• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

So question: What’s the general consensus on the likelihood that assist trophies could become playable characters through DLC?
There’s no denying Sakurai’s a madman on some level or another.
Low but nothing's impossible, I guess.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
So question: What’s the general consensus on the likelihood that assist trophies could become playable characters through DLC?
like, current assist trophies in smash ultimate? Extraordinarily unlikely from a development perspective, but Sakurai is a madman lol.

D

Deleted member

There's nothing that says it can't happen, but there isn't anything that says it can happen either. It would definitely be a first, and not something we could really predict.

If it eventually gets me Waluigi and Bomber Man then I'm fine with the idea.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Considering the massive feedback on Waluigi from E3, I think it could realistically happen. Not just any AT would be playable (Klaptrap for Smash?) But I can see Waluigi and one of his AT friends being surprise DLC later on.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
A friend of mine and I talked about how close to an actual playable Character Alucard seems and how awesome it'd be if they made it happen as dlc. Literally if you see how much his AT does it would only take mapping a few things and changing some code.

Polan

Smash Lord
It's either base roster or bust for characters like Isaac or Skull Kid. They wouldn't waste DLC development on niche characters like them
What youjust said was so foolish, i had to log in and respond.Isaac and Skull Kid are definitely popular enough for DLC. Its characters like Elma, Decidueye or super obscure choices like Lip that have to be on the base roster since they will competing with other more popular and relevant characters from their own series.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
If Steve is playable in Smash, that might explain why Isabelle does not have a Public Work Projects play-style.
Or because the whole "Public Work Projects" moveset idea was awful and a textbook example of people stretching too hard regardless of actual functionality and cohesiveness in Smash itself to "prove" a character's "unique moveset potential". I'm certainly glad Isabelle got in as a conventional semi-clone and didn't get an obtuse gimmick slapped onto her.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
We don't know if this DLC is going to be ballot focused either. It's likely that it's going to be but there is always the possibility that ballot being a whole different ball game. I'm just saying trusting the DLC to fill the holes in people's ideal rosters might end bad, like the last time.
True. It'd be really odd if they didn't though.

So far, the only actual Ballot placers I see on the roster that likely made it to the top spots were Ridley, K. Rool, Inklings, and possibly Simon Belmont. Chrom/Dark Samus were just popular all around. Chrom thanks to Gematsu, and Dark Samus due to well... lack of Metroid rep and Ridley 'too big' meme. Daisy, I guess? I don't know, I don't think she was among the top placers or even close to that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have a super weird feeling that we are going to get some kind of event or mode where some assist trophies can be playable with limited movesets a la the Fighting Polygon Team or Fighting Wireframes in Smashes past thanks to hacking.

But really I can definitely see at least a few being converted into actual DLC. They have the models already. It just makes sense.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
The trademark means nothing. Otherwise, we would have had a new F-Zero and Eternal Darkness game by now.

The Mask is iconic. Skull Kid himself? Not so much.

Isaac is only super popular among early 20 somethings who have nostalgia for Golden Sun.

The newer characters would absolutely make more than the ones you mentioned, bar MAYBE Geno.

And Skull Kid was nowhere near as requested as K. Rool or Ridley, at least not until Loz18 ran his mouth like a moron.
What is your deal? From my interpretation, you're trying to imply that Nintendo is some greedy company all about making money and nothing else.

Let me put something into perspective for you: Golden Sun has been around since 2001. That's 17 years of people having the opportunity to play a game. The GBA is also one of the easiest consoles to emulate and I know quite a few people whose first introduction to the series was from emulation. In fact, the "Isaac for Smash" thread on this very board has younger gamers who first played the games on the Wii U.

So 17 years of people having the chance to play a game increases the exposure of that game quite a bit. You'd be a fool to think more people have played something like ARMS over Golden Sun.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai: *see's "Waluigi isn't in Smash" hit the news*

"Alright, fine, you want Waluigi? Here, take him! Never ask me for anything ever again!"

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
What is your deal? From my interpretation, you're trying to imply that Nintendo is some greedy company all about making money and nothing else.

Let me put something into perspective for you: Golden Sun has been around since 2001. That's 17 years of people having the opportunity to play a game. The GBA is also one of the easiest consoles to emulate and I know quite a few people whose first introduction to the series was from emulation. In fact, the "Isaac for Smash" thread on this very board has younger gamers who first played the games on the Wii U.

So 17 years of people having the chance to play a game increases the exposure of that game quite a bit. You'd be a fool to think more people have played something like ARMS over Golden Sun.
ik vgchartz is **** but

ARMS: 1.77 million
Golden Sun: 1.76 million

:thinking: arms has sold about the same in a little over a year than Golden Sun has sold in 17 years

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Dude, who from Square DON'T you want?

Like seriously, you're so all over the place between Sora, Neku, Geno, and Chrono. Obviously I'd also be beyond excited for any of them, but you need to pick a number 1 already lol.
My number one is called Square-Enix Rep thanks god Vergeben leaked it. :yeahboi:

No but seriously, I'm beyond excited for any Square Characters, Like they have tons of characters that would be more than welcome for smash, but my number 1 would be Sora but Shhh... The "Disney Keychain" army are coming.

Untouch

Smash Master
Very very very unlikey.
They wouldn't remove ATs from the game.
If they did, how would online work if you dont have that character purchased?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
It's times like this when I legitimately wish 'Never ask me for anything again.' was a real Sakurai quote we could frame and hang on a wall, just like
View attachment 166924
“Have you ever made a game?” is Sakurai’s “my body is ready”
Very very very unlikey.
Easy solution. Just have the AT version of the character have a random color pallette different from the one you have selected.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Very very very unlikey.
Well i would assume the assist trophy character would be patched out for everyone regardless of if you bought the DLC or not, and having new AT's patched in would also be a nice thing to fill in spots if old ones become DLC characters. Probably one from the same series who can do the same thing or something similar. For Example, if Brawl had DLC and Little Mac became playable then his AT woulda been replaced with Glass Joe... actually make that Von Kaiser. Joe is kind of pathetic.

Last edited:

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
Very very very unlikey.
add to this that if they didn't remove the AT, having a character and an AT of the same character at the same time would cause confusion

As much as I'd like Bomberman to be in, anything that's confirmed an AT won't be playable, let's hope for the next smash

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They're just going to remove the AT if it's decided it'd be better off being playable, nobody will miss it if it means that particular characters is playable instead.

With that said, the only AT with a decent chance for DLC is Waluigi because of all the noise his deconfirmation made, if it doesn't happen I feel like it'll have more to do with Sakurai not fancying having any of the ATs being playable rather than him limiting himself.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
add to this that if they didn't remove the AT, having a character and an AT of the same character at the same time would cause confusion

As much as I'd like Bomberman to be in, anything that's confirmed an AT won't be playable, let's hope for the next smash
Once again, just have the AT be a different color. Boom, problem solved.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
As much as I wanted to believe that Shadow had a shot in smash 4 via the smash ballot, I knew that his being an AT basically deconfirmed him 100%...but I also knew supporting him was crucial for his chances in the next smash installment.

Until and unless Sakurai ever breaks the AT "rule," I think it is extremely reasonable to conclude that ATs are his way of recognizing characters that he doesn't feel should be fighters...BUT they could very well be included in the next game.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Following up on this ASsist trophy discussion, what if somehow the Mega Man Zero incarnation of Zero became playable at least as DLC, and the Mega Man X version of Zero remained as an Assist Trophy?

D

Deleted member

“Have you ever made a game?” is Sakurai’s “my body is ready”
Sakurai's "Have you ever made a game?" is seriously one of my most favorite quotes ever. It was such a good response to the snarky question he was asked, lol.

In all seriousness about the SE rep, I'm pretty much good with anyone. Sora, Noctis, Geno; they all sound fun, so I'm not too invested which one makes it in over the other.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I mean, regarding Assist Trophies being promoted via DLC... they could have it so that an Assist Trophy will never summon the promoted fighter if said fighter is present as such.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Remember how that Senjougahara guy said Steve was gonna be in Smash? He also said a female Skullomania was gonna be in that SNK fanservice game.

Look what just popped up.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Remember how that Senjougahara guy said Steve was gonna be in Smash? He also said a female Skullomania was gonna be in that SNK fanservice game.

SKULLOMANIA FOR SMASH!!!

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman

........ uh oh

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Considering the massive feedback on Waluigi from E3, I think it could realistically happen. Not just any AT would be playable (Klaptrap for Smash?) But I can see Waluigi and one of his AT friends being surprise DLC later on.
I'd argue that Waluigi has no urgency though. People love him and he's not going away anytime soon. This game isn't a make or break game for him unless Sakurai outright comes out and says that this is the final Smash game. I feel the same way about Ashley and Bandana Dee too: all three have a future ahead of them regardless of Smash.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

Oh great. Looks like he was right about it, that just proves his credibility further. And I can feel that steve in smash is growing very possible every day.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

Steve giga-confirmed, pack it up. (semi-sarcasm)

Damn, first Terry, then the entire Mario cast, and now Skullomania. When will the Rule 63 end?

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
It's either base roster or bust for characters like Isaac or Skull Kid. They wouldn't waste DLC development on niche characters like them
This 100%. DLC characters, in smash 4 all were super well known, except Lucas. As much as a i dislike FE, corrin very known within the community, Not even to mention mewtwo, cloud or bayonetta.

If we dont get the niche such as isaac, geno, etc in base roster i would say their chances are almost zero to join as dlc.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
ik vgchartz is **** but

ARMS: 1.77 million
Golden Sun: 1.76 million

:thinking: arms has sold about the same in a little over a year than Golden Sun has sold in 17 years
Golden Sun is also more than one game. I bought The Lost Age new when it came out and bought the first one used.
The point of my post though was that sales don't matter, userbase does. More people have played a Golden Sun game in the last 17 years than people have played Xenoblade 2 or ARMS or what have you.

D

Deleted member

Interesting. This paired with Verge's backing makes it a bit more interesting, but having sources on a SNK game doesn't necessarily mean he has sources on Smash. I'm still gonna tread carefully with this one.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd argue that Waluigi has no urgency though. People love him and he's not going away anytime soon. This game isn't a make or break game for him unless Sakurai outright comes out and says that this is the final Smash game. I feel the same way about Ashley and Bandana Dee too: all three have a future ahead of them regardless of Smash.
Not that I want Waluigi is "no urgency" really a thing? We got Isabelle and she's obviously going to stay relevant for awhile. Then again, we got K.Rool, not Dixie but that was more to do with popularity.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

To be fair, it's likely his sources for Smash are different than his sources for other games, like Vergeben's, I think.

But I don't care; STEVE HYPE!!!1!1!11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom