• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But is it something the General Public is playing?

Is it too fresh (pun intended) to be something that General Public would be able to go ''Splatoon" when seeing the Inkling? Maybe in Japan, since Nintendo still reigns supreme over there.

But Splatoon's success at least in my experience has been confined to really die hard Nintendo fans and nothing much else.
Yup. It is something the general public play... I'm not kidding, it's still solding a ****tons after all this time.

ESPECIALLY in Japan where it's contagious.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You do realize when you say ''side character" about Isabelle you're lying to yourself right?

She's Animal Crossing's main face now. She owns it's twitter account. She promotes and is the face that has greeted people when representing the series in new installments since New Leaf and even is the box art character for it's Mario Kart crossover.

Isabelle isn't a side character. She was conceived as one, sure, but now? She's pretty much the mascot of Animal Crossing.

D

Deleted member

I love the Splatoon games (excluding the awful online support it now has). That's my disclaimer.

You don't have to condition yourself to liking a character, and if you like Inklings then that's great because they're awesome. My comment on conditioning was more directed to the non-Inkling fans.

Notice that no one complained about Inkling's reveal or overall presence in the game? I believe that's because we were all conditioned to think that they were in the game as an inevitability, so even the non-Splatooners were cool with their inclusion. When you know something is coming, you're usually more accepting of it.
As a non-Splatooner I can confirm at least on my end.
Didn't care one way or the other about Inkling's reveal. It was inevitable either way. :p

D

Deleted member

I'm NGL I really can't conceive Isabelle, a side character in one game in the Animal Crossing franchise, as being more important than a new Nintendo IP's main character.

I ASSURE you the general public looking at Smash Bros WILL know who the Inkling's are.
I mean, Inkling is on the front of the box right next to Mario and Link in the center, and Splatoon has the distinction of receiving the most post-launch support Nintendo's ever given. Plus, it's a monster in their home market, so yeah, I personally think it's pretty recognizable at this point, but to each their own. :)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You do realize when you say ''side character" about Isabelle you're lying to yourself right?

She's Animal Crossing's main face now. She owns it's twitter account. She promotes and is the face that has greeted people when representing the series in new installments since New Leaf and even is the box art character for it's Mario Kart crossover.

Isabelle isn't a side character. She was conceived as one, sure, but now? She's pretty much the mascot of Animal Crossing.
So...you're telling me she was created as a side character...and I mean...still IS?? Because you've never been able to play as her in her own series. As such, she is not the main character. The Villager is.

Yes she's incredibly popular, I love Isabelle, but you're also lying to yourself if you genuinely think Isabelle is more popular then Inklings. I don't know why this is even a question.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Isabelle, Chrom/Lucina, ROB, and WFT are pseudo-lead protagonists.

Pokemon are technically also similar.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I never said she's more popular than Inklings though.

YOU just said that. :)

But you're also denying a lot of facts that I just stated to paint this narrative that devalues how much of a success Isabelle has been and how big she is for her franchise now. But it's okay. Everyone in the Smash fanbase has this odd obsession with looking down on her and trying to say ''She's not this." ''She can only be that."

Apparently even people with Animal Crossing avatars. :crazy:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Can you explain to me why Isabelle is considered here?
I genuinely love her and want to play her, but that isn't my point.

I just don't really understand since you're not once able to play as her in AC, no?
But she's definitely become it's mascot, yeah.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
As a non-Splatooner I can confirm at least on my end.
Didn't care one way or the other about Inkling's reveal. It was inevitable either way. :p
I cared because it was also the Ultimate reveal.

Also, all of the other full uniques have been throwback reps: Inkling is from a new property that I think did better than anyone expected it to: somebody wanted them and they seem unique enough.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I never said she's more popular than Inklings though.

YOU just said that. :)

But you're also denying a lot of facts that I just stated to paint this narrative that devalues how much of a success Isabelle has been and how big she is for her franchise now. But it's okay. Everyone in the Smash fanbase has this odd obsession with looking down on her and trying to say ''She's not this." ''She can only be that."

Apparently even people with Animal Crossing avatars. :crazy:
I apologize if I came across as hostile.
I don't understand what else you said is supposed to imply though.

"I think Splatoon is popular, but I can't say that it's something the mass general Nintendo audience plays as much as they'd play things Isabelle and Daisy star in."
...does this not mean you feel Isabelle can easily be seen as more popular?

Also I'd really appreciate if you don't paint me as that...I've been advocating for Isabelle in Smash for a long time now (please look in my sig) but I'm also willing to recognize when I don't feel a character is something they've been called. That's all. Like...I plan to try and main her so I don't understand why I'm being lumped into the crowd of "devalues and looks down on Isabelle". Hurts a bit.

D

Deleted member

So...you're telling me she was created as a side character...and I mean...still IS?? Because you've never been able to play as her in her own series. As such, she is not the main character. The Villager is.

Yes she's incredibly popular, I love Isabelle, but you're also lying to yourself if you genuinely think Isabelle is more popular then Inklings. I don't know why this is even a question.
I don't think it's necessarily about who's more popular, rather, I think it's more about them both being popular and appealing to different parts of the fandom. Isabelle is pretty much the new AC series mascot, meanwhile Inklings are the playable face of one of their most successful new franchises.

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting off topic with this, though, so I'll just leave it at this: Both are cool, cute, and fun. Does it really matter which one is considered more recognized when they both are?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Isabelle is a pseudo-lead protago- what?
I thought the story was about us becoming the Mayo while living in a tent... Did I sleep off in the middle of my AC gameplay or did I miss the moment where Isabelle was more than our adviser and helped.

Heck you can pass 70% of the game without having to see her if you want.

You're the Protagonist of Animal Crossing. That's like saying your Teacher is the protagonist of your life because she's teaching you stuff.

Isabelle if freaking popular to a great level and Mascot...but let's not push to the point of Calling her Protagonist.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Can you explain to me why Isabelle is considered here?
I genuinely love her and want to play her, but that isn't my point.

I just don't really understand since you're not once able to play as her in AC, no?
But she's definitely become it's mascot, yeah.
You don't have to be playable to be the main character. Anyone who has the spotlight in the franchise is essentially the main character.

Let's be real. Villager wasn't what people thought of before Smash when they heard Animal Crossing. The known face of AC before Smash came along wasn't the avatar character. It was Tom Nook. He was the talk of the town.

Then Smash had Villager. He became a dumb meme of ''Haha. He's a murderer"

Then it became Isabelle, and sure people still made a meme out of Villager, but in the home games Isabelle was the one getting all the attention.

Meanwhile poor Tom Nook became the third most used face in a series that was once his for the taking really.

Everyone truly talked more about Tom Nook than they EVER did Villager. Even Smash speculation for an AC character before Villager came along tend to way towards Tom Nook because he was an established ""face" for the franchise.

''Villager" wasn't even a term until Smash Bros.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You don't have to be playable to be the main character. Anyone who has the spotlight in the franchise is essentially the main character.

Let's be real. Villager wasn't what people thought of before Smash when they heard Animal Crossing. The known face of AC before Smash came along wasn't the avatar character. It was Tom Nook. He was the talk of the town.

Then Smash had Villager. He became a dumb meme of ''Haha. He's a murderer"

Then it became Isabelle, and sure people still made a meme out of Villager, but in the home games Isabelle was the one getting all the attention.

Meanwhile poor Tom Nook became the third most used face in a series that was once his for the taking really.

Everyone truly talked more about Tom Nook than they EVER did Villager. Even Smash speculation for an AC character before Villager came along tend to way towards Tom Nook because he was an established ""face" for the franchise.

''Villager" wasn't even a term until Smash Bros.
Okay. Thanks for the explanation. Gotcha :)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't see why Isabelle and Inklings need to have a popularity pissing contest, they both very well exceed the threshold of popularity needed to be considered for smash.
I mean. Inklings are professional and have a big arsenal, so they probably win that pissing contest

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't see why Isabelle and Inklings need to have a popularity pissing contest, they both very well exceed the threshold of popularity needed to be considered for smash.
I wasn't attempting to stir it into a pissing contest. My total apologies. I disagreed with the point and it went off-track from there. My fault.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
This^
At this point, both are arguably waaaaay bigger than most of the "classic" characters

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not to say anything about a pissing contest but..

As an AC fan who pushed hard for Isabelle. She was my MAIN want for Smash Ultimate.

I can confirm? Everyone seemed to consider her an unlikelihood or ''Only worthy of echo status." Despite just how popular she was and how likely she seemed to her fans who spoke out about her? People slept on her as if she wasn't as likely as the Inklings were and she always was.

She always was one of two characters that were a ''for sure" thing for the next Smash installment, because those are the two Nintendo faces that had blown up the most since Wii U/3DS finished production.

Yet we Isabelle fans had to hear a lot of ''I don't know. I just don't find her likely, because she's not a fighter.~~" "She's too cute~~" and ''With your luck you'll get echo status and that's that."

Which all amounted to a whole lot of B.S. in the end. Everyone tried to make these rules about Isabelle that were never once placed on Inkling and it was quite frankly infuriating to watch and those of us who were right about her? We deserve to gloat just a little.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Some interesting things have been shared in the mimique discord regarding ZachTheNCube, apparently he "guessed" these things before:

Zach1.jpg

Zach2.jpg

Zach3.jpg

Zach4.jpg

Just recently, Zach posted these tweets:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I am keeping a close eye on him.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
People really do forget Geno is a nobody to anyone outside the Smash community, huh? He's probably the last thing anyone thinks about when the subject is Mario. I mean, Sakurai has gone on record to say he's popular and wants him in but that doesn't change the fact he's unknown to the general public.

It's kind of wild to think Geno has a legit chance though as he was seen as the biggest pipedream of Smash 4 by pretty much everyone.
I still have yet to understand what's his appeal though...
he was very highly voted for in the ballot.. sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Potato_

Smash Lord
>> Sakurai says not to expect too many new fighters.
>> 3 new fighters and 4 echoes revealed.
>> Sakurai says there are just a few more fighters.
>> 2 more new fighters revealed.
>> There's one Direct left.
>> Most Directs reveal 1 new character, never once more than 2.
>> Sakurai writes a column insisting not to expect much more.

Anyway, here are my predictions for 6 more characters:
Okay, since I didn't mention it in my previous post.

My expectations are low. I am fully prepared for Ken and Incineroar to be the last two fighters if they are. No, you will not see me plaguing the damn forums with complaints should they be the last two. I have stated this literally time and time again.

With that done, a few comments:
- 6 yes, but 2 of them are echoes. Before you start saying "yeah but they're still newcomers" they've clearly been treated differently.
- I did mention that they were a mix of my hopes with predictions. As in, this is if things go better than what we expect. I will add this into the post.

But fine I'll take the ridicule. Would it help if I amended it to final characters/DLC possibilities?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Some interesting things have been shared in the mimique discord regarding ZachTheNCube, apparently he "guessed" these things before:

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Interesting. I don't know how I feel about ''Everyone is Here" ''Ultimate Fan Smash" but ''Wait a little longer for Geno"

But interesting.

Last edited:

7982Brick

Smash Cadet

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

(Incineroar, Steve, Ken, and Shadow)

Either he's incredibly good at guessing or he has some insider info.

Chrono.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not to say anything about a pissing contest but..

As an AC fan who pushed hard for Isabelle. She was my MAIN want for Smash Ultimate.

I can confirm? Everyone seemed to consider her an unlikelihood or ''Only worthy of echo status." Despite just how popular she was and how likely she seemed to her fans who spoke out about her? People slept on her as if she wasn't as likely as the Inklings were and she always was.

She always was one of two characters that were a ''for sure" thing for the next Smash installment, because those are the two Nintendo faces that had blown up the most since Wii U/3DS finished production.

Yet we Isabelle fans had to hear a lot of ''I don't know. I just don't find her likely, because she's not a fighter.~~" "She's too cute~~" and ''With your luck you'll get echo status and that's that."

Which all amounted to a whole lot of B.S. in the end. Everyone tried to make these rules about Isabelle that were never once placed on Inkling and it was quite frankly infuriating to watch and those of us who were right about her? We deserve to gloat just a little.

As a Chrom fan who got raided with the Usual FE salt and Mocked after Smash 4 Robin trailer.
If you think just being called "Echo material" is enough to Gloat, does it mean Opossum can become the new Sakurai?

No, seriously, I'll be honest I did said I didn't saw her as a Fighters and at best a semi-clone because I couldn't find an unique Gameplay.

But never I said that AC wasn't worth a REP or that Isabelle wasn't a good choice.

However I did say that the Terraforming gameplay idea was ******** and I still hold my word on that. Thanks god it didn't happen.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

The Ice Climbers point is literally nothing lol. This isn't even "obvious in retrospect" that was one of the MOST obvious character predictions you could make knowing they were ONLY cut due to technical reasons.

Ridley point is interesting as is the AC point.

Steve was mentioned by Vergeben before the 22nd and this kickstarted the demand and discussion for him. Again, no real point with that one.

As a Chrom fan who got raided with the Usual FE salt and Mocked after Smash 4 Robin trailer.
If you think just being called "Echo material" is enough to Gloat, does it mean Opossum can become the new Sakurai?

No, seriously, I'll be honest I did said I didn't saw her as a Fighters and at best a semi-clone because I couldn't find an unique Gameplay.

But never I said that AC wasn't worth a REP or that Isabelle wasn't a good choice.

However I did say that the Terraforming gameplay idea was ******** and I still hold my word on that. Thanks god it didn't happen.
Hey man, I think it'd be appreciated if you didn't use that word here, just to keep others comfortable. Hopefully this doesn't start another big storm of debating but that's all I can really ask. Thanks, just consider it.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

I don't want to believe it.........but my gut tells me this is true o.O!!! ALL HAIL SHADOW!!!!! R.I.P. Isaac?? DLC PLEASE?!

In all seriousness, someone just leak the whole damn roster...please and thank you.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Only difficult guess here would be Ridley, who was leaked previously.
It was obvious ICs were returning, they were cut because of the 3DS.
Isabelle was also mentioned around that time, and AC switch's announcement was inevitable.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I doubt anything will come out of this Minecraft convention, but

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Honestly I wouldn't even be mad with that roster. Minecraft is a bona fide sensation, and if Steve is here it means Banjo-Kazooie can't be far behind. I would just need my boy Isaac after that and I would truly never ever ask Sakurai for anything ever again (tm)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Geno better get a newcomer trailer for his ''Free" DLC is all I'm saying.

Those fans didn't wait so long to get their character back to only have a cool consolation prize and nothing more.

They deserve a full trailer like Ridley and K. Rool.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Palpatine.jpg

It'd be interesting if this does pan out. I know that a lot of people don't want him, but I love Incineroar and would be very happy having him in the roster.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno better get a newcomer trailer for his ''Free" DLC is all I'm saying.

Those fans didn't wait so long to get their character back to only have a cool consolation prize and nothing more.

They deserve a full trailer like Ridley and K. Rool.
As a Geno fan, well...they can throw out a crappy MS Paint drawing and say "U GET HIM IF U GET SWITCH ONLINE" and I'd still go absolutely insane...at least he's in baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom