• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64, Melee, PM & Wii U Smash United: BattleGrounds results! A Texas Smash 4, Melee, and PM regional!

Krebs

Smash Journeyman

Smash United BattleGrounds was a success!
128 entrant cap met for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, 125 entrants in Melee making it the BIGGEST MELEE TOURNAMENT IN HOUSTON HISTORY! With the PM event reaching its 64 cap! A HUGE THANKS goes to all of the volunteers that ran pools, the great smashers that brought setups, and to all of the out of city talent from DFW, ATX, Louisiana + more for making the trip out!

Without further adieu, the results

Smash Wii U Singles: 128 entrants, top 32 results
Battlegrounds Smash 4 Singles (Top 32)
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
SU | The Wall
$2,690.00
2nd
Karna
$1,076.00
3rd
TLOC Denti
$753.20
4th
MJG
$484.20
5th
SU | Trela
$188.30
5th
Dojo | BC
$188.30
7th
Samsora
7th
T.T.N. | Mellow Dragon
9th
mbohne
9th
Captain Zack
9th
SaSSy
9th
samboner
13th
Whispy
13th
Jerm
13th
DJ Fliphop
13th
Avoid
17th
deluxemenu
17th
Mikeffect
17th
Mew^2
17th
Funny
17th
Weegee
17th
Gnes
17th
KJ
17th
Cyanide
25th
Arjuna
25th
Tipy
25th
Hyrule Hero
25th
Naptime!?
25th
Jumbolias
25th
Gamma
25th
Ry
25th
SaeSae

Full singles pools and top 32 Challonge

Top 4 Teams in Wii U Doubles (40 total teams)

1st: Karna:4sheik:+ SU | Trela:4ryu:
2nd: MJG:4villager:+ Lucy:4tlink:
3rd: SU | The Wall:4yoshi:+ MikEffect:4ness:
4th: Weegee:4mario:+ Wenis:4luigi:

Doubles Finals bracket

Doubles was split into 2 bracket waves of 20 teams, with the top 2 surviving

Doubles Wave A bracket

Doubles Wave B bracket

Melee Singles: 125 entrants, top 32 results
Battlegounds Melee Top 32
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
VGBC | Redd
$715.00
2nd
Uncle Mojo
$286.00
3rd
AG | Arc
$200.20
4th
Jake13
$128.70
5th
Thoraxe
$50.05
5th
XY | Tuesday
$50.05
7th
FX_DFW | Hamyojo
7th
Mouf
9th
JF
9th
SJKF
9th
BFJ
9th
Rayzorium
13th
Worth
13th
JWu
13th
Panda
13th
JediJake
17th
AnhPr0
17th
Stripes
17th
CnB | Chandy
17th
Dawn
17th
AG | KBarry
17th
Noc
17th
Timerbomb
17th
TSC
25th
ChrisRN
25th
Sunny
25th
Kohai
25th
Tadeo
25th
JonJon
25th
Pogo
25th
Aperature
25th
Sunflash

Singles Pools were done in person and will not be uploaded.

Singles bracket: (Top 8 Payout) http://smashunited.challonge.com/BGMeleeSingles
1: VGBC | Redd:foxmelee::falcomelee:
2: Uncle Mojo:foxmelee::falcomelee::falconmelee:
3: AG | Arc:marthmelee:
4: Jake13:falcomelee:
5: Thoraxe:foxmelee::luigimelee:
5: XY | Tuesday:icsmelee::sheikmelee::marthmelee::foxmelee:
7: Mouf:peachmelee:
7: FX_DFW | Hamyojo:sheikmelee::foxmelee:
Doubles results: (Top 4 payout) http://smashunited.challonge.com/BGMeleeDoubles
1: Uncle Mojo+Jake13:foxmelee:+:falcomelee:
2: Dawn+BFJ:foxmelee:+:luigimelee:
3: AG | Arc+AG | KBarry:marthmelee:+:jigglypuffmelee:
4: Mouf+Thoraxe:peachmelee:+:foxmelee:

Project M Singles: 64 entrants, top 16 results
Battlegrounds PM Top 16
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
DrinkingFood
$370.00
2nd
VGBC|Redd
$148.00
3rd
Fuzz
$103.60
4th
Rayzorium
$66.60
5th
Vaerix
$25.90
5th
Dawn
$25.90
7th
.jpg
7th
NK
9th
WG|Hctaz
9th
Darkgun
9th
ToT
9th
Fearless
13th
Gooch
13th
PlateProp
13th
Nabz
13th
Nam

Characters and doubles results will be added tonight.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ATTENDING! We've heard countless great feedback and we will improve even further when we bring you all the second SUB event! Keep your eyes peeled for BattleGrounds 2!

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Shoutouts:

SU | The Source - Thanks for hosting this event. Glad to see how far its come.

SU | The Legend - Legendary TO and organization skills

Jumbo - Great job in teams, 5th out of 40 is really good.

SU | The Wall - Thanks for showing how broken Yoshi really is. Maybe the other Yoshi mains will stop complaining... lol

Karna - Good seeing you from Dallas, congrats on the sponsorship.

Hyrule Hero, Mew^2, Xanzy - It was cool meeting you guys. I may hit up Dallas sometime in the future.

Everyone else I played with - GGs

Overall it was a good tournament. There were a few things that I wanted to share though.

I've never been a fan of Top 2 pool brackets because when there is an obvious 1st seed, the winner's set between 2nd and 3rd seed doesn't matter at all because very likely they will be meeting in loser's finals later anyway (and that's the set that counts). I think doing a top 3 is much better if you consider doing pool brackets again. There were more than enough open setups throughout the tournament to justify a top 48 instead (top 3 from each pool) and considering you had to hold up round 2 matches because of doubles anyway, it wouldn't really make that much of a difference timewise anyway.

I might be a little biased in saying this though, since I've never had a good experience with pool brackets. This time my entire singles tournament experience was Me vs Tipy (won), Me vs Samboner (lost), Me vs Tipy again (lost). I was also told that all sets are Bo3, including finals within pools. I could have gentleman agreed to a Bo5 set with Tipy the second time I played him, but there are no rules obligating this. If you are going to stick to a top 2, I really recommend making pool finals Bo5 or forcing continuation sets to be Bo5.

That aside, I thought the seating/setup arrangement was really awkward. By no means is it something new for me since I've seen it at RIP City weeklies. I understand that because the room is designed in a U shape, it can be hard to arrange setups in a way that is conducive to everyone in the room. However, some setups were placed in really silly places and could have been better placed. For example, on the left hand side of the room there was a small monitor that was placed at the very edge of the table (and the table was in the outtermost row). There was only one chair available for this setup because there was a setup placed right next to it taking up all the space. On the right hand side of the room towards the back row was a huuuge LCD monitor that player had no choice but to sit right in front of since there was it was placed in the back row, blocking off traffic on the right side and making it difficult for players who can't deal with a huge screen right in front of their face. I'm sure there are other examples of similar cases, but I definitely think there is room for improvement in this area.

What could we do instead? IMO, I think it would be best to place the bulk of setups/monitors on the second to last row, that way the back row won't be as congested and gives people who don't like sitting right in front of the monitor an option to sit farther away. If you took a close look, there were lots of empty spaces and particularly towards the center row areas. Take account the number of chairs available per setup (should be minimum 2 right in front of the setup). I am by no means complaining about anything, just wanted to give feedback in some areas that I felt could be improved. I think it was awesome and I look forward to Battlegrounds 2!

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Bracket pools (much like 2 stock) shave off alot of time, but obviously make for a lesser competitive experience.

Seed 2 and 3 dont always fight each other twice. If there is a notable skill gap, round robin turns out in a very obvious fashion as well.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Knife - Pssssssh, Yoshi isn't OP at all. I don't even have a single confirm kill setup remember?

Last edited:

DSkro

Smash Rookie
NNID
DSkro87
Bracket pools (much like 2 stock) shave off alot of time, but obviously make for a lesser competitive experience.

Seed 2 and 3 dont always fight each other twice. If there is a notable skill gap, round robin turns out in a very obvious fashion as well.
Actually Tesh, assuming there are no upsets 2nd and 3rd seeds will ALWAYS fight each other twice. Obviously upsets happen but 2nd seed fought 3rd seed twice in 10 of the 16 pools we had so it definitely happened alot. Hell in my pool 3rd seed (me) fought 2nd seed (Hyrule Hero) AND 6th seed (Furbs) twice.

Honestly I think the problem is the size of the pools being too small. If we had had 8 pools of 16 with the top 4 (top 2 winners/top 2 losers) seeding into top 32 winners/losers it would be impossible to get double eliminated by someone and probably wouldn't impact how the tournament was run at all. If anything it would be shorter because you are cutting out round 1 winners from the finals bracket.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Well yea, thats what I was saying. Upsets are what prevent the bracket from going "as planned". If seeding is accurate, 2nd seed always beats 3rd seed twice and loses to 1st seed twice.

I think you should just ditch the bracket pools and run one massive bracket like TGC did. Its hard to lose to the same person twice in a massive bracket without getting really far.

Obviously this makes it impossible to do waves and its tougher to run. Can't please everyone.

So I guess I'm just in favor of a more extreme version of "make the bracket bigger". Little bracket pools just set you up to fail against possibly 1 matchup or player that counters you instead of finding out who is strong overall. I saw it at MLG (wall vs ryo) and I'm sure it happened here too.

Big brackets are chaos, and chaos is fair.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I'm more in favor of the bigger pool size. It's still organized that way and you can still split it. Requires less overall pool leaders to manage things. The way this one was ran kinda just kept all of the people we figured who would be top 16 away from each other in the early game which one giant bracket could do the same thing as well. This offered some people more chances though as they could've lost once in pools, then still lost twice in bracket before being eliminated.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I think a bigger pool bracket or a big regular bracket would be better too. I've historically always been 2nd or 3rd out my pool whenever Top 2 pool brackets happen and been on both sides of the spectrum, it's like:

"I won against X in winners and lost to X in losers? Damn, I lost the wrong set."

"I lost against X in winners and won against X in losers? I guess I chose the right set to win."

"I lost against X in winners and lost against X in losers? Unfortunately that I am so terrible against this player/matchup that I can't move forward."

"I won against X in winners and won against X in losers? Good thing X is pretty good and I am very good at playing against X."

I understand meeting again in bracket also occurs in regular bracket, but it is extremely unlikely and happens pretty late into bracket, so I wouldn't mind that. When this happens in pool brackets, it occurs at an early stage of the tournament and is pretty likely to happen when the pool itself is small or not stacked. Pool brackets work out a little better at nationals since they are more stacked and upsets are more likely to happen within pools, but it doesn't necessarily work for regionals/locals like BG.

Things that could fix this, or at least lower the likelyhood seed 2 and 3 meeting twice assuming pool brackets continue? Bigger pool brackets, less individual pools overall like Dskro said could work, with more people making it out (I like the idea of top 4, because there shouldn't be any repeat sets before that). Keeping the pool size the same size, but letting top 3 instead of top 2 also works if it can work in the schedule. Just my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:

DSkro

Smash Rookie
NNID
DSkro87
Knife8193 Knife8193

Having pools made the tournament so much simpler logistically that I honestly think we should do them any time we have a >100 person bracket.

- only half the players need to be there at one time
- thus only half the setups needed
- very short wait for losers bracket matches
- 0 need to police the setups for friendlies or keep track of where matches are played
- probably a dozen other great advantages

The ONLY issue was the rematches in pools which my suggestion eliminates. The best part is that the logistics would be almost the same as what we actually did. If we had just combined seeds A/B, C/D, E/F, and G/H in Wave 1 you would have had 16 man pools with 4 tvs each and roughly the same number of games played while eliminating rematches.

I honestly see 0 downsides to doing it this way.

Weegee.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Weegee92
Let me start by saying that I enjoyed BattleGrounds a lot and thought that it was run well. The Smash United team and everyone else that helped run the event should be proud.

Now for some criticism. I'm not a fan of the UofH room layout. The fact that the chairs are attached to the tables and could only go so far back made most of the set ups feel way too close for comfort. And sitting all the way back meant there would be little to no walking room behind the players so there were a couple of times where I was bumped into during a tournament match(nothing extreme or anything, just a minor annoyance) because someone needed to walk by. Are there any plans of future events being held in a more open room with set ups along the walls? I feel like those types of set ups are optimal for tournaments.

Anyways, good stuff again SU team. Shoutouts to the NEW GEN winners finals AND grand finals that took place and of course shoutouts to The Wall The Wall for taking the whole thing. Can't wait until the next one :)

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Let me start by saying that I enjoyed BattleGrounds a lot and thought that it was run well. The Smash United team and everyone else that helped run the event should be proud.

Now for some criticism. I'm not a fan of the UofH room layout. The fact that the chairs are attached to the tables and could only go so far back made most of the set ups feel way too close for comfort. And sitting all the way back meant there would be little to no walking room behind the players so there were a couple of times where I was bumped into during a tournament match(nothing extreme or anything, just a minor annoyance) because someone needed to walk by. Are there any plans of future events being held in a more open room with set ups along the walls? I feel like those types of set ups are optimal for tournaments.

Anyways, good stuff again SU team. Shoutouts to the NEW GEN winners finals AND grand finals that took place and of course shoutouts to The Wall The Wall for taking the whole thing. Can't wait until the next one :)
Weegee I love your avi

Top Bottom