• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Video Splitter - a desktop application for splitting large video files

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Smash Video Splitter v1 beta
by Tess

If you hate using twitch's youtube uploader, or you hate trying to find the right video editing program to cut up your 6 hour video file, then this program is for you.

Smash Video Splitter allows you to specify a whole bunch of timestamps for individual videos that you want to separate from a large video file. It takes some of the hassle out of splitting massive 6 hour tournament video files. It works with video files of any format. It's meant to be used alongside a video player such as VLC or Media Player Classic that displays timestamp information. It requires ffmpeg to run.

It's essentially a fancy frontend for ffmpeg with some error checking so you don't accidentally try to split things backwards. Smash Video Splitter does not perform any conversion and should be able to split any valid video file with valid timestamps. Conversion of individual segments is best handled by Youtube itself after uploading, so you don't need to worry about it. If this all sounds confusing, just check out the screenshots below and you'll get the idea.

This software requires ffmpeg in order to work. Due to licensing issues, ffmpeg is not distributed with Smash Video Splitter.

Windows binaries for ffmpeg may be acquired from the following link:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-latest-win32-static.7z

The ffmpeg archive above can be extracted using 7-zip. It is a great archiving program that I highly recommend installing.
http://www.7-zip.org/

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Download the latest ffmpeg 32 bit windows binary from the link above.
2) Extract the ffmpeg.exe binary from the bin folder to the same folder as Smash Video Splitter.exe
3) Start Smash Video Splitter.exe

If you fail to follow the installation instructions, you'll probably get an error like this:

So please follow the installation instructions :)

FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY:
If you'd like to use the ffmpeg binary in other applications in your own scripts, I recommend putting the ffmpeg binary in a dedicated location (such as C:\ffmpeg) and adding this location to your Path. You can find guides for how to do this on Google.

USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Use the browse button at the top to select a valid video file you wish to split, or type in the path to the video file yourself.
2) Play the large video file in a separate video player. In the table, record the timestamps of each segment you want to split. The program will ensure that you do not have overlapping or unordered segments, so make sure you put all of your desired segments in chronological order with the correct timestamps. This is done to ensure accuracy since the program is meant to be a "set and forget" kind of deal.
3) To clear the current splits from the table, use the "Clear Splits" button.
4) To save the current splits in the table, use the "Save Splits" button. I recommend saving the splits as the name of the tournament whose video you're chopping up.
5) To load splits that you've previously saved, use the "Load Splits" button. This will clear all existing splits in the table.
6) Once you've entered timestamps for all of your matches, click the "Start Splitting" button. You'll be prompted to select a folder for saving the split video files. I recommend creating a new folder for that tournament.
7) The program will call ffmpeg on the command line, split up the videos according to your specified timestamps, and save them to the specified output folder.

SCREENSHOTS:
On startup:

After selecting a video file and entering split times:

COMING SOON:
1) GUI Redesign (it's yucky, sorry)
2) Automatic youtube uploading, including several new fields to make the uploader's job much easier.

REACH FOR THE STARS:
3) Built-in video player
4) Automatic detection of set start and end times based on matches played, and some crazy heuristic algorithm to determine who's playing, eliminating the need for watching the videos altogether (the dream)
5) Linux and mac ports? Not really a priority though, sorry.

FEEDBACK/SUGGESTIONS/BUGS:
If you have any feedback, suggestions, or find any bugs, please report them to me at tdude51@gmail.com or send me a message on Smashboards. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

jbvh

sicdf
4) Automatic detection of set start and end times based on matches played, and some crazy heuristic algorithm to determine who's playing, eliminating the need for watching the videos altogether (the dream)
You could do this as a fairly straight-forward frame template pattern matching if you want. Use the character select screen with no controllers and match to that within a high confidence. Use the frames that match it the closest as a split. That should give you reasonable sets if you assume BYOC.

Last edited:

Bouyer

Smash Rookie
Based.

Bob and I will definitely be using this a lot, so we will probably mod it and give you tons of feedback.

Top Bottom