• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Newcomer Want

What Should Ultimate's Newcomers Be Focused On?

• Preexisting Nintendo Franchises already presented

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Preexisting Nintendo Franchises not presented

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Upcoming Nintendo franchises not presented

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Third Party Franchises Already Presented

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Third Party Franchises not yet Presented from a Company already with a character

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Third Party Franchises yet to be presented

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Overall we have heard how many characters should get in, but where should they get in from?

Should Smash newcomers mainly focus on Nintendo franchises or should Third parties be the focus?

What does the overall Smash community want?

Note: You can only vote for one.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I selected preexisting Nintendo franchises already presented, but I wouldn't mind some not presented being added (such as Rhythm Heaven, Panel de Pon, Advanced Wars, ARMS, etc.)

Though I think the focus should be on existing franchises who are already in Smash.
-Mario has Daisy but not Waluigi, and there are other characters who can be added... They may find a way to make Toad playable along with Toadette as an alt, or bring in characters from RPGs, such as Geno, Dimentio, Fawful, Paper Mario... and there are obscure picks such as Tatanga and Wart that would be cool as hardcore fanservice.
-Wario is not represented enough. They should represent the Ware and the Land sides of the Wario franchise separately and equally. Plumber Wario should be a separate character from Ware Wario similar to how Zelda/Sheik, Mario/Doc. and Samus/ZSS are separate, and the moveset of plumber Wario should be based only on the Warioland series (there is a lot of source material for a moveset of iconic and original moves); in addition, characters such as Cpt Syrup, Ashley, Mona, etc. are still missing from Smash despite being deserving
-We have a lot of Zelda character but still no classic Ganon? Seriously? And there is Vaati, Tingle, Impa, etc. Zelda is still missing a lot
-Donkey Kong is missing Dixie! There are other secondary characters who may work, but I think they are not all that necessary... but Dixie is.
-F-Zero can have some more reps, at least a couple more.
-Yoshi can have the Baby bros as a character, unique but inspired by the Ice Climbers (based on Yoshi's Island but with moves inspired by Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and several other appearances of the babies such as Mario Kart).
-The Kirby series has a lot of recurring characters, a lot of important ones who still aren't in Smash. You can't add all of them because they are too many, but at least the most important ones... I think that Adeleine & Ribbon, Marx and Dark Matter should be in the roster... you can add Magolor or Susie too if you want someone to represent the modern Kirby games, and a Metaknight echo too (Galacta or Dark)... there is a lot more (all the Dream Friends + some villains and spin-off characters), but you can't add too many characters from a single franchise.

Etc...

There are a lot of important and iconic Nintendo characters who are still missing, I'd prefer if they are added first, before they add more franchises into the party (especially third parties).
The only exceptions are pretty much Lip and Karate Joe, I think they deserve high priority too (Lip is referenced in Smash since Melee and still never appeared, and Rhithm Heaven needs some representation, Karate Joe is the best option IMO).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
sorry, this post is an error due to my connection not working properly
you can delete it

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In terms of one Nintendo character I could choose if I had the option to choose only one? It would be a tough decision choosing between Porky and Pig Ganon.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Before E3, I probably would have said Nintendo franchises already represented, but we've already gotten really great reveals that fit that classification. I still want more, mind you, but I'm going to have to shift the focus to unrepresented series like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, ARMS, Dillon's Rolling Western, a retro, etc. if you force my hand. It's close, though.
As for third parties, there are of course some characters I'd be happy to see like Banjo or Crono, but on the whole, I really feel like we have more than enough at this point.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I voted for pre-existing Nintendo franchises to get more representation. Never been a big fan of 3rd parties in Smash. Now that we have all the major 3rd party franchises associated with Nintendo added in either characters, stages, or assist trophies I don't want to see anymore. We're getting to the point where if we add someone like Crash Bandicoot (yes I know he had a bunch of ****ty games on Nintendo hardware after Naughty Dog lost the rights), Spyro, or Sora I feel like Smash will be losing it's identity and jumping into Mugen territory.

Especially when their is still a few major/recurring Nintendo characters left to add like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Porky Minch, Sylux, Captain Toad, Medusa, Impa, and Paper Mario. Or recurring Nintendo characters that aren't represented in Smash like Isaac from Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, or Chrous Kids. Also newer Nintendo characters like Octolings, Spring-Man, Dillion, Elma, Gen 7 Pokemon, and Rex & Pyra. All I'm saying is there is still a great deal of notable Nintendo characters to choose from.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I voted for pre-existing Nintendo franchises to get more representation. Never been a big fan of 3rd parties in Smash. Now that we have all the major 3rd party franchises associated with Nintendo added in either characters, stages, or assist trophies I don't want to see anymore. We're getting to the point where if we add someone like Crash Bandicoot (yes I know he had a bunch of ****ty games on Nintendo hardware after Naughty Dog lost the rights), Spyro, or Sora I feel like Smash will be losing it's identity and jumping into Mugen territory.

Especially when their is still a few major/recurring Nintendo characters left to add like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Porky Minch, Sylux, Captain Toad, Medusa, Impa, and Paper Mario. Or recurring Nintendo characters that aren't represented in Smash like Isaac from Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, or Chrous Kids. Also newer Nintendo characters like Octolings, Spring-Man, Dillion, Elma, Gen 7 Pokemon, and Rex & Pyra. All I'm saying is there is still a great deal of notable Nintendo characters to choose from.
Banjo-Kazooie, Goemon, and Geno are the only 3rd party characters I want left. In terms of Nintendo characters: Porky, Pig Ganon, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Skull Kid, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Elma, Hades, Medusa, Viridi, Mach Rider, and Wart.

If all these characters ever make it in, I'll never want anybody else.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Banjo-Kazooie, Goemon, and Geno are the only 3rd party characters I want left. In terms of Nintendo characters: Porky, Pig Ganon, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Skull Kid, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Elma, Hades, Medusa, Viridi, Mach Rider, and Wart.

If all these characters ever make it in, I'll never want anybody else.
Geno IMO doesn't really FEEL like a 3rd party technically he is but he did debut in a Mario game and hasn't appeared outside of the Mario series elsewhere. To me he's basically a Mario character. Not one that I'm clamoring for mind you but one I wouldn't be opposed to. Banjo is basically a long lost Nintendo franchise. Yes he's 3rd party now but to me him being added would feel Nintendo enough that I wouldn't mind their inclusion either. When I refer to 3rd party I'm talking characters like Crash, Spyro, Doom Guy, Sora, Leon S. Kennedy (though he would be the only one out of these I would be like cool okay), Vault Boy, Steve from Minecraft, Shantae, etc. You know THOSE type of characters...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Geno IMO doesn't really FEEL like a 3rd party technically he is but he did debut in a Mario game and hasn't appeared outside of the Mario series elsewhere. To me he's basically a Mario character. Not one that I'm clamoring for mind you but one I wouldn't be opposed to. Banjo is basically a long lost Nintendo franchise. Yes he's 3rd party now but to me him being added would feel Nintendo enough that I wouldn't mind their inclusion either. When I refer to 3rd party I'm talking characters like Crash, Spyro, Doom Guy, Sora, Leon S. Kennedy (though he would be the only one out of these I would be like cool okay), Vault Boy, Steve from Minecraft, Shantae, etc. You know THOSE type of characters...
Yeah Geno is basically a Nintendo character, but he is owned by Square Enix.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Voting for the first option, Dixie is literally the only one I'm asking for but I would like to see more Nintendo characters from already represented series get more of their core characters in if anything. That would increase the amount of theme matches I could do with them.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Voted pre-existing.

As much as I'm down with Chibi-Robo, Golden Sun and Dillon's Rolling Western getting a playable character, the overwhelming majority of characters I want are from pre-existing franchises. Admittedly a lot of the ones I want have already been deconfirmed but I feel the current franchises are bigger for a reason.

Tbh if we ever get to the stage where Smash has a playable Toad(Captain or regular), Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong and Meowth alongside like two other Zelda characters(Impa/Tingle/Vaati/Skull Kid/Midna/etc) I literally will never need to want for anything ever again as I feel like every important character will be in at that point.

StormC

Smash Hero
Most of my wants for Nintendo are from pre-existing franchises. Dixie, BDee, Gen 7 Pokemon, Ganon...

Outside of Banjo and Eggman I don’t feel strongly about any third party characters.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't choose between pre-existing franchises already represented and not represented. I really want all of the Nintendo all-stars to get in before they add any more 3rd party characters, except for a few exceptions, being Rayman and Banjo. I feel almost all of the series in the game could benefit from a few more characters, and a few first party franchises not in the game should be.

Super Mario has quite a few characters who should surely be playable. Captain Toad, or Toad in some capacity, is long overdue for a roster slot. He's a video game icon at this point and could have a really fun and interesting moveset. I don't see any reasons why he shouldn't be playable, I mean if Isabelle can be beaten up in a fighting game why can't Toad? And there's ways around Captain Toad being unable to jump. And while Waluigi has already been disconfirmed, he would also make a cool character. I mean c'mon, he's the ultimate troll.

The Legend of Zelda is criminally underrepresented in Smash. At this point, only the three characters representing the triforce are even a part of the game in a playable form. Impa is an important side character in the Zelda series and is tailor-made for Smash with her bodyguard status. And there's a handful of interesting villains to pick from. Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim would all be exceptional choices, even if the latter two appear as assist trophies all ready.

Donkey Kong finally got some much needed representation in Smash Ultimate with it's main villain King K. Rool coming aboard. But a very integral part of the DK Country crew is still missing. And no, it's not Kiddy. Dixie Kong has to be in Smash. While Peach and Daisy were busy being captured by their respective kidnappers, Zelda was in Ganondorf's clutch, and Palutena was in dier need of assistance by Pit, Dixie Kong was busy saving Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, which was a reverse role compared to other Nintendo games where the men saved the women. Dixie's moveset could revolve around her hair and guitar, and would be epic.

Kirby still only has three character in Smash Bros, which is surprising since it's one of Sakurai's series. Some people think the franchise is perfectly represented, but it's one of Nintendo's biggest series nowadays, probably fourth in importance behind Mario, Pokemon, and The Legend of Zelda. Speaking of fourth in importance, Bandana Dee takes that role in the Kirby series. Having him in Smash would be epic, as hes an adorable bada$$ with a spear. Marx and Daroach are two villains I personally want to see playable, and Adeleine appearing would be awesome too.

Star Fox has three characters currently which satisfies most people in the Smash community. Most people think of Krystal when discussing additional Star Fox character, but to me, it would be amazing to see Slippy Toad and Peppy Hare playable. This would mean the four preeminent members of the Star Fox Team would be in the game.

Kid Icarus is well represented in Smash, but it would be cool to see Medusa playable because she would be the first female villain in the game. She's pretty unique and could have a really interesting moveset.

Earthbound is sitting well in Ultimate with two characters. A lot of people want Ninten, but personally, I would prefer Porky Minch. This game is loaded with menacing antagonists, and Porky Minch could potentially be the coolest of them all.

Punch-Out!! doesn't need a second rep, but I will admit it would be awesome to see King Hippo join the fray. He could be another heavyweight in the roster, and function similar to Little Mac. He would play basically as if you were fighting as Giga Mac: a stronger version of Little Mac.

Animal Crossing, Metroid, Yoshi, WarioWare, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Splatoon, Ice Climber, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Game and Watch, and Wii Fit are all represented well right now and personally do not need additional characters.

Troykv

Smash Master
Outside of some Third Party; my most wanted are pretty much already represented series

#Micaiah4Smash

Top Bottom