• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Diamond
I feel like a lot of our stages are visually busy. This one's nice and simple, I love it. I also just love Monkey Ball's art direction in general.

2. Chinatown
Usually if there's a Chinatown level in a videogame, it ends up being my favorite. I've also accepted the fact that a new SoR rep isn't likely - I would love to have Skate, but that means excluding Max specifically, which feels very wrong.

3. Nightmare Realm
NiGHTS is so pretty

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, time to close the vote. Here we go:

Land: 9 points
Sky: 4 points
Puyo: 3 points
Fields: 0 points
Bailu: 10 points
Chinatown: 8 points
Tokyo: 5 points
Diamond: 6 points
Night: 9 points

And there we have it: Bailu Village will be the first stage in Season 2! This nets Shenmue its second stage!

We're about to do the next character job, but before that, we're about to cover another piece of post-launch content that comes separate from the DLC waves. This is something that's been thrown around before, and I did in fact intend on doing it eventually, so here it is:

Job #234: Submit up to three extra announcers for the game

So! Announcers! In the base game, Battle of AGES' announcing duties are held by the one and only SEGA legend, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. But here's the thing: I kinda just threw this in as a neat side detail during the early days of the project, when things were less organized and I had a less clear vision. The concept of the announcer was never given too much thought. So I kinda wanna go back and revisit this side of things, and we'll be doing it by way of adding a few extra announcers in a post-launch update. These announcers can be characters or voices from any SEGA game or even have a more meta connection to SEGA in a similar vein to Mitsuyoshi. If all goes well, we should be adding three, so I'm allowing everyone to submit up to 3 announcers. Keep in mind that this is different from the menu guide, which is Professor Asobin - I wanted to make that clear as I've seen the two get mixed up before. Anyway uh yeah! Have at it!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. E-123 Omega

Omega.png

"3-2-1: DESTROY ONE ANOTHER WITH YOUR WEAK COMBAT ABILITIES"

"METAL SONIC IS A WORTHLESS CONSUMER MODEL AND HAS BEEN ELIMINATED, AS ALL EGGMAN ROBOTS EVENTUALLY WILL BE. BY ME."

"SONIC HAS GONE ALL STAR. HE IS NOW 0.000000000001% OF MY MAXIMUM DAMAGE OUTPUT. CONGRATULATIONS SONIC."

"THIS GAME'S SURVIVOR IS DR. EGGMAN. BUT ONLY BECAUSE I WAS NOT THERE TO EXTERMINATE HIM. NEXT TIME DOCTOR."

I feel like we should throw a Sonic character into the announcer role, and whilst there's many options left...honestly Omega cracks me up the most. Whilst Shadow or Amy seem like they'd be the most obvious options given their overall importance, but...well Omega's voice is just more enjoyable to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #234: Morgana (Persona 5)

1670000819070.png

Morgana is a shapeshifting creature who acts as your guide and mentor through Persona 5 and is your combat navigator at the start of the game. I think his snarky, try-hard personality would make for a fun announcer and even if it's only in the Japanese version, having Ikue Ohtani in this role would be epic.

He can even make comments about fighters being afflicted with status effects like he does in his own game.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Mario, would you teach me some Italian?"
"Oh, of course! annunciatore means announcer!"

Feeling like you're up for a little Italian lesson? Mario's your go-to guy! Hailing from Shenmue, he's an NPC who Ryo can speak to at Bob's Pizzeria. He loves his wife so much that he moved to Japan from his hometown in Milan, where he was also quite successful as a chef. If you find yourself on Dobuita Street, you can go to him anytime you want to freshen up your linguistic knowledge! And, of course, that's pretty much what he'd do as an announcer in BoA!

"NiGHTS is eliminated - buona notte! That means 'good night!'"
"Tre, Due, Uno, ANDARE!"
"And il victore is...Blu Drago!"

This would be a really cool role for a very memorable minor character from Shenmue to have. Also, if we add him, we'll have an announcer named MARIO in the Sega crossover game. That would be really, really funny.

2nd Announcer Submission: Lion Rafale

I'll be honest, I didn't know anything about Virtua Fighter before its DLC round. But since the submissions rolled in, I found myself in love with a lot of the characters, one of them being Lion, who was submitted back then by Flyboy Flyboy . While he missed his shot as a fighter, I think it makes perfect sense for him to have a second chance at a spot in the game as the announcer, as he's just like, really disrespectful towards everyone, but in the best way possible.

"The echidna got eliminated - hah! What a knucklehead!"
"The show's gonna begin...right now!"
"And the winner is...not me, that's who!" (yes he says that for everyone)

I just think he's hilarious, and I need to hear his voice somewhere in this game.

3rd Announcer Submission: Jimbo Matison

Don't recognize this guy? His iconic SEGA scream may ring a bell. While on-set producing a commercial with Sega, this staff director of Colossal Pictures (who was making Sega's commercials with them) yelled the videogame company's name at the top of his lungs after a worker suggested it. Thus, one of the loudest Sega sound bytes - both literally and in the sense of marketing - was born. As you can guess, Matison's gimmick as an announcer is that he screams everything. Everything.

"PRINCESS KURUMI!!!!!!!!!!! HAS BEEN!!!!!!! ELIMINATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"3!!!!!!!!! 2!!!!!!!!!!! 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"
"BLAZE WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Loud = funny, as we all know, and the SEGA scream is about as loud as you can get. But it's also an important part of SEGA history, and one that shouldn't go forgotten, so having some representation of it in some form would be really, really awesome. (also, I'm glad this isn't a real game or else this guy's voice would be absolutely destroyed after he records all his lines)

I know humor has been a common theme in these three proposals, but I'm sure we'll get some more serious ones from others. These three just really stand out to me and I knew I had to submit them. Also I'm the guy whose most wanted Smash character is Morshu, what did you expect

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RodinRender.png

Rodin

The bar tender and blacksmith of hell. Rodin has such a smooth voice and would have some great lines for all the characters. It would be cool to see him be playable but I think there are a lot of series we should give second reps to before Bayonetta so this would be a fun role for him

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sage (Sonic Frontiers)

Sage is a major character in Sonic Frontiers, Her serious delivery would be a fun change of pace and her VA Ryan Bartley does a great job.

Bryan Burton-Lewis

That is all

Pocket Circuit Fighter (Like A Dragon)

Pocket Circuit Fighter would bring some fantastic enthusiasm to fights making them extra fun.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #234: Extra DLC Announcer - Jake Paterson (SEGA Race TV)

One of the real-time commentators in the 2008 racing game developed for SEGA's Lindbergh arcade hardware, which was Yu Suzuki's last game during his time at the company before leaving, Jake will encourage fighters with his loud-voiced macho passion, much like how he grooves with those over-the-top dancing skills (that accompany from driving his Mercury 1949 Convertible as a playable character) in the home game's attract mode.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay I gotta put this one forward

Caleb Goldman (The House of the Dead 2)

THoTD2_Goldman.jpg

it's him......the funny man.......

As one of the main villains of the HotD franchise, Goldman will take it upon himself to announce our matches, thanks to the power of incredibly deadpan delivery and occasional slips into a Kermit voice

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, time to close the vote.

DJPK: 5 points
Omega: 9 points
Morgana: 1 points
Omochao: 0 points
Hal: 3 points
Mario: 6 points
Lion: 1 points
Jimbo: 1 points
Rodin: 14 points
Kohara: 0 points
Sage: 2 points
Bryan: 2 points
Fighter: 2 points
SC5: 1 points
Jake: 8 points
Goldman: 15 points

And there we have it: our three extra post-launch announcers will be Caleb Goldman, E-123 Omega and Rodin!!!

Anyway, it's finally time for our next character job. And we'll be repeating what we did last season:

Job #235: Submit a base game series to give a second rep to

So yeah we're doing this again. As a reminder, in this kind of job, what we do is submit series' instead of characters, and then vote on which one to give a character to. The winner will get its own character job dedicated to characters from that series. And this time we're deciding on the next base franchise to give a second rep to.

So here are the eligible candidates:

-Alex Kidd
-Sakura Wars
-Space Channel 5
-Fantasy Zone
-Skies of Arcadia
-NiGHTS
-Bayonetta
-Puyo Puyo
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Super Monkey Ball
-The House of the Dead
-Shenmue
-Jet Set Radio
-Wonder Boy
-Shining
-Golden Axe
-Shinobi
-Virtual-ON
-Panzer Dragoon
-Ninja Princess

Have at it!!!!!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I'll start things off by nominating Sakura Wars again. One of the most overdue series' for a second rep IMO.
Job #235: Sakura Wars
View attachment 360370
Sakura Wars is one of SEGA's most popular and successful franchises and is treated with a lot of reverence by them, so I think a second rep is definitely warranted. And indeed, there's a number of options here! You have the other main girls, for one: Erica is a very popular character, Gemini is a frequent suggestion in here and has a very neat contrast with Sakura, and Amamiya would represent the revival. There's also Ichiro Ogami, the main dude for most of the series, and who can be a dual swordfighter. I do also feel like the original Flower Division is iconic enough that you can get away with throwing another one of em in here. I think Sumire could be pretty cool, as a long-range naginata fighter with a very fun personality, but you could also do Maria as a sharpshooter, Kanna as a brawler, etc. There's also any number of other girls from throughout the series who could make for interesting submissions. There's a lot of potential here.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bayonetta

As a character action game, Bayonetta has quite a few options to choose from for a second character.

Jeanne works as an obvious clone character, though changes could be made to her moveset by giving her different weapons if we don't want to go the clone route.

Rodin could work as a slower hard-hitting brawler that contrasts with Bayonetta, assuming that he could be playable while being an announcer.

Other alternatives could include Balder, Rosa, Viola (the new protagonist from Bayonetta 3), various angels and demons, Strider from Bayonetta 3, etc. The Bayonetta series is known for over-the-top action, so it's well-suited to a fighting game or platform fighter.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #235: Super Monkey Ball

While AiAi is excellent, his series is known for its colorful cast of characters who despite all rolling inside balls in the regular gameplay, have unique personalities and interests in the story and minigames.

MeeMee, Baby, and GonGon would work well as a second characters who could act as a semi-clone to AiAi but you also have Dr. Bad-Boon who would have a unique moveset.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #235 Puyo Puyo

The inventor of the VS puzzle genre, one of SoJs more popular IPs, according to the producer as popular as Sanrio merchandise, the 2nd coming of Tetris according to Moo Niitani, Beloved by many and filled to brim with hundred of characters. The series is plentiful with projectile based mages so we can start with main characters like Amitie or Ringo, or how about some original Madou characters? Need a swordsman? Schezo, Need a Mage that fights on a broom? Witch, Need a martial artist? Rulue or Draco, a antagonist and a dark magic user? Satan.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #235: The House of the Dead

The classic long-running horror light gun rail-shooter series with a fair amount of spin-offs (ranging from different genres such as educational through keyboard-typing/English language skills, minigames, beat 'em ups, top-down shooters and pinballs), appearances in SEGA crossovers and recent relevance through Scarlet Dawn in 2018 & two remakes developed by Forever Entertainment from Panzer Dragoon's own (with HOTD2's being in development). Thus far, we only have a fighter (Rikiya Busujima) who comes from the spin-off game (Zombie Revenge) and this series got lots of characters (both humans and zombies/monsters) to pick up for a second and possibly mainline representative, such as:
  • Agent G - A recurring protagonist (technically playable in HOTD2 via Original Mode's costumes), who's moveset would have him using various firearms/weapons such as a handgun, shotgun, assault rifle, minigun, crossbow and grenades, alongside a reload mechanic and potential All-Star Move may either have a third-person perspective akin to the games & Snake/ZS Samus' Final Smashes, or some funny ice cream truck thing alongside his companion from Overkill, Isaac Washington (complete with him swearing).
  • Magician Type-0 - Much like Agent G, Magician is an another prominent character and most recurring boss/antagonist (showed up as a mini-bonus item in HOTD III), being pretty much a villain representative which we, honestly said, lack in amount (Eggman, Selvaria & Zheng Jiang being the only antagonists in this project's roster). He also has such a badass battle/fight theme (which should be remixed unlike in base; skip to 2:54 if you want to get straight into action) and unique playstyle benefiting from fast aerial movements, levitation, teleporting and pyrokinesis (even the Pandora's Box being utilized to summon multiple clones of himself in his All-Star Move akin to HOTD4 Special's bad ending; going to admit, Magician's now one of my most wanted characters/fighters - he's the major reason for this submission).
    • Perhaps Magician would borrow some elements from his Zombie Revenge counterpart, Black Magician Type-01 (likely a special alternate costume), being able to use some of his attacks (which he borrowed and modified from previous bosses like ZED's minus handguns; a laser attack may be an All-Star Move's starting part) and three card abilities (trademark/signature fire, lightning/electricity or necromancy to summoning zombies; perhaps other creatures like Ebitan?) as part of his gimmick (possibly allowing for different Neutral Specials depending on a chosen card).
    • Also, potential cross-franchise costumes based on Heavy Magician from Sonic Mania (not only just by name) and Jackle from NiGHTS into Dreams.
  • Ebitan Type B-3 - A recurring humanoid enemy, who also made an appearance in SEGA Heroes, has three iterations with different attack methods (miniature Koebitan & a purple sludge-covered Smoker) and can even spew goo, use a sword, his brothers or a barrel from the concept art.
  • Dr. Curien - The first game's main antagonist and a genetic engineer, who created hostile biological creatures which he is capable of commanding/summoning to attack opponents through a miniature Bio-Reactor, including Chariot, Hangedman and Hermit. His All-Star Move may likely turn him into his resurrected Wheel of Fate form (following a death from Magician) from The House of the Dead III.
    • I originally envisioned Caleb Goldman as a summoner (complete with his table/chair in some animations and Emperor appearing in his All-Star Move), but he just got in as an DLC announcer, so I decided to give that archetype for Curien instead, akin to his role in SEGA Heroes.
  • Zobio & Zobiko - A zombie couple from the Japanese-exclusive spin-off title Loving Deads: HOTD EX, who also made appearances in Sumo Digital's racing crossover games (as a cameo in Transformed).
Of course, for an additional note, a new The House of the Dead fighter would also have a different victory jingle/theme compared to Rikiya Busujima's own.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I am once again pushing for another SMT rep

Job #216: Shin Megami Tensei

View attachment 360357

Oh wowee, the huge Megaten fan is submitting Megami Tensei for the second character job. Who coulda saw that coming? Jokes aside, Megaten is so massive and far-reaching that just focusing on Raidou and Devil Summoner is just barely scratching the surface of what this franchise has to offer. I really do feel like our Megaten representation could really benefit from having another DLC fighter, and there are no shortage of fun choices at our disposal. You’ve got your newer faces like Ringo and Nahobino, your legacy picks such as Demi-Fiend, Serph, or Nemissa, and even Jack Frost is back on the table if you’re into that. My personal preference would be for us to finally get a numbered mainline SMT rep like Nahobino or Demi-Fiend, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a truly bad choice for Megaten.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 235: Shenmue

Shenmue-Characters.png

Shenmue fans appear to be utterly unable to catch a break between Shenmue III being not quite what long time fans of the series wanted and Shenmue The Animation being cancelled with no chance of a second season.

So let's give them one, with an additional character to join Ryo Hazuki on the Battle of Ages roster.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, we have a good amount of submissions, most of the regulars have posted, I think it's a good time to start voting.

Here are our picks:

Sakura Wars (ya boy)
Bayonetta ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Super Monkey Ball ( osby osby )
Puyo Puyo ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
The House of the Dead ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Golden Axe (@Darkonedagger)
Shin Megami Tensei ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Virtual-ON ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Jet Set Radio ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Shenmue ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 3 choices - you can self-vote, but only in third place.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Shenmue
2. Shin Megami Tensei
3. Bayonetta

Top Bottom