• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate to Receive Tournament Event Featuring Smash 4 Newcomers

smash 4 article.jpg

Nintendo has just announced the latest tournament event for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which will feature newcomers from Smash 4. This tournament will only allow characters, stages, and items that made their debut in Smash 4. Along with the announcement came a colorful image featuring all of the Smash 4 newcomers together.

The Smash 4 tournament event will start on Friday, July 24th, and last for 3 days.

Editor’s Note: Who is your favorite Smash 4 newcomer? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Okay, so why the crap are they using Female Robin again when Male Robin is the default? She also seems to get bias in the menu icons.

Last edited:
D
Does anyone even play Diddy Kong or Bayonetta in Ultimate these days?

I like how :ultwiifittrainer::ultvillager::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultmegaman: in the event banner are posed similarly to their appearance in the SSB4's official poster:

1595389153738.png

Interestingly enough,:ultrosalina:'s pose in the event banner is actually taken from the 3DS version's official box art:

1595389339551.png

Last edited:
Okay, so why the crap are they using Female Robin again when Male Robin is the default? She also seems to get bias in the menu icons.
Because Female Robin tends to be more popular/well-received than Male Robin. I mean, Female Corrin is considered to canon while Male Corrin isn’t by fandom, and Female Byleth is widely more liked than Male Byleth. They probably looked at the numbers and stats, saw people playing as female Robin, and decided to go with her since they wanted Corrin in their Dragon form.

Because Female Robin tends to be more popular/well-received than Male Robin. I mean, Female Corrin is considered to canon while Male Corrin isn’t by fandom, and Female Byleth is widely more liked than Male Byleth. They probably looked at the numbers and stats, saw people playing as female Robin, and decided to go with her since they wanted Corrin in their Dragon form.
Unfortunately that's a dependency between Smash and the actual FE fanbase that prefers Male Robin. Either way, the others went with default designs, as far as we can tell, so, really, they should have used Male Robin if just for consistency; don't see them using a different Villager. Good grief, they already made her a face of the FFA tourney (and the tips as well as the only designated Robin tile on the challenge board), but this too? They did at least give him the...electric themed one? But still, as far as official stuff goes, they should stick with defaults. Not to mention that FFA banner.

Also, I think the Byleths are more split...except in Smash where of course they go for her. But even then, you can't really prove one is more popular than the other. Sure, the YouTubers may prefer the females, but they are an incredibly small portion. It seems to be perpetuated by people seeing them more so they assume they are more popular, but being used by more notable people doesn't necessarily mean more popular. Given how the polls usually go, there is certainly a case for Male Robin's popularity.

Also, I'm not even sure if they bother to track stuff like that. The game doesn't at least. It cannot tell me whether I use Olimar or Alph more.

Last edited:
Almost none
:ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultwiifittrainer: in particular but also :ultbayonetta1::ultpacman::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultlittlemac::ultgunner: occasionally.

Smash 4 had so many of my faves.
None of mine, which one of the reasons why I bought a 3DS very late. I think the only inclusion I was glad to hear about was Pac-Man. And I didn't buy any DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom