• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Call for Writers

callforwriters.jpg

Smashboards is looking for volunteers for our writing team! With all the new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate information and news unfolding over the coming months, we’re looking for all the help we can get from writers who can cover it.

We’re also looking for writers to handle news and articles about several other games, their tournament scenes and more. This complete list of games includes:
  • Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Other Smash Content
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Rivals of Aether
  • Other Platform Fighters (Slap City, Brawlout, Brawlhalla, etc)
  • Various Nintendo Titles
The types of articles we’re looking for include, but are not limited to:
  • Tournament previews and results pieces
  • Players getting signed
  • Coverage of notable content creators
  • Event coverage
  • Discussion pieces (e.g. Information on a controversial topic encouraging discussion)
  • Editorials
  • Informative pieces (e.g. “Who is Richter Belmont”)
All writers are expected to produce at least one article per month to maintain contributor status. Applicants may specify to apply to write a “guest article” instead.

If you're looking for a chance to join the largest Smash-centric publication on the web and can produce articles about the Smash community in a timely manner as topics emerge, please submit an application for our writing team. We can't wait to hear from you!

Author's Note: Will you be submitting an application? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

As the Content Manager for Smashboards for a while, I'll just throw this out here: If you're feeling doubt about this but you're considering it, take the plunge. A lot of our best/top contributors just kinda took a stab at it and went for it, and the learning experience they all got was invaluable. The learning experience I've had can not be stated enough, and each week there's always more to learn. So, again, go for it and take the plunge. The worst that can happen is that we'll say no.

Last edited:
"Even in a book, sesame street... will always have a potty molth *sound from Elmo's potty time book*" 10/10 journalisim NBC news 1990 somethin'
(I don't wanna write though. that was NBC)

Last edited:
Is it completely necessary to list your real name? This is probably a stupid question; I'd love to apply but I'm not super comfortable using my real name for many reasons.

Is it completely necessary to list your real name? This is probably a stupid question; I'd love to apply but I'm not super comfortable using my real name for many reasons.
Most likely yes considering all the articles have a person's real name, their handle, and an image of themselves below.

D
I’d love to apply, but I think my age might be an issue here..
D’you think I could write an example article for review?

Would love to do this, but I don't think I'd have the time. Writing's the easy part; the work that goes into writing a piece is what I don't have time for.

Do it anyways. If you get accepted, we can hash out details among as long as you make stuff clear in the app. (your reasons). If you're a good writer and you have the passion for it, we'll find a way.

I’d love to apply, but I think my age might be an issue here..
D’you think I could write an example article for review?
Go for it. Also apply anyways - we've had underaged writers on board before.

sorry im a fiction writer id be of no help
I applied as primarily a fiction writer, I'm still primarily a fiction writer and I'm still here so...

Would love to do this, but I don't think I'd have the time. Writing's the easy part; the work that goes into writing a piece is what I don't have time for.
?
do it.

Is this position paid?
Smashboards is looking for volunteers for our writing team!
Bolded the word you're looking for. Apply if you haven't anyways and give it a shot - really, you've nothing to lose.

View attachment 211812

Smashboards is looking for volunteers for our writing team! With all the new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate information and news unfolding over the coming months, we’re looking for all the help we can get from writers who can cover it.

We’re also looking for writers to handle news and articles about several other games, their tournament scenes and more. This complete list of games includes:
  • Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Other Smash Content
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Rivals of Aether
  • Other Platform Fighters (Slap City, Brawlout, Brawlhalla, etc)
  • Various Nintendo Titles
The types of articles we’re looking for include, but are not limited to:
  • Tournament previews and results pieces
  • Players getting signed
  • Coverage of notable content creators
  • Event coverage
  • Discussion pieces (e.g. Information on a controversial topic encouraging discussion)
  • Editorials
  • Informative pieces (e.g. “Who is Richter Belmont”)
All writers are expected to produce at least one article per month to maintain contributor status. Applicants may specify to apply to write a “guest article” instead.

If you're looking for a chance to join the largest Smash-centric publication on the web and can produce articles about the Smash community in a timely manner as topics emerge, please submit an application for our writing team. We can't wait to hear from you!

Author's Note: Will you be submitting an application? Let us know in the comments below!
Does this pay?

I'm writer. I type.

Send it then.

I'm certainly interested, but I have no idea what to write for my writing style example.
Uh, if you've got like anything we'll take a look at it. In the past, some applicants we sent sent us stuff ranging from papers they wrote in school to creative stories they've worked on.

Does this pay?
Smashboards is looking for volunteers for our writing team!
Bolded the word you're looking for. Apply if you haven't anyways and give it a shot - really, you've nothing to lose.

Send it then.

Uh, if you've got like anything we'll take a look at it. In the past, some applicants we sent sent us stuff ranging from papers they wrote in school to creative stories they've worked on.

(Time)

I'd love to contribute but I don't really know how, sadly. I'm a fairly literate writer (usually in RP things, though I do have some kinds of available formats lying around) but I don't know where to start, sadly.

I did this a while back as well but due to losing my computer I don't really have ANY references to my writing at all. Feel like that could put a hindrance on me but I'll send one for the hell of it anyways.

Research, interviews. Generally staying on top of things.
If you feel it's too much and won't be able to muster up the energy, then don't. If you're passionate about it, I'd give it a go

(You can put us on your resume)
The application is a really short process, and the interview itself is honestly pretty painless and lenient.

Regardless of what you choose, go chase down your life goals.

I'd love to contribute but I don't really know how, sadly. I'm a fairly literate writer (usually in RP things, though I do have some kinds of available formats lying around) but I don't know where to start, sadly.
Send it all over. We can go from there.

Sometimes a blank slate is best. Zerp Zerp came on the team with no idea what he'd write about and he became one of our few editors.

I did this a while back as well but due to losing my computer I don't really have ANY references to my writing at all. Feel like that could put a hindrance on me but I'll send one for the hell of it anyways.
I look forward to seeing this.

There's not supposed to be any post-app confirmation correct? Just to confirm mine successfully went through.

I submitted an application. How do I know if I'll get selected and where would I need to share my content?
Hi!

1) We just accepted/rejected our first batch so anyone who submits after that will be on our second batch - they'll get an email at s ome point
2) Wait, what? Elaborate more - I'd love to answer.

Can I write article?
Like, just an article?

Hit me up. My DM's are open.

Hi!

1) We just accepted/rejected our first batch so anyone who submits after that will be on our second batch - they'll get an email at s ome point

Like, just an article?

Once I finish writing an article, what should I do with it?

Should I send it to someone specifically? Should I just post it on the site? How is the step by step?

Once I finish writing an article, what should I do with it?

Should I send it to someone specifically? Should I just post it on the site? How is the step by step?
You post a Google Doc on our discord server -> we edit it, you do revisions -> you get it approved -> you're then able to post it as a post on the website

Anything before that is really kinda up to the writer. we either have articles we throw out as assignments or writers pitch an article until we approve them.

Hi!

Like, just an article?

Ya i wanna write an article on how bad puff is for melee

Top Bottom