• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I wish everyone could be excited about this like you.

"Everything isn't unlocked from the beginning so the game is bad! It's so embarrassing for Nintendo to make me unlock all of the fighters! They even expect me to play through Spirits before challenging the final boss!! How stupid is that!?"
Some of the complaints I've been seeing for this game are really weird. Especially about Spirits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking about Joker, his game was released in 2016, not 2014. Doesn't sound like much but that's the difference between the WiiU doldrums and the Switch hype.

It had to be around the time all the early adopters were jumping on board the Switch dev train.

Untouch

Smash Master
Thinking about Joker, his game was released in 2016, not 2014. Doesn't sound like much but that's the difference between the WiiU doldrums and the Switch hype.

It had to be around the time all the early adopters were jumping on board the Switch dev train.
I think the 2016 timespan is going to be really important when it comes to DLC, a lot of the DLC characters may be from companies that were early supporters of the Switch.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wish everyone could be excited about this like you.

"Everything isn't unlocked from the beginning so the game is bad! It's so embarrassing for Nintendo to make me unlock all of the fighters! They even expect me to play through Spirits before challenging the final boss!! How stupid is that!?"
The worst one I've heard is "I shouldn't have to unlock everyone when I paid for the game". Most other companies would have bastardized Ultimate in an attempt to monetize it as much as possible, having to spend the first two days or so unlocking a roster of this size is a fantastic situation given how the industry is today.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash 4: "Ugh why are there so few unlockable characters?"
Smash Ultimate: "Ugh why are there so many unlockable characters?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think the 2016 timespan is going to be really important when it comes to DLC, a lot of the DLC characters may be from companies that were early supporters of the Switch.
So if that's the case, I'd assume that these characters have a fair shot

Steve or other Microsoft rep (Though I'm betting on Steve)- Minecraft was announced during the Switch presentation
Square Rep - Octopath Traveler was announced during the Switch presentation
Komani Rep- Bomberman R was announced during the Switch Presentation
Capcom Rep - Ultra Street Fighter 2 being announced during the Switch presentation

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The only serious complaint I've seen, and surprisingly, ive experienced myslef, is actually being hard to track your fighter outside of 1v1. Ive been playing WOL on hard ( i do kidnda regret it a little now) and ive lost a couple of battles only because after some interaction i had 0 idea were i was.

Edit: and im talking about a pretty big TV.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if that's the case, I'd assume that these characters have a fair shot

Steve or other Microsoft rep (Though I'm betting on Steve)- Minecraft was announced during the Switch presentation
Square Rep - Octopath Traveler was announced during the Switch presentation
Komani Rep- Bomberman R was announced during the Switch Presentation
Capcom Rep - That Street Fighter 2 port being announced during the Switch presentation
Well Bomberman, Snake and two Belmonts are already in the game so what other Konami series are there?

I don't think Pyramid Head is Smash material but hey, I've been wrong several times this cycle.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Obviously with Joker in, Bonk is a lock.

Bonk’s Adventure X Persona confirmed.

Q Bert too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Smash 4: "Ugh why are there so few unlockable characters?"
Smash Ultimate: "Ugh why are there so many unlockable characters?"
It's almost like those are two separate groups of people complaining!

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
The only people that seem to hate him are either the Nintendo purists, or the people who think he's too niche and stole a slot from more deserving characters

Other than those people, I've been seeing a lot of positive reactions when it comes to Joker
You forgot about people who hate anything anime.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The only serious complaint I've seen, and surprisingly, ive experienced myslef, is actually being hard to track your fighter outside of 1v1. Ive been playing WOL on hard ( i do kidnda regret it a little now) and ive lost a couple of battles only because after some interaction i had 0 idea were i was.

Edit: and im talking about a pretty big TV.
I've lost track of myself a couple of times, but only for a second or so, once was during an unlock fight, which was pretty embarrassing... XD

The only time I've seriously lost track of where I was was the time I did 8 Player Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams, which I brought on myself. I actually managed to win that fight, somehow.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All aboard the Master Higgins hype train!
Well GRAND DAD is out thanks to originating from Memes/The Flintsones so unless we get Data East's Joe and Mac, he's out best chance for caveman representation.

Though you mentioned Octopath Traveller when talking Square Enix. Which of the 8 characters would be chosen if they went for that?

I'm betting either Olbric or Primrose as they were the first ones shown.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sorry about your fave, but Wii Fit Trainer has the best classic mode ending picture, it's not a contest:

I just got the "Have the Game powered on for 20 Hours" achievement.

The image is... er... similar. Let's say that. :laugh:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Humor me please, Persona 5 players.

I'm really liking the categories of Spirits in this game, specifically which Spirit is in which class and why they are. Super Sonic is a Legend Spirit, and it's no secret why he is, but then there's Legends Spirits like The Boss that really hits nicely and warmly as to why she is a Legend too.

So, we know Spirits are brought in in patches. What Persona 5 (and beyond) characters would be Spirits? Who would be a Legend Spirit and why?

Last edited:

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Finally unlocked all chars, i was forced to play handheld for a while... i don't like that AT ALL and the challengers can be ridiculously hard when playing like that. Happy to have it done though.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I don't think Pyramid Head is Smash m
I have to admit that Silent Hill representation would friggin obliterate me. I'm certainly not expecting it. and even before teh reveal i though that Joker was waaay more likely than anything Silenthill, so Joker haven't changed that notion for me.

But geeez... Pyramid head would be a mixed bag though... Pyramid head was one of Silent Hill 2 High notes, by a lot... but making it a "Silent hill" mascot kinda... cheapens him IMO. and most of his "boogeyman" apparances haven't been that great.

But who i'm kidding, i would ****ing melt over PH on Smash XD.

If we got someone as Harry Mason or Heather and the monster of silent hill got repped trhough a moveset, that would be amazing XD. Pyramid Head would still be an amazing boos fight if done scary XD

I've lost track of myself a couple of times, but only for a second or so, once was during an unlock fight, which was pretty embarrassing... XD

The only time I've seriously lost track of where I was was the time I did 8 Player Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams, which I brought on myself. I actually managed to win that fight, somehow.
I wonder oif items also play a huge role on the pure visual chaos that led me to get utterly lost. I mostly thinking about a couple of 3, 4 or 5 persona matches with tons of items DX.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well GRAND DAD is out thanks to originating from Memes/The Flintsones so unless we get Data East's Joe and Mac, he's out best chance for caveman representation.

Though you mentioned Octopath Traveller when talking Square Enix. Which of the 8 characters would be chosen if they went for that?

I'm betting either Olbric or Primrose as they were the first ones shown.
I would probably say Primrose... but maybe she's a bit too much for an E10+ game like Smash...

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm at 33 out of 74 characters. I like the unlocking process and the "not knowing who's next". Two of my favorites, Ice Climbers and Wii Fit Trainer are already unlocked. I've unlocked three newcomers by now: Inkling, King K. Rool and Simon. King K. Rool is really fun to play with, and it's like the first heavyweight I'm clicking with. Inkling is (like I expected) a lot of fun but need some training. I played one match with Simon before I left Smash; that range! It's amazing. I love this game.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm really liking the categories of Spirits in this game, specifically which Spirit is in which class and why they are. Super Sonic is a Legend Spirit, and it's no secret why he is, but then there's Legends Spirits like The Boss that really hits nicely and warmly as to why she is a Legend too.

So, we know Spirits are brought in in patches. What Persona 5 (and beyond) characters would be Spirits? Who would be a Legend Spirit and why?
I think final boss might be one. Also any iconic, powerful Persona like Lucifer, Surt, Mother Harlot, Odin, Kohryu, Metatron or Alice. And Joker's Ultimate *hehe* Persona.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Id say Akechi would be a spirit andmaybe he would be Legend

i have a few ideas for legends but those ideas are 100% spoilers

osby

Smash Obsessed

I just got the "Have the Game powered on for 20 Hours" achievement.

The image is... er... similar. Let's say that. :laugh:
I know that feeling but mostly from trying to keep up with the discussions here in the busy hours.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Bah... Who am I kidding? I really want to make a ****post, but I'm too giddy over this game and the announcement from previously. Speaking of which, I'll be covering just that. Onto the good stuff before closing off with my own final thoughts! Of what, you may ask? Joker of course!

First, a HUGE congratulations to the Phandom! It must feel great getting your Most-Wanted in the roster. I can't even say, "Thank goodness it isn't Steve!" because that would be like comparing Joker to trash [smug, smug]
(I am kidding @Luigi The President , have mercy on my 200 IQ soul).
@Robertman2
@Xeno610
@Tyrant Tenebris
@Schnee117
@Strider_Bond00J
NintenZ NintenZ
@FamicomDisk
@Sigran101
@amageish
@CrusherMania1592
@kirbsmash
Freduardo Freduardo
@tehponycorn
@「Hinata」

Seriously though, color me excited. I look forward to how they implement a Persona character in a Smash environment now, and three of my closest friends love the Persona franchise so they'll be picking up Joker, which just makes the Fighter's Pack that much more worth it as far as selections go.

Next is a retrospective into comments I already responded to. I feel like it's still worth bringing you two up. I will also include an unrelated third-party (no pun intended) at the end.

I still think they're visually similar, but as I've said in my original response, I would be A-OK with whichever Persona rep we'd get. Lo and behold, we got Joker. I was all smiles that night.

Tagging you here is kinda weird. You're the Demi-Fiend guy here basically, and we did get a Shin Megami Tensei rep in the end, but I haven't lurked around to see what your thoughts were. Still, I should point out how our conversation over a Persona character ended up being Hilarious in Hindsight. I think Joker's inclusion is a sign of what's to come, and certain characters I'm thinking of in my head just got their chances flying to the skies (but maybe Sakurai wants his choices to shoot for the moon, so the sky might not be enough, eh?).

That's great to hear! Ever since Joker got confirmed, there's no point in supporting Demi-Fiend anymore, at least in terms of what we can deem a candidate for the Fighter's Pass. Therefore, my new list of Most-Wanted characters in order are KOS-MOS, Dante, Arturia, Reimu, and 2B. Let's hope for the best, NineS!

And now, for my closing thoughts... Wow, it's insane to think we finally got a Shin Megami Tensei rep in Super Smash Bros., and from the Persona series no less! As far as RPGs go, we've got almost everything in the Fantasy Kitchen Sink, varying genres included: Pokemon, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, and now Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. I'm still at a loss for words.

This whole thing becomes a funny coincidence because we have Inklings playable, and the default female has been compared to Futaba and vice versa. Something about Joker being in the same game as her makes this hilarious. There's also another factor to consider for Joker's inclusion: We finally got ourselves the true Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Ha!
Thank you so much, this has been an absolute dream come true for me and the others.

It really warms my heart to see that this is resulting in Persona reaching a new audience.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not telling you what your opinion should be. But if you think which consoles a character appeared is more important than them, you might want to be disappointed more in future and it's not anyone's fault but yourself.
Oh believe me, my expectations are on a all time low.

I am EXCITED about the fact Isaac is a playable Mii Fighter costume. Is this not the biggest proof in the world?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I really want to see Crow as an Echo Fighter of Joker, I think that’d be really cool

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really want to see Crow as an Echo Fighter of Joker, I think that’d be really cool
Would that even work? I guess he can jump around like Joker, but you can't switch a dagger with a light saber. Plus, if Joker physically uses Arsene in his moves, it would be even harder.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Would that even work? I guess he can jump around like Joker, but you can't switch a dagger with a light saber. Plus, if Joker physically uses Arsene in his moves, it would be even harder.
They could scale down the saber someone suggested, it would also depend on what Personas Joker uses.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The general Smash fandom has an obsession with brand loyalty. But Nintendo doesn't care about console wars, or whether a company is "loyal" to them. They are not afraid of advertising for a game that's only on the other systems.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Street Fighter, Castlevania, and now Shin Megami all began on Nintendo, sure, they may have history with Nintendo, in the general sense, but for basically the last two decades they've all avoided publishing any of their major games on a Nintendo console. The third parties go where the market goes, and Nintendo hasn't been the leading console manufacturer since the SNES.

Nintendo is keenly aware that Playstation and Xbox get all the big third party games. But Smash offers Nintendo something Sony and Microsoft can only dream of: an opportunity to capitalize on the success of their competition.

Look at how that Joker trailer was structured. The fact that it's a Smash trailer is the twist. Nintendo is not using Smash to advertise a game on a competitor's console. They're using a game on a competitor's console to advertise Smash.
Err maybe that last paragraph is indeed the most healthy way to look at things. Possibly the smartest way as well. Good job, giving me perspective and all. I guess I should just rather be upset that Nintendo isn't marketable on their own anymore. Otherwise Smash would've stayed with it's Nintendo theme.

Thanks for the perspective. Frankly, I never even saw it this way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh believe me, my expectations are on a all time low.

I am EXCITED about the fact Isaac is a playable Mii Fighter costume. Is this not the biggest proof in the world?
I was also excited about that and I still got Joker. I don't get your point, you can be fan of more than more company's work.

...well, I mean, you aren't, but still

Err maybe that last paragraph is indeed the most healthy way to look at things. Possibly the smartest way as well. Good job, giving me perspective and all. I guess I should just rather be upset that Nintendo isn't marketable on their own anymore. Otherwise Smash would've stayed with it's Nintendo theme.

Thanks for the perspective. Frankly, I never even saw it this way.
By anymore, you mean since Brawl? Anyway, Smash has Pikachu and Mario, it's marketable either way, but there's no harm in pulling different demographics to the game.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, some FSs just look plain weird in slow motion. Doc's arms...and Yoshi's is a bit laughable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was also excited about that and I still got Joker. I don't get your point, you can be fan of more than more company's work.

...well, I mean, you aren't, but still
To be honest, I just like Nintendo's many franchises. I am definitely NOT in agreement with all their choices. I am way more a Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem fan than I am a Nintendo fan. I still occasionally think about getting a XBox One to get some chance to play Rare games.

By anymore, you mean since Brawl? Anyway, Smash has Pikachu and Mario, it's marketable either way, but there's no harm in pulling different demographics to the game.
Brawl was quite tame honestly. Most of the newcomers where genuinely wanted and expanded the franchises which BUILD Smash up. Smash 4's newcomer selection was a big slap in the face compared to it, even if it had a few fan favorites who I came to enjoy later. Ultimate is a mixed bag, can't really tell untill all the DLC is one. But I was mostly speaking about Smash 4, and well, Ultimate as well now that Joker is a thing. It's just more leaning towards Smash 4's direction, where I hoped it would've gone more to Brawl's direction you see...

I just like what I like. I liked how Smash Bros. introduced me to games which where from franchises I didn't know about, but they at least where easily accesible and best of all; don't require me to spend a fortune on anoher game system for.

I didn't even own a Wii U because of financial reasons. I probably also won't buy the DLC because of financial reasons. I got Smash 3DS, also never bothered buying characters as Ryu, Bayonetta and Cloud. Why? I didn't care about them.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Likely predictions:
If not all of these, then almost certainly the first five, going by the voices in the trailer. I imagine those four party members will also feature in an All-Out Attack final smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, I just like Nintendo's many franchises. I am definitely NOT in agreement with all their choices. I am way more a Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem fan than I am a Nintendo fan. I still occasionally think about getting a XBox One to get some chance to play Rare games.

Brawl was quite tame honestly. Most of the newcomers where genuinely wanted and expanded the franchises which BUILD Smash up. Smash 4's newcomer selection was a big slap in the face compared to it, even if it had a few fan favorites who I came to enjoy later. Ultimate is a mixed bag, can't really tell untill all the DLC is one. But I was mostly speaking about Smash 4, and well, Ultimate as well now that Joker is a thing. It's just more leaning towards Smash 4's direction, where I hoped it would've gone more to Brawl's direction you see...

I just like what I like. I liked how Smash Bros. introduced me to games which where from franchises I didn't know about, but they at least where easily accesible and best of all; don't require me to spend a fortune on anoher game system for.

I didn't even own a Wii U because of financial reasons. I probably also won't buy the DLC because of financial reasons. I got Smash 3DS, also never bothered buying characters as Ryu, Bayonetta and Cloud. Why? I didn't care about them.
"Slap in the face"

...why I'm not surprised?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The general Smash fandom has an obsession with brand loyalty. But Nintendo doesn't care about console wars, or whether a company is "loyal" to them. They are not afraid of advertising for a game that's only on the other systems.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Street Fighter, Castlevania, and now Shin Megami all began on Nintendo, sure, they may have history with Nintendo, in the general sense, but for basically the last two decades they've all avoided publishing any of their major games on a Nintendo console. The third parties go where the market goes, and Nintendo hasn't been the leading console manufacturer since the SNES.

Nintendo is keenly aware that Playstation and Xbox get all the big third party games. But Smash offers Nintendo something Sony and Microsoft can only dream of: an opportunity to capitalize on the success of their competition.

Look at how that Joker trailer was structured. The fact that it's a Smash trailer is the twist. Nintendo is not using Smash to advertise a game on a competitor's console. They're using a game on a competitor's console to advertise Smash.

This.. I also think that Nintendo wants to advertise the game outside of Nintendo fanboys circles. and as ive said before, put characters that appeal to huge fanbases that not necesarily intersect with Smash brothers.

This is probably the main reason why i still think that Steve is very likely, or why I consider Crash Bandicot chances better than Banjo's. Or why something as absurd as DoomSlayer or Diablo (or Tracer) may actually have a chance. honestly the only problem I see with those characters may be Japan Bias. (i don't think that would be a problem with steve and crash at least) But if Nintendo is pulling the shots and they want a broader appeal, , i can see a couple of picks going against Japan bias. Also why i think that Crono's or Sephirot chances aren't 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom