• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - January 31st

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
but the real reason vBrawl Lucario is bad is because he is extremely over-reliant on the brawl aura system. Like the brawl aura mechanic is similar to the X factor, where the more you've been outplayed the more it helps you. That's a fine mechanic on its own, but having to rely on it for optimal results is terrible, because the most optimal performance from you character should be when you're never outplayed. But if vBrawl lucario is never outplayed he's extremely weak and cant combo or kill. This sucks..
It wouldn't be as bad if he wasn't so weak to start. Honestly if he gets a buff to his minimum damage output it might not be so terrible, or even if his strength grows at a faster rate. The WORST case scenario is that all Sakurai did was increase the maximum percentage at which he receives a boost to his strength.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I thought he was really boring in Brawl and PM doesn't matter. A character obviously takes up development time and I think that time could be going into maybe not just another character, but something else entirely.
As a one time character, he's interesting, but I feel as if he's over staying his welcome now.
I'm also not a huge Pokemon fan but his design just seems incredibly silly. And what is with this "Aura" anyways?
I could get that he was in Brawl because he was a more relevant Pokemon at the time. Heck, he had a whole movie. But if I'm not mistaken, 2 generations have passed since his debut in Pokemon, right? Shouldn't it be time to have a more relevant rep?
He just really doesn't seem that interesting.
Lucario plays a role in the story plot of the new pokemon X and Y. So it makes since that Nintendo is keeping him in the game. Mewtwo still has a chance to get in the game. I am not a pokemon fan either but, I still can't see any other pokemon besides Pikachu, Lucario, and Mewtwo. If you want to talk about waste of character in my opinion when it comes to pokemon, its Jiggly Puff but thats just my opinion.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
which only makes his mechanic even dumber.

lucario's aura mechanic in an nutshell, basically "rewards" players for playing like crap; "so if i get hit more and play sloppy i get rewarded with more damage? :D" its a poor design that only encourages sloppy play, as opposed to discourage it.

making it stronger is just making the problem far worse.
Well the bad players will be instantly KO'd when they reach maximum power. You need to know how to use it giving and taking damage at the same time,

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
which only makes his mechanic even dumber.

lucario's aura mechanic in an nutshell, basically "rewards" players for playing like crap; "so if i get hit more and play sloppy i get rewarded with more damage? :D" its a poor design that only encourages sloppy play, as opposed to discourage it.

making it stronger is just making the problem far worse.
Well the bad players will be instantly KO'd when they reach maximum power. You need to know how to use it giving and taking damage at the same time

EDIT: Well, that posted twice

link2702

Smash Champion
Well the bad players will be instantly KO'd when they reach maximum power. You need to know how to use it giving and taking damage at the same time,
you're completely missing the point.

his aura mechanic by its very design basically encourages sloppy/bad play. it doesn't punish players for playing like crap, it REWARDS them instead by increasing his damage. It should of been something more along the lines of project M.

his design is basically trying to enforce the idea that its "ok to play sloppy cuz you just get stronger by it"

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well the bad players will be instantly KO'd when they reach maximum power. You need to know how to use it giving and taking damage at the same time
Exactly. Sure it seems like the mechanic rewards players for doing poorly, but at the end of the day if someone is THAT bad at the game they aren't going to be able to do anything with that gift anyway.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord

his aura mechanic by its very design basically encourages sloppy/bad play. it doesn't punish players for playing like crap, it REWARDS them instead by increasing his damage. It should of been something more along the lines of project M.
No but when they do reach that damage the bad players will be instantly KO'd anyway so what does it matter
Lucario plays a role in the story plot of the new pokemon X and Y. So it makes since that Nintendo is keeping him in the game. Mewtwo still has a chance to get in the game. I am not a pokemon fan either but, I still can't see any other pokemon besides Pikachu, Lucario, and Mewtwo. If you want to talk about waste of character in my opinion when it comes to pokemon, its Jiggly Puff but thats just my opinion.
I think we're just gonna get pika, mew2, luca, poke trainer and jiggs. I really don't see what the problem with jiggs is, she's one of the easiest characters to make

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
No but when they do reach that damage the bad players will be instantly KO'd anyway so what does it matter

I think we're just gonna get pika, mew2, luca, poke trainer and jiggs. I really don't see what the problem with jiggs is, she's one of the easiest characters to make
I can see Jiggly Puff coming back though, Pokemon trainer in my opinion isn't necessary. I mean 4 pokemon are fine for the roster.

link2702

Smash Champion

it matters because for any new players who want to seriously learn to get better at the game, his mechanic is basically failing to teach them the importance of NOT getting hit, its doing the opposite and just rewarding them with more powerful moves, that will only hurt their progress later on and just cause bad habits to form.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I can see Jiggly Puff coming back though, Pokemon trainer in my opinion isn't necessary. I mean 4 pokemon are fine for the roster.
I think pokemon trainer should come back, he represents the series like no single pokemon can and they are not gonna remove charizard, he's one of the most popular pokemon ever. Plus we have 5 mario and since they were on par in brawl why not now

Renji64

Smash Lord

his design is basically trying to enforce the idea that its "ok to play sloppy cuz you just get stronger by it"
This is my main issue with it. I'm losing hope for this series it seems like rewarding people for being offensive and skilled play is becoming a thing of a past or just stopped at melee. He is just as bad as pichu.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
This is my main issue with it. I'm losing hope for this series it seems like rewarding people for being offensive and skilled play is becoming a thing of a past or just stopped at melee. He is just as bad as pichu.

I see what you are saying, but this mechanic only applies to Lucario and not the entire game. If we take a look at Street Fighter 4 with the Ultra System Mechanic. This mechanic effects the entire game, if a player gets destroyed the entire game, their revenge meter fills and as a result they can use their Ultra and possibly make a comeback. This totally rewards people who gets their butt handed to them. Look at Marvel vs Capcom 3 X-factor mechanic, these are game changers. I think this mechanic for Lucario was something to give each character their own unique personality, if this was a universal mechanic in the smash franchise then I would worry, but its not so don't worry too much.

Look at the entire roster, each or at least most of the characters offer something different to the table especially Rosalina, she has a gameplay mechanic never introduced to the smash series and she is nowhere near similar to the Ice Climbers by the way Sakurai described how she works alongside Luma. Ice Climbers has the Synchronized gameplay, Kirby has copy mechanics, Pokemon Trainer has the swap pokemon in and out depending on their usage, Zelda switch between Sheik to fit the situations she encounters, and then you have Lucario damage output increase each and every time he flirts with death.

See, they are all individual traits that separates them from the rest of the cast, thats how I see it at least.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I see what you are saying, but this mechanic only applies to Lucario and not the entire game. If we take a look at Street Fighter 4 with the Ultra System Mechanic. This mechanic effects the entire game, if a player gets destroyed the entire game, their revenge meter fills and as a result they can use their Ultra and possibly make a comeback. This totally rewards people who gets their butt handed to them. Look at Marvel vs Capcom 3 X-factor mechanic, these are game changers. I think this mechanic for Lucario was something to give each character their own unique personality, if this was a universal mechanic in the smash franchise then I would worry, but its not so don't worry too much.

Look at the entire roster, each or at least most of the characters offer something different to the table especially Rosalina, she has a gameplay mechanic never introduced to the smash series and she is nowhere near similar to the Ice Climbers by the way Sakurai described how she works alongside Luma. Ice Climbers has the Synchronized gameplay, Kirby has copy mechanics, Pokemon Trainer has the swap pokemon in and out depending on their usage, Zelda switch between Sheik to fit the situations she encounters, and then you have Lucario damage output increase each and every time he flirts with death.

See, they are all individual traits that separates them from the rest of the cast, thats how I see it at least.
We all know that it was implemented to make lucario "unique" just like a lot of the other characters, its just that there were far better ways to make him standout and be unique than give him a poor mechanic that does the opposite of teaching players the value of avoiding being hit.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who doesn't care about his aura?
I like the character, and personally I consider the aura mechanic very unique.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Lol people are thinking Mewtwo's deconfirmed. At this point, I would assume Mewtwo would be a huge priority, in my opinion moreso than Lucario. Mewtwo will be revealed sooner or later.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lol people are thinking Mewtwo's deconfirmed. At this point, I would assume Mewtwo would be a huge priority, in my opinion moreso than Lucario. Mewtwo will be revealed sooner or later.
Agreed.
Mewtwo and Lucario duking it out is the ultimate fanservice anyway.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well it was mainly them and smash that made him popular in the first place
Still forced down our throats though. But I don't care. They pretty much need to annouce the whole Brawl roster because this is pretty much where it's going.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Still forced down our throats though. But I don't care. They pretty much need to annouce the whole Brawl roster because this is pretty much where it's going.
Great the brawl characters are mostly all unique (minus a certain 3, 1 being confirmed), and had their reasons for being there and still have their reasons

S5565

Smash Rookie
Yes!!! Finally started to add more pokemon characters! I don't understand why people are hating on a really unique Smash character...

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
We all know that it was implemented to make lucario "unique" just like a lot of the other characters, its just that there were far better ways to make him standout and be unique than give him a poor mechanic that does the opposite of teaching players the value of avoiding being hit.

I even understand what you are saying with your point, but that's not the objective of his mechanic. That's with any competitive game, lets even use a card game like Magic/Vanguard/Pokemon/Yugioh. The point of vanguard is to not let your life points reach 6 damage, just like in smash bros your goal is to avoid getting hit so you won't increase the chances of you flying off the stage resulting in death. But then you have that one card in Vanguard that gives you special perks when you receive more damage, your goal is to learn how to build a deck thats good enough to avoid certain attacks and damages but then you have those cards that encourages damages in order to receive whatever perk that the risk entails. Lucario is that monster card in smash brothers that encourages that type of play and only him, not the entire game itself but only him.

Its not about teaching players to avoid getting hit because thats not what the mechanic was designed for and its not like this mentality spills over to the player who decides to try other characters, but if it does then they shouldn't be playing this game to think something as silly as that. This character is obvious for risk takers, and those who harnesses him right will reap the benefits. I say bring it on, I am welcomed to this mechanic and by the way I never knew that was a trait that Lucario had in brawl since it launched and I could hardly tell the difference anyway.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Great the brawl characters are mostly all unique (minus a certain 3, 1 being confirmed), and had their reasons for being there and still have their reasons
Okay? Doesn't mean every rep in Brawl was perfect. Don't really care too much about uniqueness when it's becoming easier by each game.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Okay? Doesn't mean every rep in Brawl was perfect. Don't really care too much about uniqueness when it's becoming easier by each game.
Wouldn't you rather have a bunch of characters that play completely differently or a huge roster full of clones

Scatz

Smash Champion
Lucario is going to be a big hamper on SSB4 teams. Anubis strategy was borderline stupid, and with him being more reliant on aura boost, it's going to make it seem worse.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Lucario is going to be a big hamper on SSB4 teams. Anubis strategy was borderline stupid, and with him being more reliant on aura boost, it's going to make it seem worse.

Before we can make any really claims on anything we first have to see what was improved about it and second, play the game for ourselves instead making speculations that may not even be accurate.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Wouldn't you rather have a bunch of characters that play completely differently or a huge roster full of clones
Perfect individuality. Irrelevant. Very improbable. Lower priority with excess character placements. Meta-Knight imbalances Brawl for similar thought process. Potentially fixable in future games. Unknown skill level and tier for future and current newcomers.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Before we can make any really claims on anything we first have to see what was improved about it and second, play the game for ourselves instead making speculations that may not even be accurate.
It has been said that Sakurai has increased some properties of Aura so that a damaged Lucario is a stronger force to be reckoned with. Using the information I have now, I can comfortably say that his DBZ quirk of making him stronger as he gets hit more causes major issues in teams. That's using Brawl as a foundation for the statement. Granted that the ledge also played a factor, but it was still strong without the ledge.

Idk why you liked my post, then quoted me after saying that. It contradicts your statement.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
It has been said that Sakurai has increased some properties of Aura so that a damaged Lucario is a stronger force to be reckoned with. Using the information I have now, I can comfortably say that his DBZ quirk of making him stronger as he gets hit more causes major issues in teams. That's using Brawl as a foundation for the statement. Granted that the ledge also played a factor, but it was still strong without the ledge.

Idk why you liked my post, then quoted me after saying that. It contradicts your statement.

I liked the debates that's going on back and forth. If I'm wrong for doing that then I don't know what the say. Your opinion wasn't the only one that I liked.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I liked the debates that's going on back and forth. If I'm wrong for doing that then I don't know what the say. Your opinion wasn't the only one that I liked.
Oh okay. I was just confused since I didn't read previous posts and it seemed weird to like a post that sort of contradicts the said statement. XD

Rykard

Smash Ace
To be completely honest, I'm surprised they didn't reveal Rotom-W instead considering it is on every single Pokemon team in existence.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
it matters because for any new players who want to seriously learn to get better at the game, his mechanic is basically failing to teach them the importance of NOT getting hit, its doing the opposite and just rewarding them with more powerful moves, that will only hurt their progress later on and just cause bad habits to form.
You cannot be more wrong. With all do respect, who are you too preach about this character in the competitive community? What top players have you held your own against that use lucario? How many tourneys have you won with him? What are your contributions? You're spouting nonsense about something you don't understand.

Lucario starts off with the worst damage output in the game, and it gradually grows with power. If you want to make ANYTHING happen with this character you need to learn how to hold onto your stock and live to high percents so that you're character can stay at his fullest for as long as possible. If you "play sloppy" you're going to get KO'd and your character won't be worth jack again.

In order to be even remotely good with lucario you have to have solid DI, careful spacing, and be patient so you can hold onto your stock at high percent for as long as possible. Lucario encourages these fundamentals, not hinders them.

If your arguing that theres no reason to stay in low aura, that's also wrong. Lucario has some of the longest combo's in brawl while he's at low percent, and can literally drag fatties from one edge to the next. Damage wise, they're nothing special, but this also teaches players the value of stage positioning. That's the true reward of his combos. His gimping ability is also a lot stronger at low percent thanks to the reduced knockback of his f-air. So he also teaches how to net early kills at low percent when your smashes just arn't enough.

On top of this as well, we have no clue how smash 4 mechanics will work. Maybe characters will have easier combos or set ups into kills, rendering his aura power up necessary. No one knows, and it's far too early to start speculating and screaming CHEAP as is.

My apologies if i'm coming off as rude, but i'm getting tired of you spouting misinformation about something you don't understand. If someones plays lucario bad that's the players fault. Lucario, more then any other character gets better depending on how good the players fundementals are. If there trash, there lucario will be trash just like any other character.

Last edited:

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
You cannot be more wrong. With all do respect, who are you too preach about this character in the competitive community? What top players have you held your own against that use lucario? How many tourneys have you won with him? What are you contributions? You're spouting nonsense about something you don't understand.

Lucario starts off with the worst damage output in the game, and it gradually grows with power. If you want to make ANYTHING happen with this character you need to learn how to hold onto your stock and live to high percents so that you're character can stay at his fullest for as long as possible. If you "play sloppy" you're going to get KO'd and your character won't be worth jack again.

In order to be even remotely good with lucario you have to have solid DI, careful spacing, and be patient so you can hold onto your stock at high percent for as long as possible. Lucario encourages these fundamentals, not hinders them.

If your arguing that theres no reason to stay in low aura, that's also wrong. Lucario has some of the longest combo's in brawl while he's at low percent, and can literally drag fatties from one edge to the next. Damage why's, they're nothing special, but this also teaches players the value of stage positioning. That's the true reward of his combos. His gimping ability is also a lot stronger at low percent thanks to the reduced knockback of his f-air. So he also teaches how to net early kills at low percent when your smashes just arn't enough.

On top of this as well, we have no clue how smash 4 mechanics will work. Maybe characters will have easier combos or set ups into kills, rendering his aura power up necessary. No one knows, and it's far too early to start speculating and screaming CHEAP as is.

My apologies if i'm coming off as rude, but i'm getting tired of you spouting misinformation about something you don't understand. If someones plays lucario bad that's the players fault. Lucario, more then any other character gets better depending on how good the players fundementals are. If there trash, there lucario will be trash just like any other character.
This all of this^^^

Ignorant melee players really need to be quiet about characters and games they do not understand.

Top Bottom