• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread

Omnos

Smash Cadet
I am good at strategy and reading my opponent.
I have mediocre reaction speed which holds me back from playing fast characters like Fox.

What would be a good main to pick who is high tier, strategic, and doesn't require fast reaction time?
:ultdk: might be for you. He's pretty objectively regarded as the best heavy weight. He definitely fits the wait and punish your opponents mistakes kind of play style. :ultridley: would be another suggestion. Amazing n-air and all around really solid for a larger character.

rayhaku809

Smash Rookie
Also, despite the losses: were the majority close games? Did the games have non-ridiculous rulesets (3 min 3 stock,l is a bad ruleset for example)?
A lot were close games that's true. A few rule sets were janky but I also won a bunch of those. I have mine set to 7 min 3 stock battlefield.

If you want to leave a character, try to do it foe the right reasons. Here's a couple good reasons to ditch a character: I don't like this character or how they play, I hit my ceiling in what this character can do or I don't think this character's qualities will do well in this meta (for example, I think that Sheik will be mediocre to terrible in the meta because her risk vs reward took a HUGE decline since her frame data+speed is not as impressive anymore while her frailty is as suspect as ever).
What I like about her Palutena in this particular order is her recovery, projectile game, down throw to fair/nair, hard to challenge yet easy up-air kills, grab range, warp ledge cancels, minor invincibility on dash attack and bair(character specific though) and the massive range on up smash(also character specific).
My few dislikes are pretty significant imo; all tilts with extended hitbox frames but being one of the most punishable, jab's poor range, dsmash covering both sides simultaneously but being really weak I almost never use it, dair being almost impossible to spike with, and can't fast fall with short hop nair.
My stance on her counter/reflect is pretty neutral.

BTW I don't buy your explanation that you hit your limit because you're basing your future with the char on a W/L rate and there are soo many things you can do/learn with any character (especially Palutena).
Also, if you liked using Zard in 4, you should check out Ridley. A lot of people are underestimating him rn and as such he's an under the radar threat that few people really know the MU.
I've been working on my mix-ups out of a dash dance and cutting my For Glory rolling. But my tilts and jabs have been costing me more games than my misspaced aerials.
I actually like Ridley a lot. I've been trying him out these past few days per your suggestion. The only things I don't care for are his easily edge-guardable recovery/offstage options, down b, fair, and dair.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Last edited:

MirorBee

Smash Rookie
What is the most effective way to utilize each of the movesets within pokemon trainer? I am considering maining these pokemon in ultimate and right now im trying to get better with them and would like to know how to better use them.

PrinceOfTheNerds

Smash Rookie
What is the most effective way to utilize each of the movesets within pokemon trainer? I am considering maining these pokemon in ultimate and right now im trying to get better with them and would like to know how to better use them.
I think it would be best to hop onto the Pokemon trainer discord or check out the character in the character discussion.

Bacheleren

Smash Rookie
Hey bois, the time has come for me. I'm having a hard time picking a main.
I don't play tournaments, I play with friends only, but one of them is a tryhard who plays FE's swordies very well, as well as other characters.
To get better at fundamentals (like he is) and train a bit, I need to pick a main, and I'd prefer if it was one that has an ok (or good) matchup vs. :ultroy:/:ultmarth:/:ultsnake:. I often play with 3/4 players as well (don't care too much about that, 1v1 is where it matters to get better).
My other friend is a casual Kirby player who surprisingly does not get tired of picking Kirby the whole day and spams down-B from a distance very, very frequently, lol

Here's what I have in mind (not necessairily in order):

• :ultzelda:: Pretty cute, fun to play, I'm seriously considering playing her, but think I might end up being a "jerk" by zoning too much with projectiles, and might not help me get good in close combat and with edgeguarding (outside of the stage). I don't think I'll ever go as far as mastering Up-special cancel, either. I also think being generally considered lower tier and being a bit slow might hinder me.
  • :ultpikachu:: Love to play him, but have a hard time finding kills (despite high damage). I end up doing good but losing due to inability to find kills.
  • :ultinkling:: Having a good time with her lately. Plays a little bit slower than :ultpikachu:, but roller makes it so much more viable to find kills with a smash attack. I like :ultpikachu: or :ultzelda: just a little bit more than Inkling, but currently she's the top pick for getting serious, to me. The pain mechanic might pull me back a bit since I'm a scrub and will have to deal with that on top of learning other stuff.
  • :ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpokemontrainerf:: They're fun, lots of options, I like pokémen, but I think seriously learning PT requires much more than another character. There's the whole issue of getting great with 3 characters rather than 1, so I think I'd rather get casually good with him only (although not yet discarded).
    • :ultsquirtle: has a super all-over-the-place aggressive play, not unlike :ultpikachu:
    • :ultivysaur: has a few closing options (despite I'm not being too good with him besides Uair)
    • :ultcharizard: - I suck with him, don't usually play heavies
  • :ultlucario:: I somehow find his attacks too slow for what he should be doing and for how light he is, but he's also an edgy character I like. Never saw guides or anything on him, so maybe I'd be able to git gud if I tried?
    • :ultmewtwo:: Similar to Lucario, but he's too big and even slower.
  • :ultike:: The swordie I'd play to match other swordies' ranges. Having strong Smash attacks is great for 3-4 players since the battlefield is a mess. He seems to be good (and hyped due to recent results) and not too hard to get good with.
  • :ultcorrinf:: Very fun to play, I like her toolkit, but I feel she's a bit underwhelming when playing (mostly slow, have a hard time connecting my attacks).
  • :ultwario:: Another great option. He's funny, seems nice to play, never gave him much of a try, but would be willing to.
  • :ultmegaman:: He's so different. Makes him very fun, and I'd also love to give him a try, but also makes he possibly too hard for me while trying to get good at fundamentals. Might not transfer his skills to other characters.
  • :ultsonic:: Sonic Adventure 2 "City Escape", I'd play for the meme if he's fun and good enough

Final considerations (TL;DR):
  • Honestly, though, in the end, I might be really struggling between :ultpikachu: and :ultinkling: since they have the most potential, although I have a hard time killing with :ultpikachu:, despite liking him a bit better.
  • If I heard that :ultzelda: is really good and I should totally learn her and I'll be great if I do, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think that's the case, and you need to be a much better player than I am to succeed with her.
  • In the future, if I get good at the basics, I might end up swapping for some of the characters on the end of the list (:ultsonic:, :ultwario:, :ultmegaman:, :ultlucario:), since they also look fun a unique, but I don't think I'd pick them right now (:ultwario: being the most likely atm).

Sorry if I talked too much. Just want to put all options on the table. I need to help you guys help me, I guess?
Have a nice weekend, bois, and thanks for giving me some of your time. :)

Last edited:

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
are you playing online? if you play people better than your friend it will help you stomp your friend

kimohno

Smash Rookie
Tier List is so NOT important dir playing your friends. It’s for 1v1 tournament high level play. If you loose with Zelda vs swordies, Tier list is not the problem

SnorlaxPayUrTax

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4000-8376-2440
I've been trying To find a main since ultimate came out and I've narrowed it down to greninja or wario, bowser is my secondary as I feel he has way too many unfavourable matchups and struggles on certain stages. Greninja feels a bit weak to me and like I have to be way better than my opponent to get similiar results? Wario seems fun and more rewarding but I can't decide so help me pick!!

Pemz

Smash Rookie
Both are good picks. Greninja might be a bit harder from what i know.

Bacheleren

Smash Rookie
are you playing online? if you play people better than your friend it will help you stomp your friend
Nope. Kinda expensive for where I live and I've been hearing bad things about the online service (internet is not the best here either, etc). Might give it a try after I improve some and get really into it.

Tier List is so NOT important dir playing your friends. It’s for 1v1 tournament high level play. If you loose with Zelda vs swordies, Tier list is not the problem
I am 100% sure that I am the problem, make no mistakes
I do have that in mind. However, tier lists imply to me that the character might not be too well rounded, having flaws that my (better) friend might explore, and those might keep me from getting the best out of the character. I feel a bit awkward playing her since she's a bit slow, etc, and that makes me think I might not be able to react appropriately.
I also read (in the discord) that Zelda struggles vs. swordies, so might add some truth to my attitude, I guess.

I'm probably gonna put some effort into her, though.

Follow-up question:
Do any of the characters in my list have better MUs vs swordies (:ultroy::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultcloud:, maybe :ultlink:) and/or :ultsnake:? Mostly for information's sake, and maybe secondary/pocket character, although I understand the importance of a main for improving significantly in the game.

Thanks a lot for your time, guys. :)

Last edited:

ChasingMyRegrets

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2080-2590-7363
Switch FC
SW-2030-3799-8609
Personally, I believe Wario would be the best pick.

He is fairly stronger than Greninja and has great aerial attacks and air speed.
Greninja is much quicker and in my opinion harder to deal with, but he doesn't really pack a punch like most characters and is slightly harder to play.

I'd try them both out in Practice and find out who feels more comfortable for you to use. I also highly recommend looking up combo videos and tournament matches with these characters to find out how to play these characters at a higher level and from there, find out who you prefer playing. :)

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking for a character whose game plan revolves around forcing the opponent offstage and then edge guarding, (and can do so effectively) but also has fast aerials. My main thoughts in this regard are Pichu/Pikachu or inkling, but not quite sure.
oof, isn't getting ignored fun?
But to reiterate, an insane aerial game, speed, edguards. That's all I really need in a character. Even if I get oppressed on the ground, all I want/need is the air. also, I'm not good, so a character who can be learned on a basic level easily would be nice, but I'm not opposed to putting in work.
I'm also hoping to pick up a sword character and a projectile character for the sake of matchups, am looking into Simon and Lucina, (Because they are both hotter than there counterparts, fite me) but would love suggestions. Thanks.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
I'm looking for some insight into picking a good zoning character.
I've used :ultyoshi: since getting competitive at 64 and feel like he's carried over well in all the smash games. He's part of my muscle memory and I just get it with him.
But I want a secondary that zones as that is more my playstyle. So I narrowed it to three and just wanted some general opions on which would compliment the all rounder Yoshi.
:ultsamus: is my other main since 64 and a character also ingrained into my muscle memory. Mostly though she just never really comes out on top when I play real people. I feel like I get her but can't get a decent result.
:ultsimon: is the one character I wanted in smash since the beginning because I love castlevania. I play the games so I feel like I can play him. Kinda like :ultmegaman: (another consideration). He's still new though and that recovery can be really hot or cold. I value survivalbilty in a character. I do also love his range and that music.
:ultlink: has always been on my radar as a good defensive all around option. Now he's got bomb traps and tricks up his sleeve which I dig. Also I love that his shield stops projectiles.
Thanks in advance for the replies and your time.

ToonTwink101

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1520-2582-6239
I've used :ultyoshi: since getting competitive at 64 and feel like he's carried over well in all the smash games. He's part of my muscle memory and I just get it with him.
But I want a secondary that zones as that is more my playstyle. So I narrowed it to three and just wanted some general opions on which would compliment the all rounder Yoshi.
:ultsamus: is my other main since 64 and a character also ingrained into my muscle memory. Mostly though she just never really comes out on top when I play real people. I feel like I get her but can't get a decent result.
:ultsimon: is the one character I wanted in smash since the beginning because I love castlevania. I play the games so I feel like I can play him. Kinda like :ultmegaman: (another consideration). He's still new though and that recovery can be really hot or cold. I value survivalbilty in a character. I do also love his range and that music.
:ultlink: has always been on my radar as a good defensive all around option. Now he's got bomb traps and tricks up his sleeve which I dig. Also I love that his shield stops projectiles.
You seem to resonate with Simon the most honestly. If you really want to play a zoner, Simon is your guy. If you can get skilled with the tether you can help with the bad recovery, although it's still not stellar. To me it sounds like you just don't click with Samus but that's just my take. Link is also a really good and fun choice, it all comes down to whose playstyle you prefer. Study the character you've chosen like a midterm. Youtube videos, tournaments, highlights, combo videos, frame data, your character's discord, the works.

oof, isn't getting ignored fun?
But to reiterate, an insane aerial game, speed, edguards. That's all I really need in a character. Even if I get oppressed on the ground, all I want/need is the air. also, I'm not good, so a character who can be learned on a basic level easily would be nice, but I'm not opposed to putting in work.
I'm also hoping to pick up a sword character and a projectile character for the sake of matchups, am looking into Simon and Lucina, (Because they are both hotter than there counterparts, fite me) but would love suggestions. Thanks.
Falcoooooooo

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I personally like :ultness: as my zoner of choice (he's also my primary main). PK Fire can trap opponents, racking up damage quickly and letting you follow up with more PK Fire, a grab, a short-hop aerial, or maybe even a forward smash if you're close enough and your opponent DIs poorly. PK Thunder is a projectile that you can control freely and steer into a foe, and it actually hits surprisingly hard and can be used for juggles. However, neither of them can be thrown out too willy-nilly, as they're easily stuffed out by shields, and PK Thunder leaves you stuck in place while the projectile is out and can't be canceled except by steering it into something, so if the opponent slips past the projectile without destroying it (such as with a roll or airdodge), they have a golden opportunity to punish you. As for PK Flash... don't even bother using that in neutral, it's much too slow and clunky in its movement to land on an aware opponent. Ness also has some anti-zoning tools; his forward smash is the strongest reflector in the game (though it's a little sluggish, so you have to anticipate a projectile coming at you in order to properly reflect something), and his PSI Magnet is one of the few moves in the game capable of absorbing certain opposing projectiles, erasing them and healing Ness.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Been using Mario since day 1, in every Smash game. I go off of being a fan of the character or series. Mewtwo is my secondary main because he's my favorite pokemon.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
Hello everyone, I am somewhat new to smash and I'm having a hard time picking a main, I have played many characters in the past and can't narrow down my list. I'm going to point out that I don't play tournaments, I only play with friends. Nonetheless I am looking for a main. Ideally I would want to play with a character that is good at punishing or has some kind of punishing ability (Mewtwo, zerosuit, DK etc.). I also prefer characters that are good at juggling opponents/that have good aerials. Speed and weight don't matter to me, neither do tier lists. Not sure about my playstyle either as I have "Mained" many different characters in the past. Thanks in advance.
Edit: Mix-up/Hit and run/Bait and Punish play style seems to be what I like.
Well :ultdk:sounds like a good fit. :ultbowser: too. He's pretty quick and can juggle well with his large hit boxes. :ultfalco: also comes to mind. I think he's pretty solid all around. Just a few suggestions of characters that I like. This roster is huge but everyone will find someone eventually.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, I am somewhat new to smash and I'm having a hard time picking a main, I have played many characters in the past and can't narrow down my list. I'm going to point out that I don't play tournaments, I only play with friends. Nonetheless I am looking for a main. Ideally I would want to play with a character that is good at punishing or has some kind of punishing ability (Mewtwo, zerosuit, DK etc.). I also prefer characters that are good at juggling opponents/that have good aerials. Speed and weight don't matter to me, neither do tier lists. Not sure about my playstyle either as I have "Mained" many different characters in the past. Thanks in advance.
Edit: Mix-up/Hit and run play style seems to be what I like.
Edit2: These are my preferred characters (not ordered): :ultwolf:, :ultfalco:, :ultyounglink:, :ultwario:, :ultsonic:, :ultmario:.
Zero Suit Samus hits pretty much all of these marks. Despite not being Smash 4 levels of ridiculous, her punish game is still fearsome in this game. Her aerials are very good as well to compensate for her mediocre ground game (nair sets up combos, uair can juggle and even set up ladder KOs combined with Up B, bair is a powerful kill option at higher percents, and fair can combo into itself & present early opportunities to gimp opponents offstage). She can play the runaway game very well due to her speed, jumps and Flip Jump (which has invincibility on startup & can mixup your movement). Speaking of mixups, you can really change your approach from defensive and lame to aggressive and oppressive off of a single neutral win (and can even take the stock off of that neutral win due to how explosive she can be). There is a higher skill floor for her than before & compared to the current top tiers; however, that investment will be worth it since, wherever ZSS ends up, she will always be a character who will blow up foes in a moment's notice (and this I feel will always keep her borderline high/top at worst).

Lunardog15

Smash Cadet
I main Kirby but apparently he is hot garbage according to every one
can I have a suggestion for a better main that plays semi-similar.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I main Kirby but apparently he is hot garbage according to every one
can I have a suggestion for a better main that plays semi-similar.
You should be a bit more descriptive. How do you play Kirby? Do you actually feel Kirby is underwhelming in your experience, not just relying on the general consensus that Kirby is bad? Answering these will help determine if 1) you actually want to abandon Kitby, and 2) the style/characteristics you enjoy so we can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
Just finished unlocking all the characters. Smash ultimate is the newest smash I’ve played as I’m coming from Melee. Any tips or tricks to getting used to this game? Also maybe help narrowing down a main. I like to be in control of the match and be fairly aggressive.

ToonTwink101

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1520-2582-6239
Just finished unlocking all the characters. Smash ultimate is the newest smash I’ve played as I’m coming from Melee. Any tips or tricks to getting used to this game? Also maybe help narrowing down a main. I like to be in control of the match and be fairly aggressive.
If u don't mind being kind of slow and having a subpar recovery, then maybe Ganondorf will fit you. He can pretty much kill at any percent he pleases so you can just force your opponent to respect you.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
If u don't mind being kind of slow and having a subpar recovery, then maybe Ganondorf will fit you. He can pretty much kill at any percent he pleases so you can just force your opponent to respect you.
The issue is that Ganondorf doesn't control the match. He just kills in a few hits if he manages to gain control.

To my mind if the poster wants an aggressive character who controls the game, Fox immediately sounds like a good fit.

earthboundspacefree

Smash Cadet
When I think of being in control of the match, I tend towards thinking of strong projectiles. The best projectile in the game is wolf’s blaster imo, and it’s conveniently attached to a strong character who can be played very aggressively.

I can also second the fox recommendation.

Basically, it sounds like you want a spacie lol. If you like the spacies, the three actual cover each other’s weaknesses fairly well.

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
When I think of being in control of the match, I tend towards thinking of strong projectiles. The best projectile in the game is wolf’s blaster imo, and it’s conveniently attached to a strong character who can be played very aggressively.

I can also second the fox recommendation.

Basically, it sounds like you want a spacie lol. If you like the spacies, the three actual cover each other’s weaknesses fairly well.
I have been playing online a bit the past couple days and I just keep getting bodied, maybe a change in play style is in order

earthboundspacefree

Smash Cadet
I have been playing online a bit the past couple days and I just keep getting bodied, maybe a change in play style is in order
Could be, or could just be that you need to adjust to the new game/get better. When you play just for funsies, which character do you like the most?

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
Could be, or could just be that you need to adjust to the new game/get better. When you play just for funsies, which character do you like the most?
I’ve been playing more cloud, Lucario, Pikachu as of late. I’m experimenting to see who I like

Top Bottom