• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Speculation Chart (UPDATES DESPERATELY NEEDED; AEM MISSING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It could easily just be coincidence, considering other characters lost palettes between Smash 4 and the demo for Ultimate from what we've seen.
That, and there might be extras considering Meta Ridley was seen as an alt but was not available in the demo as one of Ridley's palette swaps.

But Dark Samus will definitely be added as a possible Echo option for sure.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If suggestions are open, I highly suggest Slippy be added.

With Krystal deconfirmed, Slippy is now the frontrunner for a Star Fox newcomer. His importance to the series is obvious, having been in every Star Fox title. He was even the star of his own spin-off game, Star Fox Guard.

Moveset wise, Slippy actually has a lot to work with. There's various gadgets and weaponry across the Star Fox series he could use, but I think his moveset would pull mostly from Star Fox: Assault and Star Fox Guard. If you'd like some more clarity with a potential moveset for him, I've got one for him below.

Name: Slippy Toad
Series: Star Fox
First Appearance: Star Fox (1993)
Archetype: Defensive Engineer
Gimmick: Cameras

Overview

Slippy’s moveset is inspired primarily out of Star Fox: Assault, Star Fox Zero, and Star Fox Guard. Star Fox Assault is what gives him a majority of his attacks, using various different weapons from that game. Almost all of his moves revolve around the use of gadgets, weapons, or tools. Slippy’s moveset was also designed to keep his quirky personality intact, such as when he looks back while stabbing opponents with a screwdriver.

The moves Slippy uses are mostly long-range attacks with high power, but also come with high lag. Moves where he uses weapons are his strongest options, as they’re used to keep opponents away. Slippy does have a few close-combat moves using his tools, but since Slippy isn’t the strongest physically, close-quarters are usually a last resort for him.

Slippy’s moveset gimmick brings something new to the table for Smash. Slippy is able to place down the cameras from Star Fox Guard, which acts as a stationary sentry gun. This is another effective tool for Slippy, as the camera can be used in a variety of ways. The amount of cameras Slippy has active really depends on hardware capabilities, though.

Attributes

Height: 5’6”

Weight: 106

Jump Height
  • Ground: 45
  • Short: 20
  • Midair: 45
Air Speed: 0.9

Fall Speed
  • Normal Fall: 1.75
  • Fast-Fall: 2.8
Movement Speed
  • Walk: 0.75

• Dash: 1.25
Normals

Neutral: Slippy swings his screwdriver twice in an ‘X’ shape, then looks away and covers his eyes as he rapidly stabs forward with it. The flurry of stabs ends with a final, mid-level thrust.

Dash: As he’s dashing forward, Slippy performs a shoulder-bash. If it connects, it has high knockback and quick recovery. If it misses, then Slippy trips and falls, slightly extending the move, but adding more recovery time.

Tilts

Side Tilt: Slippy takes out his wrench and swings it across with one hand. Rapid inputs will have Slippy alternate which side he swings from, making a back-and-forth motion.

Up Tilt: Slippy performs a small hop and sticks his hands above his head, holding a screwdriver in one and a wrench in the other. Short range but it’s a very quick move that's useful for follow-ups.

Down Tilt: Slippy kneels down and drives an active drill into the opponent’s feet. Quick animation, and hits multiple times. Excellent primer for follow-ups, and can even knock off opponents holding onto a ledge.

Smashes

Side Smash: Slippy takes a kneeling position as he pulls out the sniper rifle from Star Fox: Assault, and lines up a shot. Quick Side Smash inputs will lead to an inaccurate shot, leading to unintentional upward or downward angles. The longer the attack is charged, the more powerful and accurate the shot is. Would have the longest range of any Side Smash, and would be one of the strongest in the series. For balance though, the shot would leave Slippy on his butt, leading to a long recovery time.

Up Smash: Slippy pulls out the gatling gun from Star Fox: Assault, and fires full-auto into the air. However, Slippy can’t handle the recoil, so the gatling gun sprays side to side. This creates a very long-range attack in a 45° radius above.

Down Smash: Slippy pulls out two grenades from Star Fox: Assault, one in each hand. For the attack, Slippy takes a step forward while bending over, then casts them to his sides. This creates a disjointed hitbox, and the explosions occur just far enough away that Slippy doesn’t blow himself up. Great knock-out potential.

Aerials

Neutral Air: True to the series’ signature barrel roll, Slippy turns to the side, sticks hit arms and legs out, and performs a cartwheel-like motion in air. Each limb does damage, and hits on both sides of him. A good ‘get off me’ move.

Forward Air: Slippy whips out the machine gun from Star Fox: Assault and fires a full-auto burst forward. Has long range, and auto-cancels upon landing.

Back Air: Once again, Slippy’s got a bogey on his tail. Since other teammates are already in Smash, Slippy gets a bit of help from Peppy. Slippy leans forward, as Peppy fires three lasers behind him. First laser is right behind Slippy, the second laser is a little bit further out, and the last a bit further than the second. Very strong knockout move.

Up Air: Slippy takes out his wrench and does a wide arcing swing over his head. Makes for an excellent juggling move.

Down Air: Slippy takes out the homing launcher from Star Fox: Assault, aims down, and fires. The rocket travels fast, and only explodes when it comes into contact with an opponent or a platform. Explosion has high damage and knockback, even meteor smashing midair opponents. For balance, the move has long start-up and end-lag, and if timed right, Slippy can hurt or even knock himself out if he fires the rocket too close to the ground.

Throws
Grab
: Slippy takes a step, leans forward, and reaches out with both hands.

Pummel: Once Slippy has his hands on an opponent, his pummel involves him turning his head to the side and slamming it into the opponent’s.

Forward Throw: Slippy, while still holding onto the opponent, jumps up and places his feet on his opponent’s chest. He then performs a strong drop-kick. Strong knockback.

Back Throw: Slippy performs a leap-frog like motion, jumping over the opponent’s head. As he’s landing, Slippy slams a sensor bomb onto the opponent’s back, and it detonates as soon as Slippy lands. Another throw with strong knock back.

Up Throw: Slippy crouches down and rolls onto his back while placing his feet onto the opponent’s chest. He then performs an upward kick with both legs. Good for follow-ups.

Down Throw: Slippy performs a small hop as he throws his opponent onto the ground, then performs a body slam onto them. Deals high percent damage, but low knockback.

Get-Ups

Front Get-Up: Slippy shoots his arms and legs out, then gets himself back up with a push-up like motion.

Back Get-Up: Slippy shoots his arms and legs out, then gets himself back up by rolling over into a kneeling position, then stands.

Trip Get-Up: Slippy kicks hit legs out in front of him and he leans back and shoots hit arms out, then stands.

Ledge Attack: As Slippy is trying to climb back onto the ledge, he sticks his long, stretchy tongue outward.

Specials

Neutral Special: Blaster - Slippy pulls out the standard blaster from Star Fox: Assault and charges it up. The longer the blaster is charged, the further the distance it travels as well as the more damage and knockback it has. Just like in the game its from, the color of the charged shot will change depending on how much power it has. Long range and disjointed with a fast recovery.

Side Special: Direct-i - Slippy sends forward Direct-i from Star Fox Zero. Direct-i travels horizontally across the stage, and when he comes into contact with an opponent, he grabs them. Once Direct-i has grabbed onto an opponent, he sends a consistent electrical shock through them. After three seconds, Direct-i legs go and disappears.

Up Special: Booster Pack - Slippy’s puts on the Booster Pack from Star Fox: Assault and takes flight. The Booster Pack runs on a fuel system, which lasts about four seconds. This grants Slippy impressive vertical and horizontal recovery, and does not leave Slippy in a helpless state after use.

Down Special: AegisCam - Slippy places down an AegisCam from Star Fox Guard. The AegisCam acts as a stationary sentry gun, automatically targeting enemies within range and firing lasers at them. Lasers deal decent percent damage, but do not stun. The AegisCam has a set amount of health, and can be destroyed if it takes enough damage. As for how many Slippy places down, it depends on what the system can handle. 3 would be ideal, 2 would be more balanced, but 1 is more realistic with hardware limits.

Final Smash: Gyrowing - Slippy hops in the Gyrowing from Star Fox Zero and takes to the top of the stage. From here, Slippy can fly left and right across the top, and drop up to three large bombs upon the stage. These bombs have a very large explosive radius, and deal massive damage, often instantly knocking-out opponents. Lasts fifteen seconds total, or until all three bombs are dropped.

Defenses

Shield: Slippy hunkers down with his hands over his eyes.

Sidestep Dodge: Slippy pivots on one foot off to the side, and waves his arms around as if he’s about to lose his balance.

Forward Roll: Slippy performs a somersault forward, and turns around once it’s over.

Backward Roll: Slippy performs a backwards somersault.

Extras

Entrance: Slippy flies in on his Arwing and jumps out. Rather than landing gracefully like Fox and Falco, he lands on his butt. He then stands up and rubs the pain away just before the fight begins.

Stance: Slippy stands facing forward, with his arms angled at his sides.

Idle Animations
  • Animation 1: Slippy puts his hands on his belt and readjusts it.
  • Animation 2: Slippy puts his hands on his hat and repositions it.
Taunts
  • Up Taunt: Slippy covers his eyes, and then quickly move his hands in a peek-a-boo like motion as he says “Ha! Thought you could hide from me, eh?”
  • Side Taunt: Slippy tries to spin his blaster with one hand. As the blaster loops back around, it hits him in the face.
  • Down Taunt: Slippy puts his hand on the side of his headset and briefly leans forward before standing back up straight and says “Shield analysis complete!”
Victory Animations
  • Animation 1: Slippy jumps up and down while sticking his arms up and shouts “I won! Returning to base!”
  • Animation 2: Slippy performs his victory animation from Star Fox: Assault. He clicks his heels to the left, then the right, and performs a ‘sinking’ dance. After the freeze frame, Slippy will stick his arms out in front of him, move them side to side, and perform the ‘sinking’ dance again on repeat.
  • Animation 3: Slippy holds out his wrench towards the camera and says “Mess with the best, go down like the rest!”

Special Victory Dialogue
  • Victory vs. Fox: “This won’t get me kicked off the team, right?” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Fox: “You did fine, Slip” - Fox
  • Victory vs. Falco: “You’re all talk, bird-brain!” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Falco: “Stick to the pond, frog-boy!” - Falco
  • Victory vs. Krystal: “That staff can’t beat my tech!” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Krystal: “Hurts when Fox isn’t here to watch your back, huh?” - Krystal
  • Victory vs. Wolf: “Maybe next time you’ll think twice!” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Wolf: “I hate that frog…” - Wolf

In all, I feel Slippy's chances are often underestimated, even if they still aren't particularly high.

D

Deleted member

Borrowing this from the Graveyard thread

And most important for this thread,

And to all that I'd add, that with Echo characters being a thing, we should consider characters that are close in design and abilities to the originals. For example, Hilda for Zelda (or with her staff, maybe Palutena?), Plusle and Minum for Pichu, Funky Kong and Kiddy Kong for DK, Medusa for Palutena, Black Shadow for Captain Falcon (I know Ganondorf got his sword out but you never know Sakurai) and Chrom for Ike (bringing that Palutena's Guidance full circle.)
Echos have to have the same basic stats and attack animations. The attacks don't need to be exactly the same in properties or in aesthetics, but they have to visually be the same attack overall.
So options like Plusle and Minun, Black Shadow, and Medusa are completely out of the running.

Others will be on a case-by-case basis on whether they truly fit or not.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Echos have to have the same basic stats and attack animations. The attacks don't need to be exactly the same in properties or in aesthetics, but they have to visually be the same attack overall.
So options like Plusle and Minun, Black Shadow, and Medusa are completely out of the running.

Others will be on a case-by-case basis on whether they truly fit or not.
I see what you're saying for Plusle & Minum (proportions don't quite match either of the current electric mice) and Black Shadow (is a biiiiig boy) but why not for Medusa?

splat

Smash Lord
I see what you're saying for Plusle & Minum (proportions don't quite match either of the current electric mice) and Black Shadow (is a biiiiig boy) but why not for Medusa?
First thought I had was the lack of wings for Medusa. We haven't really seen the moves where she uses those in action though - so that might not be it.

I think the main culprit here is the hair. Palutena's model is probably (haven't seen the model outside of the game) animated with additional bones for her hair, so they can make it seem like it flows around fairly naturally. Medusa, on the other hand has snakes for hair, which would need a different bone structure in order to animate them. If they'd use Palutena's skeleton it would just look like Medusa has a tonne of dead snakes on her head.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
First thought I had was the lack of wings for Medusa. We haven't really seen the moves where she uses those in action though - so that might not be it.

I think the main culprit here is the hair. Palutena's model is probably (haven't seen the model outside of the game) animated with additional bones for her hair, so they can make it seem like it flows around fairly naturally. Medusa, on the other hand has snakes for hair, which would need a different bone structure in order to animate them. If they'd use Palutena's skeleton it would just look like Medusa has a tonne of dead snakes on her head.
I don't think it's animation that's the problem holding back Echos (Daisy's got a whole new set), it's the game balance of which size is a big part of. I don't think Palutena's hair has a hitbox so it'd be a moot point.

splat

Smash Lord
I don't think it's animation that's the problem holding back Echos (Daisy's got a whole new set), it's the game balance of which size is a big part of. I don't think Palutena's hair has a hitbox so it'd be a moot point.
It's not about the animations. It's about the fact that Medusa cannot use Palutena's skeleton.
I'm not sure how well versed you are in 3D models, but let me explain with the following image.

These colored lines inside Hulk are bones that are used to animate the model. Every part that needs to be animated seperately needs a seperate bone. Hulk has short hair, so there isn't really a need to animate his hair, but extremities like fingers (see how there are bones for each finger), tails or long hair tend to have animation bones to animate those parts as well. Palutena probably has a few, but as her hair is 'curtainy' (in that you never see loose strains) there's probably not too much. Medusa, on the other hand, needs these bones to make the snakes come alive and be as creepy as they were in Uprising.
So while Palutena's flowing hair is probably fine with a bone structure similar to Hulk's pelvis area, Medusa's snakes need a bone structure that is more like Hulk's hands.

This means that Medusa cannot use Palutena's skeleton, and that all of her animations need to be redone.

Echo fighters are meant to be a simple addition, rigging a model to an existing skeleton with some minor balance tweaks and a few new animations (mostly the flavor animations like idle stances, taunts and vistory poses). Medusa is way out of scope to work as an echo.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Again, I really think the dev problem isn't the animation and rigging, it's game balance.

Another animation set is just that, another animation set. A lot of work, sure but it's as much work as any other character, if not less so as they have a template to go off of. A new moveset means it has to be balanced against every existing moveset in the game making the effort exponential.

Side note: Even though she doesn't go so in game, it wouldn't be out of place for Medusa to summon black angel wings or bat wings to do smash attacks

Raisunn

Smash Rookie
Earth because i cant tell you where else on earth
Predicted Characters: Minecraft Steve (Alex as a Alt), Upcoming Switch Game Pokemon Rep, Geno (Mario RPG),
New Fire Emblem Rep, Shadow the Hedgehog (Semi-Clone).
Grey Fox from Metal Gear will still be a Assist Trophy.
a Minecraft Stage (Plains Biome Maybe).
Undertale Trophies and Music, no Characters.
Miiverse will get the boot (be cut)
Undertale Stage (The Ruins)
Radical Highway from SA2 will be a stage.
DLC will come back as a Feature (Most of Characters above maybe DLC).
More DLC than Last Game.
Target Test is Back.
Board the Platforms is back too.
Event Match is returning.
Target Blast and Smash Tour will be Cut.
Smash Run will return.
Subspace will be DLC Possibly.
Game will be Rated Teen.

Mikeduke324

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mikeduke324
3DS FC
4914-5238-3633
Switch FC
1611-1340-5349
I really want the excitebike guy, but since Wario has a lot of bike based moves I doubt it’ll happen. I also think we’ll get some Minecraft trophies, just saying.

Easily dark Samus is a speculation for echo fighter

no assist trophy so far and the alts for Samus

https://mobile.twitter.com/Shinesparkers/status/1007353251988148224

None of them are dark Samus the most particular one is the black one with yellow lights and vizor instead of the iconic phazon blue

That alt in smash 4 so it kind of Felton's like playing as dark samus
I believe many people were saying that ‘prime ribs’ in that 4chan leak from a week or two ago could be dark samus. I’m not sure how reputable that is, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Charts have been (mostly) updated to reflect everything that we currently know about Ultimate.
Still a few edits need to be done for what's already there.

But in the meantime, we're going to take suggestions for the charts into heavy consideration as we make some more updates. We will be going with one or two charts at a time for suggestions though.

Starting with Chart 1: Mario and Co. and Chart 2: Famicom Disk System Franchises
We swapped out Toad for Captain Toad because regular Toads have been outright disconfirmed, leaving Captain Toad the only "option" left for that slot.

Current changes already up for consideration for Chart 1:
-None so far

Current changes already up for consideration for Chart 2:
-Fixing Young Link's name (we already know about this error)
-Add BotW Zelda as an alt for Zelda (the original GameFaqs leaker for things we saw in Ultimate at E3 stated that Zelda would have a BotW Zelda alt)
-Add the Champions? (This one is up for debate now that we know Ultimate is being more diverse in representing the whole Zelda franchise)
-Add Impa
-Add Skull Kid
-Add Toon Zelda
-Add Tetra
-Add Hilda as potential Zelda Echo
-Possibly separate the Zelda characters into their own chart if there is an excess amount
-Add Dark Samus as potential Samus Echo

Any other suggestions are welcome, but there are no guarantees they will actually be added to the chart.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised you didn't put Buzzwole in the list. :p
When this was initially drafted, I specifically left Buzzwole out along with a few other Pokémon because I felt we already had an excess amount of "options" from Gen 7.

Rest assured, Buzzwole will be under consideration for the update when we get to Pokémon.

But right now, we're only doing:
-Super Mario
-Donkey Kong
-Yoshi's Island
-Wario
-Legend of Zelda
-Metroid
-other Famicom Disk System originated franchises

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Charts have been (mostly) updated to reflect everything that we currently know about Ultimate.
Still a few edits need to be done for what's already there.

But in the meantime, we're going to take suggestions for the charts into heavy consideration as we make some more updates. We will be going with one or two charts at a time for suggestions though.

Starting with Chart 1: Mario and Co. and Chart 2: Famicom Disk System Franchises
We swapped out Toad for Captain Toad because regular Toads have been outright disconfirmed, leaving Captain Toad the only "option" left for that slot.

Current changes already up for consideration for Chart 1:
-None so far

Current changes already up for consideration for Chart 2:
-Fixing Young Link's name (we already know about this error)
-Add BotW Zelda as an alt for Zelda (the original GameFaqs leaker for things we saw in Ultimate at E3 stated that Zelda would have a BotW Zelda alt)
-Add the Champions? (This one is up for debate now that we know Ultimate is being more diverse in representing the whole Zelda franchise)
-Add Impa
-Add Skull Kid
-Add Toon Zelda
-Add Tetra
-Add Hilda as potential Zelda Echo
-Possibly separate the Zelda characters into their own chart if there is an excess amount
-Add Dark Samus as potential Samus Echo

Any other suggestions are welcome, but there are no guarantees they will actually be added to the chart.
Personally I'm still game for adding the Champions to the chart for the reasons you said. Plus Vah Rudania isn't seen on Death Mountain so clearly that means Daruk is in.

D

Deleted member

Personally I'm still game for adding the Champions to the chart for the reasons you said. Plus Vah Rudania isn't seen on Death Mountain so clearly that means Daruk is in.
Well, unless you're referring to an earlier post of mine, what I said here is actually something not in favor of them. :p
What I mean by "This one is up for debate now that we know Ultimate is being more diverse in representing the whole Zelda franchise" is that the Champions might not be added to the chart after all since we now know that the Zelda characters (sans Toon Link of course) aren't unified by a single game such as BotW, and instead reflect several games in the franchise and becoming more diverse in general. Thus newcomers aren't necessarily limited to whoever was in BotW like we initially believed.

They still could be added, but it's something AEM and I will have to think about.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, unless you're referring to an earlier post of mine, what I said here is actually something not in favor of them. :p
What I mean by "This one is up for debate now that we know Ultimate is being more diverse in representing the whole Zelda franchise" is that the Champions might not be added to the chart after all since we now know that the Zelda characters (sans Toon Link of course) aren't unified by a single game such as BotW, and instead reflect several games in the franchise and becoming more diverse in general. Thus newcomers aren't necessarily limited to whoever was in BotW like we initially believed.

They still could be added, but it's something AEM and I will have to think about.
Honestly I've been going back and forth with myself on the same issue, haha. The main reason I think they still have merit is the fact that, as Champions, they are literally representative of their races, with three of the four being incredibly reoccurring (though this doesn't really work for Urbosa for obvious reasons :p). I could see Sakurai adding Mipha or Daruk, for example, to showcase Zoras and Gorons in general, for example.

I feel they have an outside shot, since I'm not confident we'll be getting a Zelda newcomer, but out of the available options I think the Champions and Skull Kid have the best odds.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd add Nitnen as a possible Echo.

We've got stages for Beginnings, earthbound and Mother 3 in the game already so they may decide "why not" to it.

D

Deleted member

I'd add Nitnen as a possible Echo.

We've got stages for Beginnings, earthbound and Mother 3 in the game already so they may decide "why not" to it.
But right now, we're only doing:
-Super Mario
-Donkey Kong
-Yoshi's Island
-Wario
-Legend of Zelda
-Metroid
-other Famicom Disk System originated franchises

No other series are being looked at right now.
We will take suggestions for Earthbound when we're taking suggestions for the following chart.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No other series are being looked at right now.
We will take suggestions for Earthbound when we're taking suggestions for the following chart.
Ah, thought the Famicom stuff was all one and the same. My bad.

D

Deleted member

Ah, thought the Famicom stuff was all one and the same. My bad.
Yeah, it may be a bit confusing, but we've split series that started on the Japanese exclusive Disk System from the ones that started on the main cartridge system that we know outside Japan as the NES.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Galactic knight is an alt and (maybe I didn’t see)he doesn’t have the gold background

splat

Smash Lord
Galactic knight is an alt and (maybe I didn’t see)he doesn’t have the gold background
Not an alt, just a costume. While it does have to changed mask shape, it does not have Galacta's horns, lance or shield.

In regards to the charts, I think you've tackled everything with the additions you've mention above. I could make a case for the Federation Force Marine as well, though with the game flopping like it did I doubt people would go insane should they be added.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Don't know how long it's taken me to notice, but the title is misspelled as "Ulitmate" instead of "Ultimate"

D

Deleted member

Don't know how long it's taken me to notice, but the title is misspelled as "Ulitmate" instead of "Ultimate"

YOU SAW NOTHING.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76848606

Vergeben is back and saids Simon is still in and Isabella gets promoted from assist to playable
Considering both Simon and Isabelle are already on the chart, this doesn't change anything, really.
This isn't a general rumor discussion thread. :/

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Begging your pardon, but shouldn't we be striking Captain Toad from the list due to him being spotted on the New Donk City stage? Unless of course, you're pleading the Alfonso treatment?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Begging your pardon, but shouldn't we be striking Captain Toad from the list due to him being spotted on the New Donk City stage? Unless of course, you're pleading the Alfonso treatment?
Toadette: Leave it to me!

D

Deleted member

Chart hadn't even been updated yet with the Smash Direct stuff.

There's been a delay.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Huh, okay, right, hasn't been updated for the new Direct info. All right, my statement is withdrawn. I hadn't noticed.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Might as well mark steve as confirmed, cause theres no chance my boi's not getting in

D

Deleted member

Might as well mark steve as confirmed, cause theres no chance my boi's not getting in
That is not how this works.

Characters will only get marked as confirmed when they are confirmed.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
It's not about the animations. It's about the fact that Medusa cannot use Palutena's skeleton.
I'm not sure how well versed you are in 3D models, but let me explain with the following image.

These colored lines inside Hulk are bones that are used to animate the model. Every part that needs to be animated seperately needs a seperate bone. Hulk has short hair, so there isn't really a need to animate his hair, but extremities like fingers (see how there are bones for each finger), tails or long hair tend to have animation bones to animate those parts as well. Palutena probably has a few, but as her hair is 'curtainy' (in that you never see loose strains) there's probably not too much. Medusa, on the other hand, needs these bones to make the snakes come alive and be as creepy as they were in Uprising.
So while Palutena's flowing hair is probably fine with a bone structure similar to Hulk's pelvis area, Medusa's snakes need a bone structure that is more like Hulk's hands.

This means that Medusa cannot use Palutena's skeleton, and that all of her animations need to be redone.

Echo fighters are meant to be a simple addition, rigging a model to an existing skeleton with some minor balance tweaks and a few new animations (mostly the flavor animations like idle stances, taunts and vistory poses). Medusa is way out of scope to work as an echo.
As a professional CGI artist for 5 years now, this is not true. Medusa, theoretically, could use an enhanced version of Paluntena´s skeleton. So basically you would have all the same bones that Palutena has and all the same animations, with additional bones and animations added to the rig just for Medusas Snake hair. Doing so would be quite trivial for an experienced artist, to be honest.

Adding new bones/animations to a clone/echo characters is also not unheard of, Ganondorf in Melee and Dark Samus have it compared to their source characters. Not saying its gonna happen, but thats not a valid reason to discredit Medusa as a Paluneta echo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom