• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm actually legitimately worried that Mileena's not in the game now.

The leak back in December correctly stated that Kronika was the new villain and the game would involve time travel, named Geras as a character, and called the changes to X-ray moves and supers, However, the leak didn't name Skarlet. So.

I'll live if my main isn't in it-- I have like five or six secondaries-- but goddammit why would you remove Mileena?
That roster is satisfactory for me. Has the boys Kabal, Erron, and Rain. Even has Jade which will make her fans stop spamming Boon on Twitter for her.

Hold up never mind it doesn't have Kabal that ***** fake lmao

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord

The leak back in December correctly stated that Kronika was the new villain and the game would involve time travel, named Geras as a character, and called the changes to X-ray moves and supers, However, the leak didn't name Skarlet. So.

I'll live if my main isn't in it-- I have like five or six secondaries-- but goddammit why would you remove Mileena?
I mean, Mileena kinda died in MKX

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I'm just stuck here rooting for my no-hope obscure favorite to get in MK11, which is Sareena. At least she was in MKX's story, so she's not forgotten! But yeah, I don't think her chances are high.

D

Deleted member

TBH with all the data mining shenanigans that have happened lately, I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo is gonna do a Direct soon after all.

SNES game suddenly popping into the NSO VC files, Link suddenly appearing in Mario Tennis' files, Piranha Plant needing a release date announced the closer we get to February...

EDIT: Apologies for the Mario Tennis stuff, apparently that was fake, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
TBH with all the data mining shenanigans that have happened lately, I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo is gonna do a Direct soon after all.

SNES game suddenly popping into the NSO VC files, Link suddenly appearing in Mario Tennis' files, Piranha Plant needing a release date announced the closer we get to February...

Link was in Mario Tennis aces code?

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Fortnite stuff in Smash would honestly be pretty neat. It's a fun game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In some areas of the Smash fandom, my opinions are kinda controversial, my most wanted was Incineroar (thank Sakurai for him being in) and I’m a big Steve supporter. I also like to olay Fortnite sometimes.
BUT a Fortnite rep in Smash would make me really disappointed, I think it’s an actually bad pick. Why?
Fortnite is a multiplat that came to the Switch after other platforms. For me, it’s an alright pretty fun shooter that has been popular for over a year now.
THAT IS NOT ENOUGH in my opinion
Persona 5 is pretty new, but is a part of a longer series and is extremally full of effort and quality
Minecraft is the second most bought game in history, much more popular than Fortnite ever has been or almost certainly ever will be. Minecraft has had a simmilar level of popularity for 8 years, when Fortnite hits that mark and is still really popular, then maybe it I’ll be worthy in my eyes. I still think minecraft is a better game, but that's less important.

D

Deleted member

Link was in Mario Tennis aces code?
Was going to grab a link (heh) to share what was found, but it looks like it was fake:

Bummer. Sorry for spreading misinformation, only just learned this.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Do I really need to provide a list of every character in MK that has died but come back?

Including Mileena?

Also the game involves time travel so.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Was going to grab a link (heh) to share what was found, but it looks like it was fake:

Bummer. Sorry for spreading misinformation, only just learned this.
Nah no worries man. Not your fault.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Are you seriously comparing Waluigi to Ridley?

We got a ****ing PLANT over him....it's over.
(Note, nothing against Piranha Plant; I am waiting impatiently to try it out)
They put in a second Samus instead of Ridley in Brawl, even going so far as to give her abilities she didn't have in her own game to make her work, and didn't even add a Metroid newcomer in 4.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

If anything we'll just get a Mini-Direct dropped one day announcing a bunch of small stuff. That's what happened last year.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Unless I miss remember, MKX ended with a violent Raiden warning the now dead/evil Liu Kand and Kitana against invading Earth Realm. And in the trailer, we see that they are all now back to normal, it seems.

We have a time traveler deity or something getting into the mix, the whole story is probably going to be about alternate timelines. Doesn't seem to be any reason we can't have dead characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They put in a second Samus instead of Ridley in Brawl, even going so far as to give her abilities she didn't have in her own game to make her work, and didn't even add a Metroid newcomer in 4.
Ridley barely started to have notable support until after Brawl's roster had already been decided, and no character showing up is better than a ****ING COMMON ENEMY showing up after you've missed the chance SEVERAL times.

People. Stop trying to compare Waluigi's situation to Ridley's.
You're only doing more harm than good.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If anything we'll just get a Mini-Direct dropped one day announcing a bunch of small stuff. That's what happened last year.
Normally, I'd agree with that, however; I don't think that will be the case this time.

Nintendo has a lot to share this year with all the major titles they have coming and have in development. TBH, I'm starting to think a general Direct is being planned sometime for mid February/early March.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Are all of those common mooks from the same exact series as Ridley?

No.
Doesn't work.
I do get your point fam, its a little odd, I agree.

I love the :ultpiranha: and how off brand it is.

But even in itself I gotta ask why not have Petey be the 'One who has all' when comes to Piranha Plants and their variants?

Its like if you had a Koopa before :ultbowser:, Now that Koopa can summon :ultbowser: as a final smash but why not just have :ultbowser:?

With Waluigi, ya know what, hell if they can make :ultfalcon::ultfox:out of nothing they can give him a unique set.

He unlike :ultfalcon::ultfox: Does have abilties unique to him

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm pretty sure Waluigi will happen eventually, I do not believe Sakurai genuinely dislikes him, and I honestly think Ultimate was the first time it was realistic to outright expect him (not knowing we'd get fewer newcomers at the time). His demand has also exploded in the past year's time or so, he's had a notable fanbase since Brawl of course, but he's never been as popular as he was pre-Ultimate, not even close, I'm sure that's going to be taken into consideration whenever they plan the next game (or in the unlikely event we get a 2nd season of DLC and ATs are eligible for that).

Comparing him to Ridley doesn't make sense though, that was always a design issue over anything else, Waluigi doesn't have a problem like that.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Waluigi will happen eventually, I do not believe Sakurai genuinely dislikes him, and I honestly think Ultimate was the first time it was realistic to outright expect him (not knowing we'd get fewer newcomers at the time). His demand has also exploded in the past year's time or so, he's had a notable fanbase since Brawl of course, but he's never been as popular as he was pre-Ultimate, not even close, I'm sure that's going to be taken into consideration whenever they plan the next game (or in the unlikely event we get a 2nd season of DLC and ATs are eligible for that).

Comparing him to Ridley doesn't make sense though, that was always a design issue over anything else, Waluigi doesn't have a problem like that.

I'm surprised they don't put him in the Luigi's Mansion games.

It seems like such a 'no brainer'

D

Deleted member

Think of it this way.
Since Ridley's been a boss in Brawl, the following Metroid characters have been added before him: N/A.
Since Waluigi's been an Assist in Brawl, the following Mario characters have been added/reintroduced before him: :rosalina::4bowserjr::4drmario::ultdaisy::ultpiranha:

D

Deleted member

As someone who had Waluigi as their number #1 most wanted before E3 last year...

I don't know what Waluigi's chances are for the future. For Ultimate, I'd say probably none, unfortunately: I am not personally convinced ATs will have a shot at being promoted in the same game they were ATs in. While I would like to say that Waluigi's chances for the inevitable Smash 6 are high, I honestly don't know. I think it depends on how popular the character is by the time the next Smash comes around. If Waluigi manages to get more playable appearances (or better yet, his own game) and keeps his current fan-favorite meme status, then yeah, I'd say the odds seem good.

It all depends on what happens with his character in the future. Ridley and K. Rool had a lot going for them this game in hindsight, so them finally joining the roster made a lot of sense. If Waluigi reaches the same level of demand by the time Smash 6 rolls around, then yes, I do think he will make it, but only then. As for comparing him to Ridley, I think most people are talking about the outcry over the lack of his inclusion being similar rather than the reason why he wasn't included on the roster. They both also have/had memes surrounding them.

Pakky

Smash Hero
What purpose would he serve in a game where Luigi fights ghosts in haunted buildings?
Well basically any reason really.

- He could be the one controlling King Boo and or the colored ghosts that aren't boos.

- He could be a goon that turns out to be the final boss in the end

There are tons of reasons, he wants to make Luigi have a bad day. Anything that accomplishes that is purposeful enough.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm surprised they don't put him in the Luigi's Mansion games.

It seems like such a 'no brainer'
Him not being in WarioWare is the weirder one for me, his personality would fit in so well, and it's the perfect opportunity for him and Wario to have some more interactions. I know WarioWare tries to be its own thing, but I still think it's a massive missed opportunity.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Him not being in WarioWare is the weirder one for me, his personality would fit in so well, and it's the perfect opportunity for him and Wario to have some more interactions. I know WarioWare tries to be its own thing, but I still think it's a massive missed opportunity.
Especially since he and Jimmy are like the same build and everything.

(I personally REALLY like Waluigi)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well basically any reason really.

- He could be the one controlling King Boo and or the colored ghosts that aren't boos.

- He could be a goon that turns out to be the final boss in the end

There are tons of reasons, he wants to make Luigi have a bad day. Anything that accomplishes that is purposeful enough.
Wouldn’t that undermine King Boo’s role and purpose in the game?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wouldn’t that undermine King Boo’s role and purpose in the game?
Good point but nah I don't think so, it all depends on how its handled.

For example :ultkrool: is STILL considered to be the main villain of DK despite not being in the last two games.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Make a game where some villain is doing something bad in some far off land, and a denizen of said land comes to the mushroom kingdom to find Mario. Mario is busy, so they look for Luigi. Luigi is busy, so they seek out Wario. Wario is busy, so that leaves them one option...

Yoshi. Yoshi is busy.

Then Waluigi nominates himself to be the hero, finally getting the spotlight.

Call it Waluigi Time.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Good point but nah I don't think so, it all depends on how its handled.

For example :ultkrool: is STILL considered to be the main villain of DK despite not being in the last two games.
I guess but I feel like with how the games are set up, it’s easier to justify a more varied set of antagonists for a DKC game than a game where your main mechanic is sucking up ghosts with a vacuum.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Pakky

Smash Hero
Make a game where some villain is doing something bad in some far off land, and a denizen of said land comes to the mushroom kingdom to find Mario. Mario is busy, so they look for Luigi. Luigi is busy, so they seek out Wario. Wario is busy, so that leaves them one option...

Yoshi. Yoshi is busy.

Then Waluigi nominates himself to be the hero, finally getting the spotlight.

Call it Waluigi Time.
What that but reversed?

Like there's a pompous hero in a far off land that has just murdered his villain. So the henchmen go off to find a new master.

Wario: Wah you guys smell bad

Mario: Busy

Luigi: busy

KING KOOPA???: Too scary

That leaves...

KING BOO baby!

No: WAY too spooky

So you have Waluigi.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
when you realize Zelda
  • still hasn’t had a recent newcomer
  • franchise not having a newcomer since Brawl
  • universe not having a newcomer who isn’t another Link since Melee

D

Deleted member

You're right. :ultdaisy: definitely deserves a grand open-world RPG.

I didn't click on your link because I'm at work but I assume by the rest of the post you were talking about :ultdaisy:.
Daisy's game needs to somehow involve her saying "Hi I'm Daisy!" as a main mechanic.

Instant 10/10 game.

D

Deleted member

Actually, the Geras and Kronika stuff seems to be piggybacking off of another leak on 4chan which guessed them prior on the 14th. https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/442898781/
Mileena’s safe for now.

Oh, and the MK11 trailer was aight. Nice new gameplay and roster, but those faces though.
Sub-Zero looks so cool though holy ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom