• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U to be Included in the Rio de Janeiro eGames Showcase

Super Smash Bros. For Wii U has been confirmed to be present at the eGames "pop-up" event in RIo De Janeiro on August 15-16, alongside games such as League of Legends and SMITE.

The International eGames Committee
(IEGC), a non-profit organization subsidized by the government of the United Kingdom, has invited every participating country in the Olympics to field a team for the event. So far, the USA, Argentina, Canada, Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago are among those confirmed to compete this Monday, with more expected to follow suit.

The eGames is very similar to its Olympic counterpart in that they both share the same criteria. For starters, glory, rather than prize money, is paramount. The chief marketing officer of the IEGC, Chester King, further elucidates this point.

"In line with other globally established sporting events, the eGames will be a medal only competition, with no prize money, but the opportunity to take home gold for your country."

Mr. King also states that National Qualifiers are to be held in-between eGames years to determine each countries representative. "There will be an eGames Association set up in each country which will organise the national qualifying, which will have open heats and finals," says Mr. King.

The event kicks off on Monday, August 15th with SMITE but it is not until the 16th that Super Smash Bros. For Wii U sees its eGames debut. Familiar names are set to meet again, but this time with their home countries on their shoulders. Players such as:
  • Elliot Bastien "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce :4mario:, representing Canada
  • Leonardo "Leo" Lopez Perez :4metaknight:, representing Mexico
  • Larry "Larry Lurr" Holland :4fox:, representing the US
  • James "J. Miller" Miller-Igietseme:4luigi:, representing Great Britain

are to be present, and each are a huge threat to one another. The tournament is 8 man double elimination, so the full roster is yet to be announced. Ally is looking to make a statement after a third place finish at Clutch City Clash, and coming off a hot Smash Factor 5 win is Leo who is feening for a rematch with Ally after a 3-1 loss at GOML.

Leo vs Ally, GOML 2016
Hailing from the UK is J. Miller, a talented Luigi who won B.E.A.S.T 5 and is ranked second on the Smash 4 UK PR. And from Reseda, California is the USA's very own Larry Lurr who, after a 4th place finish at 2GGT: KTAR Saga, is determined to bounce back and take first place. And knowing his Fox, it is all too probable.

Everything will be streamed by ESL. Richard "Keitaro" King and Maximillian "Max Ketchum" Krchmar are scheduled for commentary.

The first full eGames will be held in Pyeongchang County, South Korea during the 2018 Winter Olympics and Toyko, Japan in the 2020 Summer Olympics.

For more information, stay tuned on Smashboards.

Last edited:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Guys, I'm a TO here in Sao Paulo, Brazil
I have friends in Rio that want to see this event or even have a chance to play with them, also some are Top players here in Brazil
could anyone pass me more details about this event?

Last edited:
D
That moment when you realize the crowd's not cheering for you...

It would be marvelous if any of this players played with the brazilian scene. We will have a good tourney in São Paulo the next weekend, and if any of the players could stay for this tourney, would be incredible.
I'm HYPED to see the brazilian champion, P7, play against them in this event. Hope it happens.

As someone from Argentina, I'm really looking forward to seeing this event. It would be the very first time for an argentine player to play against world class players, so it will be nice to see how it goes!

As someone from Argentina, I'm really looking forward to seeing this event. It would be the very first time for an argentine player to play against world class players, so it will be nice to see how it goes!
funny enough HBOX was actually asked to rep Argentina for smash 4, and Leffen for Sweden lol (they both declined the offer, for obvious reasons lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom