• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Applications & Moving Forward in 2016

2015 has been a great year for the Smash community and Smashboards with progress being made on multiple fronts. If you haven't read it yet, please check out the SmashBoards Year End Update for the full scoop. As the site moves forward in 2016 a hard look has been taken into reshaping the structure of staffing on the website. With new features comes new responsibilities which requires time and effort from the community. The site will now offer applications for volunteers to help the site and the community.
SmashBoards Team Positions
One of the biggest changes in site structure is the expansion of various project teams on the site. In the past responsibilities were mostly left to moderation and forum staff. With the Smashboards Rankings, Smashboards Writers, and more features being added to the site the opportunities to help out have become diverse and abundant. Please note unless noted, all positions are on a volunteer basis.

You will notice the following options available:
Writing Team - Headed by the new Editor in Chief @SmashCapps, the writing team is a great place for those who want to expand on their journalism portfolio. With so many changes and developments in the Smash community plenty of untapped content exists to write about.
  • This team position will offer incentives. $2,000 in funds have been allocated towards this group for 2016.
Editing Team - The editing team falls within the scope of the writing team and the two groups work closely with one another. In order to improve the quality of articles having proper editors who can quickly review articles for breaking news and more is vital to help the team succeed. This team is also included within the scope of the incentives mentioned for the writing team. This team would report to @SmashCapps.

Podcast Team - SmashBoards ventured into the podcast realm in 2015 offering a new way to share content. With the announcement of Smash Weekly alongside Source Gaming the opportunity to join a great team is there. This team will also closely coordinate with the writing and editing teams. This team would report to @SmashCapps.

Rankings Team - With tournaments becoming both more frequent and much larger the effort necessary to document these events and use the information to create a data-driven ranking of players from across the globe for all smash games. With the overwhelming majority of events being grassroots this effort is an ambitious task to complete and a team effort is necessary. With opportunities to be a regional or global rankings team member, users are able to either focus on their own scene or larger tournament event documentation. This team reports to @Locuan.

Social Media Team - With large growth both for the Smashboards Facebook and Twitter accounts and the increase in social media activity for the Smash scene as a whole the importance of a presence on social media is important more now than ever before. If you want to expand your own background and experience utilizing social media platforms and have a talent for these mediums and more, then this new team being developed would be perfect for you. This team would report to @Locuan and work with other teams to coordinate releases and information about the site and smash scene at large.

Media Library Team - The goal of the Media Library falls hand in hand with the goal of the Smashboards Rankings: proper documentation and easy access to information about the smash scene. However instead of tournament results, this would focus on getting playlists and highlights into the Media Library where they can be easily accessed, sorted and viewed.

Events Team - With a new Events system in addition to the existing Tournament Listings Smashboards remains one of the best methods of reaching new players for local tournament scenes. In order to help keep events organized and easy to navigate this team would focus on helping approving events in the queue as well as make they are properly tagged and organized.

SmashBoards Individual Positions
These positions are more independent and would focus on other aspects of the site. Included within here are moderator applications. While moderators generally work on their board independently, the staff as a whole does communicate and work with one other closely. Please note unless noted, all positions are on a volunteer basis.

Forum Moderator - Moderators work closely with one another and are expected to collaborate with other staff members to ensure proper enforcement of the site Terms of Service. Applications are marked as an individual position as moderators focus on specific sub-forums. This position requires the user to be both active and responsible on the board requested as well as the site as a whole.
  • This position will offer incentives. $1,000 in funds have been allocated towards this group for 2016 in the form of a raffle pool for active and contributing staff members.
Human Resources - This position would be responsible for helping with staff relations as well as issues and disputes presented in Forum Support.

Graphic Design - This position would be for helping create graphics and designs for various teams and parts of the site as necessary.

Quality Assurance - This position would be responsible for researching any back-end problems and implementing solutions.

Research/Analytics - This position would be responsible for helping to gather information and data not only about the website but about the smash community as a whole in order to help with future projects.

Xenforo Administrator - For those with experience in programming, coding languages, and forum software who wish to help the site expand on the back-end.

General Applications - If nothing else fits your personal talents or style but you feel there is a way you can contribute to the site as a whole then you may fill out a general application.

Tips & Feedback

Also included within the applications are options to submit News Tips and Site Feedback. If you have a breaking news story in the smash scene you'd like to privately relay to the writing team, you can do so here. Or if there is something you feel needs to be covered by the news team that isn't then this is a way to express that. You may also directly give us feedback on how you would like to see the site improve in the future. Please remember that Forum Support exists for any problems you are experiencing on the site or disputes you might have with another member.

Moving Forward

All of these opportunities would not be available without the strong passion those in the Smash scene have for the game. The scene is starting the year off in a big way with Genesis showing the strength of the community and with Nintendo helping to partner with the event. Smash continues to be a lifelong passion for many in the community and Genesis helps to show that with over 200 entrants for Smash 64 (released in 1999) and nearly 2,000 for Melee (released in 2001) it's clear there is a passion for the game. In addition the strength of the this scene shows attraction for new players who in addition for being responsible for helping Melee reach new heights also helped to catapult Smash for Wii U to over 1,000. Smash for Wii U isn't all new faces though, with many recognizable faces being from the Brawl scene (released in 2008). What this all shows is that in addition to attracting tons of new players each year, the games have helped to form lifelong bonds within communities and between players. Smashboards hopes to continue to help build the community and remain a valuable resource for players, tournament organizers and more.

In October of last year I moved from being the Director of Staffing on the site to the SmashBoards General Manager. This year will mark my decade anniversary of being part of the community. The smash scene has remained a healthy outlet for friendly competitive competition and even with the trend towards eSports the grassroots connections are still alive and well. Records have been broken consistently the past few years and the future of the scene in 2016 looks bright. I look forward to helping the smash community and SmashBoards grow in 2016 and beyond and hope to see you all at Genesis and more events in the future!

Thanks for Smashing,
-ZV

A. "Xiivi" Brando Corsaro

Comments

D
Is it an absolute requirement to show your first and last names on the form? What if people want to apply, and aren't ready to show them yet?

Also, question: where can I access the application page? I'd gladly submit one, if they are being accepted.

Having done Forum Moderator work elsewhere before I'd like to let people that are applying for such positions know some things before submitting a form:
The Moderator position (or any administrative position) is not, by any means, a shiny title to "obtain". Please, please submit a form with the intention of being able to put up with members of the community and being able to cooperate with them and the staff in making this forum a home for everyone including guests that have yet to register as members.

Anyhow, I'd like to wish everyone who are applying to be Forum Moderators the best of luck!

Last edited:
I am hoping to moderate the diddy kong forums. They don't have a moderator right now, and it would be a good start for a newbie mod IMO. I think I have the qualifications, but there are probably people better suited for the job.

I am hoping to moderate the diddy kong forums. They don't have a moderator right now, and it would be a good start for a newbie mod IMO. I think I have the qualifications, but there are probably people better suited for the job.
You'll just have to keep your activity at the forums at a very positive position. Try to be a good influence towards others, and avoid receiving any warnings and/or infractions.

Moderator requirements are never set in stone, so all you can really do is just behave and wait for the staff to contact you.

Does anyone know how long these applications will be open? I kind of want to wait and see how this college semester will treat me before I apply for anything. :/

You'll just have to keep your activity at the forums at a very positive position. Try to be a good influence towards others, and avoid receiving any warnings and/or infractions.

Moderator requirements are never set in stone, so all you can really do is just behave and wait for the staff to contact you.
Thanks for the advice! I just think I can help, if someone else deserves the position, then please give it to them!

Does anyone know how long these applications will be open? I kind of want to wait and see how this college semester will treat me before I apply for anything. :/
Applications will remain open for individual and team positions until roles are filled. For individual positions this means they might get filled and disappear. For team positions they will likely always remain open unless a team meets a limit where we feel adding more would make things too difficult to manage. Regardless as people retire from their positions and move on, things may re-open and more positions may be available in the future. In addition general applications will always be available.

I sent an application, but I did not have an account when I sent the application. Would you still get the application if that is the case or do I have to resend it on this account?

Totally going to try out for a mod position i wont get.

Can never have enough sarcasm and puns from people in power right?

Last edited:
I sent an application, but I did not have an account when I sent the application. Would you still get the application if that is the case or do I have to resend it on this account?
Guests/unregistered users are able to send applications and we do get them yes. However they are not tied to an account when we receive them if that is the case.

Being a moderator means you can no longer ignore people, right? If that's the case then...I'll have to pass. D:

However, I am interested in the Graphic Design position as I have some ever-improving skills with Photoshop. Is there a quality requirement for your work and will I have to make graphics often or only as needed?

And what kind of general work experience if any is needed for Graphic Design?

Last edited:
I have to ask, what type of examples are needed on the
"Please link to some examples of your writing/posting/community involvement on the board"

Is it just posting or specific types?

I have to ask, what type of examples are needed on the
"Please link to some examples of your writing/posting/community involvement on the board"

Is it just posting or specific types?
Anything like research, guides, etc. Anything that is consider useful for helping people or helping to develop the meta game but it can be more than that. If you don't have any then you can leave it out. You can link some of your best posts that could considered useful for the Smash community like what i did.

Last edited:
Anything like research, guides, etc. Anything that is consider useful for helping people or helping to develop the meta game but it can be more than that. If you don't have any then you can leave it out. You can link some of your best posts that could considered useful for the Smash community like what i did.
Hm, alright, I'll look over and see what could be useful.

D
Yeah, I for one have posted two of my Welcome Center posts as examples for my application.

Is there a deadline here, will there be a post showing the people that got modded or is it gonna be shush shush and just check members > staff members to see the newbies that were accepted.
If no deadline then there's going to be a million applications forever if it stays up.

At least until people forget about it lol

Top Bottom