• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

1. Eleanor
2. Rico
3. Matoi

Last edited by a moderator:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Katori and Saga (this is a fantastic idea. Plus I was originally going to submit someone from the bouncer class anyways because they look so freaking cool)
2. Rico (the technology + possession thing really makes me think she’d have an awesome moveset, also makes sense to have a PSO character before a PSO2 character)
3. Kai (Yipee kai ya-HOLY **** THATS WHY HES NAMED THAT HOW DID I JUST NOW GET THE JOKE)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Ash/Sue - I definitely think PSO2 makes sense, and customizable avatar characters are something we've shied away with until now, but the large amount of costumes and ways they could represent many abilities in the game makes them feel shockingly unique, especially BECAUSE we don't often go for picks like this when building this roster.

2. Matoi - I'm sold - her popularity and abilities are both extremely cool to me and she feels like a very realistic pick to represent PSO.

3. Elenor - I've loved her since the moment I set my eyes on her when I would read gaming magazines in middle school. She's a cool robot with a great design and place in the overall story. She sparks a whole lot of joy for me.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. Rico - the Phantasy Star Online titles feels like it needs representing IMO, and Rico combines the importance of the first game's history alongside some additional antagonist action. The possession and tech have me curious.
  2. Matoi - Similarly Matoi seems like a very fine option for Phantasy Star Online representation as a modern face of the franchise. Her role as a Force class gives her some additional niche as a mage style character which we haven't got too many of right now.
  3. Kai - On the complete other end of the spectrum, I have a bit of a soft spot for the game Kai comes from. Whilst Kai isn't my favourite character from it (that goes to the body surfing CAST Ogi who is found as just a head but still alive) I can't vote against the inclusion of some 0 stuff. Plus, cool cowboy.

Last edited:

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
(hi i've just been lurking in this thread up til now, but I hope you guys don't mind if I throw in a vote)

1. Katori and Saga (I love the personality they could bring and I feel like this roster could use a duo fighter)
2. Eleanor (I was sold by the idea of a fighter focused on setting traps, and it'd be cool to have another android that still seems like she could be pretty different from Aigis)
3. Lashiec (While I do understand the Online games probably deserve a rep more since Nei is already here, I'm more fond of the classic series and tbh this I prefer him to Rico as a way to incorporate Dark Falz in a playable form, as he's more specifically associated with him unlike Rico who has more of her own identity that I feel would kind of be lost if she had a moveset focused on her possession)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, it's results time!

Here they come:

Elenor: 13 points
A/S: 6 points
Rico: 16 points
K/S: 14 points
Lashiec: 5 points
Kai: 2 points
Matoi: 16 points
Kireek: 0 points

.......Ah **** another tie. QUICK GO VOTE IN HERE I'M CLOSING THIS IN A BIT GOGOGOGOGO

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, it's been a bit, this wasn't meant to go for a particularly long time, and I think we have far enough of a lead to call the vote: our second Phantasy Star character, and the second character in our first DLC season, will be none other than Matoi!!!!

Anyway, it's now time for our next jobs:

Job #218: Submit a moveset for Matoi

funny magic lady

Here's the usual guideline:

-General playstyle overview
-Notable normal attacks
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc./cosmetic info

But as we've made moveset jobs more of a lowkey submit-one-if-you-want thing, I'm gonna start up another job as well. It's time for....

Job #219: Submit a second assist for a base game franchise

Indeed, each season will add a second assist for a series that had playable rep in the base game! Our only series to have had more than one assist so far is Sonic, but we're gonna start giving some love to some of the others.

Here are the available series you can submit a character from:

-Virtua Fighter
-Yakuza
-Persona
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Streets of Rage
-Phantasy Star
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Bayonetta
-Alex Kidd
-Fantasy Zone
-Sakura Wars
-Puyo Puyo
-Super Monkey Ball
-Space Channel 5
-Jet Set Radio
-NiGHTS
-Skies of Arcadia
-Shenmue
-The House of the Dead
-Wonder Boy
-Shining
-Golden Axe
-Shinobi
-Virtual-ON
-Panzer Dragoon
-Ninja Princess (actually in this case it'd be the first assist but whatev)

Do keep a few things in mind though:

A. whether or not your assist is distinct enough from its series' first assist
B. whatever character wins this will be disconfirmed. We're basically starting up a new disconfirmation cycle so yeah, be careful
C. do try to focus on the bigger series for now

Anyway that's all folks!!!

Dr. Badboon (Super Monkey Ball) (Resubmission)
1663013028953.png
Dr. Badboon is an antagonist of Super Monkey Ball series made by SEGA and he is scientist, who came from future and he tries to threaten the Monkey Ball world because of AiAi, who stole his love interest MeeMee and he revenged on him with plan of time travel to prevent AiAi from stealing MeeMee.

When summoned, he would go into Background and he will hover in air and laughing, but he will activate his random deadly inventions that could make opponents fight in Fright.
The Inventions:
  • Shrink Ray: Dr. Badboon Shrinks all fighter except summoner for while.
  • Bomb Drop: Dr. Badboon drops a bomb on stage that explodes with radius of whole stage; Only Summoner can survive the explosion.
  • Robot Army: Dr. Badboon summons AiAi robots to attack opponents, making opponents unable to attack. The robots can be destroyed by attacks.
He can't be KOed as Assist.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #219: Sig (Puyo Puyo)

1663048049753.png

I think we can use a Puyo Puyo assist that focuses on the magical aspect of the series more and from what I can tell, Sig is one of the more popular/prominent options to go from without being "needs to be playable" important like Ringo or Amitie.

Sig is a boy who almost never shows his emotions other than his fascination with insects and rarely reacts to things strong. He wields Blue Magic, named after the different shades of the color. There's no deeper connection to that and his left arm being a red claw, probably.

When Sig is summoned, he takes a long time spacing out and watching a ladybug flying around him before preparing his spell. Therefore, he should be used as a trap-like character rather than an immediate attack option. However, his only attack is immensely strong: He charges a dark blue energy sphere with both hands, calling out "Cobalt!" as the strong light emanating from it shadows him, revealing his red-glowing left eye before he unleashes a screen-wide magic beam that rivals in strength to some All-Star Moves.

Sig can be hit but doing so will cause him to attack earlier unless he's defeated.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #219: Reiji Shiba (Sakura Wars)

Reiji.png

The head technician of the new Imperial Revue under Sumire Kanzaki's guidance and employment.

A brilliant Mugen mechanic, Reiji himself has no spiritual power to use a mech, despite his adoration of them. As such he decided to focus his efforts on becoming the best mugen mechanic he could.

When summoned into battle, Reiji will temporarily give you your own Mugen to play around in! The Mugen will only last briefly but will allow the player to temporarily gain super armour via sitting in the Mugen, and battle with greatly increased attack power briefly, at the cost of the loss of special abilities.

Due to the rapid speed of which this experimental battle suit will drain your spiritual powers, it can only hold together for a very short period before breaking apart otherwise it would damage the fighters.

Reiji will have a long cool down as he has to fix your busted up Mugen in between summons.

When summoned by Sakura Shinguji, it'll be a suped up version of her regular Mugen, whilst other characters simply get a colour swap to match their primary palettes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #107: Matoi Moveset

General playstyle:

Matoi is an average-height character with a very lightweight, similar to her fellow Phantasy Star fighter Nei. However, her glass cannon status comes from the high damage output she can dish out with her powerful Techniques, hailing from the Force class and its promotions in PSO2. Matoi has low, floaty jumps, high traction, low ground, airspeed, and high gravity acceleration. These make her a low-mobility, low-survivability character that depends on careful use of her zoning skills and assist characters.

Matoi fights with her rod Clarissa, which she mostly uses to cast Techniques but can also be used as a pole weapon. It will hover at her back when not used. Her jab is a simple stab of her rod, which zaps the opponents. Her tilt and air attacks are largely swings and twirls that deal low damage. Her up smash is Grants, causing three blades of light to cross above her head. Her down smash is Megid, forming a sphere of dark photons on the ground. Her forward smash is a heavy swing with Clarissa, which gains different properties if she has a Technique charge.

Matoi also possesses a passive ability called Photon Purification, allowing her to store to charge all of her specials by canceling them with a shield, air dash, or dodge. However, this will cause her to take more damage from all normal means while she has a stored charge, stacking to x1.25 if she has charges on all of her specials.

Specials moves:

Neutral Special:
Barta/Gibarta. Matoi sends an icy projectile that sticks to the ground and explodes into small shards upon contact with an opponent or obstacle. These shards temporarily attach to opponents, increasing their freeze duration and the damage they take from Matoi’s side special. If she charged this move all the way, she will cast a large, spiky wall of ice that blocks weak attacks and projectiles. Opponents caught in the initial burst will be frozen.

Gibarta's charge will give her forward smash a freezing effect.

Side Special: Foie/Gifoie. Matoi holds her rod forward and creates a fiery explosion in front of her, which distance can be slightly adjusted by how far the side input is tilted. If she catches an opponent with this move, she can immediately tap the button again to send a fireball follow-up. If she charged this move all the way, she will cast a whirling vortex of flames which detonates any explosives and burns opponents. In the air, she will always cast Gifoie around herself.

Gifoie charge will give her forward smash a burning effect.

Down Special: Zonde/Gizonde. Matoi lifts her rod skyward and creates a thundercloud diagonally above her, which sends a purple lightning bolt downward. If not blocked, the resulting shock leaves opponents vulnerable. If she charged this move all the way, she will cast a purple orb of energy that stays in the air and periodically send thunder bolts below three times. These bolts have more horizontal range and knockback.

Gizonde charge will give her forward smash a shock effect.

Up Special: Zan/Gizan. Matoi waves her rod below her to send three consecutive blades of wind, each one sending her upward. This move gives her a lot of distance and can be a useful edge-guard tool but doesn’t cover her from above. If she charged this move all the way, she will cast a large, green tornado under her which gives her more distance and add a weak hitbox to her. The tornado traps opponents before launching them away.

Gizan charge will give her forward smash charge a slight vacuum effect.

All-Star Move: Clarissa Photon Blast. Matoi holds out her rod as it starts to glow in intensity and then shoots three Grants projectiles forward. If they catch any opponents, she creates a Megid black hole around them, dealing looping damage.

But these are only a prelude to her real super move. Matoi then jumps back to the air, waves Clarissa to channel the excess Photons she accumulated, and shoots a powerful laser straight ahead into the helpless opponents. You can also move around slightly while shooting the laser before it blasts the victims away.

Other:

Aesthetics:
Matoi’s design is taken from her Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode 4 onward look. However, her design is tweaked to be slightly less revealing. Her proportions and face are more stylized than her in-game model similar to her Idola: Phantasy Star Saga appearance.

Her idle, walking, jumping, double jumping, and running (which is a Photon Dash that allows her to hover) animations are taken from her game animations. When blocking, she forms a beehive barrier in front of her.

Her color palettes reference other PSO2 female characters such as Aika, Ludmilla, Katori, and Quna. She’s voiced by Satomi Sato in Asian regions and Xanthe Huynh in others, both reprising her roles.

Entrance animation: Matoi falls from the sky, and uses Photon Glide to slow her ascend at the last second. She then twirls Clarrissa with a flourish and then puts it on her back.

Taunts:
Taunt 1:
Matoi holds Clarissa to her chest and waves with one hand, beaming. She may say “I know we can do it!”
Taunt 2: Matoi holds out a hand and spins Clarissa in front of her while charging photons, with a determined look on her face. The charge effect will match her stored element if she has any.
Taunt 3: Matoi briefly hovers and holds out a hand. She may say “Don’t put a hand on my friends!”

Victory Animations:
Victory 1:
Matoi holds a cluster of photons in her hands with a dreamy expression. (inspired by this official art)
Victory 2: Matoi thrusts Clarissa forward like a spear, spins it in her hand, and then proudly holds her fists up as it floats behind her. She may say “I know I could do it!”. If Nei is in the match, she can also say “It’s not time for me to lose face!”
Victory 3: Floating, Matoi fires two fireballs, spins around herself, and lands. She almost loses her balance and falls but gets back up and smiles sheepishly. She may say “Oh! Did I win?”

Victory Theme: A short excerpt from Quest Clear! (Phantasy Star Online 2)

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #219: Mr. Shakedown/Hiroya Egashira (Yakuza)

4DDE0CCA-C73D-41CF-8A5D-1BBDB283E810.jpeg

Mr. Shakedown is a special enemy type in Yakuza 0 that roams the streets of Kamurocho looking to shake Kiryu and Majima down. They’re one of the most powerful enemy types in the game and if you lose to one of these guys, they take all your money. There’s actually a few different men who take on the Mr. Shakedown alias, each with their own motivations and personality. Egashira, an eccentric eight-foot-tall beefcake who will go to the most extreme lengths to become the strongest being in the universe, is the first Mr. Shakedown you meet on your journey. If you’re wondering how dedicated this man is in his quest for power, he’s fought orcas, sharks, tigers, and bears with his bare fists, traveled to an eastern military base, and bought his own personal mountain that he trains on. While all of the Mr. Shakedowns have identical movesets, Egashira is the first and, in my opinion, most memorable one, so it just makes sense to go with him.

When summoned, Mr. Shakedown will walk around the stage looking for guys to steal money from. He’s got a lot of swings, punches, and grapples to slam opponents with. While his attacks are slow, he has the highest damage output of any offensive assist, being able to effortlessly ko opponents at low enough health. Also if he knocks out an opponent, his attacks only get stronger until he disappears.

“But Orpheus,” I hear you saying. “An already powerful assist that keeps getting stronger the more he knocks people out? Isn’t that a bit overkill?” And it is!

.....but here’s the thing

You see, Mr. Shakedown isn’t immune to being hit. Which means opponents can fight back and knock him out after a few good hits. And if an opponent manages to shake down Mr. Shakedown, they take all his money and get a temporary attack buff. The more opponents Mr. Shakedown took down prior to being knocked out, the stronger the opposing attack buff is. With Shakedown’s attacks being as slow as they are, it will not be hard for opponents to find an opening. So while it could be easy for the assist to snowball and overwhelm anyone who isn’t prepared to deal with it, it could also just as easily blow up in your face if your opponent is able to exploit Mr. Shakedown’s weaknesses. It’s an extremely high risk, high reward assist that requires the player to be extra careful about protecting Mr. Shakedown.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sophie (Persona)

Sophie once summoned will appear in her phantom thief form and would be a simple assist where she goes around doing attacks with her yoyos with similar attacks to that of Ness in Smash Bros. She would also use her blaster to attack far away opponents.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Sig
2. Dr. Badboon

Light Phaser (Master System)

Light Phaser is a peripheral for Sega Master System and it's like NES Zapper, but it's made by SEGA and it's a light gun.
Light Phaser was made by SEGA and it was based on one of Weapons from "Zillion" anime, where Opa-Opa made an appearance.
The Light Phaser is used for shooting games that were on Master System console like Nintendo's Zapper and the Light Phaser was one of Master System's Accessories that were included with 3D glasses and controllers.

In Battle of AGES, Light Phaser could act like ray gun from Super Smash Bros, but with a charged attack if you charge the weapon.
Light Phaser shoots ray bullets that give normal damage, but w you charge the attack, it shoots out projectile that is shown by reticle like Duck Hunt's side smash attack.

I nominate Light Phaser, because it could represent SEGA's console hardware, since we never had an item based on console peripheral and it could be another shooting item after Periscope (Periscope was based on 1960's SEGA arcade game).

Psychic Wand (Alex Kidd)

Psychic wand or Cane of flight is an item that debuted in Alex Kidd in Miracle World and it's a magical wooden can that allows Alex to freely move in the air. It appears in item shop in the game and it costs 120 Baums (A currency from Alex Kidd).

In the game, when you grab it, you start to get lighter and floaty, which it gives you an ability to fly for short time (Heck, it even gives you ability to make longer air dash in game). It also can increase the damage of your aerial attacks and aerial speed of the fighter.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Mr. Shakedown
2. Doctor Bad-Boon

Job #220: Season 1 DLC Items

Gag Item (Pole's Big Adventure)

Pole's Big Adventure is a side-scrolling platform video game which was developed by SEGA and produced by Phantasy Star Universe's Takao Miyoshi for the Nintendo Wii via WiiWare exclusively in Japan on 2009. The game itself involves a eponymous cowboy, Pole, trying to rescue his girlfriend Sharon from a kidnapper by killing enemies with a upgrade-able shotgun. It featured an 8-bit style presentation and gameplay similar to those of NES and SEGA Master System's platforming games like Super Mario Bros. (with Pole "rescuing" Sharon at the end of each level, only to find out that she is a poorly-disguised enemy character) and Alex Kidd in Miracle World, poking fun at the conventions of these games while featuring a crude sense of humor and references to the fourth wall in the form of 100 hidden gags (as both items and mechanics), that Pole has to stumble across in the game, such as limping after breaking his leg when landing from a high platform and a power-up mushroom that turns him so giant he'll lose a life, with even having deliberate bugs and glitches (slowdown/graphical corruption).

And yes, that game WAS a real thing (a big shame that Nintendo's Wii Shop Channel is now closed down):

In Battle of AGES, the Gag Item will appear as a brown 8-bit block with a question mark inside the blue square. When attacked or just touched in contact similarly to Poison Mushroom, it will momentarily transform the character into a messy, pixelated version of themselves (much like Ratchet and Clank's Pixelizer weapon), decreasing their defense and strength for a short period of time before turning them back to normal. This references how one of the glitch-like gags will make so many enemies appear on-screen, causing Pole's sprite to not load in correctly.
Maracas (Samba de Amigo)

Samba de Amigo is the rhythm game, which was developed by Sonic Team for the arcades in December 21th, 1999, later appearing in Dreamcast the following year alongside a Ver. 2000 edition (which has downloadable songs based on other SEGA IPs) and Wii in 2008. The game focuses on a titular Brazilian monkey Amigo, who left his hometown and travels around the world to achieve the title of "Great Maracas King" while playing various popular Latin music/non-Latin pop songs in dancing concerts, accompanied with his little sister Amiga, fellow other characters, and even Sonic the Hedgehog & Ulala themselves in the Wii version. Following the release, Samba de Amigo was referenced in multiple games such as Phantasy Star Online 2 (with Vamos a Carnaval playing in the lobby every April as part of it's yearly Easter event), Sonic Pinball Party (as themed pinball boards), Sonic Riders (a segment in SEGA Carnival) and it's sequel Zero Gravity, Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure, SEGAGAGA and the SEGA Superstars/All-Stars series (where Amigo is a veteran character).

In every version of the game (with accessories/attachments for the Wii Remote and Nunchuk), a player uses linked, unique controllers modeled after Amigo's signature music instruments, the maracas, to match a series of patterns displayed on-screen through their magnetic sensors, either shaking them at high/middle/low heights or occasionally stirking poses with them held in various positions.

In Battle of AGES, small red maracas appear as a dual battering item, which originally does weak damage, but charging up the attack will send out close-ranged musical soundwaves forward. Beating up opponents via extensive combos with these maracas in a quick succession will turn them golden and slightly larger, increasing their attack damage and allowing for bigger waves that send enemies flying a far distance. However, these only last the amount of hits like any other melee weapon/item before disappearing, even though it can do more attacks than them to compensate for it's normal damage.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, results time:

Bad-Boon: 3 points
Sig: 6 points
Reiji: 9 points
Shakedown: 12 points
Sophie: 2 points

And so, the first assist to come in Season 1 will be Mr. Shakedown!!! This nets Yakuza its second assist! Congrats to OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos for getting her submission in

Item submissions will keep going, so get your picks in

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #220:

1663526495963.png

Swirlmerang (Skies of Arcadia)

One of the weapons of your party member, Aika. It's a boomerang but shaped like a lollipop resembling Dreamcast's logo. In this game, it's a throwable item that temporarily reverses the controls of anyone it hits.

Hand Scroll (Shinobi)

View attachment 341748

In Shinobi (2002) and Nightshade, scrolls are limited items that allow the player to use one of three strong abilities peruse. Originally, you need a trained ninja to read this, let alone use it to cast ninjutsu but where's the fun in that?

In this game, any character who reaches one of these first will use Ka'en, a fiery area of effect spell that burns anyone and anything in its range aka big bomb magic. However, this move will be activated in seconds after you get the scroll so it's in your best interest to place yourself somewhere you'll cause the most destruction as possible. Keep in mind that while your character will be immune to the fire damage caused by this move if you accidentally set off any explosive, you're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Helicopter.png

Peticopter (Alex Kidd)

You know, I kinda regret not using Alex's vehicles more in his moveset now. So, screw it, why not let everyone have a chance?

Yes, everyone from the pint size Alex Kidd himself to the gigantic Blue Dragon can ride in this miniature pedal powered helicopter.

Whilst inside the vehicle will grant that character unlimited flight providing they pedal. Not only that but you'll be able to fire off damaging long range projectiles that pack a punch allowing for some spectacular off stage aerial kills.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting the Wisp Capsule

(I'm re-using an idea from the Smash Infinite thread)

Sonic Item:

Wisp Capsule

This item will appear just as it does in Sonic it will hover slightly above the ground and inside this capsule would be one of several Wisp colors each one having a different effect, hitting it with several attacks will free the wisp giving the person who freed it an effect.

White Wisp
This is the most common and will give the user more All-star charge and will slightly heal the user

Violet
This will summon a black hole that draws items and characters towards it

Crimson
This gives the user more air dashes, and consecutive Air-dashes deal damage.

Red
This makes the users attacks deal fire damage

Jade
This wisp will make the user invisible

Blue
this replaces all items on screen with healing items.

Pink
This gives the user's shield and roll slight damaging properties.

Green
This makes the user lighter

Black
This spawns a giant explosion, this one is the rarest.
Peanut Pedestal (Sakura Wars)

The item itself is just the pedestal that the lovable mascot Peanut sits upon, This item is a weapon that you hold and attacking when equipped with it turns you into a peanut statue in which you take 50% less damage and no knockback, but you cannot move. Activating this item in air works similarly to Kirby's Down-B

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Top Bottom