• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: A more fleshed-out SSBM (Job #22: Event Matches 1-10)

How much more dev time should Melee get?

• 6 months

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A year

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Alright, the majority seems to agree :marthmelee::ganondorfmelee::gawmelee:, so we'll be adding them into this roster! So with that, let's do this extra dev time the justice it deserves.

Job #10: Rework Ganondorf

We know Ganon's portrayal as a Falcin clone was received...less than kindly, to be blunt. So let's think of some ways to spice him up! Do we have some Falcon with more Ganondorf mixed in, or do we completely overhaul him? I'm gonna leave that up to you guys, but here's my idea if anyone's interested:
  • Neutral Special: Dark Wave
    • Ganondorf's left backhand shines, displaying the Triforce of Power, as darkness surrounds it. Ganondorf then punches the opponent, with a large front-facing crescent shockwave pushing back any opponents in its vicinity. Basically Warlock Punch, but with added "stay away" elements and endlag.
  • Side Special: Flame Choke
    • Ganondorf dashes forward and grabs the opponent, choking them and then dropping them onto the ground.
  • Up Special: Dark Dive
    • Ganondorf leaps up to grab on opponent. Anyone grabbed gets subjected to electrocution before Ganondorf meteor smashes them with his two feet, giving him a footstool jump in the process.
  • Down Special: Dead Man's Volley
    • Ganondorf charges an orb of light and tosses it at the opponent. If it gets reflected, Ganondorf can then reflect it back at them. The more it's reflected, the faster it moves and the longer the target is paralyzed should they get hit, although the power is never multiplied.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Been kinda busy today, so I didn't get time to provide my own take on Ganondorf.

Just wondering, will the votes for this job be separated for each character or will it be based on everything certain users submit? I'll keep the answer in mind when I make my submissions.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Been kinda busy today, so I didn't get time to provide my own take on Ganondorf.

Just wondering, will the votes for this job be separated for each character or will it be based on everything certain users submit? I'll keep the answer in mind when I make my submissions.
The votes will be separate for each character. The top 3 will win.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 11:
1649780706369.jpeg

With his popularity in the Smash 2 poll, Falco is a no-brainer.

Since Falco has already been submitted, I'll throw in Toad as a Mario semi-clone. It would be neat to have the whole MK64 roster playable, as well as referencing the rumor of him being a hidden character. With his appearance in Mario 2, he could borrow from both the Bros and Peach.

The other two, Ray and Blaziken, like Ganondorf in the OG Melee, would be cross series clones, inheriting the movesets of Samus and Falcon respectively. The concept of Ray as a clone of Samus is a cool idea I saw on GameFAQs and, with the versatile nature of the character, it very well could work, as well as representing a new series. We could make him a semi-clone.

Blaziken as a Falcon clone is a very common and fitting idea that I've seen tossed around here and there and it could help promote Gen 3, given this delay extends into 2002 and development for Ruby/Sapphire was certainly underway by then.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Job 11:
View attachment 350092
With his popularity in the Smash 2 poll, Falco is a no-brainer.

Since Falco has already been submitted, I'll throw in Toad as a Mario semi-clone. It would be neat to have the whole MK64 roster playable, as well as referencing the rumor of him being a hidden character. With his appearance in Mario 2, he could borrow from both the Bros and Peach.

The other two, Ray and Blaziken, like Ganondorf in the OG Melee, would be cross series clones, inheriting the movesets of Samus and Falcon respectively. The idea of Ray as a clone of Samus is a cool idea I saw on GameFAQs and, with the versatile nature of the character, it very well could work, as well as representing a new series. We could make him a semi-clone.

Blaziken as a Falcon clone is a very common and fitting idea that I've seen tossed around here and there and it could help promote Gen 3, given this delay extends into 2002 and development for Ruby/Sapphire was certainly underway by then.

If Blaziken isn't viable, then I'll go with Gooey instead, as we don't have a second Kirby character.
You know what? I'm fine with a Gen 3 rep as a clone.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
In that case, ignore the submission for Gooey, as I imagine we'll get a Dedede submission later down the line.
Oh...well, we will use Dedede for something later, but it won't be as a fighter, sadly. These 3 clones are the last fighters we'll be submitting.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Gonna propose Wolf, Daisy and Roy

I like Falco but I think it would be nice to go either a villian. Daisy could be fun to see and Roy is our boy.

I did consider Leif instead but Roy won out.
I've already submitted Roy, so Leif is fine.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I’ll put forward Lyn as a Marth semi-clone, fights more with a rapier/quick kind of style, also has a crossbow that builds off of Link’s bow & arrow use.

After her, Birdo as a slight modification of Yoshi. She’d use similar egg type of moves, but may also be able to shoot out fireballs or even suck in foes like Kirby.

Probably the biggest stretch of all, but Blastoise as a semi-clone of Bowser. Body-wise, it sort of works, and you could retain the shell-spinning and replace fire-shooting with water-shooting. If they remained in later installments, you’d probably have to rework them.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I’m gonna submit Baby Mario as a Mario clone, who would be like the Mario equivalent to Young Link, Young Link, who would be the Link equivalent of Young Link, and Plusle with a Minun alt, who would be like Pichu but would rep gen 3 since we already have a Johto mon.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Falco: 9​
Black Shadow: 8​
Roy: 8​
Toad: 2​
Ray: 0​
Blaziken: 15​
Young Link: 1​
Wolf: 10​
Daisy: 0​
Leif: 0​
Takamaru: 0​
Lucas: 0​
Excitebiker: 2​
Lyn: 4​
Birdo: 0​
Blastoise: 1​
Baby Mario: 0​
Plusle / Minun: 2​

And with that, two of our three clones shall be Wolf and Blaziken! I didn't want the 3rd to be another Falcon clone, though, so our 3rd clone shall be...Roy!

Job #12: Submit a Blaziken moveset

Doesn't have to be anything super fancy; just list Blaziken's takes on Captain Falcon's moveset and the differences. Here's my take:
  • Neutral Special: Fire Punch
    • A clone of Falcon Punch that trades damage and knockback for an effect with the opponent's rear end on fire.
  • Side Special: Reversal
    • A clone of Raptor Boost, but the damage increases when Blaziken is badly damaged.
  • Up Special: Sky Uppercut
    • A clone of Falcon Dive that trades the grabbing for a multi-hit slash attack.
  • Down Special: Blaze Kick
    • A clone of Falcon Kick that can spike opponents in the air.
Blaziken
Wolf
Roy

(I also have a decloned Ganondorf moveset that I really want to show as well. Also I thought a Rare character being added was mentioned? 27 fighters rather than 28 for a neat rectangle seems a bit weird to me, but I digress)
All I really mentioned was that I considered Rare characters, but decided against it due to Rare being fully owned by Microsoft by late 2002.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 13:

As I imagine there'll be submissions for other characters' alts, I'll just do Wario and Wolf for now.
:warioc::
  1. Default
  2. Booster (red)
  3. Mario Golf alt 1 (blue)
  4. Mario Golf alt 3 (green)
  5. Wario Land 3 (white)
  6. Wario's Woods NES (purple)
:wolf::
  1. Default
  2. David V. Kimball mockup (beige)
  3. Pigma (pink)
  4. Leon (green)