• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Community Echo Voting Thread: Part 48 Shulk

Who should be Robin's Echo?

• Total voters

SonicMario

Smash Master
As for Sonic- it's not quite my series so I'd go with the obvious choice and say Shadow. I don't think it's what anyone really wants (Shadow fans would want him to have Chaos Control powers of teleportation and the like, right?), but I think it's most likely. Though for a more interesting choice... Mighty the Armadillo?

Not to sound rude, as that's certainly not my intention, but I'm curious as to how you see this working? Again, Sonic isn't my series so I don't know that much about Tails, but isn't he more of a gadgeteer as opposed to Sonic's Speedster?
As someone heavy into the Sonic series. Yeah there's some Shadow fans that are conflicted on the idea of Shadow being an echo. But taking Dark Samus (Who never fought like Samus does at all) into account, Shadow still makes a whole lot of sense. And arguably more so then Dark Samus did because there are games Shadow practically played no different from Sonic did. And you could always pull a Chrom and give Shadow a teleport similar to Mewtwo's to replace the spring as well as make all of the dodge animations warp-like animations as well.

As for Tails. In the Classic games, he wasn't too different from Sonic beyond flight ability in Sonic 3 (& Knuckles). However that flight ability is so much more significant of a difference. You can make Shadow play like Sonic and still make him feel like Shadow, but Tails without flight nowadays (While in his debut game if you played as Tails only you could not fly. Pardon the pun, but I don't think you could get away with it as it wouldn't fly today) just would not be Tails. And unlike Mewtwo's teleport there isn't a recovery move that is like Tails' flight in the game any more. The closest Smash Bros. had to a more Tails-like flight in the series is Pit... back in Brawl. And that recovery move was replaced. Unless for some reason they brought that move back just to give an echo Tails one original move (Even if based on an old move)

Dixie's flight ability was enough to make Dixie's echo candidacy here split and even slightly in favor being not an echo. The same should be said for Tails.

I'd take Tails if he had to be an echo to get in, but I currently see no reason why he couldn't be a semi-clone in DLC and possibly even packaged with Shadow as a Sonic echo assuming Shadow's not in the base game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not to sound rude, as that's certainly not my intention, but I'm curious as to how you see this working? Again, Sonic isn't my series so I don't know that much about Tails, but isn't he more of a gadgeteer as opposed to Sonic's Speedster?
i imagine hed function the same way as sonic bar that one move where sonic uses his spines

Why does it not?
well that whole thing about the different body shapes just doesnt hold up as the villager's moveset isnt affected by his body shape and would have worked fine on isabelle

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
i imagine hed function the same way as sonic bar that one move where sonic uses his spines
You still would need Tails' flight somewhere, which would need to be factored into balancing him (Even more so then Chrom's up+b change from Roy). And Tails doesn't share Sonic's body shape.

I do agree that the up throw can be changed to him tossing him up into his spinning tails. But if that's literally the only change, it's just not like Tails enough without a significant flying recovery of some kind that would alone make it hard justifying making him an echo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You still would need Tails' flight somewhere, which would need to be factored into balancing him (Even more so then Chrom's up+b change from Roy). And Tails doesn't share Sonic's body shape.

I do agree that the up throw can be changed to him tossing him up into his spinning tails. But if that's literally the only change, it's just not like Tails enough without a significant flying recovery of some kind that would alone make it hard justifying making him an echo.
well obviously he could fly, a coupe extra jumps or a glide aint gonna disqualify him as an echo

SonicMario

Smash Master
well obviously he could fly, a coupe extra jumps or a glide aint gonna disqualify him as an echo
Are we sure about that?

Pit and Dark Pit are hardly different

Marth and Lucina are different in that Lucina doesn't have a tipper and damage is the same no matter where you hit with her

Roy and Chrom only really have that up+b that's more like Ike's

We don't have many details yet on Peach and Daisy but it doesn't look good for her having any significant differences. Keeping the same turnips and just a different colored Toad

Simon and Richter pretty much share moves, Sakurai even mentioning "Who's really echoing who?"

Samus and Dark Samus so far just seem to have different animations in some cases with Dark Samus floating in idle

Sonic with Tails being the echo would give Tails way more differences then all the echoes combined. More jumps and/or a glide dramatically changes how a fighter fights. Tails would have to be made much weaker and lighter to subside the cost of having him being able to recover more then Sonic otherwise it becomes a risk of being OP. Because imagine fighting a character just like Sonic but even harder to get a KO because Tails can more easily get back on stage. And echoes I'm pretty sure are planned to have the same parameters as the character they're based off of.

Tails would, despite having a different, smaller build then Sonic would have to weigh the same, move the same speed (Though that one at least should be kind of expected, Tails can keep up with Sonic after all), and otherwise share quite a bit with Sonic.

I want Tails more then Shadow too. But it's become clear to me recently that fitting Tails in as an echo would be much harder then Shadow. It's like if fitting echoes were one of those shape puzzles. You have characters that can conveniently shape into the puzzle. Say that Sonic's echo spot is a blue spiky square shaped hole. And then trying to fit an Orange cube with a lack of spikes and 2 tails attached that prevent it from fitting, and then you have this Black spiky cube that fits just right.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Simon and Richter pretty much share moves, Sakurai even mentioning "Who's really echoing who?"
He said that in refrence to Simon taking moves from Richters game, not that they were similar to the point of not being diffrent, though they are still similar.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
For Sonic, I nominate Silver, Knuckles, Amy, Jet, Mephiles The Dark, Somari, and Bubsy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are we sure about that?

Pit and Dark Pit are hardly different

Marth and Lucina are different in that Lucina doesn't have a tipper and damage is the same no matter where you hit with her

Roy and Chrom only really have that up+b that's more like Ike's

We don't have many details yet on Peach and Daisy but it doesn't look good for her having any significant differences. Keeping the same turnips and just a different colored Toad

Samus and Dark Samus so far just seem to have different animations in some cases with Dark Samus floating in idle

Sonic with Tails being the echo would give Tails way more differences then all the echoes combined. More jumps and/or a glide dramatically changes how a fighter fights. Tails would have to be made much weaker and lighter to subside the cost of having him being able to recover more then Sonic otherwise it becomes a risk of being OP. Because imagine fighting a character just like Sonic but even harder to get a KO because Tails can more easily get back on stage. And echoes I'm pretty sure are planned to have the same parameters as the character they're based off of.

Tails would, despite having a different, smaller build then Sonic would have to weigh the same, move the same speed (Though that one at least should be kind of expected, Tails can keep up with Sonic after all), and otherwise share quite a bit with Sonic.

I want Tails more then Shadow too. But it's become clear to me recently that fitting Tails in as an echo would be much harder then Shadow. It's like if fitting echoes were one of those shape puzzles. You have characters that can conveniently shape into the puzzle. Say that Sonic's echo spot is a blue spiky square shaped hole. And then trying to fit an Orange cube with a lack of spikes and 2 tails attached that prevent it from fitting, and then you have this Black spiky cube that fits just right.
im not saying tails works best as an echo or that he should im just saying it a possibility i agree it would make more sense for him to be different from sonic but its not impossible for him to an echo

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Tails can't work as an echo cause his tails required extra bone polygons and it would look weird him doing Sonic's f air which requires quills to look right also not using his tails that much would be way out of character.

Shadow is the obvious choice especially he played exactly like Sonic in Adventure 2 and Heroes.

For Lucas I pick none.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Bump new day! Lucas is up now!

As many of you started sonic is next.

Tails
Shadow
Classic Sonic
Metal Sonic
.to name a few

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I voted for Kumatora (even though she's deconfirmed).

Shadow is easily the best Sonic echo as all of Sonic's moves would translate well to Shadow. Sonic's spring up-B might feel weird for Shadow but as seen with Chrom they could give him a new move anyway.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well, since I've seen the obvious ones, Shadow, Tails, even Metal Sonic...

Amy Rose or Espio the Chameleon? They did play similarly to Sonic in Sonic Heroes... (though I personally don't see them).

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I'm curious, since it's a fairly close race at this point:

If Claus' and Masked Man's combined votes are greater than Kumatora's votes, but separately lower, then who is the winner here?

Claus and Masked Man are functionally the same person, and listing them separately like this has created votesplit. So now if Claus gets 5 votes and MM gets 10 votes, but Kumatora gets 13 votes, then Claus essentially gets robbed if Kumatora is named the winner...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

If Claus' and Masked Man's combined votes are greater than Kumatora's votes, but separately lower, then who is the winner here?

Claus and Masked Man are functionally the same person, and listing them separately like this has created votesplit. So now if Claus gets 5 votes and MM gets 10 votes, but Kumatora gets 13 votes, then Claus essentially gets robbed if Kumatora is named the winner...
From my understanding, isn't Claus the person that Masked Man used to be before traumatic experiences change him? You could make a case that before Claus went through his "re-education", he was very much like Lucas. Since MM uses a sword I think it already disqualifies him as an Echo, but Claus is from a point in his life when he didn't know how to use those I assume.

Basically, it's like if Zelda got kidnapped by Ganon and then brainwashed into becoming Sheik, then sent after Link to kill him. Zelda and Sheik are the same person, but transformed physically and remolded mentally to be a different character. Because of that, I'd count the votes separately.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice

Based off of how previous Echo votes were counted (See: The Mewtwo Echo vote), then Claus and Masked Man would be combined. So in your example Claus/Masked Man would be named the winner.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i voted for tails, not because he makes the most sense for sonic's echo but cause he's my favourite sonic character

now dedede nominations well there's the dedede clones from robobot and shadow dedede from triple deluxe

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh boy, what timing when one of the most incredible leaks in recent weeks JUST appeared and it showed Shadow. lol

Anyways I'll nominate.... wait, I have no CLUE who'd work for King Dedede...

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Voted for Classic Sonic, but I'd love Shadow too
For Dedede, I really don't know

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Let's be honest, Shadow works perfectly for Sonic's echo in fact I kinda expect him to be playable as such. Metal Sonic would have been my actual choice but he's less likely

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Voted for Shadow.

I don't think Dedede has a viable echo.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I want Tails.

All Tails needs as a difference is Peach's float and a difference for the up throw animation. I don't think anyone is expecting that he'd need unlimited flight - even the characters with wings don't have unlimited flight. Tails has shown that he had canonically used most of Sonic's current moveset in games since Sonic's current kit is based more on the older set of games. Yes, he should get the Isabelle treatment, but I think that she might be the exception, not the rule.

Yes, Shadow's more obvious, but I want my little fox. After all, wouldn't Shadow also 'need' to have his chaos abilities?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I want Tails.

All Tails needs as a difference is Peach's float and a difference for the up throw animation. I don't think anyone is expecting that he'd need unlimited flight - even the characters with wings don't have unlimited flight. Tails has shown that he had canonically used most of Sonic's current moveset in games since Sonic's current kit is based more on the older set of games. Yes, he should get the Isabelle treatment, but I think that she might be the exception, not the rule.

Yes, Shadow's more obvious, but I want my little fox. After all, wouldn't Shadow also 'need' to have his chaos abilities?
Not really, Shadow doesn't need to have Chaos abilities to fight.

As I mentioned before since evey echo has to do each a button move Tails wouldn't look right doing Sonic's f air move which requires quills to look right not to mention his tails required more body frames and polygons and his flying animation would require unique animation so I don't believe Tails can work as an echo at all.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I've never really liked tails and shadow was cool back in the day, I'd be down to see him and it'd make sense. All you'd really need to do is swap out his up special with mewtwo's and change the running animation. Some more chaos moves would be cool and some moves like down smash or up air would look kinda silly on him but shadow's a pretty silly character anyway, I could live with it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
As a staunch Tails supporter, I will say that I would much rather he get playable in Smash before Shadow.

But if we're talking Echo fighter standards, Shadow just makes more sense then any of the other candidates in this poll. We already have Dark Pit and Dark Samus among them. Shadow is essentially Dark Sonic in all intents and purposes.

Metal Sonic is literally the only other viable option that's listed. And he's just not as popular as a choice for Smash that Shadow is.

It does kind of hurt that Shadow stands more of a chance at base game then Tails does, but I'm somewhat confident regardless what happens to Shadow. Tails can get in as DLC as a semi-clone.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm just buying into leaks and hype too much, but I stuck with Shadow. It makes sense and it'd work OK. Is Shadow who I want to be the second Sonic rep? Oh my no. I'd much rather Tails or Eggman, but I'll take Shadow as an echo.

Now, for Dedede. It would be a tricky echo, but what about either Dark Matter or Susie Haltmann? With Dark Matter there's a canonical thread (Dedede getting possessed by Dark Matter and the boss battles of possessed Dedede), however in style he's closer to Meta Knight. With Susie, I think her father is the one with the solid gold hammer, but Smash has blurred character lines before and she could work out... okay, not perfect, but okay.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Shadow, easily, he's just be too perfect. Metal Sonic as the runner up and Classic Sonic takes home the bronze medal.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Shadow
I nominate Bonker(The Kirby Enemy that has a Hammer) as King Dedede Echo

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Let’s face it. Samari ain’t getting in. But this thread is supposed to be fun, so I suggested him. He would be very cool to see in smash. Just imagine the look on Aaronitmar and Billy’s faces!

For Dedede, I nominate Haltman because he could have a slightly different moveset, based on more recent Kirby games.

Supalji

Smash Rookie
Tails should be semi clone if anything
Shadow over metal sonic for a little more personality

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I voted Tails. Shadow might be more obvious, but I like Tails more and he could work fine enough as a Echo with a Up B.

As for Dedede, there’s no viable option. Bonkers is a cute idea, but he can’t float.

Top Bottom