• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Mewtwo Guide

M2 Is God

Smash Rookie
Disclaimer: This is my first post. Sorry if it's sloppy and lacks some information such as,frame data.

Mewtwo is by far my favorite character in the Smash series. He reflects on my defensive play style and is overall improved on in Smash Ultimate, however there have been negative changes to his moveset , which is what I'm here to discuss. I'll mention his best options rather than making a list of every move which saves time for both of us. XD Keep in mind,that a lot this information applies to Smash 4 as,I don't,have to,much experience in the game and don't know it applies to Ultimate. But they are good to have in mind.

Character Analysis
Mewtwo is a defensive glass cannon. Mewtwo is a bait heavy character that can punish hard with many options.He is gifted with powerful moves , great grounded mobility and one of the strongest projectiles in the game , allowing him to kill in a multitude of ways.Mewtwo can use these to force defensive options and by intimidation , being able to punish bad options fairly well allowing him to excel in the neutral game. His tilts have long ranch making them safer on sheild than others would if spaced correctly. However he doesn't come with out his weaknesses. Mewtwo is one of the lightest characters in the game. Combined with his floaty status he can be killed earlier than others. Mewtwo has a slow double jump , making it harder to escape mix up options and some 50/50's. So generally Mewtwo strives on playing as safe as possible amd capitalizing on the opponents mistakes.

Main Tools
Mewtwo has a few options that are generally good for him when it comes to his neutral game.

F-tilt : Forward tilt is faster , has increased range and knock back compared to Smash 4. It generally makes a good get off me tool and is decent for spacing. However it does not combo into anything as far as I know. You could connect a shadow ball possibly. It can be tilted up and down to hit at different angles.

D-tilt : Down tilt has increased end lag in Smash Ultimate. (Approximately 4 frames) This weakens it's usefulness as a combo starter and makes spacing with it harder as it may no longer be as safe on sheild as it was in Smash 4. Despite all this it still makes a good combo starter and has good range. It primarily combos into forward air , neutral air , up tilt , and up air(at higher percentage).

U-tilt : Up tilt is generally good as an anti air and as a potential combo extender. A devastating kill confirm Mewtwo had in Smash 4 was sour spot up tilt into up smash.(A lot of combos I reference will be based on Smash 4 because but not all are tested)

F-ait : Forward is one of Mewtwo's best moves as it is great in the neutral , being fast , dealing high damage and shield damage. It is great for spacing if buffered from a short hop and spaced away. However it can only combo at close range. On the plus side , it can be used as a combo starter , extender or finisher as it can combo into it's self at mid percentages and can be combined with down tilt at low to mid percentages. It is also good off stage as it can punish air dodges and is also able to kill very early if used right.

N-air : Although this move has seen some changes(8 hits instead of 9 and smaller hit boxes) it still can do what it did best in smash 4. Keep in mind that this is a very complex aireal(So don't ask me about as I would give a terrible explanation). Neutral air is primarily used to extend some comebo as it drags opponents with you. It also great for dragging people of stage. It can also be used as an out of shield option. Do not spam this in the neutral game because it has low priority meaning it will not trade of with a lot of other attacks.

B-air : Back air is a long reaching with good knock back. It is primarily used for keep opponents offstage.

Shadow ball : This chargeable special is one of Mewtwo's main tools in the neutral as it can condition opponents to shield or jump.
You can use it to b-reverse and wave bounce to mix up landing options. This move is generally good at dealing damage as it is one of the most powerful projectiles in the game

Some combos to keep in mind : (note dash requires crouch cancel)

Low percentages-
Dtilt , Fair , Fair , Fair ? (3rd Fair questionable)
Fair , Dtilt , Fair
Dtilt , Dilt
Landing Uair , Utilt , Uair
Nair , jab>follow up
Nair , Dtilt , fair
Utilt , U smash
Dtilt , Utilt , U smash

Mid percentages -
Dtilt , Uair
Landing Uair , Uair , Fair
Fair , Fair
Nair , dash , Dtilt , Uair , Fair
Fair , dash , Ftilt

High percentages-
Only moves that can really combo are down tilt and up air.

Hope you guys enjoy and I hope this is helpful. Let me know what you guys think about my post and feel free to give me feedback.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Good, but there is no mention of teleport mixups and tech chase setups and options. Needs a little more fundamental stuff but overall a great start! Definitely keep at it.

Skwoomy

Smash Rookie
Hey! I’ve been a mewtwo main for a little while and I was wondering if you know of any true combos mewtwo has.

M2 Is God

Smash Rookie
Hey! I’ve been a mewtwo main for a little while and I was wondering if you know of any true combos mewtwo has.
A lot of Mewtwos combos are mix ups. However Mewtwo does have a true combos
At low percents most of your combos will come from down tilt. You can combo into fair and nair. You can also start combos with fair into another fair or land it to connect with a down tilt.
Up tilt is a good combo starter at low and mid percents. It can combo into another up tilt, nair, up smash and up air(situational)
Landing nair is also good for starting combos if you pull it off sense it has set knockback except for the final hit. You can follow up with grab, dash attack, down tilt or forward tilt.
At mid percents your combos become more limited. Most of them will com from down tilt into fair and uair. Landing Uair can also start combos leading into fair, nair, another uair or up tilt.
At high percents you don't have really any combos. You can try to set up a kill with an uncharged shadowball into a grab.

Ershrek

Smash Rookie
NNID
Erickwasherelol
3DS FC
3995-7011-5351
Just a small add on to combos for low %. I found Utilt -> Utilt -> Bair works.
Or Utilt -> Utilt -> pivot Fair.

M2 Is God

Smash Rookie
Just a small add on to combos for low %. I found Utilt -> Utilt -> Bair works.
Or Utilt -> Utilt -> pivot Fair.
Thanks for pointing that out. I haven;t updated this guide yet but I'm working on it

Top Bottom