• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Trust me, you'll enjoy it... As long as you like unorthodox controls

Also, if you like Smash, you'll probably like the multiplayer mode Again, as long as you like unorthodox controls
the ruthless controls makes it worth it...as does everything else

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sakurai: “What the flippin ****! This guy! We made do with Snake and Bayonetta but Doomguy? Why not someone cute like Katalina, Rayman, or Banjo?
Beseida? What’s that? The company who made Skyrim? Why not add that character? I would like to play as Skyrim!
Thank you Venus, I needed this. I would love to see this as canon.
Alright but for real with Steve; is that a big goofy smile, or a goatee he's rocking? I genuinely cannot tell.

If it's a goatee, is the pink square his nose or mouth? WHAT IS STEVE'S FACE?
OMG I've been wondering this the whole time!

If it's a smile, it looks really derpy, but it's a weirdly shaped goatee otherwise. Still, we're in desperate need of more facial hair dudes, considering we lost one.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The leaks/ rumours aside. (Pretending they don't exist or are incorrect)

I think an Arc System Works character is a massively slept on possibility.

They have 3 major series that have been around since the arcade era and NES era. More importantly continue to have games in recent years.

The series I think most likely to get a rep is Double Dragon and the main characters Billy & Jimmy Lee.

Researching this series, it's been on a ton of consoles, which includes plenty of Nintendo consoles. Even had a crossover with Battletoads, which is a pretty neat side note.

I imagine a unique mechanic could be benefiting from beating up enemies. The more you beat em up the more items (ones only they can pick up) appear to drop from their enemies ie like basebats drop from enemies in their games. In short it's basically a beat em' styled mechanic which feels like they're in their own beat em' up while they smash.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Funny how you can make a RPG Team with the DLC

Erdrick - Knight
Steve - Miner
Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja
Doomguy - Shooter
Joker - Thief

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Erdrick - Knight
Steve - Miner
Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja
Doomguy - Shooter
Joker - Thief
Erdrick's more of a Magic Knight. A good way to look at the Hero Class in DQ is they're usually either a Knight/Fighter or a Magic Knight.

D

Deleted member

So did this DLC leak come out before Joker's reveal? I'm a little outta the loop

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, literally the only thing this has going for it is Erdrick who was leaked by Vergeben a long-*** time ago.

Why are we giving it the time of day again?
Because it got something right...

Yet, we gave Loz18 the time of day, because he also got something right...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, literally the only thing this has going for it is Erdrick who was leaked by Vergeben a long-*** time ago.

Why are we giving it the time of day again?
It said Persona 5R before reveal, big news sources like IGN covered it, and most agree the roster it proposes seems sensible. Most are just humouring I thiugh. P5R has been rumoured for a long time.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wait, it didn't?

That's literally my only reason that I was believing it. I thought people said it was one of those that came out and nobody gave it the time of day until they saw it had Joker.

Well, that's that then. I'm officially no longer on Team Real.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How plausable is Erdrick?
I've been out of the loop, comin' in now.

Remember Verg talked about another Square rep some time ago, but none in particular was pointed out as far as I knew.
Could be Lara, Geno?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Remember Verg talked about another Square rep some time ago, but none in particular was pointed out as far as I knew.
Could be Lara, Geno?
Pretty much every insider agreed that the SE character is DQ's Erdrick and the Brave codename fits the bill for him. Because of the whole Japanese name of Hero also meaning Brave.

D

Deleted member

Wait, it didn't?

That's literally my only reason that I was believing it. I thought people said it was one of those that came out and nobody gave it the time of day until they saw it had Joker.

Well, that's that then. I'm officially no longer on Team Real.
Apparently the guy who posted the leak said that the leak actually came from Reddit and was posted before Joker’s reveal, and that he just translated it to Japanese and brought it over to 5chan. Very fishy imo.

D

Deleted member

It said Persona 5R before reveal, big news sources like IGN covered it, and most agree the roster it proposes seems sensible. Most are just humouring I thiugh. P5R has been rumoured for a long time.
That's fair but someone knowing/not knowing info for something doesn't mean they know/don't know anything about other things. See Vergeben being a joke in other fighting game communities but also getting things spot-on for Ultimate base game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Could be Lara, Geno?
Assuming Erdrick is from one of the biggest Japanese gaming franchise that have yet to be in Smash, I think he's been plausible ever since Cloud got in Smash 4

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Erdrick - Knight
Steve - Miner
Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja
Doomguy - Shooter
Joker - Thief
"Miner"

What a useless RPG role...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I lost two stocks at once for failing to recover onto stage, wtf?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
See Vergeben being a joke in other fighting game communities but also getting things spot-on for Ultimate base game.
Except you know, K. Rool, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, etc.

I don't recall Vergeben ever directly mentioning Erdrick until someone else leaked the full list of characters that've been tossed around. He's been very adamant about Minecraft content in the game despite nothing appearing in the base game, and the leak states that Steve was pushed to DLC instead of base roster.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
Apparently the guy who posted the leak said that the leak actually came from Reddit and was posted before Joker’s reveal, and that he just translated it to Japanese and brought it over to 5chan. Very fishy imo.
has anyone been able to find the supposed reddit leak that matches the 5chan leak? it should have been posted before December 9th since that's when the Ryu/Doom/Steve leak was posted on 5chan

Shroob

Sup?

I don't recall Vergeben ever directly mentioning Erdrick until someone else leaked the full list of characters that've been tossed around. He's been very adamant about Minecraft content in the game despite nothing appearing in the base game, and the leak states that Steve was pushed to DLC instead of base roster.
Verg's info is legit.

Take it from someone like me who knew the roster as far back as July, Smash's roster was very well known as far back as then.

The Minecraft stuff is iffy, but his other info was common knowledge in the leak scene.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

has anyone been able to find the supposed reddit leak that matches the 5chan leak? it should have been posted before December 9th since that's when the Ryu/Doom/Steve leak was posted on 5chan
Guy in the square thread looked into it.
Of course this isn't concrete, but I tried to find any mention of both DQ and P5R on Reddit before Joker was revealed (using google search) and couldn't find anything.

For the record, I can find the noatesty post by searching "Incineroar" and "Piranha Plant" at the same time.
Can't find anything, anything mentioning Joker and any of the other characters on the list was made after the 7th, I don't think this post was ever made.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I haven't heard anything about a reddit post and nothing in the original text says anything about that.

The more I read into this the more I see that it's morphing into something it's not simply because nobody seems to actually link back to it. Even GameXplain is guilty of this.

1546742369700.png

Here. This is the entire thing (translated from native Japanese obviously.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uh... somebody DID leak the list of SE characters thats been thrown around and Erdrick was on it

And missing something doesn't mean he had no info. He didn't mention some newcomers, doesn't mean he didn't have accurate info on every single newcomer he mentioned besides MC content in base game.

The fact that he stuck to his Kencineroar guns during the Grinch leak really got me tbh.

D

Deleted member

I haven't heard anything about a reddit post and nothing in the original text says anything about that.

The more I read into this the more I see that it's morphing into something it's not simply because nobody seems to actually link back to it. Even GameXplain is guilty of this.

View attachment 185753

Here’s where the Reddit bit comes from.
Interesting.
The Doom leak text I used to translate and copy pasted was not the actual original but edited one. I should’ve check the original thread. My bad.

The part deleted is saying, “Looks like there was a leak overseas. Nobody believed it before Joker though”.
Then the leak part comes. This part is the same.

After the post somebody asked him where did you get this leak and he answered “reddit”.

Now if this guy was saying the truth then the Doom leak was originated from reddit overseas and he brought it to 5chan.
Or he was completely lying to make his “leak” a little convincing. I mean hey leaks always come from the west you know.

You can also interpret that he was referring to another leak. The part was just a reply to the OP.
But I don’t know. It has always been but something is very fishy to me.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Here’s where the Reddit bit comes from.
That's the first I've heard of that then. Thanks for posting the text.

Yeah that's fishy as hell and makes me doubt this all the more. Even if it were truly a pickup from reddit, literally anyone could post with predictions like that. This makes it a lie at worst and a repackage of a random no name "leak" by someone gullible at best.

RIP Doomguy.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Have we had any decent speculation "theories" in a while?

This one probably isn't the most solid but here's a pitch in the dark.

The DLC will be third party characters from the Nintendo Switches very small Online Service NES library.

Ninja Gaiden, Ghosts n goblins, double dragon all present.

XD

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

View attachment 185753

Pretty decent picks, but it's saddens me that out of all the 3rd parties, no Banjo & Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot or Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Uh... somebody DID leak the list of SE characters thats been thrown around and Erdrick was on it

And missing something doesn't mean he had no info. He didn't mention some newcomers, doesn't mean he didn't have accurate info on every single newcomer he mentioned besides MC content in base game.

The fact that he stuck to his Kencineroar guns during the Grinch leak really got me tbh.
It really seems like you didnt read my post at all

I said that I haven't seen or heard Vergeben directly state that the SE character was Erdrick. A long while ago, everyone thought it was Geno, or Sora. I mentioned that Erdrick's name was not brought up until someone leaked the list of SE characters.

I never said that he had no info either, you said "his base roster info is spot on" and I brought up the characters he obviously missed out on. He wasn't even sure if Ken or Isabelle were echos or not. He didnt even know about Joker either lol. I don't see the point in saying that he's so "spot on" but ignore the fact that he's been blindsided multiple times in the past, not just with Smash either

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The leaks/ rumours aside. (Pretending they don't exist or are incorrect)

I think an Arc System Works character is a massively slept on possibility.

They have 3 major series that have been around since the arcade era and NES era. More importantly continue to have games in recent years.

The series I think most likely to get a rep is Double Dragon and the main characters Billy & Jimmy Lee.

Researching this series, it's been on a ton of consoles, which includes plenty of Nintendo consoles. Even had a crossover with Battletoads, which is a pretty neat side note.

I imagine a unique mechanic could be benefiting from beating up enemies. The more you beat em up the more items (ones only they can pick up) appear to drop from their enemies ie like basebats drop from enemies in their games. In short it's basically a beat em' styled mechanic which feels like they're in their own beat em' up while they smash.
We have an Arc Sys character
:joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom