• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U seems better polished than Ultimate don't you think?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Ultimate is making way too many characters unlockable, adding unnecessary characters such as Daisy and Pichu, merged Charizard with Pokemon Trainer again and has paid online to top it off.

This game tbh only deserves to rank 4th out of the 5 home console games, above the game that nobody cares about nowadays known as Brawl.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
What's the point of comparing a Smash game not even out yet to other Smash games?

Boredatwork

Smash Rookie
1) Unlockables are a plus for many, it pushes you to play the single player, which is an integral part of the game, I'll have you remember.
2) The "unnecessary" characters are either low-effort characters (Daisy) or fit the theme of bringing everything from the past games together (Pichu, Wolf, Toon Link), it gives the game a distinct persona as it is a celebration of Smash as much as it is a celebration of Nintendo.
3) I'd argue that merging Charizard with the Pokemon Trainer again is a good thing, creates a unique character with a unique mechanic.
4) Paid online has nothing to do with how polished a game is.

Last edited:

LucR

Smash Rookie
First of all, the game isn't even out yet.
Secondly, game having more content isn't evidence a game is unpolished.
Third, this post will be irrelevant if the Green mode really is a story mode.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
1) Unlockables are a plus for many, it pushes you to play the single player, which is an integral part of the game, I'll have you remember.
2) The "unnecessary" characters are either low-effort characters (Daisy) or fit the theme of bringing everything from the past games together (Pichu, Wolf, Toon Link), it gives the game a distinct persona as it is a celebration of Smash as much as it is a celebration of Nintendo.
3) I'd argue that merging Charizard with the Pokemon Trainer again is a good thing, creates a unique character with a unique mechanic
4) Paid online has nothing to do with how polished a game is
I like unlockables but having to unlock 4/5 of the roster one at a time gets annoying eventually.
I like Wolf and Toon Link but Pichu and Young Link are unnecessary and don't need to be brought back. Also, you might as well make Daisy take up one of Peach's colours if they will both play the same way.
I like the concept of Pokemon Trainer but that should be an all star VS mode
Paid online doesn't really have anything to do with polishing a game, but it seems to be an unnecessary step.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Toon Link is only an evolution of the very basic concept of Young Link, not Young Link.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Charizard on his own was a horrid decision. A true nerf from his Brawl days, where Squirtle and Ivysaur were far better characters.

Bringing back all the characters that everyone likes is nothing but a good thing.

I'm always pro-unlockable characters myself, but I can understand why someone, from a tournament point of view, would not like that. Still, the game isn't made for that particular audience, it's just one that's been accepted by them.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ultimate is making way too many characters unlockable,
Characters can be unlocked with amiibos. If you already have an amiibo from your SSB4 days, use those. If not, you can purchase amiibos or unlock the characters for free.

adding unnecessary characters such as Daisy and Pichu, merged Charizard with Pokemon Trainer again and has paid online to top it off.
Unnecessary to you. Sure, I don't think Daisy's addition was necessary, but others might. I prefer Raichu over Pichu, but Pichu was originally in SSBM. I agree with you on having Charizard as its own character. It's more popular than Squirtle and Ivysaur. Oh, and as for online, it's only $1.67 per month if it's just for you. That's not bad. Netflix charges more per month.

This game tbh only deserves to rank 4th out of the 5 home console games, above the game that nobody cares about nowadays known as Brawl.
SSBB wasn't a good competitive game, but it wasn't a bad game.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
The game feels more like a tribute to other games when you look at it. They're focusing on the competitive scene and nostalgia more than anything else which takes away from your definition of "polishing the game".

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Characters can be unlocked with amiibos. If you already have an amiibo from your SSB4 days, use those. If not, you can purchase amiibos or unlock the characters for free.
Is that really confirmed? Isn't the only proof we have for amiibos unlocking characters right off the bat from Best Buy "leaking" it on a now edited page?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It really pains me to say this as a Zard main, but Charizard kind of lived in Bowser's shadow back in the days of Smash 4. On the other hand I love transforming gimmicks, so even if it's implemented poorly (which I don't think it will be this time) I'll main the whole trainer trio anyway.

Having a small starting roster is also a great decision for new players who might be unfamiliar with the franchise. It makes the whole 70+ character choices seem far less intimidating and allows them to explore new characters one by one without being overwhelmed.

Paid online has nothing to do with Smash itself, that's just the direction the Nintendo Switch is taking. Whether or not it'll be an improvement over the Wii U's free service has yet to be seen, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's the Best Buy leak I was referring to.
I knew that, but is it a 100% fact that it's possible to unlock characters with amiibos? The Best Buy leak in question edited their page afterwards, so I'm not sure if it's absolutely confirmed that they do. Might just be a mistake on their part.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I knew that, but is it a 100% fact that it's possible to unlock characters with amiibos? The Best Buy leak in question edited their page afterwards, so I'm not sure if it's absolutely confirmed that they do. Might just be a mistake on their part.
I can't say, although I wouldn't be surprised if the edit had to do with preventing that information from remaining to be disclosed.

D

Deleted member

no

Rated 4th out of 5th? I mean you have your own opinion but what the hell?

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Ultimate is making way too many characters unlockable...
Smash 4 had unlockable fighters, but the amount was so little, and they were so easy to get that the process was ignorable. You can unlock all 12 unlockable fighters in just 120 versus matches on the 3DS version. It's an afternoon of playing basically, and it's even easier on the Wii U version.

Something every long time smasher including myself has gone through a process of unlocking a good chunk of fighters. It was enjoyable seeing silhouettes of the fighters in a spaced out manner in my opinion. Having all fighters have to be unlocked is a small burden to some people, but it gives nostalgia to the long time players, and I think it is good for the game considering more than half of the starter fighters are fairly easy for new players to pick up.
...adding unnecessary characters such as Daisy and Pichu...
:ultpichu: has to return because of the whole "Everyone is Here" promise Sakurai gave us, and he gives good nostalgia to the Smash Melee days. :ultdaisy: has been well requested for quite some time, and even though it isn't exactly what I wanted, she still will make a good edition to the roster. I wouldn't exactly call either of them unnecessary characters.
...merged Charizard with Pokemon Trainer again...
Again, "Everyone is Here". Sakurai made the promise, and he is ready to deliver. Plus, :ultpokemontrainer: was a cool concept of a fighter back in Smash Brawl, but was botched by Type Advantages, the Stamina mechanic, and extensive lag on Pokémon Changing. Fixing the crap that made him bad can give him another shot at being a good character.
...and has paid online to top it off.
This one goes against the competitive focus. Without a good online service, people have a harder time practicing competitive play. I'm not going to write an essay explaining economic decisions and the opertunity costs of utilizing paid services versus free services because I don't have the time right now, but it has been explained that charging for online services is the correct decision for Nintendo both from a business and a consumer standpoint many times over in the threads you have created to complain about paying the $20.

I'll even link some of them for you. I suggest you thoroughly read the counter arguments others have written.
- Link 1
- Link 2

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think I lost 3 brain cells reading the OP's post. The fact that this dumb as heck thread hasn't been closed yet is beyond me.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Most things you said are pretty subjective.
  • Daisy may be unnecessary for you, but her fanbase is big.
  • "Everyone is here" but not bringing back Pichu? That would go against the very premise of the game
  • I for one never liked Charizard solo, it as part of Pokémon Trainer always felt better to me
  • Paid online is not a Smash Ultimate thing, is a Switch thing altogether
  • And yeah I understand some people being upset with having to unlock the entire roster, but I personally like unlocking stuff. I think they should put an option or something to unlock everyone at least in VS mode tho
Plus how can you rank something that isn't even out yet? lol

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ultimate is making way too many characters unlockable, adding unnecessary characters such as Daisy and Pichu, merged Charizard with Pokemon Trainer again and has paid online to top it off.

My god I’ve never read so many bad opinions in a single post.

Also why is paid online on this? Sakurai had nothing to do with it.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
My god I’ve never read so many bad opinions in a single post.

Also why is paid online on this? Sakurai had nothing to do with it.
Pretty sure this is the guy from the posts complaining about the online and thinking it will never improve.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You could just get SSBU with all the characters with no unlocking necessary. I enjoy unlocking brand new characters. Characters you find unnecessary others might find great. I would have never brought Pichu back, but he's here, and nothing about that is going to change until maybe the next Smash game, which won't be for a long time, or never. Brawl obviously isn't the best of the Smash games, but there are people who love it specifically because it's their first game, nostalgia, and the one game where they first went to tourneys. SSBU could be the worst, but I'm still buying it and playing it.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
OP got me thinking... was I the only one that disliked that Smash 4 gave us so many characters straight out the gate?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ultimate is making way too many characters unlockable
I always took it that starting off with the original 8 is a homage or reference to the first game where you began with them. I get what Sakurai is trying to do there. If it makes you any better he did say that unlocking characters will be more steamlined which means the following possibilities.

1. Amiibo
2. Vs. matches (Say like per 10 matches you unlock a character)
3. Spirits
4. Buying at a store
5. Playing on a certain stage (Once playing on a Mario stage you unlock Peach) and beating Classic Mode with certain characters (Unlocking Dark Samus by beating Classic Mode with Samus)

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
OP got me thinking... was I the only one that disliked that Smash 4 gave us so many characters straight out the gate?
No. If you were the only one, then Sakurai would have given us all characters straight out the gate in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I find sad is that with Charizard being part of the Pokemon Trainer again, it loses its Mega Charizard X Final Smash; Mega Charizard X was among the most notable mega evolutions in the Pokemon series.

And while Smash Ultimate is doing away with Final Smash transformations, Mega Charziard X actually has more in common with Super Dragon than with the true Final Smash fighters.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Nope, that was one of the many things I hated about that game, unlocking characters was so fun and exciting, I was even more excited when Sakurai said at E3 that we would only start out with 8 characters in Ultimate.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, polish was something really lacking in both installments of Smash 4. It felt like there was considerably more jank to me than in previous games, even Brawl - and not the good kind where you might develop some kind of fancy new tech out of it. The bad kind, where a move's hitbox and its animation are so far apart from each other that it felt like I just had to KNOW that certain moves hit behind characters, or above them, or whatever. Not to mention I feel that Cloud and Bayonetta were extremely poorly handled from a balance perspective, and that's kind of a bad look for paid DLC characters.

Now Ultimate obviously could have all of these problems and more, but we can't really know that for sure yet. But personally, I'd be more than willing to bet that this game is worked on EXTREMELY carefully - the Switch is an actual console that actual people buy, as opposed to the Wii U, and many of the technical limitations imposed by the 3DS are no longer a problem. I think that they're going to do everything in their power to make this game last and succeed. And not to mention, they're working with Smash 4 as a base (which, despite me ragging on it earlier, is a very fine game), taking it and improving it. The issues I have with it may well be addressed. They may not. New ones may arise in Ultimate, who knows? Too early to say.

Top Bottom