• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Community Echo Voting Thread: Part 48 Shulk

Who should be Robin's Echo?

• Total voters

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Since I'm already seeing quite a few go for Dixie...

I'm gonna nominate Donkey Kong Jr. After all, Diddy owes his existance to DK Jr., plus, that'd give Dixie a chance at the Isabelle treatment.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
We really should've given each Pokémon it's own poll, it did nothing but ruin the poll results.

Anyways I nominate Monferno for Diddy.
MONFERNO as a Diddy Echo?! Diddy with FIRE ATTACKS?!? This is amazing!

In light of this, I say a Ninjape from Jungle Beat. They throw shurikens (Neutral B) have tails (so we don't need to worry about the jab) and they're fond of using contraptions (so a Jungle Beat-styled Jet Barrel isn't implausible). Plus since they're monkeys that means Diddy's Side B and other monkey shenanigans are right at home on them. Plus they're voiced by the same guy who does Diddy's voice in the new DKCs.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
At first I voted Warturtle, Venusaur, MCX, but then I changed my vote to no viable choice because I can’t see the Pokémon trainer getting an echo.

For Diddy I nominate Lanky Kong and T.T.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Dixie would be the obvious answer but I'd argue she's distinct enough from diddy, as well as popular and relevant enough on her own to be unique, and after isabelle getting semi-clone status I have a hard time imagining Dixie would simply be an echo.

I'd go with DK Jr instead, he's essentially the redesigned DK Jr to begin with.

Last edited:

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Here's some Nintendo monkeys for variety:

-Salsa (Mother 3)
smashifiedsalsanostand.png
-Bubble Monkey (Earthbound)
bubblemonkeysmaller.png

-Porter (Animal Crossing)
acnlporter.png

-Monkey (Rhythm Heaven)
monkeyrh.png

smallyellowRHmonkey.png offbeatpinkmonkeyrh.png
-Ukiki (Mario Series)

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Wait... I thought it was supposed to be Echo voting thread for Diddy, I believe there's a mistake.

Anyway I like to say my piece of the subject, the Rhythm Heaven monkey would be a good fit for Diddy though I know it would be unlikely that would happen.

I know a lot of people think Dixie would fit for Diddy but I personally feel that she has enough potential to be a semi clone(or even possibly unique fighter) due to the fact that she's heavily dependent upon her ponytail for her attacks.

Late edit, I decided to change my answer, Diddy's move set was meant for him and him only. There's no valuable echo for him.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Wait... I thought it was supposed to be Echo voting thread for Diddy, I believe there's a mistake.

Anyway I like to say my piece of the subject, the Rhythm Heaven monkey would be a good fit for Diddy though I know it would be unlikely that would happen.

I know a lot of people think Dixie would fit for Diddy but I personally feel that she has enough potential to be a semi-clone(or even possibly unique fighter) due to the fact that she's heavily dependent upon her ponytail for her attacks.
Waiting for a Mod to update the poll.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well when the poll is up im voting for dixie, just rework the tail attacks for the ponytail and give her the bubblegum popgun and it should work

if i may nominate lucas echo i suppose ninten would work as would kumatora and claus

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Only viable echo for Lucas I think would be Kumatora but she's already deconfirmed. Ninten would be better suited for Ness and Claus can't use PSI at all.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
well when the poll is up im voting for dixie, just rework the tail attacks for the ponytail and give her the bubblegum popgun and it should work

if i may nominate lucas echo i suppose ninten would work as would kumatora and claus
So... I see the poll isn't updated yet.

At least it isn't for me.
Only viable echo for Lucas I think would be Kumatora but she's already deconfirmed. Ninten would be better suited for Ness and Claus can't use PSI at all.
Updated

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I would rather Dixie be a little more unique, but given we know Echoes can pull moves from various different characters and have some unique animations, I think Dixie could work fine as a Chrom-style Echo of Diddy. If she's like a Daisy- or Lucina-style Echo, then no thanks.

Still, I think if they decide to add her as an Echo, they will do her justice.

If Dixie DOES become a unique fighter, only then would the other options matter. Since I hate cross-series Echoes, I would just ignore those. That leaves... Tiny, Lanky, and Jr. If Dixie's unique, then Tiny would be her Echo. So Diddy's most likely Echo in that case would be... DK Jr, I guess?

Voting for Dixie as an Echo.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yes everyone wants Dixie to get the Isabelle treatment. As they also wanted for Dark Samus.

The point is that Dixie would work as a Diddy echo, just it would seem a waste of her abilities. But she’s definitely got the popularity and bodyshape for it.

Kudos for the RH monkeys though, that’s a good thought.

Masked Man or Claus are the obvious Lucas echoes, but we could also go for other characters like Kumatora or even some of the older Mother characters like Paula.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
You have to remember Dixie's body includes her huge hair hanging from her head. That difference is a larger difference vis-a-vis Diddy than Isabelle's body difference vis-a-vis Villager. So I do not think she could be an echo as we understand them now, even including Chrom.

You also have to remember that the body difference between Diddy and Dixie, Dixie's huge hair, isn't just aesthetics. It communicates a gameplay difference in its design. That has been the case in the DK games and I think it would be the case in Smash Bros.

I picked there is no viable echo for this character. Diddy's kit is too unique to him TBH. It would feel off if any of the choices listed were his echo.

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think about the body shape issue. Sakurai did say that one of the reasons Isabelle wasn't made an echo is that her proportions are different from Villager's after all. I changed my vote to no viable echo.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Voted no viable echo for Diddy. Yes they are similar size and body type, but the thing that sticks out in regards to Diddy vs. Dixie is Dixie's ponytail pure and simple. There are mods in which Dixie is placed over Diddy and it doesn't feel like Dixie at all. Diddy's repertoire doesn't suit Dixie in the slightest. TBH it would feel weird seeing Dixie do cartwheels, throwing banana peels, and getting your face, etc. The only viable echo from the DKC games is Funky.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Voted no viable echo for Diddy. Yes they are similar size and body type, but the thing that sticks out in regards to Diddy vs. Dixie is Dixie's ponytail pure and simple. There are mods in which Dixie is placed over Diddy and it doesn't feel like Dixie at all. Diddy's repertoire doesn't suit Dixie in the slightest. TBH it would feel weird seeing Dixie do cartwheels, throwing banana peels, and getting your face, etc. The only viable echo from the DKC games is Funky.
that's exactly why salsa from mother 3 is the perfect choice

Last edited:

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
While I know that people want dixie to be unique, I really don't see how it could happen, so I would want her as an echo
For Lucas, I don't know, Masked man? I haven't played Mother 3

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
You have to remember Dixie's body includes her huge hair hanging from her head. That difference is a larger difference vis-a-vis Diddy than Isabelle's body difference vis-a-vis Villager. So I do not think she could be an echo as we understand them now, even including Chrom.

You also have to remember that the body difference between Diddy and Dixie, Dixie's huge hair, isn't just aesthetics. It communicates a gameplay difference in its design. That has been the case in the DK games and I think it would be the case in Smash Bros.

I picked there is no viable echo for this character. Diddy's kit is too unique to him TBH. It would feel off if any of the choices listed were his echo.
Just wanted to take the time to say this is a really great point! I've never heard this brought up, but it's so true. I mean Isabelle's hair was enough to have her differentiated from Villager, so that rule would probably apply to Dixie & Diddy

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As far as I've come to experience Dixie over my years, she's shown to be distinctive enough from Diddy Kong in her playable appearances, something I've found increasingly confusing for this entire community to be ignorant of. Probably it might be due how both Kongs share similar body builds and how there's easy huddling of similar-looking characters to be labeled as clones of others, and how it fits thus to a tee for them to be such in Ultimate as well. It's kind of sad because I rather see everyone pop in with something enough unique to bring into the table.

To showcase why Dixie being an Echo feels so clashing and unappealing concept to me, here's a video of how it could look like in practice, based on Ultimate's general treatment of Echo Fighters:

Compare that to how she moves, and uses her innate abilities in canon:

The thing about Dixie becoming Diddy's echo would mean she'd be moving, acting, and playing exactly as Diddy Kong (in-your-face monkey scrapper) - but if you played her in the games she's in, you could see that she's little too elegant and subdued character compared to Diddy Kong, to just pass for borrowing stuff from him (like how :ultdaisy: was forced to, yeesh).

Another difference with Dixie and other Echoes (sans Richter) is that she has build quite a legacy for herself, enough to spawn a related expy in DK64 and grown her own character and combat abilities as result. To sweep that all away just to make it easy to add her in would feel big slap in the face for her fans, and probably elicit more false impressions of her being the Daisy to Diddy Kong's existence - and Smash's influence can be at times damaging to certain characters as I've seen (:ultwario:, :ultridley:, :ultchrom:)
It'd be even worse with Isabelle apparently being given more preferential treatment, which'd make Ultimate's development and overall claim in being true to characters feel lousy lies at times.

On that end, I personally would find it upsetting that Smash would popularize Dixie being "Girl Diddy" to a point her ponytail, the most iconic trait about her bar none, would just end up a mere aesthetic look to her over time.

On other choices for Diddy as Echoes, they all seem little difficult to envision as Diddy's Echoes in a seamless fashion as I wish them to be, i.e :ultrichter:. DK Jr. might feel most "thrown-in" that'd not offend anybody, but I think I'd prefer Richter to DK Jr-esque additions anyday.

Perhaps Salsa might feel most funnest addition, and pay tribute to his prominent role in Mother 3. But I'd be rather preferring Paula as Ness's Echo - yet she's now in his FS... bummer.

Anyway, I voted "No Viable Echoes".

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Echo wouldn't work for Dixie. Even with a different upB (if they used DKs) it wouldn't. Yeah, "technically" it could work, they have similar body shapes. But it would look very, very weird and I'm really sure Sakurai wouldn't do that to Dixie. Some moves could be shared, sure - she would work as a semi-clone.

Obviously I've voted for no viable echo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I voted for No Viable Echo. Transplanting all of Diddy's attacks on Dixie's body doesn't work with her. She relies on her ponytail extensively, for movement, grabbing, throwing and attacking. And while Diddy fights like a wild scrapper, he doesn't use his tail for even half the stuff Dixie uses her hair for, not even canonically. The generic monkey antics fit fine on him because outside of the guns and jetpack, that's what he's good for. Some of that would work on Dixie, but certainly not all. Her main selling point since '95 is over-reliance on her ponytail. To have a proper moveset in Smash they need to reflect this, and reskinning Diddy's tail moves won't be adequate. Diddy has a grand total of 2 tail attacks in his entire set; unlike his girlfriend Diddy barely relies on his tail. Semi Clone like Wolf, Lucas, Isabelle or Luigi, etc are reasonable compromises that can please all sides.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I'm also in the camp that doesn't see Dixie as being an echo, so I ended up voting for Salsa. What can I say? I just want more of the Mother series in Smash (and I fully recognize that it's more likely we'll get Porky or Ninten, as we should).

Speaking of the Mother series... I second Kumatora as Lucas' echo. Other characters such as The Masked Man I don't think would quite work as an echo, at least not for Lucas (now Masked Man as a Mega Man echo? That I might be able to get behind), but Lucas is already a semi-clone which puts him in a bit of a precarious situation (I also believe he's a degree too far for Ninten to also work as an echo for him).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's no viable Echo for this character.

All these generic monkey character being listed is actually quite disrespectful. It won't work. Even Dixie wouldn't work realistically.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Lucas Echo: Voted for Masked Man. Who is Claus. But he doesn't get much in the way of a battle skillset until after he becomes the Masked Man, so that's who the main fighter should be.

Lucas and Masked Claus don't fight in the EXACT same way, so I'd kind of like to see Masked Man get some tweaks to at least one or two of his specials to make him work more in-line with his Mother 3 appearance (and of course give him the sword instead of the stick/bat), but overall, the build and movement style works well enough that I think a solid Echo could work here. (Also adds some more Villain representation, which is always a plus!)

Kumatora is also a solid option, but since Claus and Lucas are literally twins, I feel Claus is the more appropriate Echo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Shadow is the only viable option for a Sonic echo. Tails does not make sense as an echo after Sakurai's recent comments after Isabelle and in fact Tails should stand a chance to be a semi-clone once DLC starts. I've entertained the idea of a Tails echo prior to those comments. But I am now steadfast that Tails doesn't have to be an echo, but Shadow certainly can and should.

The only other character that might work for an echo is Metal Sonic. But Metal is not nearly as popular as Shadow. And between options like Dark Samus and Dark Pit, Shadow is essentially a dark Sonic. It just makes sense.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Shadow is the only viable option for a Sonic echo. Tails does not make sense as an echo after Sakurai's recent comments after Isabelle and in fact Tails should stand a chance to be a semi-clone once DLC starts. I've entertained the idea of a Tails echo prior to those comments. But I am now steadfast that Tails doesn't have to be an echo, but Shadow certainly can and should.

The only other character that might work for an echo is Metal Sonic. But Metal is not nearly as popular as Shadow. And between options like Dark Samus and Dark Pit, Shadow is essentially a dark Sonic. It just makes sense.
sakurais about why isabelle want an echo didnt make any sense

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I voted Kumatora for a Lucas echo. It's true Claus and Lucas are twins and maybe if he was a Chrom-like echo which took moves from Mega Man and incorporated them into the Masked Man's Moveset it could work, but I'd rather see Kumatora and she'd be a much cleaner echo.

As for Sonic- it's not quite my series so I'd go with the obvious choice and say Shadow. I don't think it's what anyone really wants (Shadow fans would want him to have Chaos Control powers of teleportation and the like, right?), but I think it's most likely. Though for a more interesting choice... Mighty the Armadillo?

now nomination for a sonic echo, tails by far
Not to sound rude, as that's certainly not my intention, but I'm curious as to how you see this working? Again, Sonic isn't my series so I don't know that much about Tails, but isn't he more of a gadgeteer as opposed to Sonic's Speedster?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think Kumatora works best for a Lucas echo.

Now for the big one - I want to see Tails. All he needs is Peach's float in addition to Sonic's moveset. Sonic's current kit is really reflective of the early games in the first place, so all of his moves would look natural on Tails as well. Yes, Tails would be better as a semiclone the way Dixie would be and Isabelle was. But if it gets him in, I'll take echo.

Shadow's the obvious one, but I want Tails. Will talk more about the topic when it's active.

Top Bottom