• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
No, the Japanese version of that trailer runs in reverse.

For no apparent reason except maybe that's it's cool.
Nah, there's an official version of the trailer that starts at the end and goes backwards towards the beginning.
In fact, they even edited all the sound effects to play correctly while in the reverse version.
I believe Graizen thinks it's a hint for Crono from Chrono Trigger.
Oh right, thanks. That's really interesting. I guess the marketing teams had different opinions on what worked better.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Crono would be awesome, but if you're going for a nostalgia SNES rep from a dead and unused franchise....why him and not you know Geno? The one fans clamored for forever?

And let's be real Square cares about the Chrono series about as much as they care about Super Mario RPG. It's sad but true.
Although I do want Geno to get in to please his fans, Crono is more important to me as I've actually played and love his game. I've dabbled into SMRPG, but it never really clicked with me like Chrono Trigger has.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Y'all are like "Chrono Trigger" yet me I'm just thinking
"IS THAT A JOJO REFE-"

I mean...HUM.
Yeah. Totally more hint

Double K

Smash Lord
Lol I'm reading this character's lore and it's amazing. Literally the centuries-old body-swapping creator of alchemy in this universe, doesn't that mean she's pretty important to the lore? And it implies that alchemy in this universe was invented specifically to get her into a female body lmao
Yeah, Cagliostro is important to the setting's lore for creating a form of magic/science that is still used to the present day. However, the defining aspect of the setting, the War that is often talked about, she made an explicit point that she was strnger than the Astrals, and told them to buzz off of she'd kill them, so she was mostly uninvolved.

She does know what's up with the main girl though, but she refuses to speak

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Although I do want Geno to get in to please his fans, Crono is more important to me as I've actually played and love his game. I've dabbled into SMRPG, but it never really clicked with me like Chrono Trigger has.
Oh there's no doubt in terms of grand scheme of RPGs Chrono Trigger did leave quite an impression on the genre over all. Super Mario RPG just sort of paved the way for Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

And if that's what Nekoo Nekoo is taking to mean me ''talking ****" or ''downplaying" the game then lol that's not what I mean.

I thought it was pretty obvious I was saying. In the grand scheme of SNES rpgs if you're adding someone to rep one and there are two big ones in terms of Smash potential and one has a character long requested by fans.

It makes a little more sense in some ways to go for that character.

Untouch

Smash Master
Why is the Youtube play button reversed on the video too?
C0iMB[1].jpg

Edit: Wait lol, you can flip it on the video site, this is just a fancy effect not an ARG or anything.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When it comes to the Square character, despite my appreciation for Mario RPG and Geno as a character, if I'm trying to make this this "Ultimate" fighting game for gaming characters, I'd no doubt at least attempt to get Sora in the game if I was Nintendo and/or Sakurai.

Something of note is that the only "Square Enix" thing seen as a Spirit is Geno. To my knowledge there isn't anything for Final Fantasy, DQ, TWEWY, Crono Trigger, or anything really. Spirits don't mean anything imo but I just thought I'd point that out.

To me, the only way Sora doesn't work out is if Sakurai/Nintendo are intimidated by the prospect of working with Disney (plausible, no doubt), or he costs too much (also plausible).

For whatever reason, playing KH: Dream Drop Distance and seeing the gang from TWEWY made me reconsider Neku's prospects of being in Smash. It was just unexpected. I've never played TWEWY, but I just wasn't expecting that.

I must say though, it'd be terribly interesting if the Geno costume isn't a Mii Fighter outfit and Geno isn't playable. That'd be a huge "O O F" text from me my dudes. Similar to Rex, if we truly aren't going to get them as playable in Smash, a Mii Fighter costume will never replace them, but it's something.

D

Deleted member

I see people mentioning Chrono Trigger so I'm interested in whatever talk you guys have.

LetterO

Smash Lord
When it comes to the Square character, despite my appreciation for Mario RPG and Geno as a character, if I'm trying to make this this "Ultimate" fighting game for gaming characters, I'd no doubt at least attempt to get Sora in the game if I was Nintendo and/or Sakurai.

Something of note is that the only "Square Enix" thing seen as a Spirit is Geno. To my knowledge there isn't anything for Final Fantasy, DQ, TWEWY, Crono Trigger, or anything really. Spirits don't mean anything imo but I just thought I'd point that out.

To me, the only way Sora doesn't work out is if Sakurai/Nintendo are intimidated by the prospect of working with Disney (plausible, no doubt), or he costs too much (also plausible).

For whatever reason, playing KH: Dream Drop Distance and seeing the gang from TWEWY made me reconsider Neku's prospects of being in Smash. It was just unexpected. I've never played TWEWY, but I just wasn't expecting that.

I must say though, it'd be terribly interesting if the Geno costume isn't a Mii Fighter outfit and Geno isn't playable. That'd be a huge "O O F" text from me my dudes. Similar to Rex, if we truly aren't going to get them as playable in Smash, a Mii Fighter costume will never replace them, but it's something.
You gotta try TWEWY. It's a really good game. I haven't finished it yet, but it is REALLY damn good.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
As a bonus, here is a cut from the GBF anime

God she's cool
I have never heard of GBF before the leak but I hope either the mobile game hits international markets or the console game comes to Switch (it's already confirmed for international release). Katalina coming to Smash would be a great way to create hype for either game.

Like in some direct next year "Granblue Fantasy Re:Link is coming to Switch in 2020 and speaking of which... 'Katalina chills the competition".

I feel like people would be more interested in the character beyond her looks if we had a chance to explore her game.

Also if Nintendo owns like 10% of Cygames, doesn't that make her sort of a Nintendo character anyways? Like Nintendo has stock in Pokemon alongside Game Freak and Creatures Inc (and it doesn't own the majority of it), and those are still Nintendo characters. I believe it's similar with Monolith Soft (Xenoblade) as well.

Shroob

Sup?
Man, we're almost down to the three week marker!

*Still doesn't have a Switch*

...it's fine. Ya'll have fun without meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Double K

Smash Lord
Okay, guys what about this

Incineroar, Ken, Ryu and C. Falcon are all brawling in the streets. Incinreoar does some cool wrestling moves, and a bystander is watching, making some gestures and scratching his chin.

Incineroar does a suplex, and the character says in Japanese, "That's rad!"

He then runs over and dropkicks Incineroar through a window, and some cool music comes.

Kazuma Kiryu, brings the heat!

Last edited:

Starbound

As long as you noticed it :yoshi:
I was trying to save you the post.

Oh and he and Puff were the only OG 12 not in the ad, if you assume Fox is in the arwing.

I'm loving this meme... Now all we need is a Guile's theme version...
About that...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

LetterO

Smash Lord
TWEWY being in Kingdom Hearts is interesting though. As far as I know, it's the only Square property that isn't Final Fantasy that is in Kingdom Hearts.

If we look at a business perspective, Square might also want Nintendo to promote TWEWY Final Remix with Neku in Smash.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know, OG 8 aside, why ISN'T my boi not in these CG Trailers? Do they not think he's not hype enough or isn't well-known enough to have them in there? Because I'd like to know what planet they come from to think otherwise...

D

Deleted member

I really would be okay with any Square JRPG character, some more than others though, specially I'd rather have a new series represented than a side character from an existing one.
Bring the cross, there is people who liked Crono Cross.

Ah.
AHAH.

Ahem...
Sorry.
Wanna die punk?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
TWEWY being in Kingdom Hearts is interesting though. As far as I know, it's the only Square property that isn't Final Fantasy that is in Kingdom Hearts.

If we look at a business perspective, Square might also want Nintendo to promote TWEWY Final Remix with Neku in Smash.
Weeeeell...The reasons as of why TWEWY cast is in Traverse Town in KH is because Traverse Town is a "sleeping world" kiiinda like a part that doesn't exist anymore.
Probably in an universe where it's not the FF cast living in traverse town, but the TWEWY cast...So they needed a cameo and used another licence that Nomura worked on.

And probably explaining why no TWEWY in KH III was confirmed :c

Last edited:

Starbound

From a business perspective, I think it makes sense.

I feel like, as a business, Nintendo wants to reward companies who are publishing on their highly successful console with a character from an IP that's actually on the console, because it continues to bring in money for both companies.

As examples:
"Sora joins Smash" -> Ninty and Square make money off of the DLC -> new Sora fans want to play a KH game -> buys the game and PS4/Xbox to play it -> Square and Sony/Microsoft make money

instead of

"Noctis/Neku/etc joins Smash" -> Ninty and Square make money off of the DLC -> new fans want to play their games -> buys the game on Switch -> Square and Ninty make more money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom