta or Smash 4 Bayonetta of this game (an absurdly powerful DLC character released at the end, or at least one who has that reputation/appearance - they'd likely be balanced), but on the other hand, I'm not sure if there's going to be DLC beyond this point, and they'd also work as a boss.

ELIZABETH (Persona)

One of the attendants of the Velvet Room, Elizabeth also serves as Persona 3's ultra-difficult bonus boss who (by RPG tradition) is much tougher than the final boss of the game. Quirky and not entirely sure how humans interact with the world around them, Elizabeth comes into battle armed with the Persona Compendium, a massive book that allows her to summon any Persona from that game.

Much like her boss fight in Persona 3, and her playable appearance in Persona 4 Arena, this means that she can use a wide variety of physical and magical skills. Her boss fight is relatively straightforward - rather than having multiple phases, she has a ton of health, and while her attacks have a wide range, they're telegraphed by the Persona that she summons beforehand.

* Agidyne: Elizabeth summons Surt, who stabs his sword into the ground - pillars of fire burst out of the ground, one at a time, as they cross the floor.

* Bufudyne: Elizabeth summons Gabriel, who shoots shards of ice directly upwards into the air - they freeze opponents on contact

* Garudyne: Elizabeth summons Trumpeter, who blows into its trumpet, causing a large green gust of wind to shoot out - the individual hits aren't as powerful as her other attacks, but it hits multiple times.

* Ziodyne: Elizabeth summons Odin, who raises his hand, causing a massive bolt of lightning to strike the area in front of him. This doesn't have much range, but it's incredibly powerful.

* Brave Blade: Elizabeth summons Thanatos, who draws and swings a sword so quickly that it's difficult to follow what he's doing. (think Vergil from Devil May Cry)

* God's Hand: Elizabeth summons Kartikeya, who stabs forward with a spear, sending out a piercing shockwave.

* Primal Force: Elizabeth summons Metatron, who poses dramatically as a massive fist falls from the sky in front of him.

* Diarahan: Elizabeth summons Daisoujou, who restores her health. She only uses this once, when she reaches half health.

* Megidolaon: Elizabeth won't use this until she reaches 10% health, and for good reason - it's an Almighty spell that covers a wide area and deals massive amounts of damage. It can still be avoided, but it's harder to dodge than her other attacks.

Even when she's defeated, she just lies down with an amused look on her face, indicating that she wasn't taking the fight completely seriously.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 251: Ernst (Rise of Nightmares)
Ernst.png

Ernst was once a normal man, living his life with his wife Yeli when they were both kidnapped by the twisted doctor Viktor Fleischer who performed all manner of experiments on them. After the two of them escaped their cell, Ernst offered to stay behind to distract Viktor's monsters and allow Yeli to escape. His plan to do was a success but he ended up being caught and further experimented on until he became this masked monsterous mountain of muscle.

Ernst himself is impossible to damage, with everything the opponent throws at him only slowing him down, making him a different kind of challenge for a boss battle. He can be knocked back, but he cannot be killed, and escape is really the only way to win against him!

Ernst's boss battle therefore would consist instead of a long gauntlet style stage that the fighters must escape from whilst taking down the various lesser experiments known as the Altered as Ernst chases them down. Only by reaching the end of the stage and escaping will the fighters win this boss battle.

For attacks, Ernst has the ability to shoot drill tipped chains from his hand which can impale opponents and bring them back to him. Ernst can also periodically send out an Altered to chase the fighters down. If you're caught by the altered you'll want to tap the attack button rapidly to free yourself as Ernst's physical prowess will allow him to melt through the fighters HP very very fast with his powerful blows and drill tipped chain spears should he catch up with the fighters.

Interestingly stopping for a while without making a sound will confuse Ernst, as he only can follow opponents by sound. That helmet he wears obscures his already poor vision, so in a pinch perhaps the best course of action is doing nothing and confusing Ernst making him head in the wrong direction...of course the Altered are unlikely to let you stay static for long, so this may be a situational tactic at best!

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 251: Ramirez/Zelos (Skies of Arcadia)

I searched for a character that's from a niche series, and I landed on this man. This is main antagonist and final boss of Skies of Arcadia. From what I've seen, he would be a very unique character, having 3 phases for the fight.

1st phase: He starts off in his normal state, fighting with his sword, akin to Vyze's playstyle but far more projectile focused.
2nd Phase: He sacrifices himself to Zelos, and becomes an orb of destruction. He would play akin to Yomi in Tastunoko vs Capcom

3rd Phase: Thinking you had won, he emerges out of the orb, having infused himself with the power of Zelos. He becomes completely broken, run for your life.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 251: Demi Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)

Demi Fiend was once a human, but after the Conception occured and destroyed a world, he was turned into a half demon by Lucifer, with the purpose of either destroying or recreating the world. This guy has appeared in multiple SMT games as the peniultimate boss of the game, and has even been the protagonist of his own. He is incredibly powerful and would be a formidable opponent to the rest of the cast.
We've already added an SMT boss

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
I haven't played Dynamite Headdy in a while, what exactly are you talking about? Just wanna make absolutely sure whether it's fine or not
In Dynamite Headdy, you go around fighting keymasters, which are the main bosses in each world, except for World 4 where Heather has already beaten one of them before you get to it.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Wait actually no, it doesn't even show the boss. There's nothing to build this off of, yeah sorry I'm not allowing it

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Oume & Otane (Power Instinct)
The Goketsuji Sisters and the respective final bosses of Power Instinct (Oume) and Power Instinct 2 (Otane). Oume whos the more cruel and evil sister and Otane is the more tragic sister that ended up taking down Oume for revenge and ruling the the Goketsuji clan after the first game. their appearance here is based Groove On Fight in which they tied themselves together so they could be counted as one person. Goketsuji clan holds a tournament in which who ever wins becomes the new leader however it is mostly a impossible task in the end and most dont make it far. They'll use there more iconic moves such as Gan Saishi (throw their dentures at oppenents), Ten Bu Kyaku (power spinning kick that does multiple damage), Ikaku Gan (a fearsome blast of their faces at opponents that does massive damage), some moves from groove on fight are on here such as Boudou Kuorin which has their deceased mother attack. They'll also take out the soul mirror which has a giant demon come out and take the opponents life force. The will also get the ability to transform back to their prime age making them more dangerous.

Boss theme will be a mix of both their themes

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, time to close up shop

Goda: 8 points
Reynolds: 11 points
Lovers: 17 points
Shadow: 6 points
Liz: 15 points
Ernst: 9 points
Ramirez: 6 points
Oume/Otane: 6 points

Season 2's boss will be The Lovers!!!

And that means uh......Season 2 is finished!

Here are the IP that got new content this season:

-Virtua Fighter
-Sakura Wars
-Shenmue
-Streets of Rage
-The House of the Dead
-Rez
-Napple Tale
-SEGA no Game wa Sekai Ichi-i-i!!

Now here's the question: do we keep going or not?

From now on, the future is a bit more uncertain. We've done two seasons, and we could very well keep going, but I could also see the argument for stopping here. So I'll leave it up to a vote: Do we keep going, yes or no? If yes gets more votes, we'll keep going and do Season 3. If no gets more votes, we'll move onto the guest character and then NOOOOOO MOOOOOORE BATTLE OF AGES vine boom

Here is le poll:

In the meantime, you can do er.....****in whatever. I may post my thoughts on this season

D

Deleted member

Personally I think at least one more feels right. Though its up to the thread runner obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Voted yes, only in case that the final season consists only of guest characters (no matter if they are from a video game or not)

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
There are still quite a few SEGA characters that would make for great additions imo. There's no need to go full third parties when this is SEGA crossover.
You're saying it, old pal! There's those examples like, besides lots of others in their quite long library (before we'll release a certain master gentleman thief):
  • Dynamite Deka/Cop (Die Hard Arcade; Bruno Delinger)
  • Bin/Pin (Dynamite Dux; Bean the Dynamite's original inspiration)
  • Fighting Vipers (surprised that Honey hasn't made it there yet)
  • Deku (Fighters Megamix; closest we'll have for Amingo from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and his moveset would also consist of other "what the heck" picks like Hornet, Mr. Meat and AM2's palm tree - thanks, Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
  • Virtua Tennis (King)
  • Endless (doing this for YoshiandToad YoshiandToad ; Horatio is definitely one of those villain picks I support - hoping it'll be one of the future jobs)
  • Love and Berry
  • Resonance of Fate (Leanne)
  • Pengo
  • Rent-A-Hero (one of my favorite SEGA series and Taro Yamada's pretty much in radar personally, as you can see on a signature; if not)
  • Thunder Force (the whole series' soundtrack is just on another level)
  • Maybe some additional reps from existing IPs like Magician Type-0 (since Lovers are a boss, I think a mainline HOTD fighter would fit in with Busujima), Harrier, Aika (finishing up a trio with Vyse & Fina, who is an assist), Fei-Yen and Flagman (definitely another character I'll like to see, besides a mechanic aspect).
  • Heck, perhaps even a card or mobile game pick would be interesting enough, especially Chain Chronicle, and what I'm still missing for, SEGA Heroes (Dremagen as a villain pick with Chester in one of her special moves).

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, we have.....an overwhelming majority saying yes. Like, 12 to 1. It's happening.

So let's do this.....

Season 3 of Battle of AGES DLC has begun!!!

And how, you may ask, do we start this season? This first character slot was previously filled by more reps for Sonic and VF, but we've exhausted that, so it's a free space now. I still want to do something fun though. So I've landed on something I've been wanting to do again - here. It. Is:

Job #252: Submit a SEGA villain

Way way back in the base game, we did this prompt, but with the rule of only allowing for new series' so no matter what we'd end up with a villain as that series' first rep. That was weird and I should not have done that. I don't regret Selvaria being in, I'm glad she is, but that was a weird way of getting her in. But we're still pretty lacking in more villainous characters, and SEGA has plenty of fun antagonistic characters ranging from the iconic to the obscure, so I wanted to do this again.

But just how are we approaching this, you might ask? Well.....this prompt's special. I am pushing a button that I have made extremely extremely rare use of over the course of this thread's history: we'll be allowing characters from series' that are already in our roster AND characters from new series'. This is an extremely rare ocurrence, but I feel it's the best option for this job to allow as many options as possible.

However, don't go right into writing that essay for a third Persona character or whatever. There are still limits. For this job, series that already have multiple reps OR have already gotten a DLC character are off the table, as well as new series that have already gotten stages or assists.

Which means the following ones:

-Sonic
-Virtua Fighter
-Yakuza
-Persona
-Streets of Rage
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Phantasy Star
-Sakura Wars
-Football Manager i guess
-Samba de Amigo
-Total War
-Gunstar Heroes
-7th Dragon
-Roommania
-Super Locomotive
-Alien Storm
-Rez
-Napple Tale

Are off the table. Otherwise? Any SEGA thing is on the table, returning or new. Also we will be doing a normal second rep job after this one, so try to think carefully and play your cards right with your picks. Have at it!!!

------------------------
I'm dropping in myself to resubmit the Magician
"I must admit, I really respect your consistency. But you will never, ever defeat me! Say hello to my masterpiece!"

Thanks for the introduction, Curien.

Job #100 - SEGA Villain: The Magician from The House of the Dead
View attachment 337592
(Listen to this for maximum effect)

Type-0, codenamed "The Magician", is a recurring boss in the House of the Dead franchise. A synthetic humanoid creature with special powers, he's the masterpiece of Dr. Curien, and has had to be fought and defeated by the AMS multiple times.

I've pushed for Rikiya Busujima as the HotD rep in the past - and I'll continue doing so if the Magician doesn't win this prompt - but the latter would probably be my second choice from the series. He's appeared time and time again in the series, being the final boss of the first game and reappearing as a boss in the second and fourth. He possesses fire powers and the ability to teleport and levitate, which could make for one hell of a sick moveset. He's a huge fan-favorite, being easily the most iconic and memorable of the series' bosses. And I think of the villains that are eligible for this job, he in particular would still work really well as a standalone representative for his series, I feel. Also he's just ****ing sick.

So yeah, no big writeups this time, but the Magician is cool and epic and awesome and it'd be very cool and epic and awesome if he got in, even with how much I've shilled for Busujima
This writeup's outdated (it comes from before even Rikiya was added), but the important bullet points to gleam are as follows:

-Iconic SEGA villain
-Fan-favorite boss
-Great moveset potential
-Rounds out the HotD cast by representing the mainline games and iconic monsters, while also feeling like a natural second choice and not awkward retroactive completionism

He'd be cool

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
May as well toss my hat into the ring. I'm pretty sure this submission will get ninja'd, but I'll take my shot nonetheless.

Character Name: Lan Di
Character Origin: Shenmue (1999)

I think there are a lot of good potential choices for the role of our villain, but Lan Di is - to me, at least - by far one of the best-suited. Despite a general lack of screentime compared to a lot of villains, the revenge story around which the Shenmue series is centred all radiates out from Lan Di killing the father of Ryo Hazuki. A terrifyingly powerful master of the Tiger Swallow Style, Lan Di's fighting prowess is practically unmatched - with Ryo's own training throughout the series only just managing to keep him alive against him - and that brutal fighting style would play exceptionally well into his character here, too. Also, it'd be pretty cool to have his entrance animation be him hopping from a ladder from a helicopter. Just saying.

Being an iconic villain with plenty of history and pedigree behind him, as well as having an interesting potential playstyle and also just being undeniably pretty cool, but also being a terrifying presence to go up against, I think he's a natural fit for this roster spot. Kicking off Season 3 with a blow as powerful as the Tiger Swallow Fist feels only natural, does it not?

Bullet Points:
  • Another iconic SEGA villain.
  • A natural second Shenmue rep.
  • Excellent moveset potential.
  • Interesting and terrifying presence.
  • A solid start to the season.

SEGA Villain submission:
Death Adder (Golden Axe - 1989, SEGA)
1679595923604.png

Who is Death Adder?
Death Adder is the main antagonist of SEGA's beat'em up video game series "Golden Axe", which was loosely inspired by Conan the Barbarian movies and Street Fighter (1987) game.
Death Adder is a descendant of evil giants who survived the war between many gods and he seeks to conquer the whole world with his power.
In the first game, many years before first game's events, he tricked humans in order to get the Golden Axe and use it's power to start the era of darkness.
Later when he destroyed the Firewood kingdom, he imprisoned royal family from Southwood kingdom.
During the battle in Southwood castle, he was revealed to be a serpent (death adder snake I guess?) and he called other snakes to attack the heroic trio (Ax Battler, Tyris and Gilius).
After his defeat, he perished and the world was saved from the evil.

In second game, he re-emerged from darkness in act of revenge for getting defeated by Trio and he caused the destruction across the land of Yuria.
After defeating him, his castle started to crumble down and he managed to get on dragon's back and challenges the quartet once more. He tried to use his deadly spell, but it was interrupted by Gilius, who attacked him by striking his axe into Adder's head. They both die as they fall down and cause the explosion of spell, killing them.

In "Golden Axe: Duel", many people believed that he died along with Gilius, but he survived as a spirit and he rose again to cause terror in Yuria.

He also appeared in Ax Battler: Legend of Golden Axe (He appears in the darkness) and Golden Axe: Beast Rider as main antagonist.

How he could work in platfighter?
Well, Death Adder isn't a stranger for fighting games, since he appeared in "Golden Axel duel" as playable character and he could borrow a lot of moves from the game. Also we can even moves from his boss fights throughtout the games, plus we might give him some original moves to make his moveset more creative.

In terms of stats, he would be heavyweight rushdown fighter with no ability to air dash.

Why Death Adder as villain character?
The reason why I chose Death Adder for Battle of AGES, because we haven't got a heavyweight character for while and it would totally make sense to have another heavyweight character in. Plus Golden Axe is one of popular SEGA arcade games and it feels odd to have only Gilius as Golden Axe character in roster.
Also Golden Axe fans really love this character and it would bring many SEGA fans joy if he was a playable character in the game.

Also we don't have a villain in our roster who originated from 1980's decade, so his addition would stand out from rest of SEGA villains.

Bullet points:
  • One of iconic SEGA villains
  • Interesting moveset potential
  • Second Golden Axe rep
  • First 1980's villain to join the roster
  • Golden Axe is one of popular arcade game series that was made by SEGA

Top Bottom