• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Why are people so against a Dragon Quest hero being playable. Doesn't make sense lol.

Shroob

Sup?
the only reason why i was anti-box was because of vergeben's fabled SE newcomer. i really felt that all the characters that he mentioned were all going to be on the base roster. and then sakurai came out and piledrived my expectations with that direct. i'm still curious about him knowing about a supposed dlc character that early on though. was sakurai fibbing when he said that the dlc characters were barely being started on? and is the SE rep far enough in development that word got out?
If we're expecting a reveal at the VGAs, then yes, 'fibbing' it is.

Calane

Smash Ace
Thing is that's Squenix crossing over WITH ITSELF.

WAY different then DQ crossing over with another company.
DQ doesn't do crossovers very much. The only times they crossed over with another company to my knowledge were the Mario ones. The heroes were not in those as far as I know.

However, I don't think that means very much. It's not like there's some rule that the DQ heroes can't appear in a crossover when another company is involved. At least, they haven't crossed over with other companies enough to provide any real evidence for this being the case.

Heck, the hero of DQ1 just appeared in what I assume is some sort of phone game spinoff. Check it out, he appears around the end of the trailer.

I don't think SE has any problems using the DQ heroes in other things than just the games they originate from. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please explain.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So basically the old "My character deserves to be in over your character!" competition.

True, but some are acting like the protagonists of DQ can't bring anything interesting. Which is foolish.
Well I can't explain those some but I can explain me who really doesn't want a DQ hero.

They bore me. I don't care about DQ. I want Geno.
Makes sense, no?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I'm completely fine with people not wanting a DQ protagonist over a side character.
I'd just wish they'd stop parroting "DQ crossovers don't use protagonists."

Like what?
First of all, some do.
Second of all, why exactly does that matter for Smash if Sakurai's going to pick someone representative of the franchise?

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
If we're expecting a reveal at the VGAs, then yes, 'fibbing' it is.
well i'm not expecting a reveal at the VGAs. seems way to early and sakurai did say that character's take a while to develop. we'll probably get our first dlc character right around when PP is added, maybe as a surprise release.
Why are people so against a Dragon Quest hero being playable. Doesn't make sense lol.
all the DQ heroes are sword-wielders and the smash fanbase hates sword-wielders.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For me, I have more experience with Slime and its vast moveset potential. I only was able to really play DQ 1, 2, and two of DQ Monster games. None of the Heroes stand out to me as much as Slime does to me. I never had an issue with the whole "bleh, generic character" when it came to Slime. At one point, I had that mindset, but then I realized that I can't really say that and be fine with any Pokemon(who are all generic monsters in the exact same way). Never mind that Slime is equivalent to Pikachu when it comes to being a mascot and a full character depending the game. Literally the same role as Pikachu in the anime at times too(being a major character, partner of the more generic playable hero).

Besides that, they aren't as well known as the general Pokemon Trainer class, which is what was chosen for Brawl, but even he(and now she if you choose) isn't directly playable. The Pokemon are. Dragon Quest has always had a serious focus on how important the Monsters are to the series. The Heroes/Classes still play their respective role, of course, but people know Dragon Quest because of more than who you play as(and in many cases, not many remember who they are. Some barely know who Erdrick is since he wasn't even playable in the first game alone, just mentioned. He's not that easy to remember compared to the mascot of the series).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm completely fine with people not wanting a DQ protagonist over a side character.
I'd just wish they'd stop parroting "DQ crossovers don't use protagonists."

Like what?
First of all, some do.
Second of all, why exactly does that matter for Smash if Sakurai's going to pick someone representative of the franchise?
I have a name, Idon!

To be honest? I'm going off of what I'm told in this thread. From what I've seen though they do use protagonists but only in crossovers with Squenix itself.
It doesn't really matter imo. But it's just a point I thought was important. However I may be misinformed.

splat

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone unironically wants less content. They were just happy that the people who attacked them and Incineroar fans for not believing in the Grinch leak were put in their place.
This. I subscribed to the Box Theory fairly early on (especially after looking into Nintendo’s Direct schedule of the past few years), and got so much **** thrown my way. I mean, of course I would’ve liked more fighters, but at an obscene 70+ already I’m more than happy with what we got.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'm not necessarily against it, per say, but I've never had any interest in Dragon Quest, nor known anyone else who does. For me, it'd be quite a boring (if not unexpected) pick.

Shroob

Sup?
It was interesting playing the role of a leaker this cycle.

I can't imagine how someone like Verg though who puts himself out in the open must feel though. I don't envy him.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'd like to note Verg has said some nasty things on his own before.

That said, I agree with your point. It solves nothing and just makes matters worse to be an *** to leakers. It's fine that you don't want to hear about them, or be leaked, as you like to find out things the regular way and all. That's fair. It doesn't excuse the attitude displayed towards them. You can have an opinion without the vitriol.
Even if he's acted unruly, the general consensus toward him (looking at you, Gamefaqs and Grinchers) reeks of He Who Fights Monsters. Still, I totes appreciate your input.

I can think of a few reasons why:
-Kinda vanilla
-Akira Toriyama style is hit-or-miss for some
-Other SE reps have something going for them either emotionally, visually, or both

Me though?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have a name, Idon!

To be honest? I'm going off of what I'm told in this thread. From what I've seen though they do use protagonists but only in crossovers with Squenix itself.
It doesn't really matter imo. But it's just a point I thought was important. However I may be misinformed.
Well, I'd refer to you specifically, but this is a >1 situation.

If anyone doesn't want "DQ-man" I'd respect that opinion, hell I can definitely agree A LOT some points they make.
I just don't like misinformation. Peeves me.

D

Deleted member

Well, I'd refer to you specifically, but this is a >1 situation.

If anyone doesn't want "DQ-man" I'd respect that opinion, hell I can definitely agree A LOT some points they make.
I just don't like misinformation. Peeves me.
I know how you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Even if he's acted unruly, the general consensus toward him (looking at you, Gamefaqs and Grinchers) reeks of He Who Fights Monsters. Still, I totes appreciate your input.

I can think of a few reasons why:
-Kinda vanilla
-Akira Toriyama style is hit-or-miss for some
-Other SE reps have something going for them either emotionally, visually, or both

Me though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK_nA2iVXw
Bro, when did you start doing this tvtropes linking stuff, I definitely don't remember you starting off like this lmao.

...And how do you keep finding relevant things to link to?

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well I hope that if DQ is indeed in Smash, the music gets some awesome remixes. I've only played IX but the music in that game was absolutely forgetful.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Alriiiiiiiighty then, in a desperat ploy to change the subject, let's talk about something topical...
Victory fanfares!
If your most wanted character got into Smash, what would their jingle be a snippet of?
I-I'll start.
Late as hell on this but here ya go.

Assuming he doesn't re-use Mega Man's, that is.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Bro, when did you start doing this tvtropes linking stuff, I definitely don't remember you starting off like this lmao.

...And how do you keep finding relevant things to link to?
I never started hyperlinking tropes, you say? Ahahaha, ahahaha, AHAHAHA!!!

[cough]

It's been a very slow Saturday for me, lmao

So, Dante vs Doomguy. Which one would you have as DLC?
Dante of course! Without him, it'd be a HUGE missed opportunity for "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ Series"!
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.32.44 AM.png

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Ehh, I wouldn't say exactly I'm "against" but it's something I really don't want since, well, I know nothing about DQ and (super biased) I'd rather have Geno lol. Basically, for me personally, it'd be disappointing.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Alriiiiiiiighty then, in a desperat ploy to change the subject, let's talk about something topical...
Victory fanfares!
If your most wanted character got into Smash, what would their jingle be a snippet of?
I-I'll start.
This but played on a loop, like they did with Cloud and the FF7 victory theme.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
all the DQ heroes are sword-wielders and the smash fanbase hates sword-wielders.
It's funny because despite the complaints, in what seems like over half of recent Ultimate gameplay videos that have gone up, you'll see at least one sword-wielder per match. ;P

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom