• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why does everyone choose Sylux over all the other memorable Metroid Prime Hunters? Like old whats-his-name, you know his torso becomes a cannon? And bug guy! And, um... who else is even in that game?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does everyone choose Sylux over all the other memorable Metroid Prime Hunters? Like old whats-his-name, you know his torso becomes a cannon? And bug guy! And, um... who else is even in that game?
It's because he theorized to be the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4

He appeared at the end of, I believe it was, Metroid Prime 3 and that Federation Force

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
This thread will implode, then explode at the same time when everything goes completely off-course, if it does.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
For real, Wonder Red could be the ‘shill’ pick for a Wonderful 101 port/sequel. It’s purely hypothetical, but it’s an idea. Probably sylux though.
"Shill" has to apparently be an older character. Someone from the Melee/Brawl era, or at least thats what has been specified.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hold the phone...

Fatman, how do you know what's being considered?
Polar invited me to the League of Extraordinary Gentleman largely because of my longevity here and two modships in the past. Like I said earlier, I just sit at the table and have talking (with approval) because I was tired of all the bellyaching and crying into dry heaving that was going on about DLC after the Direct. DLC is looking to be pretty cool based on what is known. The category of two is largely agreed on with two others decently debated. It'll be a fun ride and I think the salt overall will be fairly minimal if the Intel is right.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Why does everyone choose the guy that everyone knows over the guys that everyone forgot about?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The real question is what letter does the shill pick start with? :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No, plus that goes against the definition of a shill anyways. A shill character is one that is put in the game solely to promote an unreleased game. Again, this character isn't even that bad of a shill. They sort of boop the nose of the concept instead of deep throat french kiss it like a Three Thrones character would. I'll also say that nobody created past 2014 is currently being considered.
Is the character in question Nintendo or Third Party?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah, plus the shill character is competiton for one of the four characters (although most just agree on two) out of five total that are at the forefront at the moment. I mentioned this in the Geno thread.
Alright. Let me try to navigate a condensed summary of all we know about right now given what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and PolarPanda PolarPanda have said:
  • One of our five fighters is another SE fighter
    • The SE list is Sephiroth, Crono, Slime, Luminary, Erdrick, Sora, and Geno
      • Of these seven, only three were seriously considered, those being Sora, Geno, and Sephiroth.
        • Sora was thrown out. Surprisingly, Normura respected it, but the other developers didn't and rallied for his inclusion. This complicated negotiations.
        • Sephiroth and Geno moved on and one made it in the door while the other was on standby. No one knows how that went. We could get one, both, or neither for all we know.
          • If we only get one, the one who didn't make it is actually leakbait and no one can release the two serious picks lest they risk themselves getting outed and having action taken against them
            • All of this information came from an outside source and could be fake, but makes sense given other known information
      • Geno's in here too, as a source within Nintendo told PolarPanda that he heard about him in an office rumor on November 2nd. Since then other potential developments about SE characters other than Geno have become known, making him seem unlikely.
  • Minecraft currently has no hard evidence, and relies on trusting Vergeben's trusted source, even though most insiders have cut ties with Vergeben. If there is any hard evidence, it's being hidden for the time being. Regardless, Steve is still on the table.
  • Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell as Tales of reps are both being considered against each other. -Unconfirmed rumor
  • There is currently no evidence suggesting first or second party characters are being planned.
Here's where I'm confused:
  • Two out of the five fighters are agreed upon by most insiders in the know (who's the second one?)
    • There's a category of two characters that are agreed upon and another two are debated to be in (here's the one I least understand)
  • No characters created past 2014 are being considered (how does anyone know this? this is dangerously close to "I know Sakurai's thought methods" level of claims)

I'll end this post with an aside saying that I was wrong to judge PolarPanda given my former stance towards him as a result of the Theory Wars, and I'll apologize for any scornful comments I said during the beginning of this speculation period. It seems like he and his group just want to get the truth out there, and I respect that.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Y'all are being ridiculous. The shill pick is obviously Isaac to promote the new Golden Sun game that is clearly set to be announced at the VGAs. Is there really any other choice??

;)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
>Sylux
>Poochy
>safe bet characters

Chief....
Sylux very likely involved with prime 4 and now a trilogy of the other 3 might be in the horizon for the switch sylux hinted to have a big role in prime 4 from the director Nintendo usually puts a character in for promotion

Poochy that’s not the real poochy as a spirit because they called him “yarn poochy” the Yoshi yarn stage was removed but yet no “crafted world” replacement so poochy could bring it in the package poochy is also a high request and we know crafted world is involved since Yoshi has a crafted world alt so why no stage? And Nintendo could promote crafted world with poochy
And ofcoarse Nintendo said something they might have a similar reaction to the piranha plant when they spoke about the dlc character choices

There’s logic for both of them chief but yes no such thing as safe bets but bare in mind most of us got the guess right this time

Inkling was betted as shoe in before development started

Quite a few people thought Sakurai will give Ridley the villager treatment which is what happened

Simon Belmont was highly considered since he’s the last nes charaternleft and the ballot was involved of ultimate but not ritcher

Chrom and Dark Samus got betted on instaiously the moment everybody noticed the 2 alternate costumes for samus and Ike were missing

King K. Rool was assumed the real winner of the ballot after we finally proved once and for all bayonetta was rigged since Corrin was the real final character added thanks to a data dig by source gamings crew and not only Sakurai said K. Rool got in by the ballot they got blow out of the water of not knowning how popular the king was

Isabelle she survived twice in the slaughter then September later she’s revealed and best part as a semi clone and not echo like first assume wish the same was true for shadow on being playable but oh well

Ken got assuming just like *snaps fingers* when the echo concept was introduced ken is the original echo fighter so the very first one ever had to get in

Incineroar was assumed from the greninja incident at first it was decidueye but that was until Vergeben step fourth and said no mimikyu, Lycanroc and decidueye and this boat would have Ben kept sailing as exspected if it weren’t for that stupid grinch leak which got a lot of people’s hopes up

The only barely anyone got correct characters was daisy, ritcher and the piranha plant

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The dissonance between how this site treated unreleased content for a mod and unreleased content for an actual Smash game (like right now) really just underlines how up their own butt that team was.
The Smash community has a really bad issue with worshipping other members of the community just cause they're popular. It's far too cliquey for its own good, with people getting into influential positions of power, just cause they're rubbing elbows with the right people. I mean, I know that happens everywhere, but it's very prevalent here. With something like PM, something that has always been a grassroots community effort, there's no reason other members on this site wanting to work on it, shouldn't be allowed to do so, and for the community itself to sustain a mod like that, as a community effort. But no, because some of the more popular members of the PMDT said they don't want anyone working on it, now no one is allowed to, not even exPM devs who were lower on the ladder. It literally took Strongbad's blessing to get P+ back in action after he tried to get it shut down, and no, that mod continuation won't be adding additional characters or even touching the 4.0 content, because the voices of the PMDT straight up don't want people to. It's absurd.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The "L" character being L-Block from Tetris actually makes too much sense to me. Especially after Piranha Plant, this actually feels possible... it's also one of those weird things that that guy from Gamexplain who "predicted" everything randomly dropped in during their pre-Direct discussion and predictions.

Other than that another washed out character from way back that comes to mind would be Liu Kang as a Mortal Kombat rep, but this makes less sense to me as it's weird to imagine Warner Bros getting representation in Smash, and if we were to get something MK I would much more quickly wager on Scorpion or Sub-Zero as both are much larger icons.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Alright. Let me try to navigate a condensed summary of all we know about right now given what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and PolarPanda PolarPanda have said:
  • One of our five fighters is another SE fighter
    • The SE list is Sephiroth, Crono, Slime, Luminary, Erdrick, Sora, and Geno
      • Of these seven, only three were seriously considered. We don't know who those three are.
        • One was immediately thrown out to the surprise of the character's creators, who tried and failed to rally for them and complicated negotiations (potentially why we didn't get any additional FF content).
        • Two moved on and one made it in the door while the other was on standby. No one knows how that went. We could get one, both, or neither for all we know.
          • If we only get one, the one who didn't make it is actually leakbait and no one can release the two serious picks lest they risk themselves getting outed and having action taken against them
            • All of this information came from an outside source and could be fake, but makes sense given other known information
      • Geno's in here too, as a source within Nintendo told PolarPanda that he heard about him in an office rumor on November 2nd. Since then other potential developments about the SE character have become known, however, making Geno seem unlikely.
  • Minecraft currently has no hard evidence, and relies on trusting Vergeben's trusted source, even though most insiders have cut ties with Vergeben. If there is any hard evidence, it's being hidden for the time being. Regardless, Steve is still on the table.
  • A supposed "boomer" pick whose name starts with an L is also highly likely but not confirmed.
    • Is very likely Lloyd Irving, but could also be Leon Kennedy or even Lip.
Here's where I'm confused:
  • Two out of the five fighters are agreed upon by most insiders in the know (who's the second one?)
  • There's a minor shill character being considered as one of the three remaining characters
    • This character is within a pool of five characters that could potentially fill the other three slots (? - verification needed)
  • No characters created past 2014 are being considered (how does anyone know this? this is dangerously close to "I know Sakurai's thought methods" level of claims)

I'll end this post with an aside saying that I was wrong to judge PolarPanda given my former stance towards him as a result of the Theory Wars, and I'll apologize for any scornful comments I said during the beginning of this speculation period. It seems like he and his group just want to get the truth out there, and I respect that.
Can you expand on the "making Geno seem unlikely" thing? Is it just that we haven't heard stuff about him lately?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
"Harmless shill pick that was created before 2014" actually kind of sounds like Celica. Although Shadows of Valentia came out a while ago, but she could still shill Heroes and FE games in general.

Either way, the 2014 thing is actually very helpful, if true, because it eliminates characters from XC2, Arms, Gen 8, Three Houses, etc.

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I'm in good ties with PolarPanda PolarPanda and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice as well and i'm often in the background making what we hear isn't purely speculation. I wish to maintain the info we get as concrete as possible to avoid any issues in the long run. But regarding the L, It's Lloyd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Polar invited me to the League of Extraordinary Gentleman largely because of my longevity here and two modships in the past. Like I said earlier, I just sit at the table and have talking (with approval) because I was tired of all the bellyaching and crying into dry heaving that was going on about DLC after the Direct. DLC is looking to be pretty cool based on what is known. The category of two is largely agreed on with two others decently debated. It'll be a fun ride and I think the salt overall will be fairly minimal if the Intel is right.
> "salt overall will be fairly minimal"

You had me, then ya lost me. We're talking about Smash.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I find it weird that the claim of "no character past 2014" is applying for DLC.

Especially since we have Incineroar, a 2016 Pokemon, make it into the base roster.

Yes, I know Sakurai saved a spot for a Gen 7 Pokemon, but even if Sun/Moon started development in 2014, that would mean that Incineroar would be the most recent/almost most recent choice for a 2018 game, which I find weird.

Unless the DLC roster was decided as the same time as the base, I have serious doubts about this claim.

D

Deleted member

I've heard of a certain leaked character from three different sources. Still not fully convinced it's legit (as it'd be too good to be true), but there's a certain DLC character I see popping up a lot in private conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom