• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate general series discussion: Part three: The Legend of Zelda (with polls)

How do you feel about the amount of fighters Zelda has so far?

• Just enough

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • Too many

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Not enough

Votes: 100 82.0%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Tagged for Frizz Frizz , HypnoMaster372 HypnoMaster372 , and @Alastor017 ! If you want me to tag you in futire posts, just let me know in the comments or DM me!

The third part in this series takes us to the legendary world of Hyrule, which has given birth to many champions and villains along the way.

Links to the other two threads here:
Super Mario: https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...part-one-super-mario-with-polls.458940/page-2
DK: https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...cussion-part-2-donkey-kong-with-polls.459007/

Alright! Time to talk about Zelda! One of Nintendo's most famous Ips and has helped developers be inspired for decades. Since 1987, The Legend of Zelda has been a never ceasing birthplace for dozens of fighters, and many of them appear in Smash. Since the starting poll always opens with roster discussion, the thread will begin with what I believe is a very hot subject:
re you contempt with the amount of fighters Zelda has? Why? Should it have more, less or equal fighters? And after your answer, feel free to name any newcomers fromm Zelda you would like to see!

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I voted for "Not Enough". The Legend of Zelda has plenty of games which have plenty of characters to choose from, so there should definitely be more characters than 3 Links, Zelda/Sheik, and Ganondorf.

Tingle, Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, Vaati, Linkle, Impa, Cia, Lana...

The current roster isn't cutting it for such a series.

And yes, keep me tagged, please. :)

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Not enough, I think a few more characters would be nice to see. Though I do really think Skull Kid is gonna be a Spirits boss

D

Deleted member

Well to start off, no I’m not content with the amount of Zelda fighters in Smash right now. I think Zelda being stuck with the same pattern for nearly two decades now is just disrespectful to one of Nintendo’s biggest series.

As for newcomers, well there’s a lot of options, but I’m personally hoping for Impa and Skull Kid.

Also, I would very much appreciate you keeping me tagged. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Please tag me too in future posts! We have Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. Everyone else is a variant of the same character. I am personally hoping for Impa as an echo fighter of Sheik right now but I would love anything.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I desperately want Vaati in Smash, since he's a wind mage; a character who relies on wind manipulation to fight, i.e. heavily utilizing windboxes, is something not included in the roster, and I love to see more characters with unique and interesting niches.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
When it comes to newcomers in pre-existing series, Zelda gets screwed over the most.

-Gets 4 newcomers in Melee but two of them are clones.

-No unique newcomers in Brawl, only a new semi clone.

-Zero newcomers in Smash 4.

-Hasn’t gotten a unique character since Melee.

-Most potential candidates are one-shots.

-There’s 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and 1 Falcondorf.

Impa is my ideal choice being the most recurring Zelda character (moreso then Sheik) not in yet.

Skull Kid is fierce competition through being not only iconic to Nintendo but gaming in general, plus he’s fairly popular.

There’s Tingle....but not much demand for him.

Everyone else I could care less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When it comes to newcomers in pre-existing series, Zelda gets screwed over the most.

-Gets 4 newcomers in Melee but two of them are clones.

-No unique newcomers in Brawl, only a new semi clone.

-Zero newcomers in Smash 4.

-Hasn’t gotten a unique character since Melee.

-Most potential candidates are one-shots.

-There’s 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and 1 Falcondorf.

Impa is my ideal choice being the most recurring Zelda character (moreso then Sheik) not in yet.

Skull Kid is fierce competition through being not only iconic to Nintendo but gaming in general, plus he’s fairly popular.

There’s Tingle....but not much demand for him.

Everyone else I could care less.
You have no idea how painful being a Zelda fan in Smash is :(.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Gotta agree that Zelda's treatment in Smash leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Smash entirely ignores Zelda's one-shots, as discussed on this thread. No, just because the series' core cast is Link, Zelda, and Ganon doesn't necessarily deny it from getting its main one-shot characters.
  • Sheik is still a thing despite being a one-shot, which creates a sense of inconsistency.
  • Half the Zelda cast is some iteration of Link. On its own it's already questionable, but they also have the gall to have every Link have the same specials and weapons. BotW Link in Ultimate is only a quarter-measure to fix this.
  • The Zelda cast that isn't some sort of Link is horribly represented in terms of abilities. Again, Sheik shouldn't even exist, Zelda lost her light bow, and Ganondorf has only four sword moves and no magic projectiles.
All of that said...
  • I actually want a fourth "Classic Link" who brings back the old moveset from Smash 4, being left-handed, having regular bombs, the hookshot, and no double arrow mechanic.
  • Even though I can agree that Ganon and Zelda are terribly represented in terms of abilities, I still really like playing as them, so I have very mixed feelings towards having them changed.
Also Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma , why didn't you tag me? I thought I made that request for all future threads of this kind.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Idk why you simplified the poll options. The Mario poll options would have worked better.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Idk why you simplified the poll options. The Mario poll options would have worked better.
Personally, I'm not a fan of these polls. I think they're overly distracting from more interesting discussions.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not enough.

We have three Links, Zelda and her alter-ego so sorta the same character, and Falcondorf (granted they finally gave him his swords).

There's still other characters that could be used to represent the franchise: Skull Kid (yes please), Impa, Tingle, and others.

And Skull Kid makes no sense as just a boss; you don't fight him in MM, in TP the battle is more like a game of Tag while you slash his puppets, and in Smash he'd be fighter-sized so he would be easy to animate as a fighter, and he could be a boss like Metal Mario or the Shadow Bug characters in SSE where it's just a variant of a playable character. I saw no one bring him up as a boss until LeakyPandy and their "leaks" that mostly turn out false (like guessing direct dates then getting their contents completely wrong) said he would be one, and I don't see why no one brings up the possibility that if he is a boss, it's the same situation with Metal Mario, etc.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not enough.

We have three Links, Zelda and her alter-ego so sorta the same character, and Falcondorf (granted they finally gave him his swords).

There's still other characters that could be used to represent the franchise: Skull Kid (yes please), Impa, Tingle, and others.

And Skull Kid makes no sense as a boss; you don't fight him in MM, in TP the battle is more like a game of Tag while you slash his puppets, and in Smash he'd be fighter-sized so he would be easy to animate as a fighter, and he could be a boss like Metal Mario or the Shadow Bug characters in SSE where it's just a variant of a playable character. I saw no one bring him up as a boss until LeakyPandy and their "leaks" that mostly turn out false (like guessing direct dates then getting their contents completely wrong) said he would be one.
Skull Kid is a practical one-shot, though.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Skull Kid is a practical one-shot, though.
I doubt Sakurai and his team would care, especially since the same Skull Kid at least appears in OoT and Hyrule Warriors (of course that isn't canon, but I don't see them valuing spinoffs any less for character appearances), and might be the same one in TP (though of course that isn't confirmed). Plus, he's a very popular character.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I doubt Sakurai and his team would care, especially since the same Skull Kid at least appears in OoT and Hyrule Warriors (of course that isn't canon, but I don't see them valuing spinoffs any less for character appearances), and might be the same one in TP (though of course that isn't confirmed). Plus, he's a very popular character.
If all of those factors were important, Midna, Ghirahim, and the Champions would be confirmed by now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If all of those factors were important, Midna, Ghirahim, and the Champions would be confirmed by now.
It's more-or-less Sakurai seeing the Zelda games as properly represented with the Triforce holders; who knows, we may get one of those characters in base or DLC.

If Sakurai saw game appearances as an important factor more-so than popularity with fans, he wouldn't have tried to get Geno or listen to requests for him and add a mii costume.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Zelda is absolutely poorly represented in Smash for being presented as a series equal to Mario in most promotional material, including Smash.

Firstly, every fighter is just a version of one of the Triforce holders. And it's not bad to have them all. Gotta have all three members... Shiek is alright, very distinct from Zelda. I don't even mind that there's three Links. One of my favorite things about Link is just how different he can be from game to game. If anything I think we could stand to have yet another version of Ganon. Ganondorf has always been poorly represented in Smash, and although he's getting better, he's still not a very good representation of the series main big bad. Which is exactly why I propose Pig Ganon, styled after the more classic blue trident weilding pig. To be honest i'm surprised he doesn't have as much support as K. Rool and Ridley. Being okay with just Ganondorf strikes me as being okay with just having Bowser Junior but no actual Bowser.

While i'm still on the topic of Triforce Holders, I did have the idea for another version of Link.... but I think three Links is enough. Four would be excessive. In the event that Young Link didn't return, I would say we should have Classic Link. The first Link that isn't a clone of the others. He would mainly use tools that the other Links don't like the hammer and the bug net, or tools that are 2D exclusive like the magic rod, the candle, pegasus boots, and possibly a few spells from Zelda 2 like fire, reflect, ect... but this one will never happen, it was just for funsies.

Outside of the triforce weilders, there are still plenty of Zelda characters to choose from with great importance. In my opinion, the priority should go to characters who have also reincarnated or appeared in multiple games accross the series just like the Triforce holders. But that doesn't mean that there aren't one off Zelda characters that are just as deserving, if not, more so, than series regulars.

A lot of people aren't going to want to hear this, but outside of pig Ganon, in my opinion, the MOST deserving Zelda character for Smash Bros has to be Tingle. He's one of the Zelda characteres that has gotten the chance to appear not only across multiple games but appear in different eras of the series, and he's the ONLY Zelda character to have the honor of having his own series of games. He also represents the much more silly and weird side of the Zelda series that a lot of fans seem to forget about or look the other way on. Zelda is by no means a completely serious series, and Tingle is far from the only aspect of the weird parts, but he sure as heck embodies it. Were he to make it into the series, I'd expect him to take on his Rosy Rupeeland appearance. It's different enough from his Majora's Mask incarnation, that I don't think the Great Bay cameo would be an issue.

Aside from that, you've got Impa, the only Zelda character who's as old as the triforce holders. She may not have appeared until Ocarina of Time, but she's been a part of the Zelda series lore since the original NES game. Sometimes she's depicted as an elderly woman, sometimes a young ninja warrior, in Skyward Sword, she was both, and in the Oracles games, she was a huge tree trunk armed mountain of a woman. She's got potential to be Shiek echo, semi-clone, or even her own character.

Skull Kid just barely qualifies for being a recurring character on account of being in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but his most prominent role is what really skyrockets him to the same status as Impa and Tingle. I don't really need to say much about the Majora's Mask incarnation, we all know about him at this point, and how the mask he wears is easily the most recognizable thing in Zelda right behind the Triforce, still being sold on merchandise to this day.

Vaati the wind mage is a strange one. He only had one truly notable appearance in Minish Cap, where he looked like some sort of dark foil to Link, but with more magical abilities. This is the form everybody supports for Smash. But he was also the main antagonist of the two Four Swords games, where he only appeared as a flying eyeball monster. He's lost a lot of support over the years, but I still think he'd make a good addition... but he's not quite so notable as some of the one off characters.

The only other recurring character I think could qualify is a bit of a stretch. A duo of characters. Malon and Epona. Epona. Epona is definitely the more famous of the two, appearing in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Four Swords Adventures, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, and Breath of the Wild. Malon has appeared in all of those games but TP and BotW, but she did appear in Oracle of Seasons. I don't see this one happening. But I feel like their star status should be enough to say they're not entirely undeserving.

A case could be made for Tetra. I'd certainly rather have her than Toon Zelda. But something tells me neither of them are very likely, even if Toon Zelda was initially planned. You could maybe even go with Linebeck, but I don't see that one happening either.

Last one from this category that I think people are sleeping on is Twinrova. The only boss that speaks to you in Ocarina of Time, surrogat mothers to Ganondorf, NPCs in Majora's Mask, and major antagonists of the Oracle of Seasons and Ages true ending. I don't think she has enough support from anyone, but I feel like she's deserving enough.

And here we have the one offs. Characters that appeared in one game, but they were such break out stars that they're essentially the faces of their respective games. And with the Zelda series characters in Ultimate being made up of incarnations from accross the series instead of one game like past titles, there's never been a better time to invite the one-offs.

You've got Midna, alas, she's been relegated to Assist Trophy again. But even so, I don't think there's a single side character in the series that resonated with fans like she has. She does still have a chance at possibly being a Zelda echo in her Twili Form, but to be frank, I would not be happy with that. I'm not a fan of her Twili Form, and she's more famously known as a mischeivious, wolf riding imp with a giant hand coming out of her head. That, and I believe the most likely Zelda Echo will be Hilda from a Link Between Worlds. Maybe Midna will get her chance another day.

You've got Girahim, while i'm not the biggest fan of the game he comes from, he's easily one of the most fun villains in a Zelda game in a long time, Nothing at all like the villains from previous games, and much more actively antagonistic too... he too has unfortunately become an assist trophy. But he's still earned his status as a potential character.

I occasionally see support for the Champions of Hyrule, but i'm going to be real, I don't think any of those characters are that great in comparison to their competition, and it seems unrealistic to expect all four of them, and it would be pointless to only have one of them.

Some of the runner ups in this category would be Zant, Ravio, Yuga, any of Link's transformations from Majora's Mask, any of the Ocarina of Time sages ( minus Raru ), King Daphnes, Demise, and Malon. All great characters that have their fans, but they probably don't quite have the star power that they would need.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's more-or-less Sakurai seeing the Zelda games as properly represented with the Triforce holders; who knows, we may get one of those characters in base or DLC.

If Sakurai saw game appearances as an important factor more-so than popularity with fans, he wouldn't have tried to get Geno or listen to requests for him and add a mii costume.
Thing is, we don't really know what's stopping Geno from being in Smash, or even in more Mario spinoffs for that matter. We know that Sakurai was initially opposed to Corrin until his staff convinced him, so maybe there is at least someone in his staff who doesn't like the idea of a one-shot spinoff character getting in Smash. There could be the issue of copyright, but Square is on board with Cloud.

All we can do at this point is analyze trends from interviews and actual releases.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Gotta agree that Zelda's treatment in Smash leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Smash entirely ignores Zelda's one-shots, as discussed on this thread. No, just because the series' core cast is Link, Zelda, and Ganon doesn't necessarily deny it from getting its main one-shot characters.
  • Sheik is still a thing despite being a one-shot, which creates a sense of inconsistency.
  • Half the Zelda cast is some iteration of Link. On its own it's already questionable, but they also have the gall to have every Link have the same specials and weapons. BotW Link in Ultimate is only a quarter-measure to fix this.
  • The Zelda cast that isn't some sort of Link is horribly represented in terms of abilities. Again, Sheik shouldn't even exist, Zelda lost her light bow, and Ganondorf has only four sword moves and no magic projectiles.
All of that said...
  • I actually want a fourth "Classic Link" who brings back the old moveset from Smash 4, being left-handed, having regular bombs, the hookshot, and no double arrow mechanic.
  • Even though I can agree that Ganon and Zelda are terribly represented in terms of abilities, I still really like playing as them, so I have very mixed feelings towards having them changed.
Also Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma , why didn't you tag me? I thought I made that request for all future threads of this kind.
Sorry, I must have missed that! I was very busy this day and I had to squeeze this thread in with about five or so minutes to make it. I'll be sure not to forget next time!

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Zelda's my favourite game series, so it's good to see that in most respects it's treated well in Smash. In most respects.

I can't deny what other people have been saying in this thread: Zelda's character selection in Smash is seriously underwhelming. Despite having six fighters, which makes it the fourth most represented series, half of them are Link. While you could perhaps justify having Link and Toon/Young Link for a faster but weaker equivalent, having all three seems completely redundant and is only a side-effect of 'everyone is here!' (I highly doubt Young Link was a ballot favourite). We also have two Zeldas (though they do admittedly play completely differently) and a partially decloned Captain Falcon. So despite having a large cast on paper, Zelda's presence in Smash is represented by three characters only. I get why the Triforce-wielders are chosen, as they're the most important characters in the series and some of the few who appear across multiple games. But shouldn't we have branched out a bit by now? Sakurai probably toned it in down in Brawl due to Zelda getting four fighters in Melee. But the series didn't get any representatives in 4, and it's increasingly looking like we'll have no new reps in Ultimate either (at least for the base game).

I don't know Sakurai's motives, but my guess why he hasn't added any Zelda newcomers since Brawl (Melee, if we're being technical) is that he sees the roster size and probably goes 'that's good enough - it's got more than most other series', despite the fighter selection being filled with clones. It may also be the case that he doesn't want to choose one-offs (excluding Sheik). I don't really get this reasoning - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the cast of Fire Emblem constantly changing? Yes, the FE characters are also the main characters. But I'd argue Midna, who would make a great addition to Smash, was effectively the main character in Twilight Princess. It shouldn't matter if a character is a one-off if they're popular enough and could bring something good to Smash. Finally, I think the possible lack of new reps in Ultimate may be a fact that many of the Zelda cast have got an (admittedly welcome) redesign and slight move overhaul. This, combined with the return of Young Link may be enough in Sakurai's mind to justify not adding anyone else.

So how do we fix the Zelda roster? I believe it's possible to do while keeping Zelda at only 7 fighters, which is hardly excessive and currently equivalent to the FE cast. First, keep Link's BOTW design but give him more BOTW-related abilities (Revali's Gale, elemental arrows, magnesis grab, maybe his motorcycle). Then take Ganondorf (with his OOT design) and give him an energy ball projectile. I'm resigned to the fact that dorf, while not reflective of the games, is too popular now to significantly change. But he at least needs some kind of magic, which would best be represented by his famous energy tennis projectile. Next, add Impa (Skyward Sword design) and give her Sheik's moveset: as a less important character, Sheik can become an alt a la Alph. Finally, add in Skull Kid and Midna (+ Wolf Link who would give her more move options and be another quadruped fighter, which we don't have many of in Smash). Zelda and Toon Link can stay as they are, with the latter being justified as he would have Link's old moveset. With these seven fighters, every single 3D Zelda game would be represented in some way, along with ALTTP/ALBW. I specifically chose Skull Kid and Midna because they're popular one-offs and would bring much needed visual diversity to the Zelda roster.

Other possible roster candidates include Pig Ganon, Tingle and Vaati. I didn't include the former as he's already sort of in as a Final Smash and I wanted to avoid adding more versions of existing characters (save for Wolf Link, who I feel would be needed in a Midna moveset). Vaati's never going to get in because Nintendo doesn't like to acknowledge the Capcom Zelda games. And Tingle could be okay, but I'd rather the first true Zelda newcomer since Melee be a joke character. Princess Hilda's another possibility, but I want to avoid adding clones/echoes until we get one or two more unique fighters for Zelda.

Despite all my complaining, Zelda's actually represented pretty well in other respects. The stage selection is fantastic. Every 3D game, plus Zelda II, plus Spirit Tracks are represented in some fashion. And not a single one of the stages is bad. Sure, none are competitive staples but Temple has to be one of the greatest for messing around in with friends. As Zelda got a new stage in Ultimate, I'm not asking for/expecting any more - and honestly, there's not much more that could be added.

Item wise Zelda's also been treated well. It's especially good in the Assist Trophy category ... though that's perhaps because many are characters who should have been playable fighters instead. As for bosses, the series hasn't got anything yet, but I'm expecting good things from Spirits (just please not Skull Kid, as it would kill his chances for DLC).

Finally, there's the music. I can't really say they've done the series an injustice here. There's certainly more variety than other series (looking at you, DK), and I don't feel like there are many major gaps. The only one I can think of is Majora's Mask, which only just got its first remix - though I get that the game is more famous for its atmospheric tracks rather than energetic battle tunes. Honestly, the best thing about Zelda music in Smash is that we have the Molgera battle, which I'll never ever get tired of.

Overall:
+ Zelda has one of the best selection of stages, and has consistently been treated well in this regard
+ It's got a strong selection of items and assists
+ The music selection is pretty good, and doesn't really have any glaring ommissions
- The roster is disappointing, with little variety and no newcomers in years
- Likewise, Sakurai refuses to include memorable one-off characters as fighters for some reason

Overall I'd give the series a 7/10 in terms of representation in Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It may also be the case that he doesn't want to choose one-offs (excluding Sheik). I don't really get this reasoning - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the cast of Fire Emblem constantly changing? Yes, the FE characters are also the main characters. But I'd argue Midna, who would make a great addition to Smash, was effectively the main character in Twilight Princess. It shouldn't matter if a character is a one-off if they're popular enough and could bring something good to Smash. Finally, I think the possible lack of new reps in Ultimate may be a fact that many of the Zelda cast have got an (admittedly welcome) redesign and slight move overhaul. This, combined with the return of Young Link may be enough in Sakurai's mind to justify not adding anyone else.
I know that people talk about Fire Emblem as a pro argument for Zelda one-shots, but too many people forget that Fire Emblem doesn't have a core recurring cast the way that Mario and Zelda does.

On the other hand, Zelda has a revolving door of main characters that coexists with the core trio of Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

It's a weird middle ground between a series like Mario and series like Pokémon and Fire Emblem.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Wow I'm in the minority. Kind of scared now.
To clarify while I think 6 reps is enough, we have too many Links. For future installation I'd replace Young Link with someone else and declone Toon Link further. Give him something like the deku leaf or gust jar.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wow I'm in the minority. Kind of scared now.
To clarify while I think 6 reps is enough, we have too many Links. For future installation I'd replace Young Link with someone else and declone Toon Link further. Give him something like the deku leaf or gust jar.
A lot of people would say that giving Young Link moves based on the masks would have worked much better than just the same tools as regular Link.

Hell, I personally think the BotW changes to Link were too much, and I want a fourth Link as an alternative with the old moveset.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not enough Zelda fighters, and what we have at current is abysmal. Three Links who until recently all had the same inventory. For a game based around using various tools and weapons it's shockingly dull to have them all with sword, bow, boomerang, bomb, hookshot. Hyrule Warriors showed how different Link can be depending on his weapon so it's a missed opportunity if Sakurai has to have three Links.

Sheik is ****ing dreadful. Doesn't even use the trademark harp in a taunt which is all Sheik does in the series proper. Impa could easily fill in the ninja/samurai role whilst not being a second Zelda and using Sheikah magic rather than generic ninja moves as well as repping the Sheikah race.

Talking of races, when I think Zelda I think Gorons, Zoras, etc personally. The different races make the world more varied to me, and so either the Champions(possibly as a team character), the Ocarina sages of Ruto and Darunia or even Young Link with the masks would fill that void.

Vaati would be the dream; a new villain, a new race(Minish) and give Toon Link something to not look totally out of place with. Alas he's another Geno situation with Capcom owning him partially.

One offs shouldn't be discriminated against either; Fire Emblem is full of one offs and yet Zelda cannot obtain one off fighters with proven lasting popularity such as Midna and Skull Kid. Both have big fanbases who have stayed loyal to these characters. It's not flash in the pan like some other series...

Tingle frankly should have been in by now having his own games, multiple appearances and appearing in Mario Maker as one of the very few Zelda characters, but sadly North America react bad to Tingle. I'm personally a fan of his. Firebombing the stage sounds fun.

Ganondorf needs more tweaks too but improvements have been made this game. I'll wait and see the end result before moaning about him.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
One offs shouldn't be discriminated against either; Fire Emblem is full of one offs and yet Zelda cannot obtain one off fighters with proven lasting popularity such as Midna and Skull Kid. Both have big fanbases who have stayed loyal to these characters. It's not flash in the pan like some other series...
Quit using Fire Emblem to argue for one shots. Have you forgotten that FE doesn't have a core main cast the way Zelda does?

Being a one shot main character isn't a guarantee. Otherwise Bowser Jr. would have gotten in Brawl without his Junior Clown Car since he was a main character in Sunshine.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Quit using Fire Emblem to argue for one shots. Have you forgotten that FE doesn't have a core main cast the way Zelda does?

Being a one shot main character isn't a guarantee. Otherwise Bowser Jr. would have gotten in Brawl without his Junior Clown Car since he was a main character in Sunshine.
I actually would have loved that.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Although we have :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: (that’s three different versions of Link), :ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:, I would like to see Skull Kid w/Tatl and Tael, Ghirahim, Impa, Daruk, Revali, Urbosa, Mipha, Vaati, Midna, and even Tingle, just to see something different.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
First off, who gives a **** if a character is a one-shot? Popularity, moveset potential, and fitting with the tone are the most important factors in my opinion.

Anyway, here's how the Zelda roster should be:

Link
Ganondorf (mage with a few sword attacks)
Masked Link
Skull Kid

If the total roster is big enough that it's warranted, there are a few other characters vying for that fifth spot. Zelda should be an archer, if she gets in. Using the silver/light arrows or giving them to Link is her main role in the series. Toon Link shouldn't be in unless there's enough in his games to make him drastically different. Impa makes more sense than Sheik, but I don't think either of them are particularly popular outside Smash. Vaati barely does anything moveset-wise except in his boss form, so I don't support him as much as I support someone like Merric or Lewyn.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Fair point....Well I guess you have Anna...

...although technically even the main cast of Zelda are different people each games sans maybe Ganondorf. Link and Zelda are totally different people each game as is Impa and most likely Tingle and Skull Kid.

Fire Emblem (and Pokémon actually at the time of their release if Jr counts as a one shot during Brawl) are going to get used since every new game brings a new one off though.

Zelda's fanbase is hungry for new characters, and whilst FE and Pokémon tend to get a shiny new one off each time, Zelda which has an arguable main cast of three reincarnated souls, one of which we've got repeated three times, has been locked out of being granted the same one off opportunities as a series like Fire Emblem on a tiny technicality.

If Geno gets added, it's a better example of a one off hypocrisy clause against Zelda since not only does Mario have a main cast, a one off would be making it in before some of said main cast members; Toad/Captain Toad, Toadette and Waluigi.
If Geno happens it just highlights how badly the Zelda series is handled in my opinion.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I want more, to be precise I want Impa, as she has appeared in multiple games and could be an easy echo. I find it jarring, that Zelda had no additions since Brawl (if you count Toon Link, one could argue it was "just the new Young Link") and potentially won't get any characters in Ultimate...

D

Deleted member

So, uh, is this an appropriate place to ask what everyone's favorite Zelda game is?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So, uh, is this an appropriate place to ask what everyone's favorite Zelda game is?
Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild and Four Sword Adventures which is great fun on the rare chance you can get four GBAs, four GameCube to GBA link cables and four friends around to play it. Hoping Four Swords gets the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles treatment on the Switch with a less convoluted controller system.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Day 2! Today's topic is....
Imagine that Pig-beast Ganon replaced Ganondorf in Smash. How would you integrate his moveset? Would he be original, or similar to Dorf? Or would you keep Ganondorf instead?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, Ganondorf's moveset should have stayed where it was in Smash 4. It's just too fun to lose, and I'm not fond of the idea of getting another heavy sword user when we already have Ike, Shulk, and Cloud.

Yeah, it's not a faithful portrayal, but neither is Mario not having the Goomba Stomp when Doc has it.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Personally, I'd take pig Ganon over Ganondorf but if Ganondorf's basic moves move to Black Shadow. that'd be perfect. He'd be original since I can't possibly see a character with the same body type as King K. Rool doing those moves, plus he has a spear... ( Okay Ganondorf had a sword... but still XD).

Top Bottom