• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The DLC characters being "pretty cool" is subjective but it makes me think.

I don't think they're gonna be promotional like you guys all seem to fear.
I still think it's short-sighted to believe that only now is Nintendo getting involved in the selection process. And so far the only clearly promotional additions have probably been at the behest of either Game Freak/TPC or IS more than Nintendo themselves, so I think the alarmism is overblown. At any time in the past Nintendo could've intervened to insist on promotional representation, if that's where their heads were at.

Not to say I can't envision getting a promotional addition, because I can... but I really am not expecting the majority of the five to be comprised of that sort of inclusion. If anything I think the likeliest promotional addition would be a Gen 8 Pokemon, and again that would probably stem from GF/TPC.

D

Deleted member

I literally forgot Ridley was in the game. Again.

View attachment 176715

I feel like he got overshadowed since August and now there's rarely a group still actively going to main him.
He's also not looking too great so the hype died down for him. Meanwhile the other fan requested reptilian villain:ultkrool:is looking to be potentially really good so all the hype is around him now

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i have nothing against minecraft actually but lol steve would be the most corporate character choice next to granblue lady
You could see all these choices as corporate choices
Doesn't change the fact that Minecraft is more iconic than almost all the games out there at this point, has permanently changed the gaming field, now has Nintendo history and continues to gain some...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yup...It makes me think that, probably, some people out there know the Square-Enix rep, or at least, the rumored ones and that if they open their mouth, they'll get Killed tomorrow and send in the Ocean by "accident" thanks to Square-Enix's Yakuza's.
Not their Yazukas, their Hit men. Or rather, their Hitman.

Thank you, I'll be here all... Longer than I should be.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The sadistic part of me wants another FE character to get revealed so I can see the salt flow again. I mean, there's a pretty good chance of that, and I won't complain.

Potato_

Smash Lord
The sadistic part of me wants another FE character to get revealed so I can see the salt flow again. I mean, there's a pretty good chance of that, and I won't complain.
I mean it'll probably be a Three Houses rep, which means I'd be just neutral. I love FE but I'm not going to get hyped over a lord I know nothing about.

but if they add Hector tho

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd like Steve, Steve would be hype.

I'd rather Banjo-Kazooie get in first though tbh.
i have nothing against minecraft actually but lol steve would be the most corporate character choice next to granblue lady
On one hand, Steve is dull. On the other, first Western third-party series inclusion that opens the door to others, not to mention make B-K negotiations easy peasy in the future.

I still think it's short-sighted to believe that only now is Nintendo getting involved in the selection process. And so far the only clearly promotional additions have probably been at the behest of either Game Freak/TPC or IS more than Nintendo themselves, so I think the alarmism is overblown. At any time in the past Nintendo could've intervened to insist on promotional representation, if that's where their heads were at.

Not to say I can't envision getting a promotional addition, because I can... but I really am not expecting the majority of the five to be comprised of that sort of inclusion. If anything I think the likeliest promotional addition would be a Gen 8 Pokemon, and again that would probably stem from GF/TPC.
Yeah, people are acting like this unsafe for forums meme right now:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/495/123/dce.jpg

I mean, I get that Nintendo might mess something up, but let's not treat this game like one of those Mario Kart or Party games.

Or when we're playing the game.

People here play the game, right?
Once I get a Switch and that game, I won't notice the time flying by.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
the same can also be said of any other, easier to get character from square as well
Not really having a Dragon Quest character would most likely not lead to as much income. Lets look at Dragon Quest 11 sales as an example, 4 million world wide, impressive. Until you look at the fact that 75% of the sales came from Japan. That heavily implies that Dragon Quest is still not very popular in the West. If they added Dragon Quest it would be a logical move, however it would not benefit them on a global scale. If they added Sora he is the next most globally popular character outside of Cloud. So the chances would their income being higher despite having to share with Disney.

D

Deleted member

By really good you mean really easy to GIMP if you know where to hit?
Cloud and Diddy are also pretty easy to gimp. Even if K. Rool's recovery is less than stellar he still has great normals, hyper armor (albeit limited), good kill moves and solid projectiles. He has the makings of a good character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not really having a Dragon Quest character would most likely not lead to as much income. Lets look at Dragon Quest 11 sales as an example, 4 million world wide, impressive. Until you look at the fact that 75% of the sales came from Japan. That heavily implies that Dragon Quest is still not very popular in the West. If they added Dragon Quest it would be a logical move, however it would not benefit them on a global scale. If they added Sora he is the next most globally popular character outside of Cloud. So the chances would their income being higher despite having to share with Disney.
A-And every country l-loves Geno...

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Your most wanted newcomer and your most expected newcomer share the same CGI trailer. How will the trailer be? Where is the location? Your most wanted newcomer has to be different from your most expected. If they are the same, go for your second most expected.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Katalina gets in but the rest of the reps are like Sora/Geno, Banjo/Steve, Bandanna Dee/Elma, and Rayman/Dragonborn, I don't think people will complain. It all depends on who the other 4 characters are

Well the people that hate 3rd party will hate it, but can't please everyone
Regardless of whether those other characters get in or not, if Katalina is included, people will start chiding those who dislike her presence pretty much right after the initial wave of backlash has died down, as is customary.

As to your point, you'd think that, wouldn't you. But people really railed against Bayo and Corrin (and Cloud, initially) as if the prior DLC characters had never happened. And as if they weren't optional, as Katalina would also be.

So I guess the overall point is both sides will be lousy regardless. :teeth:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The DLC characters being "pretty cool" is subjective but it makes me think.

I don't think they're gonna be promotional like you guys all seem to fear.
That's what I'm thinking too.

Of course, they CAN promote upcoming content (look at Corrin! Despite what Fire Emblem fans say, they still seem to be very popular. Especially the female variation of Corrin. ...might have a teeny lil' crush on her design myself.) but DLC needs to sell, and lots of Ultimate's marketing campaign has been around appealing to EVERYONE. Old and new alike, so I can see a mix for the DLC.

That being said, I thought about Fire Emblem: Three Houses and how lots of people speculate Edelgard to be a lock to promote the new game. But the thing is, that game comes out in Spring of 2019 (unless it gets delayed.) If a Three Houses rep gets in and they're spreading DLC out across the year+, it probably wouldn't be for primarily advertising purposes anymore. That, and what if they used Sharena from Fire Emblem Heroes to promote further content? Anyway, just a thought about Edelgard. I don't have any stake on her being in the game or not if the main game stays in its guestimate release date.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So I don't think I've ranked the Ultimate newcomers yet.

Newcomers
:ultridley: - Dragon bias, plus my love of mobile heavyweights. While not an active supporter of him during Smash 4 I tended to side with his supporters when they argued that he could be resized so seeing him get in was a bit cathartic.

:ultincineroar: - While there are other pokemon I personally would have gone for first, I kept an open mind to Incineroar and was more then ready to welcome his inclusions. After seeing his trailer and gameplay, however, I'm now convinced that he absolutely was the best possible Gen 7 pick. The way he poses after landing powerful attacks just shows how much fun the developers must of had designing him.

:ultinkling: - Inkling's refill mechanic looks to add another layer of strategy to her moveset as you have to consider resource management, like Robin. Unlike Robin however, she only has one ink gauge to keep track of and actually seems to have good mobility. I'm not a Splatoon player but this character just looks like a ton of fun.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: - They really went crazy with the Belmont's moveset. Had they joined in 64 or Melee like :ultsamus: they'd probably have mostly short ranged attacks with a lot of punches and kicks but instead their normals have ridiculous range. I'm excited for them because of their unique playstyle, but between their incredible range and varied projectiles I'm really not excited to face them on For Glory.

:ultpiranha: - This character is hilarious and I will defend his inclusion to the ground, but now that the hypes settle a bit, I won't lie that he's not exactly super exciting. I still expect to have a good time with him in casual matches and friendlies though, especially with that move where he extends his neck across the stage. I also really appreciate the memes that have been born.

:ultisabelle: - The only unique newcomer I'm not activity hyped for. I don't really enjoy Villager's slingshot heavy playstyle which is unfortunate since Isabelle seems to be pretty similar. Her down special at least looks really fun. Still a solid inclusion who makes sense, imo, just not one who appeals to me particularly.

Echoes
:ultken: - Never really learned to play Ryu but I'm considering giving him a try so I can play Ken more naturally when Ultimate releases. I keep messing up the inputs for True Shoryuken though. I don't know how Street Fighter players do it.
:ultdarksamus: - A lot of effort was clearly put into this echo fighter compared to some others as most of her animations seem to be modified to match her nature. I'll still probably use regular Samus more but won't have a strong preference between the two.
:ultchrom: - Chrom is cool and all, but he just looks like a less fun Roy to me. I actually kind of like Roy's awful reverse-tipper mechanic.
:ultdaisy: - I never played Peach much and probably won't play Daisy too much either. I don't mind her, her moveset just doesn't stand out to me as special.
I'll do mine.

Newcomers:
:ultinkling: I absolutely love their mechanic. It'll take some getting used to but it seems really fun. Not to mention I adore Splatoon in the first place. They seem fast and mobile which is good because I prefer fast characters, they just seem like a great character.
:ultincineroar: I can't believe my Sun and Moon starter got in. it still feels like a dream, he's amazing. They used his wrestler persona so well too, his moveset is wild! He was the best choice for a gen 7 fighter.
:ultisabelle: I'm less excited about the moveset and more excited about the character. She's a cutie.
:ultridley: Dragon bias. He looks rad.
:ultkrool: I was ambivalent before, but this-
396986.png
-really changed my mind. He's awesome.
:ultpiranha: What an absolute joke of a character, I love him. You haters can keep hating you know Piranha Plant's gonna be top tier!
:ultsimon::ultrichter: By comparison i'm the least excited for these guys. I'll try em out a few times but they don't "speak" to me.

echoes:
:ultdaisy:HI I'M DAISY
:ultchrom:Chrom's cool, I like him. He got his chance another day.
:ultdarksamus: She looks freaky, I like that.
:ultken: BEHOLD! THE WORST KEPT SECRET IN SMASH HISTORY!

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean I still don't know how to feel about Katalina until she actually happens, but Steve at least seems like he'd be cool.

As for the rest we have no idea, but in terms of Square I think Geno and Sora would both be good, with Dragon Quest being eh but I'd live.

Actually that raises an interesting question: would you want to know the DLC characters ahead of time or have them announced one by one?
I want to know them all right here, right now, all at the same time... but that's not gonna happen

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, people are acting like this unsafe for forums meme right now:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/495/123/dce.jpg

I mean, I get that Nintendo might mess something up, but let's not treat this game like one of those Mario Kart or Party games.
Yeah, you'd think with the narrative people are weaving of a promotional focus, we'd have at least one strongly rumoured character that actually fits that paradigm, instead of three that oppose it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh! OH! OH! My favorite Game! Story Revisionism!

Sora was ALWAYS unexpected, even if he happens, EVEN his own fans know that.
He was the laughing stock for Smash 4 ballot because "Disney" and dare say his name during Ultimate's speculation and you'll get "HUM BUT GENO." or "BUT DISNEY" and the game of "Let's play who can throw more missinformation in 5 minutes"
The fact that there is just a TINY hope that he might makes in, and people suddenly realize that hey...Maybe he's not as crazy as we though, Is more than enough for a lot of his supporter.
Maybe go look up the definition of Revisionism. You all are talking about Sora NOW and talking about him potentially being in the game. A character is unexpected when people don't think he's going to happen yet people in this thread claim he can happen and will happen. Go Google "Sora in Smash Bros" and you will get YouTube videos and threads about Sora being in. Here is a video with over 100K views and 6K likes talking how Sora is going to be in Smash. Too jokey? Here is another one with 55K views. Yes, Sora is totally unexpected. No one would see him coming. That's why everyone is talking about him right? Go on to Google images and type Sora in Smash and look how many splash images are made. Heck, I just did it before the ballot was over (see the image). WOW, look at all the Sora for Smash images. Now go do the same for Piranha Plant and see what comes up.

If you are going to criticize someone of Revisionism, maybe get your facts straight first.

Attachments

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
OK, but if you don't know about the Disney license, then its not hard to believe. Even with what you mentioned, Sora gets brought up all the time both here and in other places (there was a big thread about it on 4Chan last night). His inclusion wouldn't be a shock.

The problem is that after Cloud, you aren't going to get a lot of surprises because now people expect every major third party character. The only way it could be is if it was someone that was never on the radar. From Square Enix, maybe you could say Octopath Traveler would be unexpected but thats because no one brings it up (though I expect if there is a guest character, it would be from that game).

The most surprising characters this game were from Nintendo. No one expected Ridley and K Rool because they were snuffed in the past and Piranha Plant because no one would have guest it. Simon, on the other hand, was pretty much expected and would have been even without Verge's leak (after Snake and Bomberman, who are you going to pick from Konami). Richter was more surprising as he was an echo of Simon and people didn't think he'd get one. If you are going off unexpected, I would pretty much any guest character is expected at this point and Sora definitely is.
I can see where you're coming from and a lot of what you said makes sense. Yes its expected now that most 3rd party reps will be big name characters from that company. However out of all the possible and logical Square reps that could be added to Smash. Sora still is seen as the one with a lot of obstacles, most people know his newest game is not coming to the Switch, at least not right now. Most people are aware that Disney is involved in the ownership of Sora in some way. So out of the Square reps despite it not being a surprise anymore to see big name characters from other company's in Smash. Sora still would have that I cant believe he's here, because he is seen as the character thats less likely due to not having a game on the Switch and Disney being involved in some way.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Yeah, you'd think with the narrative people are weaving of a promotional focus, we'd have at least one strongly rumoured character that actually fits that paradigm, instead of three that oppose it.
It's literally just because of the Katalina rumor (which isn't even a sure thing yet).

Like wow, even if it is true, so far we have ONE promotional character being rumored. And at least 2 that are clearly meant to be hype announcements (Square and Microsoft).

Yeah somehow I don't think it'll be nearly as "advertisement focused" as people are fearing it to be.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Maybe go look up the definition of Revisionism. You all are talking about Sora NOW and talking about him potentially being in the game. A character is unexpected when people don't think he's going to happen yet people in this thread claim he can happen and will happen. Go Google "Sora in Smash Bros" and you will get YouTube videos and threads about Sora being in. Here is a video with over 100K views and 6K likes talking how Sora is going to be in Smash. Too jokey? Here is another one with 55K views. Yes, Sora is totally unexpected. No one would see him coming. That's why everyone is talking about him right? Go on to Google images and type Sora in Smash and look how many splash images are made. Heck, I just did it before the ballot was over (see the image). WOW, look at all the Sora for Smash images. Now go do the same for Piranha Plant and see what comes up.

If you are going to criticize someone of Revisionism, maybe get your facts straight first.
Woah dude, calm down a bit. No need to be hostile.

The thing is, do you know how many times I've had to explain to people how Sora could be in Smash, or clear up some sort of misconception regarding his inclusion?

Too many damn times. Even when Sora is "expected," people argue that there's no way he could get in. He's always been unexpected in that regard.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Cloud and Diddy are also pretty easy to gimp. Even if K. Rool's recovery is less than stellar he still has great normals, hyper armor (albeit limited), good kill moves and solid projectiles. He has the makings of a good character.
His hyper armor is exactly the problem. When it breaks, it's a freefall. Get a freefall in the air, well, you ain't coming back.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Woah dude, calm down a bit. No need to be hostile.

The thing is, do you know how many times I've had to explain to people how Sora could be in Smash, or clear up some sort of misconception regarding his inclusion?

Too many damn times. Even when Sora is "expected," people argue that there's no way he could get in. He's always been unexpected in that regard.
He's expected by the hardcore Smash community but not the casuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom