• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread

Starb0nes

Smash Rookie
Just when I think I've finally found my main, another interesting character comes to light. I have been playing a lot of :ultpichu:, :ultcloud:, :ultluigi:, and :ultridley: lately, but the other day I tried :ultsheik: and I really enjoyed playing him (well, her). So now I'm really not sure who I want to main, but I think my top 3 best characters would be :ultpichu:, :ultcloud:, and :ultsheik:. I really would love to get into the world of competitive Smash and compete in local tournaments but I need to practice a lot more since a lot of people I know in my city are really good. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Just when I think I've finally found my main, another interesting character comes to light. I have been playing a lot of :ultpichu:, :ultcloud:, :ultluigi:, and :ultridley: lately, but the other day I tried :ultsheik: and I really enjoyed playing him (well, her). So now I'm really not sure who I want to main, but I think my top 3 best characters would be :ultpichu:, :ultcloud:, and :ultsheik:. I really would love to get into the world of competitive Smash and compete in local tournaments but I need to practice a lot more since a lot of people I know in my city are really good. Decisions, decisions...
Have you joined any character servers on Discord? If you have a specific character in mind they're a great place to get information and tips.

As far as I know Sheik's major issue is that she struggles to kill, but I don't know anything about her good and bad matchups. That would be something to ask about. Same for your other characters. Try to find two that cover everyone in the game that you might fight, or as close as possible.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Starb0nes Starb0nes No offense, but in the second part of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga, I found out that Sheik is a boy and not a girl, because Zelda said she wanted to disguise herself as a Sheikah boy. Just gonna point that out.
Sheik's identity was originally male with male pronouns but Nintendo has switched to female pronouns over the years. And since we're never gonna see Sheik with her pants off, there's never gonna be a conclusive answer.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
In short: What is/are some good character(s) to learn the more tricky parts of playing smash? Stuff that requires the fingers to be rather quick, like Short hop reverse back air fast falls, b-reversing stuff, etc..

I feel like :ultmetaknight: Meta Knight was spoiling me by not requiring me to do such things to do well even though that sort of stuff can help improve my gameplay with him too. I've been using :ultlucario:Lucario lately because he forces me to do such things to do well at all because it's a huge improvement with how Lucario plays. However, I don't know if there's someone I should use instead to learn stuff like this.

Some back story as to why I'm having this problem despite playing over a thousand hours for those curious:
I have difficulties sticking to one character, so I'd at least like to get the more generalized technical stuff down first in case it might make it so I can lower the amount of characters I keep flip flopping between. I mainly win matches because I'm usually able to predict what the opponent is able to do, so I get to hit them many times and I just dodge their attacks like crazy. However I lack the tech skill to improve my mobility and punish game even more. Even simple characters need to do inputs that require fast finger movements from time to time.

In Smash 4 I realized I have certain habits based on the characters I usually played because at one point I was teaching a Pikachu main some tips to get vastly better at the game (who is now vastly better than me since he continued to improve even after all the advice I gave him and has a lot more time). I wanted to give more specific advice so I figured I'd pick up :4pikachu:Pikachu for a while because I've always wanted to try Pikachu. So after 100 matches with playing against people on For Glory I started fighting him and our playstyles were very different. While I try to switch things up, I'm generally a more passive kind of player by default, also learning the game off of :linkmelee:Link made me more likely to use thunder jolt in many situations whereas he seemed a bit hesitant to for the longest time. Since Pikachu was the only character he ever played, he had full control over how Pikachu moved, whereas I fumbled around a bit, but still managed to keep up because I had tricks up my sleeve that could help me despite me not inputing things correctly. Nowadays he knows those kinds of tricks and learned others as well, so I don't have that advantage anymore to balance it out so he just wins constantly now. Anyways, the point of mentioning this is that doing these pikachu dittos it made me take a hard look at how I used my other characters and realized that I use a lot of them in similar ways.

Problem is, at one point it was because I was forcing myself to use :4metaknight:Meta Knight (one of my two "Loyalty Mains") so I could get better at some of the harder things of smash. However I feel like Meta Knight is very lenient on some things because his playstyle doesn't feel like it gets effected as much by short hops and the like as much as other characters do because he's just so fast and just the way he plays in general. One example of this is realizing I am always in the air because it's so easy to bait and punish people by jumping near them with Meta Knight, and just do a tomahawk grab whenever I wanted. So I never used Meta Knight's grounded options much, so I played :4littlemac:Little Mac a while because he is no air fighter, and it vastly improved my Meta Knight in many ways. There are plenty of other smaller cases similar to that where I swapped to another character for a while, then swap back to Meta Knight and apply what I've learned on that character to Meta Knight and my Meta Knight becoming more well-rounded and just better in general. Also I should probably mention that Meta Knight was my worst character in Smash 4 until I picked up :4sheik:Sheik, and then it all just clicked and I did well with him and Meta Knight became my best character for the rest of Smash 4. So sometimes I feel like when I play Meta Knight, I'm just stagnating and not really improving because Meta Knight can just kinda keep relying on his other strengths because the benefits he gets out of doing other tech isn't as strong as the benefits of some other character that really needs those benefits.

For now I've been trying to stick to :ultlucario:Lucario (The other of my two "Loyalty Mains") to learn these sorts of things since Lucario has to use these things constantly if he wants to be quick. He doesn't float in the air as long as Smash 4 Lucario, but he still floats quite a bit, so I need to short hop fast fall. Lucario also has a very heavy emphasis on b-reverse shenanigans. While not everyone can b-reverse, and even if they can it's not much, It's still another option that a very large majority of the roster can use, and :ultmetaknight: Meta Knight doesn't really benefit from b-reversing like most characters do. I feel like with Lucario, he encourages me to use this sort of tech frequently, whereas Meta Knight I can just get away with flying in the air and doing ocassional grabs when I should be improving.

If there's a better character for learning how to do more general tech related stuff I'd like to know.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I understand your point and my experience is not that different. I have discovered smash with ssbu and have been gravitating between Wolf and Falco from the beginning. I am still a bit better with Wolf, mostly because he is easier to master I think. But I recently realized that I was improving more when playing Falco. If I play Wolf for one or two weeks it looks like I am just getting worse, spamming projectiles and moves like Dash attack or FTilt and almost never going off stage. Playing Falco I have no choice to do a lot FF aerials, off stage attacks, reverse Bair and develop baits and punish etc... Going back to Wolf the character feels very easy and my gameplay is more precise...until I let bad habits come back. I like these two spacies but I m gonna try to stick to Falco even if he is less rewarding for an intermediate (at best) player like me, because Falco may help me to become a better player in the long term. Just personal experience.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I understand your point and my experience is not that different. I have discovered smash with ssbu and have been gravitating between Wolf and Falco from the beginning. I am still a bit better with Wolf, mostly because he is easier to master I think. But I recently realized that I was improving more when playing Falco. If I play Wolf for one or two weeks it looks like I am just getting worse, spamming projectiles and moves like Dash attack or FTilt and almost never going off stage. Playing Falco I have no choice to do a lot FF aerials, off stage attacks, reverse Bair and develop baits and punish etc... Going back to Wolf the character feels very easy and my gameplay is more precise...until I let bad habits come back. I like these two spacies but I m gonna try to stick to Falco even if he is less rewarding for an intermediate (at best) player like me, because Falco may help me to become a better player in the long term. Just personal experience.
Ah yeah I was playing Wolf when I tried him out. He felt way too easy. I felt like he was doing all the work as opposed to me. That blaster is just really really good. They nerfed it a bit since I last played but I'm sure it's still good. One thing that helped me immensely when trying to get better with Wolf is forcing myself to never use the blaster because the blaster is just so useful in so many situations since it was very easy to just do nothing but use blaster to deal all the damage until KO % with blaster. I got better so much faster once I handicapped myself like that.

I will say this about bad habits. I get the impression that if a character starts feeling too easy, you need to start experimenting more. The toughest players I play against regularly are always trying crazy stuff to see if it works or not so they always have to think in depth at what they are doing all the time even when they are playing rather basic characters. It can be hard to not auto-pilot sometimes. Which is why I think I like playing Sheik and Lucario so much, because they Lucario (especially at low%) and Sheik have to get very creative if they want to get any decent amount of damage done, or get a KO. I feel Wolf makes it easy to auto-pilot, so it's a bit more of a subconscious drain on the mind to try and force yourself to think about what you are doing to play better when you could be taking the easy way out with something that works easily.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
I swear
To god
just because I main little mac
I get so much ****ing **** for no reason whatsoever i swear Im Going to snap
Nobody takes you seriously Ever. I go on to palucord and ask for MU advice and they literally said pray you get FD
What the ****
When you lose with mac they say the character is bad and when you win they say "C stick spam"
That ****ing C stick is set to tiltstick mother ****ers im sick of it. People spreading arrogant misinformation about a character just because they can.
I just want to play ****ing Mac

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Maining ANYBODY in Smash by CalebCity
Took me a long time to get over people complaining about any character I've played. I like to learn all the characters in any game before I pick favorites, and I gotta say no matter who you pick people will complain. However, once you realize this is basically just bad players or people trying to sabotage your mindset to win, you'll be more confident and happier with the character you main since players that are good and aren't toxic aren't going to be complaining like that. Especially since they realize they need to play around it because all characters in the game are made differently.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Do you think some characters should be more recommended or avoided for intermediate players developing their game or even beginners? Are some characters technical to a point that they may hold back players who are not at the competitive level? I m talking about casual players who take the game seriously, and aim to play locals when they are good enough.
I m not naive and I know that no character will carry a bad player, but do you think it may be faster to achieve a level suited for locals using some (easier maybe) characters? Or it makes little or no difference and you may improve at the same speed whatever character you main?

Hedgehugs

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7897-0445-8488
so im most likely dropping :ultpeach:

as someone who plays this game exclusively online I just don't like how I can work combos in training or in an offline match against my brother and then when I try them online I'm surely to never get them. makes me feel like the effort I put into this character ain't really worth it rip

maybe I'm just booty cheeks but idk. any peach/daisy mains wanna be a big sis and give me some advice for using peach effectively online? or am I dumb?

besides that; can anyone recommend me characters that either play similarly to :ultsonic: or would be good secondaries?

WFTFTW

Smash Rookie
I think Wii Fit Trainer is a good first choice. She's a very fast character with a lot of options. 2 Projectiles, a damage buff, amazing aerial game.

a puff main who exists

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm looking for a tertiary main.
My main is (of course) :ultjigglypuff:, and my secondaries are :ultwario: and :ultpichu:.
I play a more aggressive Puff, approaching in the air and pressuring my opponent with quick f-airs and n-airs.
I'm looking for a character who has some or all of the qualities below:

-Has a fast projectile that can lead into a grab or combo.
-Good at mindgames.
-Can deal with camping effectively. (e.g. has a reflector or can dodge well.)
-Has good and easy to perform damage-racking combos.

Right now, I'm interested in :ultmario:.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Hello! I'm looking for a tertiary main.
My main is (of course) :ultjigglypuff:, and my secondaries are :ultwario: and :ultpichu:.
I play a more aggressive Puff, approaching in the air and pressuring my opponent with quick f-airs and n-airs.
I'm looking for a character who has some or all of the qualities below:

-Has a fast projectile that can lead into a grab or combo.
-Good at mindgames.
-Can deal with camping effectively. (e.g. has a reflector or can dodge well.)
-Has good and easy to perform damage-racking combos.

Right now, I'm interested in :ultmario:.
Why?

It's generally advised against playing more than two characters. Three is already stretching yourself thin. You should pick a single main and a secondary who covers that main's bad matchups, assuming they have any significant ones. Check out the Wario character Discord server. I don't know his matchup spread but I know he's considered pretty amazing in this game.

a puff main who exists

Smash Rookie
Why?

It's generally advised against playing more than two characters. Three is already stretching yourself thin. You should pick a single main and a secondary who covers that main's bad matchups, assuming they have any significant ones. Check out the Wario character Discord server. I don't know his matchup spread but I know he's considered pretty amazing in this game.
I guess you're right. Having a lot of characters can get really confusing at times.
Does that mean I just drop Pichu and Mario entirely, though?

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
You don't have to, but that'd be my suggestion. The fewer characters you focus on, the faster you're likely to improve with them.

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
developing fewer characters means you get to put more effort into them: whereas developing more characters lets you pick who you want for matchups and essentially be unpredictable.
Its your choice really. Usually id say 2 mains 2 pockets but your free to develop whoever you want. Just pick who clicks.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Do you think some characters should be more recommended or avoided for intermediate players developing their game or even beginners? Are some characters technical to a point that they may hold back players who are not at the competitive level? I m talking about casual players who take the game seriously, and aim to play locals when they are good enough.
I m not naive and I know that no character will carry a bad player, but do you think it may be faster to achieve a level suited for locals using some (easier maybe) characters? Or it makes little or no difference and you may improve at the same speed whatever character you main?
Playing a "normal" character helps immensely with getting used to the basics of smash and trying to learn stuff that can be applied to everyone. I mean if you play someone like :ulticeclimbers:Ice Climbers or :ultmegaman:Megaman you'll be learning how to do a gameplay style that only those characters can play, so it might take significantly longer to get the idea of the general basics of the game since you'll focus on what makes them special too much to focus on the basics.

Make sure you are looking at guides, and perhaps look at your character's forum/discord/whatever to see if there's some ways to improve faster if you are trying to go for a loyalty main thing. If not then just go for a "normal" character so you can pick up any character much faster since it'll carry over... I say "normal" with quotations because everyone has something unique about them.

I'll mention a few characters to try out for people trying to get better at the basics of the game (I'm sure I missed some):
:ultmario: I feel like everyone should try mario at some point since he has a little bit of everything, but he's still somewhat basic while allowing you to improve his gameplay by adding many techniques that can be applied across the roster. You can't go wrong with Mario.
:ultlucina: Lucina is a very basic character to learn the game, and will help you understand disjoints
:ultike: Ike is also a very basic sword character. Personally I use Ike as a tool to get my brain back into the competitive mindset if I've taken a long break from smash since he's so basic that you're basically forced to watch the opponent.
:ultcloud: Cloud is rather basic as well, but has limit gimmick to spice things up. Also his poor recovery will force you to learn when to use/not use your double jump
:ultfox::ultwolf: I've often seen Fox be suggested as a character to begin with, but I do have my doubts about that because he's very fast and I worry that it might overwhelm people in the learning process. Though for more intermediate players I think he is good. Also good to practice short hopping with since he falls to the ground so fast. Wolf is also pretty darn easy to pick up and is rather "normal". If you find yourself spamming blaster, feel free to try preventing yourself from using for a few matches so you better understand how to use your other moves. It would be nice to assume that Falco would be good too, but Falco just seems very tricky to use in general compared to the other spacies.
:ultfalcon: Captain Falcon is another rather "normal" fighter that can help you learn basic stuff.
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: Specifically for learning why people want to use projectiles, and how to use them effectively. That way you know how to cover those options when you fight projectile users or to know if you want to be one yourself. Suggesting Samus because other zoners will tempt newer players into constantly spamming projectiles constantly that they don't really think about why they are using the projectiles, samus also can do quite a bit up close. Also her bombs kinda force you to remember that staling getting back to the stage is a thing, which is something you'll need to remember for other characters. On a side note Samus (along with :ultsnake:Snake, but he's too tricky for people learning basics) taught me the importance of using tilts. (Let's just say learning smash off of :linkmelee:Link+:marthmelee:Marth and never changing c+stick to tilt attack made it so smash attacks were just faster and easier for me for a long time).

Now one thing I've found that was interesting as I played Smash overtime is that sometimes playing another character can help me learn to play better on another character. :4metaknight:Meta Knight was my worst character in Smash 4 until I picked up :4sheik:Sheik and it all clicked. After a while I realized I was abusing mid air jumps too much to the point where I was ignoring Meta Knight's grounded options, so I played :4wiremac:Little Mac for a while. When I went back to :4metaknight:Meta Knight I was much more balanced with aerial/grounded attacks that I significantly improved my gameplay. Perhaps there's something like that for you, but you just gotta know what problems you have first.

Right now I'm taking yet another break from Meta Knight, this time to focus on the other loyalty main I have, :ultlucario:Lucario. Reason for this is that Lucario is sluggishly slow in the air compared to pretty much any other character I play, so he's kinda forced to have to short hop fast fall if he doesn't want to be an easy target. Whereas :ultmetaknight:Meta Knight is such a fast faller and jumps rather low that it doesn't matter too much so I don't do it as much as I should with Meta Knight. However Meta Knight still does get improved by this, so using a character that absolutely requires short hop fast falling to function will make me use it much more frequently when I go back to Meta Knight, speeding up his gameplay a little bit. Also :ultlucario:Lucario is probably the character that relies on b-reversing (and related tech) more than other characters in the roster, so if I drop Meta Knight at some point, at least I'll be able to do that with Lucario, or b-reverse with practically everyone else in the roster. Also, I'm often used to overwhelming opponents with Meta Knight's or Sheik's speed, or by using projectiles to intimidate opponents, or swordies large disjoints. Lucario has a bit harder time doing that than any other character I play, so learning how to fight when the opponent has an advantage can be useful since other characters can let me be lazy about my options.

ShadowFalcon

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7977-3585-6382
I find Captain Falcon:falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon::ultfalcon: to be a easy read hard punish kinda fighter and a good option for intermediate players. His neutral game can be tricky against those little critters but can get some damage racking. If you like combo characters I suggest picking up my man CAPTAIN FALCON. Here is a guide: Falcon Guide from F A T A L I T Y. If you a 100 iq then you can read opponents and give 'em a good ol' FALCO - PAWWNCH. But if not that's alright just down taunt before you do dittos

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, just stopping by to pick your brains a bit. LOL

As you can see below my post, I enjoy playing three characters at a time in Ultimate, but I've mostly focused on Piranha Plant as a true main since the character released, because I find them to be a good fit for the way I enjoy playing (mind games, quirky personality, unique moveset).

Recently, I've been open to perhaps switching out one of the other two, or both, if I find something I like better, as certain matchups can feel like more trouble than they're really worth. Granted, some characters are just frustrating no matter the matchup, I understand that, but I guess what I'm saying is that some of them feel like the level of frustration could probably be toned down at least just a little bit if my characters had slightly better tools for dealing with them. I wouldn't call myself an easily aggravated player, as I generally enjoy looking for ways to get around problems even if my character isn't designed to do so (I mained Jigglypuff for all of Sm4sh, so I know what struggling is), but it would make sense to me if my alternate characters dealt with Piranha Plant's weaknesses better.

With all of that out of the way, one example of a matchup that feels more frustrating than it has to be is Samus (and I'm not just talking about online). Piranha Plant has a very vertical moveset, not so strong horizontally, so Samus is really good at zoning and walling out. Thankfully Plant is pretty heavy, so doesn't die all that quickly, but Samus is also very heavy, so by the time I actually get in and do some damage, it's likely I've already received more than her. A couple other example matchups are the likes of Young Link and Pikachu, both of which are quick and have the projectiles necessary to make life pretty difficult. I don't typically mind rushdown archetypes all that much as Plant, since they usually have to keep themselves in check so as not to get punished heavily by ptooie or OoS up smash, but both of these examples have strong projectiles for the slow campy game and don't have to worry all that much about clobbering my shield. Samus is probably still the biggest deal though when looking for an alternate character for me.

I'm mostly open to anyone, but just so you know, I don't find the idea of playing Mr. Game & Watch appealing (even if I do like him as a character). Your suggestion doesn't have to be a hard counter for Samus, but as I say, just someone who maybe deals better with her. Bonus points if it's a character that doesn't get much representation in the community, 'cause that kind of makes things more fun for me personally, as well.

Thanks ahead of time! :)

Last edited:

durandal

Smash Rookie
As if selecting a main in Smash Bros. Wii U wasn't tough enough...

View attachment 183387

(Thread creation approved by Cyndane, Legendary Spirit Trainer, Sucumbio, NonSpecificGuy and Liberation!)

(Credit to Drs. FalKoopa who created this thread for Smash for Wii U and inspired this version for Ultimate)​

Welcome to the Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread! The roster in this game stands at a staggering 74 characters, and will expand to include 80 by the time the DLC is distributed. As such, it can become quite the daunting undertaking to select a main or mains in this game. The objective of this thread is to serve as a collaborative center to guide players who are unsure of what selection to make with their main characters. So feel free to ask for and provide advice!
Please treat each other with common courtesy in this thread; we all have different opinions. With that out of the way, let's get to finding our mains! Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

JustDarkFire

Smash Rookie
I’ve mained :ultsonic:, ever since Smash 4, and continue to play him as my main along side two other characters (:ultpichu::ultpacman:) I usually end up having to go extremely deep to get kills in the first place, and while I don’t have a problem with the thrill of doing so, when a Heavy Weight comes around, it becomes rather difficult to kill them simply because traditional edge guarding doesn’t work. My sonic is also much more aggressive than passive, so that could be a factor. But Yeah, I’m just wondering if there’s anyone out there that could possibly help me with my situation or just give me a few tips overall. (Mainly tips or advice about both Snake and Donkey Kong though, and while he might not count, Cloud as well.)
Thank you!:ultsnake::ultdk::ultcloud:

JustDarkFire

Smash Rookie
I’ve mained :ultsonic:, ever since Smash 4, and continue to play him as my main along side two other characters (:ultpichu::ultpacman:) I usually end up having to go extremely deep to get kills in the first place, and while I don’t have a problem with the thrill of doing so, when a Heavy Weight comes around, it becomes rather difficult to kill them simply because traditional edge guarding doesn’t work. My sonic is also much more aggressive than passive, so that could be a factor. But Yeah, I’m just wondering if there’s anyone out there that could possibly help me with my situation or just give me a few tips overall. (Mainly tips or advice about both Snake and Donkey Kong though, and while he might not count, Cloud as well.)
(Oh, and I also forgot to mention, I’m not a beginner. I’ve managed to make my Sonic reach around 6,200,000. So, more advanced “tips” ig, would be nice.)

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
What do you mean, "traditional edgeguarding doesn't work?" The vast majority of heavies have very abusable recoveries and edgeguarding is the best option to use against them, by design.

JustDarkFire

Smash Rookie
What do you mean, "traditional edgeguarding doesn't work?" The vast majority of heavies have very abusable recoveries and edgeguarding is the best option to use against them, by design.
Maybe it’s more so my playstyle if anything. Normally, the way I edge guard is by going off stage to try and hit a fair or spike with a dair, and come back on stage with ease. Most other heavies don’t give me too much problems because I know how to deal with them, but despite me having the general idea of how to edgeguard the 3 characters I mentioned above, sometimes, I just can’t pull it off. And, as I’m writing this, thinking about it now, there are a few methods I haven’t focused on, like Spring and Homing Atk off stage. So it could be just habits I need to work on.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Passive Sonic can be super effective since you can whiff punish almost anything and run away after. I just find that most people lack the will to play this way, and hope that more people will try it in the future.
I'm still maining ZSS, with a Corrin secondary (shelved for the time being) and a pocket Meta Knight. I'm happy to report I'm enjoying myself with this small clutch of characters. The potential addition I'm looking into atm is Young Link, but it's still awhile into the future whether I retain him or not

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm looking for a character who compliments my Diddy the most in terms of matchups. And am thinking of picking up Link. Anyone know which matchups Link excells in, and which he loses? I think these two would compliment each other nicely.

FruitLoop

Smash Apprentice
Alright so I've been a DDD solo main for over a year (Mained him in Smash 4) and I REALLY think I need a co-main/secondary since DDD at higher levels of play just won't cut it.

Generally some things I'm sort of looking for in a char:

- Being good on wifi is also a pretty big + because of the outbreak and the fact that I don't always have time to go to locals (They dont have to be godlike or anything on wifi they just can't be like Meta Knight or Sheik levels of bad and still be functionally good)

- I'm okay with non-top/high tier chars, I don't really want a super low or bottom tier char but i'm fine with playing mid tiers as long as they cover my MUs

- They can struggle against most swordies and I'm okay with that since i'll be using DDD anyways for that mu.

- Having good OoS is nice but i don't need super super good OoS (Especially if i have over-rely on it like G&W)

- I kind of want some power in between hits and a character with a generally strong advantage state (But I don't have to spend 6 hours labbing like Luigi or Icies)

- Having a little bit of range is nice but it's not required

- I kind of want a character with a solid recovery, I don't really like getting upsetted. It doesn't need to be super free as a recovery but it should be reasonably good (Bowser tier recovery is the minimum for me imo).

- Having grab combos is something i'd like and an extra kill throw is always nice. Again not required but it's a nice to have.

- I'm okay with having a character with a not so great disadvantage but I don't want it to be bottom 5/10 bad

- I also want a character that's just good at anti-zoning and i'm okay if the character is either fast or slow.

- I'm fine with playing campy or playing aggro.

- I want a character that has a solid aerial prowess since i'm more of an aerials kind of guy rather than ground game kind of guy.

- I do want a character that can reliably take stocks without having to either take forever to get the opponent to their kill % and without having to practice very hard to learn and overly precise kill confirms (Like sheik again) while I want a character that doesn't have ways to land their kills very well even if some of their individual moves can kill kind of early (Like DDD)

- Having CQC is nice but it's not a requirement and i can live without it.

I overall most importantly want a char that can cover D3's mus. And more importantly cover the mus I hate playing. I thought about playing R.O.B or Bowser but I really don't think they're good at covering the mus I don't like alongside covering the mus that DDD is super bad at dealing with. It sounds like a lot of requirements and honestly I don't think any char fills out every nice to have that I want but having a char that can fill out at least 3/4ths of what i am looking for while doing good vs any of the chars that I don't like according to the spread down below would be REALLLLLLLLLY helpful.

download (4).png

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
My favorite character is Falco because I love taking stocks off stage and his stylish combos. However I was wondering if I I could find a character that may be played in a relatively similar way but a bit easier.I like Wolf too but his offstage game is too limited and I find frustrating how many stocks I lose due to his s....y recovery. I tried Pit but did not connect with the character. Would you have a recommendation? ROB maybe? Or Wario?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I've played Pac-Man for a long time but I gotta learn fundamentals now but I still like a projectile style character. Any character that is less geared towards zoning and set-ups but still has a tinge of projectile play?

Naptec

Smash Cadet
I've played Pac-Man for a long time but I gotta learn fundamentals now but I still like a projectile style character. Any character that is less geared towards zoning and set-ups but still has a tinge of projectile play?
First characters I can think of are :ultpit: (maybe more of :ultdarkpit:) and :ultdoc:. There aren't the only ones tho, like I think :ultgreninja: or :ultsheik: can also do the job?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
My favorite character is Falco because I love taking stocks off stage and his stylish combos. However I was wondering if I I could find a character that may be played in a relatively similar way but a bit easier.I like Wolf too but his offstage game is too limited and I find frustrating how many stocks I lose due to his s....y recovery. I tried Pit but did not connect with the character. Would you have a recommendation? ROB maybe? Or Wario?
I think R.O.B. is a great choice as he excels in both combos and edgeguarding. Wario isn’t the best choice as I’ve never really seen him do much offstage before, but I’m not a Wario main so idk. I highly recommend Captain Falcon, Pikachu, and Joker as all three of them excel at combos and offstage KO’s. There are probably more, but these are the first characters that come to mind.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I think R.O.B. is a great choice as he excels in both combos and edgeguarding. Wario isn’t the best choice as I’ve never really seen him do much offstage before, but I’m not a Wario main so idk. I highly recommend Captain Falcon, Pikachu, and Joker as all three of them excel at combos and offstage KO’s. There are probably more, but these are the first characters that come to mind.
Thanks. Recently I have been trying Yoshi. I'm still struggling a little bit to KO offstage because of his mobility and timing being very different than spacies. Really enjoying Yoshi though.

Last edited:

naam

Smash Rookie
So I have been playing ultimate since it came out, and been struggling to find a main. I cycled through so many characters as potential mains but there was nobody that i felt really clicked with me. About a month ago I decided to give Ken a try and he is the first character that actually makes me enjoy playing and wanting to put in the effort to improve. Because of the pandemic and everything I have been restricted to playing online. I play on quickplay and I join a handful of online tournaments as well, however I am finding no success while playing Ken, losing about 80% of the time. I am wondering if its worth it to continue and stick it out with him or if I should continue my search again for a new main.

Top Bottom