• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Style Pokemon Game (Would You Want It?)

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Whenever a series other than Mario gets more characters when they already have many there are some people that complain the franchise should just have its own version of the game. Now, this topic isn't here to argue that but to explore the 'what if' of a Pokemon game that was based around this Platform Fighter genre.
The franchise has already explored the fighting game space with the likes of Pokken so it'd be interesting to see this other take on a fighting game genre and with the popularity of both Pokemon and Smash Ultimate I think the idea could be successful.

Mechanics:
If they really wanted this game to stand out from the other Platform Fighters out there they should incorporate some of the things that make other Pokemon games so distinct. First off, there would be several different ways to play the game as there'd be many types of modes, including many from Smash Ultimate.
Skirmish (Triple Tag Team Battle);
The primary mode which would introduce two primary mechanics involving your entire team of 6 Pokemon. 3 of your pokemon would act as a single 'stock' or life but can be swapped between, kinda like Pokemon Trainer in Smash Ultimate, except they each maintain their own damage percents.
Two of your other pokemon act as 'Assists' which you can call in at anytime as additional aid in the battle and what they can do can vary greatly between Assist Pokemon but they will enter a cooldown after usage until they can be activated again. These 'Assist' Pokemon would often be more obscure, friendlier, or 'weaker' Pokemon, taking inspiration from Pokken, Sun/Moon Totem battles, and Smash Ultimate Assist Trophies.
Your last Pokemon acts as your 'Super' comeback move or attack which needs to be 'charged' first before you can use it. This 'Super' Pokemon would often be a Mythical or Legendary.

Story:
The story would take place on a small island with scarce resources and as such life is rigid. This means even the variety of Pokemon on the island is somewhat lacking but the island's people still have a deep desire for dynamic Pokemon battles (which harken back to Sumo Wrestling with a spin) so to solve this most trainers have to 'rent' Pokemon for their battles.
Your trainer does start with the game with a specific set of 6 Pokemon though which you can use free of charge. All Pokemon can have different 'special moves', much like the 'custom moves' in Smash4. This means your 3 starting fighting Pokemon can be taught different specials to mix up their moveset a little as you pay to teach them the moves. As for Pokemon you rent, this greatly increases the variety of specific Pokemon 'on the market' so a 'favorite' feature is added to easily find Pokemon you like using that are for rent.
In order to not assign a specific value to the Pokemon, the rate at which you rent them at can vary greatly from time to time but is often influenced depending on where your at in the game.
Combined with items you might want to buy and use, this requires careful money management on your part as you defeat other Trainers in the Arena. The Arena's themselves are most comparable to the ones you saw from the XYZ anime League battles.
Another way the difficulty of the game could be increased in later battles is through the opponent's usage of battle items such as; Revives which give an extra stock on the selected Pokemon, Potions to heal health mid-match, and various items Pokemon can hold from the mainline games. All of which could be bought from a shop which you could use in early to mid story battles but when nearing the tail end of the game you won't have this luxury.
Of course, the region has a champion and your end goal is to face and defeat them.

Fighters:
All existing Pokemon in Smash Ultimate, including;
Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar
Most of the fighters from Pokken like;
Garchomp, Empoleon, Decidueye, Machamp, Gardevoir, Weavile, Scizor, Blaziken, Braixen, Suicune, Blastoise, Gengar, Aegislash, Darkrai, Chandelure, Croagunk
Many of the other Starters, such as;
Typhlosion, Swampert, Infernape, Samurott, Serperior, Emboar, Chesnaught, Delphox, Primarina, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon
And many various Pokemon;
Eevee, Ampharos, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Dragonite, Zoroark, Toxtricity, Breloom, Miltank, Rotom, Marowak(Alolan), Luxray, Gallade, Electivire, Absol, Gliscor, Kricketune, Excadrill, Froslass, Darmanitan, Galvantula, Heracross, Tsareena, Zeraora, Melmetal, Kommo-O, Eiscue, Grapploct, Sirfetch'd, Morpeko, Ledian, Buizel, Archen, Hawlucha
There are many more Pokemon I could mention with moveset potential but these are the ones I thought would make good fighters, whether they were popular or gimmicky while also maintaining a relative variety in playstyles, typings, and overall representation of the generations. Its a fairly big 'roster' at 70 but I wanted to showcase as many Pokemon as possible while staying close to Smash Ultimate's number of fighters.

Assist Pokemon:
Magikarp, Bidoof, Meowth, Clefairy, Ditto, Dedenne, Meganium, Grovyle, Staryu, Wooloo, Mr. Mime, Xatu, Orbeetle, Chatot, Togedemaru Cacnea, Flygon, Reuniclus, Skuntank, Torkoal, Shedinja, Mawhile, Castform, Leavanny, Meowstic, Whimsicott, Ludicolo, Ribombee, Vivillon, Butterfree, Beedrill, Victreebel, Electrode, Weezing, Tangela, Gourgeist, Throh, Sawk, Oricorio(all 4 forms separately), Hoopa(confined), Meloetta, Genesect, Poipole, Zamazenta, Jirachi, Victini, ect...

Burst Pokemon:
Omastar, Bisharp, Blissey, Porygon, Vespiqueen, Ninetales, Tyrantrum, Aggron, Metagross, Tyranitar, Torterra, Entei, Magearna, Marshadow, Tapu Koko, Groudon, Kyogre, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Blacephelon, Guzzlord, Ho-oh, Lugia, Rayquaza, Zygarde, Necrozma, Eternatus, ect...

What do you think? Is this something you'd like to see? Have any ideas or additions in line with this? Or would you do some things differently and if so then how?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I'd like to see a playable Meowth with its aura involving "coins". Perhaps even throw in some gadgets to make stand out from other fighters, have it talk ect, Basically being the TR one given Weavile has the "Mainly claw fighter" moveset. Wobbuffet would make a fantastic assist over it.
I'd be really glad to see Sirfecth'd.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I hate it.
lol! I knew you would. At first I was going to put it in as a character on my list with you in mind but I couldn't bring myself to do it in the end.

But hey, I'd love to see what your list of characters would look like for this sort of game so feel free to do so and add Meowth in as well :p

leppy

Smash Cadet
I'd play it, yeah. Probably still main ivysaur, even. Would stages be larger to accomodate large quadrupedal pokémon? e.g. arcanine

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
1. What kind of Pokemon Evolutions would be involved? Would you fight as Squirtle, Wartortle, or Blastoise?

2. Will there be items?

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'd play it, yeah. Probably still main ivysaur, even. Would stages be larger to accomodate large quadrupedal pokémon? e.g. arcanine
Most likely. Something the size of Pokemon Stadium would probably become the norm while some stages could potentially be even larger.
1. What kind of Pokemon Evolutions would be evolve? Would you fight as Squitle, Wartortle, or Blstoise?

2. Will there be items?
1. This depends on the amount of work and resources the developers and producers are willing to put in. If I had any say then my answer would be yes. In the story mode most of your starting pokemon would likely be ones that could evolve if you so chose. Most of the Pokemon that could evolve in this game would be starters.

2. Yes, though they would be like Pokemon Held items from the main games and this could be turned off just like in Smash. In story mode this would be similar to how you equipped 'spirits' which could give you certain items to use or buff yourself.

Top Bottom