• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pre-Release Smash Ultimate Doubles Team Theorycrafting Thread

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Smash doubles is one of my favorite competitive smash events to watch as a spectator. I play doubles with friends a lot and I want to know what you consider to be the characters and teams to watch out for.

So for example, I really want to see the :ultike::ultjigglypuff: team up since both characters received landing lag reduction and they cover each other’s weaknesses really well. I can see the Ike player going in and rushing down the other team while Puff is there for backup and combos when suddenly there’s a rest combo and everyone goes crazy!

That’s just an idea for now though. What teams are you excited for?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I think :ultinkling: + any character that excels in the air and has multiple jumps like :ultmetaknight: or :ultjigglypuff: has potential, they can lay down turf which slows down grounded opponents, which means the opposition either A. has to jump and go into a position where Inkling's partner will likely have a advantage over them or B. nerf their own movement by staying on the ground in ink, while Inkling's partner can avoid touching the turf if they play around it.

Last edited:

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
:ultinkling::ultlucario: --- Potential for Inkling covering an opponent with ink and then Lucario attacks with max Aura
:ultsnake::ultbayonetta: --- just because they would be very powerful and explosive together
:ultsheik: :ultridley: --- Sheik has the quick agility and Ridley has the control (just due to size) and the power

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm totally on board the teams-is-better-than-singles train, but we need to be realistic about the historical state of development of the doubles meta.

For 19 years, the best doubles teams have consistently been top players playing top characters they are well-practiced with. This overwhelmingly drawfs all other factors.

There are a few exceptions that prove the rule:
  • The biggest is that teams who practice together regularly have a nontrivial advantage.
  • Some players and some characters are simply better at teams, especially those who struggle in the neutral or recovery.
  • Characters who cannot kill appreciate being on a team with those who can; however, the affinity is less than you think, especially when you idea of who "can kill" is deeply rooted in singles.
  • Jigglypuff Rest and Cloud Finishing Touch are significantly better in teams.
  • Double-character teams tend to work fine while not being optimal--data shows that Cloud performs better with various other teammates than himself.
  • G&W Bucket + Ness/Lucas PSI Magnet + Villager Pocket all had some novelty team synergies in past games. (These were heavily nerfed in a Smash 4 patch.)
  • Brawl: Faux-super armor allowed certain team-based exploits in Brawl, such as Snake C4ing MK u-throw.
  • Brawl: Planking by an ally allowed Lucario to attempt to 1v2 the enemy team with 5 stocks, gaining a massive aura bonus as he "fell behind."
...but on the whole, there has never developed any pattern of certain team pairings doing uniquely well, nor patterns in overall team composition for 3v3s or 4v4s.

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
I'm totally on board the teams-is-better-than-singles train, but we need to be realistic about the historical state of development of the doubles meta.
For 19 years, the best doubles teams have consistently been top players playing top characters they are well-practiced with. This overwhelmingly drawfs all other factors.
...but on the whole, there has never developed any pattern of certain team pairings doing uniquely well, nor patterns in overall team composition for 3v3s or 4v4s.
True. Of course the skill of the players will always be the predominate factor, but I personally feel that a certain 'symbiosis' between characters on a team can be quite advantageous. I like to see teams that work together due to characters' differences. Granted, the pairings I've previously mentioned aren't based on that, more so what I would find most amusing, but opposites can work quite well. A Hand-to-Hand and a Range. A Strong Aerial and a Strong Ground. A Fast and a Slow. Etc.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultlink: + :ultpikachu: perhaps. Link excels in range and kill power (although Pikachu's is better than before), as well as trapping the opponent/zoning, while Pikachu provides more consistent combos, the ability to interrupt opponents with Thunder Jolt, having notable kill power of his own, and can perhaps save Link offstage, while both might be very scary when it comes to edgeguarding. Honestly, I would like to see this team be done well, but we would have to see.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I get the feeling the many nerfs Chocobo Head(Cloud) got In Ultimate was due in small part to his rep of being the undisputed king of Doubles in Sm4sh, so I wonder how his changes-along with the new mechanics of how damage is scaled- will change things around.

Top Bottom