• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, and we have Cloud for Square Enix, but you don't see me saying we don'y need Geno because of that, do you?

Counter: **** No!
Damn you tryna just bust out the ad hominem huh? Didn't know Geno was a cloned super soldier who wields a blade!
I'm talking about their NICHES AS DEMON HUNTERS BEING SIMILAR not who they represent.

D

Deleted member

Phoenix Wright is no different to me from Mega Man and Simon: a character from a 3rd Party franchise that might as well be a Nintendo one. And he's only now going to non-Nintendo platforms other than mobile, but he's still consistently on Nintendo.
Besides that, no one can deny how fun of a character he would be. Just how much wacky stuff he could bring is just too good to pass up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is the introduction to my analysis. Please tell me what you think, or whether you like it.

Everyone is Here – The Impossible Made Possible: A Comprehensive Analysis of the Smash Ultimate Roster
For the previous two Smash Bros. games (Smash 4 and Brawl), we had to wait over six years for the game’s release to happen. For Ultimate, its first newcomer was confirmed only two years after the end of Smash 4’s DLC. Ultimate also ended up being released during the same year as its announcement (compare that to Smash 4 where the game was first announced in 2011, but not shown until 2013, and not released until the end of 2014).

Much of the meta behind Ultimate and Ultimate’s roster is the fact that this game broke up a lot of the conventional norms for what speculators thought was the “norm” for the next game.

Who would have guessed that not only every single character from Smash 4 would return (Melee had been the only other game to bring back every veteran, and that was when there were only 12 veterans), but that every single veteran EVER would return including the likes of Pichu and Young Link?

Who would have guessed that Ridley would have made it in after Sakurai gave him one of the hardest deconfirmations back in November 2014 (where he flat out said Ridley was too big to be made into a fighter)?

Who would have guessed they would have gone back to Chrom after Sakurai more or less said the character was too uninteresting and was even mocked in official Smash material (the Robin/Lucina unveil trailer and the Palutena’s guidance for Robin)?

Who would have guessed that Metroid would have been the first franchise out of Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Star Fox to make it to four playable characters when Ridley had a hard de-confirmation by Sakurai and Dark Samus herself made her last appearance in her own series back in 2007 and had less requests than the fourth possible characters for those other previously mentioned franchises (Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, and Krystal)?

Who would have guessed that not only Castlevania would gain a playable character, but it would have TWO playable characters, and massive selection of content (over 30 songs, an Assist Trophy, an item, and a stage that has a massive selection of cameos by Castlevania bosses)? Most in the speculation community were talking up the likes of Rayman, Shovel Knight, and Shantae over this historic and legendary franchise.

Ultimate has had the least amount of newcomers for ANY Smash Bros. game. (11). Smash 64 had 12 characters added, Melee added 14, Brawl added 18, and Smash 4 added 21 (17 on the base roster, plus another four newcomers through DLC). Yet, among veteran speculators there is for once a sense of satisfaction and not any bitterness about what was NOT included. Why is this?

A large reason for this is due to, in Sakurai’s own words, “the impossible being made possible”.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Funny enough I've heard Geno discussed as being decently likely for a while now.
Actually nothing changed and it's still 33%/33%/33% over three Characters that we don't know who it was exactly (or rather wasn't said public)
One was shut down and two were seriously discussed
Without knowing the end result.

Unless if I missed something-

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's over
Link became a seeb neet who doesnt want to use the Master Sword.
damn Link
What do you guys think of Doomguy, Steve, Dante, Erdrick, and Lloyd as DLC?
I don’t dig it
They shoulda gave Snake a shirtless alt!
Everyone should be shirtless...and I do mean everyone
Can I just talk about how much I love the Ultimate opening? 100% the best one Smash has ever had.

Love you too, can you come be my President? I hate the new one, everyone does. I wish we could have at least kept Dracula.
I can’t decide between Brawl’s and Ultimate’s openings...they both so amazing

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Actually nothing changed and it's still 33%/33%/33% over three Characters that we don't know who it was exactly (or rather wasn't said public)
One was shut down and two were seriously discussed
Without knowing the end result.

Unless if I missed something-
I know. My point is that Geno isn't instantly ruled out as he was for a bit.

D

Deleted member

Damn you tryna just bust out the ad hominem huh? Didn't know Geno was a cloned super soldier who wields a blade!
I'm talking about their NICHES AS DEMON HUNTERS BEING SIMILAR not who they represent.
Alright fine. But even if they have the same niche, Dante would be still be the best Capcom inclusion aside from a Resident Evil character if you ask me. Roast me for waiting him more than Phoniex if you must, I will die on this hill.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I got exactly what I wanted from Phoenix in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I don't think he would translate very well into Smash.

Dante would be cool though. Donte was a lot of fun in Playstation All-stars Longest Name Ever, and I think he could be done even better in Smash.

BUT NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT ****ING LEON KENNEDY. THIS BOI NEEDS TO BE IN SMASH.

I mean c'mon. Resident Evil 2 was on N64 AND Gamecube and Resident Evil 4 was even originally a Gamecube Exclusive. He could even be our first horror game character rep. What's not to love?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The problem with Phoenix is that he was already in Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate 3.
Not sure how you could make him much different from the goofy stuff he does there.

---
Not a problem. Every Capcom character worth their salt was in there. We shouldn't reject another Capcom character because they've been in another fighter.

But I have three different archetypes for Phoenix that stays true to the character, all with a style and a theme that remains consistent. I am sure Sakurai can cook something up with a character that uses magical spiritual stones, your every day lawyer work, and the semantics of ladders and stepladders.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I call everyone who teases george
That there is what we call a quality save. :p
Alright fine. But even if they have the same niche, Dante would be still be the best Capcom inclusion aside from a Resident Evil character if you ask me. Roast me for waiting him more than Phoniex if you must, I will die on this hill.
I'll die with you. I really don't care for Phoenix as a character. His supporting cast is far more interesting. Would much rather have Dante or Leon.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
I would bet anything that Nintendo is not actually picking the next DLC. Based on the fact that Sakurai said he will say if he can make a character out of "their choice" and that he wrote a message in English and at the end saying stop spamming me please. It was such an obvious diversion. Like when a customer complains to you and you tell them it's not your decision its the manager etc.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I got exactly what I wanted from Phoenix in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I don't think he would translate very well into Smash.

Dante would be cool though. Donte was a lot of fun in Playstation All-stars Longest Name Ever, and I think he could be done even better in Smash.

BUT NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT ****ING LEON KENNEDY. THIS BOI NEEDS TO BE IN SMASH.

I mean c'mon. Resident Evil 2 was on N64 AND Gamecube and Resident Evil 4 was even originally a Gamecube Exclusive. He could even be our first horror game character rep. What's not to love?
The fact that Chris Redfield's going to make it in before him because he's the Marth of the franchise.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
As a huge devil may cry fangirl kinda sad people don’t seem interested in Dante :( also Leon would by hyped af too

D

Deleted member

That there is what we call a quality save. :p

I'll die with you. I really don't care for Phoenix as a character. His supporting cast is far more interesting. Would much rather have Dante or Leon.
You know what's funny? We're probably not going get even half of the characters that get brought up in this thread XD.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Tbh, I really wish 3rd Parties were more Nintendo focused, but I mean within their own franchises. Cloud still rubs me the wrong way because if you were a FF fan following it through Nintendo console, Cloud is pretty much a middle finger for keeping your brand loyalty.
This was never THAT serious of a rule though. Obviously, neither Nintendo or Sakurai cares that much about Nintendo ties. As long you are somewhat popular enough, have a gaming legacy they have a good shot at getting in. Even if you chose just Nintendo ties, some be picking the most obscure picks ever. If you just go with Nintendo ties, your limiting who could be great canidates as possible fighters. I'm personally glad that silly rule got broken in Smash 4. So, thank you Cloud!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fact that Chris Redfield's going to make it in before him because he's the Marth of the franchise.
Difference being that Leon is far more popular than Chris. But hell if we do get Chris, Leon Echo, bip bap bam.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
I'm fine with Phoenix, but to be completely honest, I have trouble thinking about how his model would look in Smash.

I think Leon should definitely be the next Capcom rep tho. Probably my most wanted 3rd party rep.

D

Deleted member

The problem with Phoenix is that he was already in Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate 3.
Not sure how you could make him much different from the goofy stuff he does there.

---
Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 was also seven years ago. I'm pretty sure Sakurai could probably make a diverse enough moveset and take notes from UMVC3 with references to the most recent titles after UMVC3 came out in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom