• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate Q&A thread

Ech0e5

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to save outfits to a name? Much like how controls can be saved

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Does anyone know if not having a Z-axis affects hitboxes in this game? One of the more infamous examples in Smash 4 was how Charizard's Ftilt always hit its sweetspot on stages like Flat Zone X, but I did some tests and was able to hit the sourspot in Flat Zone X. Maybe it's the exception to the rule or it's hitbox doesn't match the animation?

EvilLost

Smash Rookie
Topic. I've seen several comments that using tilt stick helps with aerials (or anything other than tilt attacks)....but how? I can do running back aerials just fine with smash stick.

I'm a melee player with a little experience in brawl (no sm4sh), if that matters.

Joshk

Smash Rookie
Dose anyone know how GSP is calculated? I'm new to the game and had a 2 million GSP. Obviously I wasn't meant to be there so I just de-ranked all the way to 60,000. However, I'm meeting people who are around my same GSP but just chain combo me and I can't even land back to the ground. And when I do, I just get chained CC again... This is really making me wish I could return my copy and get something else...
If GSP is done individually for each character, that's really ********. It just puts people who are of the lower level against players who are skilled but picking up a new character to play (knowing people will deliberately lose games to be matched with lower level players to train).

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
Dose anyone know how GSP is calculated? I'm new to the game and had a 2 million GSP. Obviously I wasn't meant to be there so I just de-ranked all the way to 60,000. However, I'm meeting people who are around my same GSP but just chain combo me and I can't even land back to the ground. And when I do, I just get chained CC again... This is really making me wish I could return my copy and get something else...
If GSP is done individually for each character, that's really ********. It just puts people who are of the lower level against players who are skilled but picking up a new character to play (knowing people will deliberately lose games to be matched with lower level players to train).
Up until now people think and say that GSP is just a ranking of every characters winrate % .

PS: I dont think people lose intentionally to practice, but as you lose a ****ton of gsp when you lose on a new char you might be matched against people who have a way higher GSP, which in the end is just a very bad and unrealiable fictional number.
I suggest you to look into how to properly DI, airdodge and getting out of disadvantage states.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, so apologies in advance if not--Is there anyway to delete Piranha Plant? My friend wanted to try it out, but I didn't want it on my account. Looked online but couldn't find anything. He tried it out anyways by using his account, and it still popped up when I opened my game. I deleted my save, but it still popped up with the original 8. Anyway to remove it from my account, or once he's done playing around with Piranha Plant, delete it from all accounts?

LigmaY2K

Smash Rookie
Hey I have been playing smash since melee but only now have a I decided to try to play competitively. I have my original game cube controller from 2002 that I have been using to play for all the smash games I have played. My question is what controller would you recommend. Price isn't really a issue as long as it isn't something ridiculous. My OG GCC is pretty worn down and has developed a major deadzone with time so I can't use that. There aren't any locals near me at the moment so no rush to get back to me. Thanks :)

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Hey I have been playing smash since melee but only now have a I decided to try to play competitively. I have my original game cube controller from 2002 that I have been using to play for all the smash games I have played. My question is what controller would you recommend. Price isn't really a issue as long as it isn't something ridiculous. My OG GCC is pretty worn down and has developed a major deadzone with time so I can't use that. There aren't any locals near me at the moment so no rush to get back to me. Thanks :)
The new gamecube controllers feel fine for me, plus if you buy third party they are the cheapest option, so you can get 2 or 3 for a really good deal. Just beware, you won'd be able to do some DIY fixes on third-party controllers, say, if you get a glitchy c-stick, because some brands glue their buttons to the stick, so you can't clean them when you take the controller apart. My friend had a problem like that and his controller was basically trash.

Personally I use the joy cons + grip. Not having notches on the control stick sucks, but the layout feels very nice and the buttons are in comfortable reach. Plus you can video capture cool combos with the press of a button.

The Switch Pro controller is similar but its price tag definitely qualifies as "something ridiculous".

If you have a WiiU pro controller I believe that works with this system but I can't confirm it myself.

Both the Joy Cons and pro controllers have four shoulder buttons, which is really nice if you want to ditch the x/y/a/b buttons all together and play with just shoulder buttons + Lstick + Cstick, so you don't have to switch finger positions between moves.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Does anyone know if not having a Z-axis affects hitboxes in this game? One of the more infamous examples in Smash 4 was how Charizard's Ftilt always hit its sweetspot on stages like Flat Zone X, but I did some tests and was able to hit the sourspot in Flat Zone X. Maybe it's the exception to the rule or it's hitbox doesn't match the animation?
Well, stages without a Z-axis make Ridley's side special instantly kill Sonic (only Sonic for some reason) due to some sort of glitch. It was shown off in a Tweet, but I don't have time to go looking for it. I'm not sure if this glitch got removed in the 2.0.0 patch or not, but hopefully it did — it made that matchup hilariously one-sided, though it's probably not very funny for Sonic...

EDIT: Still no tweet, but a quick search on Google did yield this video:

Last edited:

SesameChicken

Smash Rookie
I preordered Smash months before it came out digitally, and I still haven’t gotten Pirahna Plant. System and game both fully updated, and I tried exited the software and restarting the console just in case. It’s been a couple days already. What am I missing?

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
The deadline. If you haven't put in your code yet it'll be too late. Code would have been emailed to your Nintendo account email address within two weeks of purchase. If you use Gmail it would have gone to the promotions folder.

Edit:
I recommend you contact Nintendo Customer Support for your region. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Thatguynamednic

Smash Rookie
Im on the regular smash modes and im trying to play with spirits so i turn them on and select my spirit team and my friend does the same but the spirit aren’t doing anything when we try to fight it just turns to normal as if there were no spirits on

Does anyone have a solution to this or is it an unfixable bug?

Last edited:

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Pretty involved question, but hey, this is the Q&A thread, so here goes.

I'm interested in working to find combos and techniques for characters that don't have a lot written about them yet. How should I go about testing for combos, and how should I write up any discoveries I find? In particular:

1. We all know the combo counter in training is broken. What's the best way to determine whether a combo is true?
2. How much does DI matter in establishing a combo? Is it only a "combo" if there's no DI that can get an opponent out of it? Or if DI matters, is it a "combo with an asterisk?"
3. Combos depend on the opponent's percent. What is the standard for testing and establishing combos? Mario on Battlefield?
4. I know rage factors into some combos. Should I consider that variable when searching for combos?

That's all I can think of for now.

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Um, this might be a dumb question and I couldn't find anyone else asking: how can I use my custom control scheme when playing World of Light? No matter if I go to Options while playing World of Light and try to select my specific username control scheme, when I jump back into a battle, the control is still set to default.

EDIT: Yay, I figured it out. I think it would have been more obvious once I have more characters besides Kirby. When you enter the battle screen, on the bottom right are two windows: “Party” and “Fight”. Go into party, bottom left icon is “Fighter”, which takes you to character select screen where you can change the player name to use preferred control.
Does anybody know how can I unlock Roy?
For two of you, is there a way to post a mains and secondaries at the bottom of your comments?

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
How would you edgeguard with Wolf,Dk and Bowser?
Unfortunately these guys don't have the best offstage options. They can generally only go for one move before being forced to recover themselves, on account of their terrible recovery distance.

Wolf: Down-angled f-tilt is a great option to catch sloppy recoveries and 2-frames from on-stage. I generally don't recommend going offstage unless your opponent's recovery is super easy to intercept. But because Wolf can't go too deep, your opponent is usually in range of air-dodging to the ledge when you want to go for a laggy move like down-air, which can easily reverse the situation and get you killed.

DK: Down-B in the air is a nice option because it lasts a while and if you hit any part of it, you're going to spike your opponent. It's not the safest option if your opponent has good air-maneuvering options. But if you want a spike it's probably a better bet than forward/down air.
If you're playing someone like fox with a big hitbox on their recovery move, just armor through that sucker with your fully charged punch. Remember it doesn't send you into freefall in this game.
Hanging on to the ledge and waiting to drop off -> double jump -> back air is a good option too because of the speed and range on back air. Be ready to tech if you trade a hitbox with your opponent.

Bowser: Run off -> forward air is a really good option because of the move's wide arc. Just be careful, as it is quite laggy and leaves you vulnerable. You also can't fast fall it or you just die. If you're trying to 2-frame the opponent from onstage/hit a poor ledge snap, I recommend down-angled forward tilt over down tilt as it is safer and more intuitive with the timing.
Neutral-B is your best friend. It'll rarely lead to a kill -- only if your opponent messes up their recovery, really -- but it can easily score you 20-30%.

vodamark

Smash Rookie
New player here... So... In that open world thingy where you free spirits and fighters... How the hell do you defeat that "simple" one-star enemy called Nick, sitting on those rainbow clouds? I've tried various fighters and spirit combos. I'm attacking it with lvl 71 and 3 slots, way over its level. But I can't get even close to succeeding. That other cpu fighter with shurikens just kicks my ass always. WTF? It's really annoying.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
New player here... So... In that open world thingy where you free spirits and fighters... How the hell do you defeat that "simple" one-star enemy called Nick, sitting on those rainbow clouds? I've tried various fighters and spirit combos. I'm attacking it with lvl 71 and 3 slots, way over its level. But I can't get even close to succeeding. That other cpu fighter with shurikens just kicks my *** always. WTF? It's really annoying.
It's not just you, Nick's a Novice in name only. Every Spirit battle with Takemaru is a ***** to beat.

I can't remember if Nick's optional. If you can go around him, come back when you have the Polar Bear or Regigigas Spirit that gives you Slow Super Armor. Or when you get a character with a powerful super armored attack like Pokemon Trainer (Charizard side special), Little Mac or Ganondorf (Neutral Special).

Last edited:

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I am completely new to the Smash franchise. I have never played it until Ultimate but I’m having a lot of fun with it.

This thread seems like the most appropriate place for complete noob questions.

My question is on juggling and edge guarding. When I watch videos online of Smash players it seems when they jump in the air they have multiple opportunities to strike their enemies. For instance when their opponent is knocked off screen, they jump way off the edge, strike (maybe twice) and then still up special to get to the ledge.

When I jump (even with a character like Lucina) it seems I’m only able to strike once and then I fall helplessly down and if I am off the level I fall and don’t have the ability to up special to get to the ledge.

Am I doing something wrong or am I not playing correctly?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone. I am completely new to the Smash franchise. I have never played it until Ultimate but I’m having a lot of fun with it.

This thread seems like the most appropriate place for complete noob questions.

My question is on juggling and edge guarding. When I watch videos online of Smash players it seems when they jump in the air they have multiple opportunities to strike their enemies. For instance when their opponent is knocked off screen, they jump way off the edge, strike (maybe twice) and then still up special to get to the ledge.

When I jump (even with a character like Lucina) it seems I’m only able to strike once and then I fall helplessly down and if I am off the level I fall and don’t have the ability to up special to get to the ledge.

Am I doing something wrong or am I not playing correctly?

Thank you for your time.
If you are going offstage, something new players do sometimes on accident is run too close to the edge of the stage before jumping off to chase their opponent, and they end up actually running off the ledge and using their double jump immediately, when they meant to jump from the edge of the stage and keep their double jump. So if you find you're going offstage and randomly losing your double jump, that may be why.
:)
As far as actual up-special recoveries, making it back to ledge is just a matter of knowing your character's limits. (For example) Lucina's UpB is great (strong, invincible-ish, very fast), but it doesn't cover much horizontal distance, and you have to factor that in when going offstage for edge guards. Becoming more comfortable with your character's recovery moves is something that will happen naturally over time, but if you just mess around in the training room you can figure it out a lot faster.
Also worth noting some characters have recovery tools that are not their up special. Examples that come to mind are Wolf's SideB, Luigi's SideB, Sheik's DownB, PacMan's SideB, and so on. Learning what extra tools your character has will help you extend your edge guarding.
Lastly, I think it's great to experiment with edge guards. If you end up killing yourself in the process, well... hey. It's a game. And those kinds of experiments will get you much further than standing on the ledge and waiting for your opponent to come back and going from there.
P.S. make sure you can tell the difference between when you're fast-falling an aerial or not. (For example) Lucina's Down Air will kill you every time if you fast fall it off the ledge, but you can live a normal down air.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Aquamentii sounds like they're on the right track. You get one jump from the ground and one air jump, so if you walk off the ledge it's just the air jump. Make sure you're not holding down in the air or you'll fall too quickly.

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
If you are going offstage, something new players do sometimes on accident is run too close to the edge of the stage before jumping off to chase their opponent, and they end up actually running off the ledge and using their double jump immediately, when they meant to jump from the edge of the stage and keep their double jump. So if you find you're going offstage and randomly losing your double jump, that may be why.
As far as actual up-special recoveries, making it back to ledge is just a matter of knowing your character's limits. (For example) Lucina's UpB is great (strong, invincible-ish, very fast), but it doesn't cover much horizontal distance, and you have to factor that in when going offstage for edge guards. Becoming more comfortable with your character's recovery moves is something that will happen naturally over time, but if you just mess around in the training room you can figure it out a lot faster.
Also worth noting some characters have recovery tools that are not their up special. Examples that come to mind are Wolf's SideB, Luigi's SideB, Sheik's DownB, PacMan's SideB, and so on. Learning what extra tools your character has will help you extend your edge guarding.
Lastly, I think it's great to experiment with edge guards. If you end up killing yourself in the process, well... hey. It's a game. And those kinds of experiments will get you much further than standing on the ledge and waiting for your opponent to come back and going from there.
P.S. make sure you can tell the difference between when you're fast-falling an aerial or not. (For example) Lucina's Down Air will kill you every time if you fast fall it off the ledge, but you can live a normal down air.
Thank you for your time. What I was mainly asking about is how many time can you strike an opponent while you are in the air? (How many times can you strike an opponent on one jump?)
I am able to strike an opponenet once before I cannot make any other moves.

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
Aquamentii sounds like they're on the right track. You get one jump from the ground and one air jump, so if you walk off the ledge it's just the air jump. Make sure you're not holding down in the air or you'll fall too quickly.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share. As I mentioned in my previous reply is I am wondering how many times I can strike an opponent while in the air.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
There is no limit to how many times you can strike an opponent in the air with a normal attack. You can keep doing it all the way to the bottom of the stage if you like.

Up specials can only be used once in the air, and using it will not allow you to do anything else until you land (send you into "tumble"), so use the up special only as your very last move to return to the stage. There are some other moves that will send a character into tumble, mostly side specials. Are you using Lucina's side special? Perhaps it's one of these?

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
There is no limit to how many times you can strike an opponent in the air with a normal attack. You can keep doing it all the way to the bottom of the stage if you like.

Up specials can only be used once in the air, and using it will not allow you to do anything else until you land (send you into "tumble"), so use the up special only as your very last move to return to the stage. There are some other moves that will send a character into tumble, mostly side specials. Are you using Lucina's side special? Perhaps it's one of these?
I will try this tomorrow. I will try to jump -> neutral attack -> double jump -> neutral attack again. I hope that works and if so that is exactly the answer I am looking for. Can I follow up with you tomorrow in this thread?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman

Most Up Specials will send you into tumble, but not all. Off the top of my head, R.O.B., Sonic, Mega Man, and Incineroar (if you survive :laugh:) can still do stuff after theirs. Lucina's Side Special definitely does not tumble.
I will try this tomorrow. I will try to jump -> neutral attack -> double jump -> neutral attack again. I hope that works and if so that is exactly the answer I am looking for. Can I follow up with you tomorrow in this thread?
Not only does this work, it can be taken to extremes with characters that have lots of jumps. For a floaty, multi-jump character like Jigglypuff, nothing's stopping you from using like 5 Bairs and Fairs off stage to escort the opponent to the blast zone.

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
How does one make it so that when you press up on the stick you don't jump? I have gone into settings and set Stick Jump to off and I have my profile selected when I select my character. But still when I press up on the stick my character jumps. Any ideas?

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
How does one make it so that when you press up on the stick you don't jump? I have gone into settings and set Stick Jump to off and I have my profile selected when I select my character. But still when I press up on the stick my character jumps. Any ideas?
You may have turned tap jump off for the wrong controller. When you are customizing controllers for a given name tag, note that you are presented with three options: Joycon/Pro controller, Gamecube, or sideways joy con.
There is no other option you have to toggle beyond stick jump in these menus to actually turn off tap jump.
1) You have selected the wrong name tag
2) You did not save your control edits/accidentally toggled stick jump back on
3) You toggled stick jump off for the wrong controller option

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
You may have turned tap jump off for the wrong controller. When you are customizing controllers for a given name tag, note that you are presented with three options: Joycon/Pro controller, Gamecube, or sideways joy con.
There is no other option you have to toggle beyond stick jump in these menus to actually turn off tap jump.
I swear I have done that. I go to options -> controls -> the name of the controller profile I want to edit -> I choose the style (GameCube Controller) -> other settings -> “Stick Jump: Off” -> “Ok” -> “Save” . Then when I choose my fighter I choose the name of the controller profile that I just edited. I press up on the stick and the character jumps.

I don’t see what else I’m supposed to do.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If that were true, the character wouldn't be jumping. If they are, you're doing something, somewhere, wrong.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I have never had a problem with tap jump staying on after I turn it off. Are you pressing + or B to exit the controls settings?

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
If that were true, the character wouldn't be jumping. If they are, you're doing something, somewhere, wrong.
I have never had a problem with tap jump staying on after I turn it off. Are you pressing + or B to exit the controls settings?
Hi there, the reason why is cause I am using a PowerA GameCube style controller and the Switch reads it as a Pro Controller so I had to change the settings there. I appreciate you two taking the time to help me out.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
So it was the wrong controller like Aquamentii suggested. Can't say it's your fault though, given the circumstances.

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
thank you very much for your help, as a newbie I really appreciate it

Pikopiko

Smash Rookie
So it was the wrong controller like Aquamentii suggested. Can't say it's your fault though, given the circumstances.
Very true. I have no experience using other controllers so the chances of user error were very high.

Top Bottom