• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
...you guys realize that the DOOM/Hayabusa/Steve rumor isn't confirmed right?

From what i'm seeing, some are taking it as fact.
Some are just giving thoughts, not a whole lot is flat out buying it I hope. At very least, it isn't as extreme as Grinch leak.

D

Deleted member

The more I hear about Erdrick, the more I'm starting to like him. Being a Dragon Ball fan and being the closest we'll get to Goku will be memed to high hell. Plus, depending on which proportions they settle for, I can see him being an ideal model swap for Trunks. We also lack another sword and shield user that isn't just the Links already.

The only small thing preventing me from believing Erdrick is 100% in is the whole Square fiasco. Who knows though? Maybe someone from the FF team that isn't Nomura has most of its content by the balls and they're the bad egg making the rest of the company look awful. Meanwhile, whoever runs most of the DQ stuff is actually chill and maybe we'll get comparatively more content with Erdrick? I hear the music thing isn't actually that big an issue either.
Trust me. The DQ games are actually cool.

The only huge problem is the music.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Some are just giving thoughts, not a whole lot is flat out buying it I hope. At very least, it isn't as extreme as Grinch leak.
Yeah I suppose.

I also weighed in on it and it seems this person is trying to do some massive piggybacking off Erdrick to make himself look credible. That and the Steve rumors going around already.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I just shared how he has more than a sword and magic (whips, lances, boomerangs and axes being some of them).
I know mate. It just seems everytime we talk about how a sword character would be cool for Smash, we start with "x isn't just a sword character".

D

Deleted member

Guys, swords are the worst. I mean, just look how many sword users there are on the roster!:

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultmarth::ultike::ultroy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultshulk::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultcloud:

15 out of 74!? Ludicrous! Sakurai's bias for these characters is extremely clear here, I'm afraid. SMH, when are fighters who punch and kick or have their own gimmicks gonna get more love?

Yeah, this is sarcasm for anyone curious.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Not exactly super hype for the rumor. I kinda question if it is even true due to the part about Steve being held back. It seem very possible this part is fake and is just piggybacking off of Verge's old claims.

Joker: Very cool, was always interested in playing P5 but it was a Sony exclusive. Not what I expected but I will take it.

Erdrick: Not interested in DQ at all. Don't mind but also don't care.

Ryu: Not too interested as well, but if he makes it in I would consider checking him out more.

Doom Guy: Pretty hype and is one of my wanted character, though I kinda question if he has a chance as he is a western character.

Steve: Sigh. I really don't want Steve. I am cool with Minecraft and would be okay with a boss or a stage, but I don't really find any appeal in Steve himself. Plus, imagine if there was a Banjo and Kazooie skin cameo was in the stage xP (they would just randomly appear in the background and wave hi). The salt would be pretty insane for this character and I kinda fear that.
I've been warming up to Steve - he's unquestionably deserving and a Minecraft stage could be really fun. It's not something I'd go out of my way for, but I'm not opposed to it.

My biggest issue with Doomguy is just that he's the big competition for my absolute most wanted, and mine really never had a chance against the more popular one. It was the same with Tails vs. Shadow and why I wasn't a fan of the edgehog. In either case, I'd have absolutely no issues if both got in, but if we're only getting one, I'm frustrated that my favorite is the one being left on the sidelines in lieu of one who I have no connection to. He's cool and normally I'd be hype, I'll give you that. He's just not the Dragonborn.

The other three - no clue. I don't like JRPGs on principle, and I've never had a playstation, so two of those are complete unknowns to me. The third I know even less about.

With all of them, I've decided I want to see them in action before I decide to put money down, but I'm not crazy about them just from the names. I've been thinking this for a while with most games though that I shouldn't put all of my hopes on DLC and get the passes - I usually get the DLC packs for games sight unseen, then I never end up playing the characters, so it ends up feeling like a waste of money and just disappoints me more. Big one for me was Mortal Kombat since I hate horror films, so most of the DLC guests they put in were literal whos for me and didn't excite me at all.

I suppose if one of these guys looks cool I'll spring for it later. I'm sure all five could have great kits and be loads of fun, but as someone who has no connection with any of them, I'll wait and see. Who knows, one of them could interest me later - I was bummed by the end of Sm4sh DLC with Corrin and Bayo, but the witch was actually one of the characters I was most interested in seeing for this game.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Trust me. The DQ games are actually cool.

The only huge problem is the music.
That's the thing though: I hear the music deal is being blown out of proportion. I sense no real problems with Erdrick being in Smash. If we get him, I can already hear him say this:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another black mark on this rumor is that it almost implies that all the reveals will happen by E3. Which I think is ludicrous. Maybe we'll have 4 out of the 5 characters revealed at best but all 5 is stretching it big time.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I want it so bad but I've been burned before. Putting it in the "maybe" pile and we'll see what happens.

It is worth mentioning that from what I read, this came before the Joker/Erdrick/P5A rumor and has much of the same content.

Just food for thought.

D

Deleted member

That's the thing though: I hear the music deal is being blown out of proportion. I sense no real problems with Erdrick being in Smash. If we get him, I can already hear him say this:
I also feel like the music thing is being taken too seriously.

I played some of the DQ games on the Nintendo DS and DQ8 on PS2. I never stopped to think about any problem related to the music, because i only wanted to play the levels and enjoy the story and characters.

It may be a traditional JRPG, but it sure is a great one at that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly, if they wanted to keep this stuff a secret and confuse dataminers then I don't see why they didn't just use random dictionary words. Speculation would be a lot more interesting if we had Piranha Plant, Joker and 'Banana' to argue over...
I think I'd be more upset thinking we'd be getting Dixie Kong and getting Erdrick than the current situation. No offense meant to Erdrick, he seems fine but he's not someone I've wanted since Brawl.

Doesn't matter what word you use, it'll get associated with someone's favourite and more disappointment occurs. Might as well make it straight forward!

D

Deleted member

Another black mark on this rumor is that it almost implies that all the reveals will happen by E3. Which I think is ludicrous. Maybe we'll have 4 out of the 5 characters revealed at best but all 5 is stretching it big time.
IMO I wouldn't expect to hear about DLC #2 until E3, so for me personally I'm sure not expecting that much to be known by then.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I want it so bad but I've been burned before. Putting it in the "maybe" pile and we'll see what happens.

It is worth mentioning that from what I read, this came before the Joker/Erdrick/P5A rumor and has much of the same content.

Just food for thought.
Dragon Quest was rumored before that. And Steve has been rumored going all the way back to September IIRC.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I've been warming up to Steve - he's unquestionably deserving and a Minecraft stage could be really fun. It's not something I'd go out of my way for, but I'm not opposed to it.
Can't deny he has a good reason to be in Smash, I just don't like him xP.

My biggest issue with Doomguy is just that he's the big competition for my absolute most wanted, and mine really never had a chance against the more popular one. It was the same with Tails vs. Shadow and why I wasn't a fan of the edgehog. In either case, I'd have absolutely no issues if both got in, but if we're only getting one, I'm frustrated that my favorite is the one being left on the sidelines in lieu of one who I have no connection to. He's cool and normally I'd be hype, I'll give you that. He's just not the Dragonborn.
I tried to like Skyrim after all the praise it gets, but the game bore me to tears and it doesn't help medieval style of talking was unbearable for me to listen to. I wouldn't mind Dragonborn, but also don't really find him too interesting.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
IMO I wouldn't expect to hear about DLC #2 until E3, so for me personally I'm sure not expecting that much to be known by then.
I can see someone eventually leak a screenshot of Joker assuming we don't get to see a gameplay build of him until E3 (or March at the earliest, coinciding with Ultimate's first tease). If Erdrick ends up being DLC #2 though, it would make the rest of the line-up that much more ambiguous, if it's just him and no one else announced.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe Edrick is revealed in a March Direct and two characters revealed at E3. But all of them by E3 I don't see happening.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I can see someone eventually leak a screenshot of Joker assuming we don't get to see a gameplay build of him until E3 (or March at the earliest, coinciding with Ultimate's first tease). If Erdrick ends up being DLC #2 though, it would make the rest of the line-up that much more ambiguous, if it's just him and no one else announced.
1 year reveal anniversary stream to reveal Joker, mii costumes, and Brave

sure that works

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if there's music pieces in the online challenges board?
Also, will finishing New Game+ give or reveal anything new?
Thanks

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I originally had that same though...

But then I remembered they have to release all the DLC by Feb. 2020.

Waiting 7 months after Joker's reveal to reveal the next character is really pushing it, unless you're revealing 2 characters fully (not teasing) at E3.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to explain to me what's going on or am i to assume you all got worked up over a nothingburger?

Bionichute

Smash Champion

Just food for thought.
it actually isn't, it only came out after joker was revealed im pretty sure. there's basically no reason to trust it

D

Deleted member

I don't think Joker will take that long to release. These are all supposed to be out by Feb. next year, if it takes that long to get just Joker then that makes the spacing super weird. Joker will most likely be around late March-April IMO.

I originally had that same though...

But then I remembered they have to release all the DLC by Feb. 2020.

Waiting 7 months after Joker's reveal to reveal the next character is really pushing it, unless you're revealing 2 characters fully (not teasing) at E3.
I'm expecting DLC #2 to be an "available now" kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to explain to me what's going on or am i to assume you all got worked up over a nothingburger?
New rumor from a source who predicts Erdrick.

Ninja Gaiden guy
Doom Guy
Steve from MineCraft

Serving as all of the DLC characters for season 1.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Maybe Edrick is revealed in a March Direct and two characters revealed at E3. But all of them by E3 I don't see happening.
March = "Brave" Teaser with Joker gameplay
E3 = Three & Four Teasers with "Brave" gameplay
TGS or November = Five Teaser with Three & Four gameplay

My general predictions.

1 year reveal anniversary stream to reveal Joker, mii costumes, and Brave

sure that works
Would be even funnier considering which characters sprung up the Ultimate Train in the first place... :ultinkling:

I don't think Joker will take that long to release. These are all supposed to be out by Feb. next year, if it takes that long to get just Joker then that makes the spacing super weird. Joker will most likely be around late March-April IMO.
True enough, but it's kind of why I mentioned March in particular. It feels like the earliest we might get considering Piranha Plant, a bonus fighter, comes out in February (or was it this month? I can't remember). E3 feels like the right event to announced 3 of the 5 characters, with the final one being teased somewhere in Fall (much like with Cloud). Assuming this list is real, it'd be ideal to announce Doomguy and Steve in E3 given its strong Western presence.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
DLC #3: A second set of mii fighters with better classes

thanks nintnendno
Just give me a Gunblade Brawler that combines the best traits and aspects of the other two classes into the Brawler and puts Gunblade Gauntlets/Boots on their hands and feet and that'll be enough to make me happy, as a Mii Brawler main. lol

Bionichute

Smash Champion
New rumor from a source who predicts Erdrick.

Ninja Gaiden guy
Doom Guy
Steve from MineCraft

Serving as all of the DLC characters for season 1.
also to note that it has no validity beyond saying erdrick is here, which got confirmed via datamining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom