• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We should definitely stop using the word deserve as any sort of guideline for characters.
I use deserve lightly.

Iconic characters deserve to be looked at for Smash Brothers. I consider these characters like Toad, Tails, Dixie, Chun Li, Lara Croft, Sora, etc. just to name a few. They are worldwide recognize characters with hit franchises or appearances in hit franchises or iconic roles in gaming.

Characters with huge fan demand? Don't necessarily deserve it. They're just nice to have.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
This. This post right here. There are people who love Waluigi and want to see him in, enough of this "he's a meme" and "he's a side character". E3 drama is long behind us, Waluigi fans shouldn't be oppressed anymore.
Yeah, I mean Ashley fans have so far been obliterated by the Smash Community because of both the minority that became salty after the August Direct (Also that one twitter user as well), as well as the ridiculous "Lel u pedo lel" that's been spreaded over 4chan, and GameFAQS (God I hate that board) as well as maybe a few others to some degree, even though people support Ashley for being popular, as well as being a unique archetype that's not been in Smash before.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if some do want Waluigi for memes, I've still yet to see why that's a bad thing.

I personally want him for both, and I've wanted him in since I was a small lad back in the Brawl days and didn't even know what a meme was.

The only character who deserved to get in was Mario.
Noi you gotta calm down these hot takes are too spicy.

D

Deleted member

Hi fellows!!! How're ya doi--

"D E S E R V E"

ANNND goodbye!!!
No, stick around! If things follow their usual pattern, we haven't even gotten to the best part yet!

No one's brought up the "Pyra's clothes" topic. :troll:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
This is maybe mentioned before, but I'm kind of surprised that Omni doesn't consider (Or maybe realized) the fact that Goku is NOT a video game character unlike Cloud, Bayonetta, and Joker.

Chrono.

This is maybe mentioned before, but I'm kind of surprised that Omni doesn't consider (Or maybe realized) the fact that Goku is NOT a video game character unlike Cloud, Bayonetta, and Joker.
A lot of them realize it.

They just think he's getting in anyway cause they're in that "LITERALLY ANYONE CAN GET IN" phase.
If he gets in, we should start calling the game Super Sega Bros
This is SEGA's plan.

Overthrow the Smash Brothers, then Nintendo, then the world.

Dreamcast Never Ends

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
If he gets in, we should start calling the game Super Sega Bros
"Oh you got those three Konami reps on in your hands, well let me tell you this
IMAGINE NOT HAVING 3 UNIQUE CHARACTERS FROM THE SAME 3RD PARTY COMPANY"
-This post is brought to you by the Sega Gang.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I think Goku should be the exception that prooves the rule. There are definitely characters I want way more than him, but I cannot deny how hype inducing his reveal and inclusion would be.

D

Deleted member

There's nothing wrong with people saying that Sora is more "deserving" than Banjo to be in. Why wouldn't he be more "deserving" than Banjo? Tons of people love Sora and his series has been going ever since it started, meanwhile, Banjo has been dead in the water since the N64. If anything Sora really does seem more deserving than Banjo imo and having that opinion shouldn't be a "bad timeline".
Tons of people love Banjo too, if the clamoring for a new game, requests for his inclusion in Smash, & the groundbreaking success of the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter are anything to go by.
The Banjo franchise may be dead right now, but the fact that it's left such an impact on so many people is telling.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

A lot of them realize it.

They just think he's getting in anyway cause they're in that "LITERALLY ANYONE CAN GET IN" phase.
Nearly anyone can TBH, the only thing is that they have to be from a video game.

I think that's actually the only rule Sakurai's ever confirmed, lol. Not even the "Has to be on a Nintendo console" thing is technically needed, he just does it out of courtesy and convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The fact that we still live in a timeline where some people say for example, Sora is more deserving than Banjo, is sad.
But he is more deserving. Kingdom Hearts is huge and very popular. Banjo-Kazooie's main claim to fame was having two solid games two decades ago, with the first one being the tenth best-selling game on an old console. It didn't even reinvent the 3D platformer genre like Super Mario 64 did. They had strong ties to Nintendo, but as we just saw with Joker's inclusion, having a major connection to Nintendo doesn't really matter much anymore and doesn't make a character more "qualified" to be playable. Meanwhile, Kingdom Hearts is a massive crossover franchise featuring Square Enix and freaking DISNEY characters. It was something totally unheard of at the time of the first game's release. Not to mention the series is still very relevant and going strong today, getting a new mainline installment next month. The most recent trailer for KHIII was Number 1 on Trending on Youtube for a day. It is absolutely huge. Yes. Banjo-Kazooie USED to be big back in the day, but we're not living in the Stone Age anymore. Many people nowadays don't even know who Banjo is. If he gets in along with his feathered partner, great! He definitely isn't more deserving than Sora though.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
When you say a character deserves to be in Smash it really makes you sound dumb honestly. Unless it’s characters like Mario or Pikachu.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think Goku should be the exception that prooves the rule. There are definitely characters I want way more than him, but I cannot deny how hype inducing his reveal and inclusion would be.
I can see where you coming from, but in my opinion, having more characters like Goku would make the series feel more like a basic Crossover fighting game, which kind of ruins the spirit of what Smash is (Yes, I know about Cloud and Joker, but at least one has a decent relation to Nintendo by Sega, and the other has his series be on Nintendo consoles throughout the years).

Chrono.

"Oh you got those three Konami reps on in your hands, well let me tell you this
IMAGINE NOT HAVING 3 UNIQUE CHARACTERS FROM THE SAME 3RD PARTY COMPANY"
-This post is brought to you by the Sega Gang.
Imagine being the developers of the game and still having only one playable character.

This post was made by Namco gang.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm just happy that 9-Volt and 18-Volt will at least have some form of memorability in Smash for being hard as **** Spirits. All publicity is good publicity.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think [insert name] is more deserving then [insert 2nd name] because [reasons].

Given you can fill those spaces with most anything and you have kind of the issue with the entire thing.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Replace every Toad in that statement with Piranha Plant.
I could say the exact same thing about it being a background stage element and not even Petey Piranha should be allowed in.
Piranha Plant was a far more interesting choice and has been an enemy with moveset potential since day one, while Toads are just walking broken records. I would go so far as to say putting a Toad in before Waluigi would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Yeah, I mean Ashley fans have so far been obliterated by the Smash Community because of both the minority that became salty after the August Direct (Also that one twitter user as well), as well as the ridiculous "Lel u pedo lel" that's been spreaded over 4chan, and GameFAQS (God I hate that board) as well as maybe a few others to some degree, even though people support Ashley for being popular, as well as being a unique archetype that's not been in Smash before.
And you have us Shadow fans constantly getting hated on with "edgy black Sonic" memes along with having to compete with Tails fans (though most if not all on this website are nice) and then having Plant rubbed into our faces after the Direct.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I can see where you coming from, but in my opinion, having more characters like Goku would make the series feel more like a basic Crossover fighting game, which kind of ruins the spirit of what Smash is (Yes, I know about Cloud and Joker, but at least one has a decent relation to Nintendo by Sega, and the other has his series be on Nintendo consoles throughout the years).
I don’t think they should add any other anime characters. Literally just him. It’s such a big and long-standing idea in the community that ifvtge opportunity came up I don’t think it should be passed up. Just this one guy and him alone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
>Goku talk again.

Friends this is the exact reason why a Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars game should happen. It'd finally shut those people up who wants Goku in Smash and be the closest thing to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But he is more deserving. Kingdom Hearts is huge and very popular. Banjo-Kazooie's main claim to fame was having two solid games two decades ago, with the first one being the tenth best-selling game on an old console. It didn't even reinvent the 3D platformer genre like Super Mario 64 did. Meanwhile, Kingdom Hearts is a massive crossover franchise featuring Square Enix and freaking DISNEY characters. It was something totally unheard of at the time of the first game's release. Not to mention the series is still very relevant and going strong today, getting a new mainline installment next month. The most recent trailer for KHIII was Number 1 on Trending on Youtube for a day. It is absolutely huge. Yes. Banjo-Kazooie USED to be big back in the day, but we're not living in the Stone Age anymore. Many people nowadays don't even know who Banjo is. If he gets in along with his feathered partner, great! He definitely isn't more deserving than Sora though.
Okay.

Take this post, and apply that to a real good chunk of the current roster. And if we're talking about newcomers especially, apply that to King K. Rool and Simon/Richter Belmont.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm away at the moment, but I really gotta get this off my chest. I've never been so disappointed and apathetic to be a Smash Bros. fan, after seeing the recent reactions to the new patch notes and I ****ing knew that it would shift from one thing to another.

I expected Nintendo to give out 50/50 patch notes, and I was more surprised to hear about them working on the online situation. I'm glad to hear that and really only care about that. But seeing that the CPUs got weakened and now everybody shifting from complaining about online to literally patch notes itself makes me really disappointed. Not on Nintendo, but on the players.

Bless ****ing Mew2King for being the only top Smash player with an open mind. If we all had his philosophy, maybe we could've shown Nintendo what to fix, but just like I've said, the vocal people will always overpower where the real problems lie on.

And that ain't just it, either. When did hating and wishing characters like Banjo-Kazooie and Geno never get into Smash become the norm, cool thing? Do y'all really wanna end up like the Ashley guy? The fact that we still live in a timeline where some people say for example, Sora is more deserving than Banjo, is sad.

The game literally just came out for almost a week, yet it seems like the community can't handle it for that long, either. Upset and disappointed.
You know what, I'm tired of comments like this.

Stop defending this garbage.
Stop blaming the fans for the flaws of the game and the stupid philosophy of the game balance.
Stop pretending like awful patch notes are fine in a world where every other game company has already had them down pat.
Stop treating Nintendo and Sakurai like they're some helpless babes being picked on by a big mean bully.
Stop saying that the overwhelming vocal outcry for positive change directly somehow caused a negative outcome.
Stop acting like criticism is an attack on both Sakurai, his game, and his company.
Stop giving a free pass to this type of garbage that would be laughed and ridiculed by any other company.
Stop pretending that the way Nintendo and Sakurai have handled online, online that we currently have to pay for, is in any way acceptable.
Stop treating like liking or disliking a character is the direct cause of someone wanting to be cool.
Stop using false equivalency to compare all the fans to the worst in the community.
Stop generalizing everyone into this stereotype wherein a very specific subset of people are exempt.
Stop saying that people's personal opinion on what is and isn't deserving is somehow sad.
Stop this passive-aggressive complaining shaming this nebulous "smash community" that doesn't contribute to anything but to shame people's opinions.
Stop saying that there's some sort of time-limit on when people should be able to criticize the flaws in a game.

Stop.
Just stop.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Guys... I'm going to be blunt with you here...

You're never going to convince people that one character is more deserving to be in Smash than another.

I do not care how likely you think they are or if they're your most wanted character, everyone has their own opinions on who they want/think will be in.

You're not going to change people's opinion regardless of how good of a case you think you make.

D

Deleted member

You know what, I'm tired of comments like this.

Stop defending this garbage.
Stop blaming the fans for the flaws of the game and the stupid philosophy of the game balance.
Stop pretending like awful patch notes are fine in a world where every other game company has already had them down pat.
Stop treating Nintendo and Sakurai like they're some helpless babes being picked on by a big mean bully.
Stop saying that the overwhelming vocal outcry for positive change directly somehow caused a negative outcome.
Stop acting like criticism is an attack on both Sakurai, his game, and his company.
Stop giving a free pass to this type of garbage that would be laughed and ridiculed by any other company.
Stop pretending that the way Nintendo and Sakurai have handled online, online that we currently have to pay for, is in any way acceptable.
Stop treating like liking or disliking a character is the direct cause of someone wanting to be cool.
Stop using false equivalency to compare all the fans to the worst in the community.
Stop generalizing everyone into this stereotype wherein a very specific subset of people are exempt.
Stop saying that people's personal opinion on what is and isn't deserving is somehow sad.
Stop this passive-aggressive complaining shaming this nebulous "smash community" that doesn't contribute to anything but to shame people's opinions.
Stop saying that there's some sort of time-limit on when people should be able to criticize the flaws in a game.

Stop.
Just stop.
While I want Nintendo to do as well with this game as they do with Splatoon (and heck, even Mario Tennis gets proper patch notes) he has the right to his opinion.

If he thinks it's fine, he has the right to think that. No need to rudely tell him to stop.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord

You're never going to convince people that one character is more deserving to be in Smash than another.

I do not care how likely you think they are or if they're your most wanted character, everyone has their own opinions on who they want/think will be in.

You're not going to change people's opinion regardless of how good of a case you think you make.
SmashFAQS: "MY EVIDENCE SAYS OTHERWISE, (*Insert request here*) SCUM!"

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Okay.

Take this post, and apply that to a real good chunk of the current roster. And if we're talking about newcomers especially, apply that to King K. Rool and Simon/Richter Belmont.
K. Rool is a first party character and Castlevania is far more iconic and well-known than Banjo's series. It even has that show on Netflix now.
I don't care if he deserves it or not. I really want Banjo and Kazooie and would flip my lid if they made it in.
Don't get me wrong. Banjo-Kazooie still have plenty of qualities that make them a good fit for Smash and I wouldn't be opposed to them getting in. I just think they're kind of overrated and was trying to explain why other characters like Sora aren't less worthy simply because they don't have strong ties to Nintendo or used to. Then again, I am really biased because Sora is my number one most wanted newcomer now. lol

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

That's because "deserving" is the MOST subjective thing. I think Banjo deserves it but look around at all the people who think Steve deserves it.

LetterO

Smash Lord
On the bright side, Nintendo did fix online. I've consistently been able to find matches to my or similar to my preferred rules. I haven't experienced lag at all, either. This is great.

D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna say this to those of us complaining about the Online:

Knowing how it was going to work, and how Nintendo's online has worked in the past...

Did you still buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom