• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate Q&A thread

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Got questions about World of Light, game modes, or anything else? Ask here.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I'll start things off: How's input lag looking with the WiiU's Gamecube controller adapter? I had major issues with using it on other games and just want to confirm I'm still good to go in 7 hours.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll start things off: How's input lag looking with the WiiU's Gamecube controller adapter? I had major issues with using it on other games and just want to confirm I'm still good to go in 7 hours.
From what I have read, the lag is basically unnoticeable. But I guess I'll find that out for sure shortly.

D

Deleted member

So, I hope this isn't a bad or stupid question, but has anyone out there made a document or something that has all of the locations for the characters in World of Light?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Thank goodness this topic was made. I'm tired of seeing clueless newbies making threads for really basic questions which the mods have to close or merge with more relevant threads (and I'm also tired of having to report them).

Sorry if I come across as rude, but I have things I'd like or need to do other than hovering over my alerts 24/7 to keep my inbox clean. Including chores and a part-time job.

Last edited:

ThatGreenPigeon

Smash Cadet
How can I play now?

I preordered it, I’m a Californian. I see people playing it rn. How do I play now? If I can’t then when can i?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How can I play now?

I preordered it, I’m a Californian. I see people playing it rn. How do I play now? If I can’t then when can i?
Those people are likely from overseas where it has now released. It'll be available for us later late tonight.

Pyr

Smash Lord
It feels a bit off. Not sure if it's just me, though. Felt the same way with 4 at first, too.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Um, this might be a dumb question and I couldn't find anyone else asking: how can I use my custom control scheme when playing World of Light? No matter if I go to Options while playing World of Light and try to select my specific username control scheme, when I jump back into a battle, the control is still set to default.

EDIT: Yay, I figured it out. I think it would have been more obvious once I have more characters besides Kirby. When you enter the battle screen, on the bottom right are two windows: “Party” and “Fight”. Go into party, bottom left icon is “Fighter”, which takes you to character select screen where you can change the player name to use preferred control.

Last edited:

ThirdDegreeFern

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to play battle arena with another person on your console? Me and my brother are trying to play doubles with my friends online but it doesn’t seem possible to play battle arena with two people at once...

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
This was probably discussed elsewhere, but I can't find where: Does having C-stick set to Smash still mess with aerial momentum of you don't let go extremely quickly after performing an aerial?

EDIT: For the record, playing it last night definitely feels like it still does.

Last edited:

Kairyu24

Smash Cadet
How does the spirits triangle actually work? The listed values are the same across classes.
Does a spirit simple boost your attacks, shield, or grab more heavily based on type, or does a advantage grant other effects?
Grab and shield are often not relevant in the more chaotic spirit battles, so I'm wanting to know how I can best approach it.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
This may seem like a stupid question, but is there any way for it to keep it on the character you last played? It's driving me crazy to have to pick them every time and keep having to change the costume (e.g., prefer male Wii Fit trainer).

golfmastrrr

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to change the single Joycon controls so that you can assign a button for smash attacks?

Pyr

Smash Lord
It feels a bit off. Not sure if it's just me, though. Felt the same way with 4 at first, too.
After reading around and thought, can anyone go into any mode and test Jab or shield and let me know if they can feel, like a 2 frame input lag? Some people get it. Some people don't. I can't tell if it's just me or if it is legit. I'm using a GC controller and the Wii U adapter. I can't trust reddit to confirm something like this. It definitely "feels" like something is there. I'm not quite sure what.

BIG EDIT: https://np.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a3purq/super_smash_bros_ultimate_release_day_faq/ebbj0t7/

Apparently it may actually be placebo.

Last edited:

LeOsTyLe

Smash Rookie
Hello,

i have four question:

1) Are the basic controller input settings good? A attack, XY Jump, B Special etc. Or should i change them? Should i allow with a+b the smash attack; should i allow with direction up a jump and on which sensibility. I dont want to learn bad habbits and relearn the muscle memory later. Which settings use the most good players?

2) Under help -> controlls there are 77 tecniques writen, are all good or are there some which alwasys be outclasses by another technique,so i better not learn them?

3) I am a beginner, which techniques of this 77 are very important to have the bascis and i should learn the first?

4) Are there in a fight some bad habbits i should avoid to not become in my muscle memory?

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Hello,

i have four question:

1) Are the basic controller input settings good? A attack, XY Jump, B Special etc. Or should i change them? Should i allow with a+b the smash attack; should i allow with direction up a jump and on which sensibility. I dont want to learn bad habbits and relearn the muscle memory later. Which settings use the most good players?

2) Under help -> controlls there are 77 tecniques writen, are all good or are there some which alwasys be outclasses by another technique,so i better not learn them?

3) I am a beginner, which techniques of this 77 are very important to have the bascis and i should learn the first?

4) Are there in a fight some bad habbits i should avoid to not become in my muscle memory?
1. Yeah the defaults are great. They're tried and true. Only thing some people turn off is tap to jump functionality, as it let's you do up tilts.

2. Playing the game might be a faster way of improvement.

3. Just as a new player, I highly recommend you put shielding, rolling, recovering, and tilts into your vocabulary until the point where you can see the situations and immediately know which of those things is a good idea. After that, practice holding your shield button and pressing A or B. It will grab out of shield and it also works with some up B moves. Very nice.

Last thing isn't a technique, but recognize your character. Ask yourself if you know which percents are a good percent for you to be able to kill someone at and which moves will get the job done. You don't want to rack up the damage without the kill to finish them off.

4. Don't roll too much. Ultimate punishes roll spam by making them slow down. Also don't charge Smash attacks while you wait for someone to walk into the danger zone. Works against CPUs, less so against humans.

Happy smashing, welcome to the community.

Last edited:

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Question. How can we adjust song probabillities for specific stages? When I press y on the stage select screen I am only able to select a song, or turn on randomize. I hope this feature wasn't removed.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Question. How can we adjust song probabillities for specific stages? When I press y on the stage select screen I am only able to select a song, or turn on randomize. I hope this feature wasn't removed.
Go to My Music which is in Vault.

LeOsTyLe

Smash Rookie
Jeck Jeck

Thanks a lot i have some questions to your answer

3.1) What are situations where i should use shield and where i should use rolling?

3.2) Is it normal, that i only can shield/roll slow attacks or attacks which i see coming? When my opponent is directly in front of me i have no chance to shield or block, should in this case i just spam attacks or does i only have to slow reaction and every attack is th egame is shield/rollable?

3.3) There are so many ways to attack the opponent how i know which attack i should use? Should i focus on 2-3 or on all? One big material art fighter say people who learned only 1 punch but 1000 times are more dangerous than who learned 1000 punches but only 1 time each. How is it in this game? Does the brain have enough time to choose one of the many attacks?

3.4) With recovery you mean i can slow the time when i am stunned by pressing asy keys or what you mean?

3.5) What are in generell good attacks (which can do every character) to finish off the opponent?

3.6) What do you mean with tilts

Last edited:

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Go to My Music which is in Vault.
Have you actually tried to do this yourself? Because when I try I don't find the option anywhere.

Nvm. It's a much smaller tag on the bottom of the menu. I was just in the music menu. Thanks!

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
How exactly do I register my physical copy of SSBU to get Parana Plant?
If you have a physical copy, register the game to get your Nintendo points, then you will receive a code which you can redeem

Piranha plant releases February 2019

Can you use a 3ds as an controller??
So far I've not seen that this is possible, you can currently use single and double joycons, pro controller and gamecube controllers, but obviously any controller will be able to be "emulated" with the use of an adapter

Jecux

Smash Cadet
What exactly is the best way to mash out of burying moves? In Ultimate there is so many moves that bury you and it's kinda frustrating to get KO'd from under 100% because my mashing wasn't on point against characters like Inkling or K. Rool.

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
I've been struggling with this thing since Melee. Like, how does it work? I've picked it up time and time again, and it just sits there in my hand. I throw it and nothing happens. I know that it is supposed to heal you or something, but how on earth do I get that to happen?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've been struggling with this thing since Melee. Like, how does it work? I've picked it up time and time again, and it just sits there in my hand. I throw it and nothing happens. I know that it is supposed to heal you or something, but how on earth do I get that to happen?
What are you talking about? The Fairy Bottle was introduced in Smash 4.

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH ok... when am i ever gonna need that??? It heals to 0%, I believe, but it just doesn't seem like an item that would be used very often. It seems like it is built for a very specific situation, which doesn't really make sense for a healing item. Yes, I know that there are other situational items like the scythe, but the fairy bottle just doesn't seem to make sense as an item. Like, what game is it even from???

What are you talking about? The Fairy Bottle was introduced in Smash 4.
There was something like it in Melee and I know that for a fact

REV3L

Smash Rookie
hey guys anyone know if that new short hop arial maechanic where you deal less damage is only for the short hop arial auto input or if u do it manuall as well ?

Shish

Smash Rookie
Hey guys brand new to the forums apologies if this is the wrong spot. I've only dabbled in casual smash but always like to be competitive and refer to the competitive community as a starting grounds for any game I get into.

I have a question about changing controller layout.

Would there be a heavy downside that would hamper me as I get better at the game from changing my controller layout to jump on L and attack on X.

My thought process is that my thumb never has to leave x and b to do any of my attacks and I can SH alot easier on L. (Using pro controller)
.but looking around I see that no one else has done this. So I'm assuming there some advance game play mechanics, or something I'm unaware of that causes a drawback..

Any thoughts or tips before my muscle memory starts to commit to L on jump X attack. ?

zerossoul

Smash Rookie
I started getting competitive early in smash 4 and I quickly found the need to do short hop ariels, and my thumb could only do so much. I heard about claw grip and tried it out, but I realized that re-mapping Z to jump and X to grab was much more effective for me, especially since I used to map my R button to jump in the Megaman Zero series. My question is, why do I still see so many people using claw grip? I understand it's needed for melee, but is there a reason outside of melee why claw grip is better than re-mapping?

TheLuigiLord

Smash Rookie
I may just be a dunce, but is there a way to set individual Stamina for each character (like Player 1 has 300 while Player 2 only has 100) or does it always have to be the same? I loved giving the enemy a stamina advantage and seeing if I could beat them.

Top Bottom