• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Trying to decide on my one true main, on a scale of projectile-spammy to Marth-clone.

:ultyounglink::ultrobin::ultzelda:Daisy:ultcorrin::ultlucina:

I think... I think I might actually become a Zelda main?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think this comment sorta hints that after the five characters, Sakurai is going to split town and it'll be the end of Smash Ultimate DLC.

So Wave 2 is kinda in question I think.
Well this is disappointing. Is now the time to expect the worst?

Shin Megami Tensei, because one of the monsters is literally a giant ****.
Ohohoho~ One of the monsters? As in JUST one? Shin Megami Tensei is H.R. Giger's wet dream.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/2...and-atlus-games-in-a-special-video-interview/

"For Persona 5’s acid jazz battle theme, Sakurai says it isn’t fitting for a battle theme, and if it were Smash Bros. it definitely wouldn’t be a battle theme, yet to have the sense to still push that is something Sakurai finds quite remarkable."

uh oh
Oh for the love of-

SAKURAI!

I know I'm like over a week late replying to this but **** that was funny.
I'm glad I got a laugh out of you!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well it happened before and that seems to be the indication in the interview. We'll see what happens but like I said, 70-30 Wave 1 is the end IMO.

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
Or perhaps those kids were just smarter.

Perhaps so, but when people claim Pokemon is game for everyone to play one minute but then say the next minute that it's a game aimed at kids, it kinda defeats the purpose of both sides in regards to wanting a hard mode. Game Freak's idea of giving something for older players to enjoy is just adding more dumb NPCs that you can deal with via level advantage. I honestly don't think it's fair to say that just because a game is aimed at kids that it can't get harder or more challenging when even games for kids such as the once-popular kids' franchise Skylanders had extremely difficult levels later in the games with how strong enemies get but at least every character can just level themselves up on a skill line their choosing for powerful combo potential in addition to that series understanding some options are better than others with the existence of Elite variants.
It's more a matter of Pokemon being 'accessible' to everyone, but perhaps not 'for' everyone. A hard game can only be beat by the skilled or those with the patience to become skilled. An easier game can be beat by everyone, but not everyone will be interested in that. To be fair too, Pokemon has challenge options in their games from time to time that restrict levels of Pokemon used with things like Battle Tree.

Oh, for those curious, 2.04 million GSP doesn't seem to be enough to be Elite with Kirby. I've been fairly fortunate that I think I've always gotten in 1v1 though, so that's cool. stages and stock/time amount will vary occasionally, but nothing that bothers me much.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well it happened before and that seems to be the indication in the interview. We'll see what happens but like I said, 70-30 Wave 1 is the end IMO.
Seems like I'll have to roll around the fence once more, only this time my back's gonna be turned on prosperity.

Don't forget the amount of demons with bare tid hanging out...

A lot of which are male.
And one of them is literally Satan.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even if we only get 1 Season Pass. Its still unbelievable Sakurai managed to get everyone in on top of totaling 82 playable characters. I can live with that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/2...and-atlus-games-in-a-special-video-interview/

"For Persona 5’s acid jazz battle theme, Sakurai says it isn’t fitting for a battle theme, and if it were Smash Bros. it definitely wouldn’t be a battle theme, yet to have the sense to still push that is something Sakurai finds quite remarkable."

uh oh
I hope its replaced by something good or i'll- oh who am I kidding, Ill still be happy because Joker is in smash

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
It's more a matter of Pokemon being 'accessible' to everyone, but perhaps not 'for' everyone. A hard game can only be beat by the skilled or those with the patience to become skilled. An easier game can be beat by everyone, but not everyone will be interested in that. To be fair too, Pokemon has challenge options in their games from time to time that restrict levels of Pokemon used with things like Battle Tree.
Even so, just because a game is more accessible, it doesn't mean it can't be harder. That's what the existence of a difficulty toggle is for in the first place. People can get into Metal Gear games because there's a difficulty toggle for example. Battle Tree is a postgame option. It doesn't give you any freedom to make the ingame story more challenging.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
A lot of the demons are very muscular. Some more than the others.

But why do Mara HAVE to look like that?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So someone claims he'll post a playable Piranha video.
Edit: False alarm

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
A lot of the demons are very muscular. Some more than the others.

But why do Mara HAVE to look like that?
Go ahead and look up the other penis demons. Go on, I dare ye.

Time to push my characters for smash 6 I guess.
If there's even a Smash 6 7 to begin with, and if it even has an all-star cast at that, lmao.

;_;

when you put it like that this sounds more dire than box theory
What I've learned in this Smash cycle:
-Everything a Dev says is 100% sincere and in no way masked behind wordplay or NDA
-"Don't expect much" and "Our team is shrinking"

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What I've learned in this Smash cycle:
-Everything a Dev says is 100% sincere and in no way masked behind wordplay or NDA
-"Don't expect much" and "Our team is shrinking"
clearly this means the team is expanding faster than donkey kong and they've got 15 more fighters packs in the work for a grand total of 155 fighters

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
Even so, just because a game is more accessible, it doesn't mean it can't be harder. That's what the existence of a difficulty toggle is for in the first place. People can get into Metal Gear games because there's a difficulty toggle for example. Battle Tree is a postgame option. It doesn't give you any freedom to make the ingame story more challenging.
Sure, it could have a difficulty toggle. I'm not against that. Sorry, I was perhaps skimming too much, I didn't realize we were strictly talking about making the game's story harder, that's why I brought up the Battle Tree.

I play Pokemon pretty casually (despite the fact I have more knowledge than a typical casual player of the series). I'm pretty happy with the story for what it is, and it providing me the opportunity to run through with a bunch of different teams. It's easy going, a fun chill game with designs and characters I like. I enjoy the mechanics and combat, and I rarely grind so I still have to strategize. Trying out a bunch of Pokemon create a nice amount of replay value for me, so it's just something I go back to a lot. So I'm not depending on such a toggle for difficulty since I'm happy with how things are, but I wouldn't be against it existing.

To sum it up:
-DLC post Fighter's Pass is all but confirmed to be dead
-No Persona 5 soundtrack vocals
Was the wording really that strict on the cutting back on the team and funds (specially since it's still early translations)? I mean, it's entirely possible, maybe even likely, we'll get only 6 fighters as DLC, but the team scaling down makes sense, 6 or 6+ DLC characters. The work load went from "Advertising, engine tuning, quality control, business dealings, asset creation, 100+ stages, 70+ characters to create/edit" to "patching, weekly spirit battles, 6 stages, 6 fighters." I'm all for tempering expectations, and expecting only 6 is the healthy way to look at it, but I don't know if "All but confirmed dead" is exactly fair : p

No reason Nintendo wouldn't be able to put people back on the team or extend it too if they choose. Success of the pass and game going forward will determine that (though it's Smash, like Mario Kart, it'll probably be able to stand on its own feet just fine).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So someone claims he'll post a playable Piranha video.
What is he even trying to prove?
Piranha Plant is already known to the public, and we already know it's basic moveset...
What is he gonna gain out of it?
What fake info is he claiming to have?

Last edited:

NessIsAChad

Banned via Warnings
I mean they're also not wrong.
Sm4sh's reactions to K. Rool and Ridley not making it, Waluigi, Ashley, Shadow, Geno, Isaac, etc this time, When ROB was announced as the last fighter in Brawl...Corrin...

I remember in Sm4sh when people somehow convinced one another that the stork from Yoshi's Island was a real possible candidate to the point where it was considered reasonable to have Stork on an expected roster.

The genuine **** is wrong with us?
i was lurking when the grinch leak happened and some of y’all thought Gardevoir was in the clouds. I’ve seen people say the words “Dante has too much evidence to not happen”

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
clearly this means the team is expanding faster than donkey kong and they've got 15 more fighters packs in the work for a grand total of 155 fighters
Careful, Panda. Someone might read into your comment and start calling this the second coming of Jesus Grinch.

Was the wording really that strict on the cutting back on the team and funds (specially since it's still early translations)? I mean, it's entirely possible, maybe even likely, we'll get only 6 fighters as DLC, but the team scaling down makes sense, 6 or 6+ DLC characters. The work load went from "Advertising, engine tuning, quality control, business dealings, asset creation, 100+ stages, 70+ characters to create/edit" to "patching, weekly spirit battles, 6 stages, 6 fighters." I'm all for tempering expectations, and expecting only 6 is the healthy way to look at it, but I don't know if "All but confirmed dead" is exactly fair : p

No reason Nintendo wouldn't be able to put people back on the team or extend it too if they choose. Success of the pass and game going forward will determine that (though it's Smash, like Mario Kart, it'll probably be able to stand on its own feet just fine).
Let's just say that I'm a bit jaded, though I am no less excited for the Fighter's Pass. Let's just wait and see what the current one contains in the mean time. Until Wave 2 is officially confirmed in 2020 at the earliest, I think Smash Ultimate (and the franchise as a whole) is pretty much done here. Smash 7 may as well not even exist as it has way too much to live up to.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Careful, Panda. Someone might read into your comment and start calling this the second coming of Jesus Grinch.

Let's just say that I'm a bit jaded, though I am no less excited for the Fighter's Pass. Let's just wait and see what the current one contains in the mean time. Until Wave 2 is officially confirmed in 2020 at the earliest, I think Smash Ultimate (and the franchise as a whole) is pretty much done here. Smash 7 may as well not even exist as it has way too much to live up to.
You sure love Tv Tropes, do you?

Untouch

Smash Master
Oh no they're expanding too quickly, we can't control this.
Soon enough everyone will work for Sora LTD.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What’s some of the best Persona 5 songs anyways?

I think this due to Smash

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What’s some of the best Persona 5 songs anyways?

I think this due to Smash
state of instrumentals/vocals in the game notwithstanding, this absolute banger is the only one we can say pretty confidently is in the game right now (given it's Joker's trailer theme, so they presumably have the rights to it)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's the difference: You love us and you know it.
View attachment 184526

You don't even know...
Hell no I just point and laugh at people who say the dumbest **** like "Paper Mario 1000 year door is more expensive on ebay than Colour Splash therefore it's the better game solely based on that factor. Checkmate you gay-grudge holding liberals"

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
For me, "the worst" would be 5 lackluster characters. I'd rather only have 1 wave of characters that I believe will be implemented well! Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think we need any more characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom