• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm going to ask you to step the **** aside.

Persona 5 is hands down, one of the most well written games of this generation in the PS4 and deserves the high amount of praise it gets. I've played the game 3 times (currently on my third run to try to finish the Platinum trophy but it will take some time) and never got tired of it. The storyline fits the modern day era in a comparison where people aren't doing their job the way they should

If you don't like the game, then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with you
Bruh. They're allowed to not like things.

Maybe that style of game just isn't their cup of tea. The Persona games ARE really good. There will always be people out there that feel differently, on the contrary. And they know they're in the minority most of the time. It doesn't make them wrong. Just different.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I saw DmC on there and was instantly reminded that I'm the only person on the face of the planet who doesn't dislike that game. So.
Honestly of the five currently released DMC titles I would put DmC like right in the middle in terms of overall quality. It was so hard to even talk about the game when it was first released without both sides turning it into another fight for no reason

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm surprised I didn't get feedback for my 10 worsts games, especially the last three entries...
You have an irrational hatred for anime style things regardless of quality .

That good? :p

I understand that you may not like these games but holy **** man, those are the worst you've played ever? Like of all time?
**** even Resident Evil 5 is great for co-op. You need to play more games.

Other M is awful and I wouldn't even put it in the bottom 20 games I've played. Yeesh.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Wow, I actually forgot that we don’t have a Retro newcomer for the first time ever.
It was never a criteria of Sakurai's rosters to begin with. The characters that are associated with it (Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, and Duck Hunt) were not picked for being Retro, rather they're classed under what Sakurai calls "Surprise characters" or those who were added because they stood out from the other newcomers, but made sense in retrospect and added a unique flavor to the roster.

You can see him mentioning the term here with Duck Hunt, and in Ultimate's case, Piranha Plant is what's supposed to be our surprise character this time around.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Actually Sakurai said he doesn't like adding characters for surprise value, but rather just something that works well despite not really being considered

No, which is why you're doing 20 no hit run of Castlevania Chronicles. And it isn't Arrange mode
He said he added WFT because of that precisely. In the plans for smash for, it is mentioned that duck Hunt was the surprise character for that game. He also had mentioned that G&W was added to surprise players with such an unusual char. Adding something unexpected has always been Sakurai´s style. Even in arecent interview, he mentioned how boring smash would be if he only added typical heroes.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
games this generation better written than persona 4:
dragon quest xi
spider man
god of war
hollow knight
the most recent yakuza game
kirby star allies

im not gonna say the game's bad gameplay wise because it isnt, but persona 5 is so much weaker writing wise than persona 4

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't get me wrong, I love playing Persona titles, ESPECIALLY 5.

But P5 is about as well-written as a teenage reality TV show.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Which is easily Piranha Plant. That ****** was off the walls man.
Y'know, I gotta wonder, if there was a quantifiable way to gauge surprise, who would be the most surprising Smash character inclusion?

I feel like it'd be between ICs, Snake, Wii Fit Trainer, Cloud, and Piranha Plant.

One of those five, probably.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He said he added WFT because of that precisely. In the plans for smash for, it is mentioned that duck Hunt was the surprise character for that game. He also had mentioned that G&W was added to surprise players with such an unusual char. Adding something unexpected has always been Sakurai´s style. Even in arecent interview, he mentioned how boring smash would be if he only added typical heroes.
In that very interview he said that the surprise loses it's value so it literally can't just be for the sake of a surprise
games this generation better written than persona 4:
dragon quest xi
spider man
god of war
hollow knight
the most recent yakuza game
kirby star allies

im not gonna say the game's bad gameplay wise because it isnt, but persona 5 is so much weaker writing wise than persona 4
Ok real talk Star Allies Wave 3 has me shook as **** as it changes ****ing everything

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought Dark Samus was our Retro rep. :troll:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't like Persona games. Yet. I haven't really gotten around to playing them even though I intended to. The Highschool setting doesn't really appeal to me in the slightest to be honest. The other stuff does but I'd rather play one of the earlier SMT games if that's what I'm looking for.

Still, I'd like to give them a shot but, honestly, I don't really have time for RPG's anymore...

D

Deleted member

You have an irrational hatred for anime style things regardless of quality .

That good? :p

I understand that you may not like these games but holy **** man, those are the worst you've played ever? Like of all time?
**** even Resident Evil 5 is great for co-op. You need to play more games.

Other M is awful and I wouldn't even put it in the bottom 20 games I've played. Yeesh.
So far yes.

I hate Other M with a damn passion, as do I with the other games on that list. And for those final three, it's not because they have an anime-esque style. It's because they didn't have stories, characters, or gameplay I didn't like.

You want to call me crazy for hating on Fire Emblem and Persona go right ahead. But what you see is what you get, my man.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ok real talk Star Allies Wave 3 has me shook as **** as it changes ****ing everything
Hold on a moment, I haven't seen any of the new information yet.

Do you think you can summarize it or something? Because I am now deeply intrigued.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The biggest issue when discussing bad games is there really only two things to talk about:

1) Games with functionality issues: Broken bugs, bad controls, broken systems etc.

2) Issues based on selective taste and perspective.

The former is extremely straight forwards most of the time, the latter is not. I have a hard time calling many games 'bad' as I tend to focus more on category 1 then category 2 as most issues in Category 2 just get a 'It's not for me' thing.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I love playing Persona titles, ESPECIALLY 5.

But P5 is about as well-written as a teenage reality TV show.
man the fact the game is supposed to star a bunch of teenage misfits when they're all just really normal, privileged kids bothers me. p4 actually has lgbt characters portrayed at all sympathetically and they would have worked way better with this story than the jock guy and the popular girl

oh god i know right, it has me so emotional, kirby has still never let me down

D

Deleted member

Today I Learned I'm supposedly a heratic for calling Persona trash.

Also, Sonic 06. That was pretty bad too.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So far yes.

I hate Other M with a damn passion, as do I with the other games on that list. And for those final three, it's not because they have an anime-esque style. It's because they didn't have stories, characters, or gameplay I didn't like.

You want to call me crazy for hating on Fire Emblem and Persona go right ahead. But what you see is what you get, my man.
I'm not calling you crazy. Opinions are things. I'm just baffled that you consider them that bad when there is so much worse lol.

That said, I believe your original post was a bit of a bait yeah? That's why you fished for a reaction. :p

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm surprised I didn't get feedback for my 10 worsts games, especially the last three entries...
You're completely entitled to your opinion, regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

We can argue back and forth on "why you're right" or "why I'm right"...

But it's easier just to let people have their opinions and move on.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'know, I gotta wonder, if there was a quantifiable way to gauge surprise, who would be the most surprising Smash character inclusion?

I feel like it'd be between ICs, Snake, Wii Fit Trainer, Cloud, and Piranha Plant.

One of those five, probably.
Snake, easily. Snake broke down so many walls. M rated games aren't allowed, boom, Snake. 3rd Parties aren't allowed, boom, Snake. Snake is to much of a Playstation character, boom, Snake. Snake will never happen because it's Snake, boom, Snake.

The 2006 Video Game World imploded on itself and if it wasn't Metal Gear Solid or Smash it wasn't being talked about. The hype was ****ing palpable.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Snake, easily. Snake broke down so many walls. M rated games aren't allowed, boom, Snake. 3rd Parties aren't allowed, boom, Snake. Snake is to much of a Playstation character, boom, Snake. Snake will never happen because it's Snake, boom, Snake.

The 2006 Video Game World imploded on itself and if it wasn't Metal Gear Solid or Smash it wasn't being talked about. The hype was ****ing palpable.
Yeah, I clearly remember that day of the reveal and remember being quite confused at the time because I thought they had quickly moved to another trailer suddenly until the guy directly referenced Smash Bros. After all this was the earlier days of Smash before big flashy individual character trailers were a thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not calling you crazy. Opinions are things. I'm just baffled that you consider them that bad when there is so much worse lol.

That said, I believe your original post was a bit of a bait yeah? That's why you fished for a reaction. :p
I just wanted to know what people thought about my stuff. But oh well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Besides, everybody knows that the real worst game ever is Chibi Robo: Photo Finder.

Like for real. That game is horrendous.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well. Forgive me for sharing what I considered to be bad games. I said that in the post you quoted because I knew the last 3 were going to be controversial among folks here.
Lemme up on that one

1. Superman 64
2. Batman Forever
3. Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt (It got old after awhile)
4. Crash Boom Bang (this comes from a Crash fan)
5. Shaq Fu
6. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
7. The Walking Dead: Survival Instant
8. Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction
9. 50 Cent: Bulletproof (I borrowed from a friend and gave it back after one day)
10. Any CoD games

THAT is bad. Bad enough that I owned most of them and got rid of them as soon as I realized I needed to get them away from me

Fun Fact:
If the Smash Ultimate DLC does not contain a Fire Emblem character, then it will be the first set of Smash Bros. character additions to not have one since Smash 64.
So Chrom doesn't count?

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
So far yes.

You know what? I’m appreciate your honesty on the games you dislike and how you are standing by your opinions even though you know you are in the minority. Though I do like both persona and fire emblem I can understand that it’s not your cup of tea and that ok with me :)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just wanted to know what people thought about my stuff. But oh well.
I'm gonna call bull man. You wanted to spark a bit of controversy, that's why you brought up the last three more then once.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Today I Learned I'm supposedly a heratic for calling Persona trash.

Also, Sonic 06. That was pretty bad too.
Hahaha.
Listen, I understand your hate for the anime aesthetic. It's tripe, it's cliche, it's everywhere.

But I've played a lot of bad games and far worse anime gamrs in my lifetime than Persona.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hahaha.
Listen, I understand your hate for the anime aesthetic. It's tripe, it's cliche, it's everywhere.

But I've played a lot of bad games and far worse anime gamrs in my lifetime than Persona.
I wanna tell him about Arc Rise Fantasia.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Do I need to play Persona 1 to 4 to enjoy Persona 5? Always had a small interest in it.
No you don’t. If you are worry about the story like if you need to play persona 1 to 4 to understand 5. You don’t. Persona 5 have its own story I recommend the game :)

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
In that very interview he said that the surprise loses it's value so it literally can't just be for the sake of a surprise

But the surprise factor is still taken into consideration. The point he is bringing up is that he doesnt pick just for surprise. That doesnt mean, that he doesnt take that into consideration for some of his options. My point still stands. He likes shaking things up by bringing something unexpected. Just so I am clear, I am not saying it is the only factor taken into consideration but some characters were definitely picked partially because of the surprise factor.

Here is a translation of some of the notes for smash for where duck Hunt is called this game surprise character: https://i0.wp.com/www.sourcegaming.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Scan-Translation-3.png

D

Deleted member

Hahaha.

I'm not denying that. There are bound to be worse games out there. I just spoke my mind.
Do I need to play Persona 1 to 4 to enjoy Persona 5? Always had a small interest in it.
Not really. Aside from Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, which is a duology, you don't need to play them in order.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Excuse me, I'd like to introduce you a video game called Sonic the Hedgehog.

Or more commonly known as Sonic 06.
I've beaaten both. 06 is better by a very large margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom