• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Here's a fun thought I would like to get everyone's opinion on. Due to Disney being on a roll of adding companies to them (Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilms, Fox)

I can see them sometime in the future to wanting to add a video game company to their company. To me the most logical choice would be that Disney would turn its attention to Nintendo due to its family friendly games. Again I am not confirming anything, its just a fun thought. So what are all of your opinions. If Disney would want to add a video game company in the future, which gaming company would they pursue?
Didnt Disney try to buy TOEI earlier this year? They were close to having their own anime corporation. It surprises how far they can expand.

Last edited:

Palarm

Smash Cadet
So we have 5 DLC characters coming our way, which franchise will they most likely expand upon/introduce?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Mostly yeah. Steve I don't care for but he'd probably be pretty fun anyways, Banjo would be hype, and Master Chief would be outrageous enough to make me overlook his lack of "Nintendo"

This though... not really. I can't think of a single Bethesda rep I'd be excited for :(
Bethesda technically owns Id Software... Soooo

Bionichute

Smash Champion
id be more cool with doomguy because he would be unique, has an actual (though tenuous) connection to nintendo, and is actually a gaming icon unlike generico dragonbored

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
as a dragon quest fan i can assure you that any major dq character capable of getting into smash is way more boring than slime by a longshot
To be honest, I've only played one game in the series and two spin-off games in the franchises, and yeah, if Piranha Plant has taught us anything is that anyone and anything can be turned into a fighter with enough ingenuity. I am just trying to base the character with the price of the download since as iconic as Slime is, for 5.99 he'd have to be something very unique, appealing and worth the price, IMHO.

It doesn't really matter that he's a blank canvas in Minecraft because Steve's personality in Smash would be "Minecraft". Steve in Minecraft and Steve in Smash are two very different things.
That's definitely true, and the same argument could be made for the Miis; they represent the "Wii" era of user customization and personalized gameplay. Once more I am trying to deduct which characters would be worth paying good money on IF that is the logic Nintendo is going to be using. Then again, Sakurai did say that in case there was a character people didn't want to buy they could buy them individually instead of the season pass.

D

Deleted member

Now to contrast with my misfortune on the Squenix rep...

I am so lucky with the Microsoft rep.
It's either Steve, Banjo-Kazooie, or even Master Chief. And they all helped develop my childhood and I have so many fond memories of them all. So no matter who's entering my favorite game I'm all set.
Inb4 Gears of War Dude
Why would Nintendo hand Sakurai a list with Sora on it?

That seems like a little bit of a stretch that they'd have characters on the list that they hadn't negotiated for.

Or maybe they've already negotiated a bunch...?
This is what makes me think it was a definitive list of 5 characters or at least it had like one or two 3rd parties with a bunch of Nintendo owned ones and they said "you have to use these ones but the other three are up to you".
Once you make a contract with another company, you HAVE to follow it. Nintendo can't just go back to them and say "sorry, not happening", specially as that's money thrown away.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Inb4 Gears of War Dude

This is what makes me think it was a definitive list of 5 characters or at least it had like one or two 3rd parties with a bunch of Nintendo owned ones and they said "you have to use these ones but the other three are up to you".
Once you make a contract with another company, you HAVE to follow it. Nintendo can't just go back to them and say "sorry, not happening", specially as that's money thrown away.
GRIZZLED WHITE MALE WITH BEARD IN A SHOOTER GAME Joins the Battle

D

Deleted member

If the potential Bethesda character situation is “here’s a list of characters you can use”, then I’d see Sakurai adding either Doomguy or Vault Boy. Sakurai has mentioned in a few of his articles that he’s a fallout fan, praising F3’s dlc and New Vegas. Doomguy could get in due to his sheer history and legacy.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Didnt Disney try to buy TOEI earlier this year? They were close to having their own anime corporation. It surprises how far they can expand.
I hadn't heard of that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to acquire them.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, who wants to place bets on whether or not anything new Smash related will show up at VGA? Taking all comers!

I'll bet that people will convince themselves something will happen, and as usual, nothing will. Anyone betting against me?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
So, who wants to place bets on whether or not anything new Smash related will show up at VGA? Taking all comers!

I'll bet that people will convince themselves something will happen, and as usual, nothing will. Anyone betting against me?
CRANKY KONG rocks in!

D

Deleted member

Here's a fun thought I would like to get everyone's opinion on. Due to Disney being on a roll of adding companies to them (Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilms, Fox)

I can see them sometime in the future to wanting to add a video game company to their company. To me the most logical choice would be that Disney would turn its attention to Nintendo due to its family friendly games. Again I am not confirming anything, its just a fun thought. So what are all of your opinions. If Disney would want to add a video game company in the future, which gaming company would they pursue?
No. God no. Keep them away from games.

StormC

Smash Hero
Got a source on that? I'd be pretty shocked if they did. Toei is one of the few companies powerful enough to have twisted Disney's arm in the past.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kinda. We still don't know what's up with...

Hyness and the Mages. Signs are pointing towards playable, but no one's really sure how it fits in with the last 3 Dream Friends.

So, anyone here playing the old Smash games before Ultimate comes out? I've been playing 3DS throughout the year, and I would like to do a SSE run in Brawl before Dec. 7th if I can find the time for it.
Might have something to do with
Zero

That said, I might buy :ultcorrin: and :ultbayonetta: for completion's sake. No promises, though.

Imagine how it'd sound saying "We have begun working on the DLC" when your game isn't out yet for any other game.
There is a very small chance Sakurai lied imho.

I do think a month and a half is enough time to create something satisfactory for a trailer who they seemed to have decided on long before now as indicated by the Squenix rep being the one Verge has been the most certain on for longest.

Could go full Inklings with just a CGI trailer.
That'd be cool, with the best case scenario being that another company helped with the trailer.

Speaking of SE's loss of money, there's rumors that they're going to adopt Subscription models for their future non-MMO games.

https://n4g.com/news/2216891/square...-mmo-games-push-more-dlc#.W-NiQ3O2zdk.twitter

This makes me really worried.
"You're only getting Cloud and a newcomer, and that's final."
*a few months after Ultimate launches*
"Er, on second thought, is it too late to lend you a few more and some spirits?"

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Time will tell I can see why people would believe its a Dragon Quest character, but we will see. I just really hope the rumor its Slime is not true. They should give that spot to Erdrick, Jade or the hero from DQ11.

I still think its Sora though, especially because Disney is going to do an event with Nintendo to promote the Nintendo Switch. It seems right now both Disney and Square have been very buddy like with Nintendo. The timing of everything for me personally, is making too much sense.

Hmm, why don't we make this bet more interesting if you are willing. If I lose I will change my profile picture for one week to the Dragon Quest character that made it in. If you lose you have to change your profile picture to Sora for one week. If we both lose and Geno or another Square rep make it in then we both have to change our profile picture to character that made it in for one week.

Ah thats the spirit buddy, I actually believe he has very high chances next Smash. Even if it takes a while to get here, it will still be epic when it comes. Yes the Stained Glass room is incredible I would say its one of Spain's most exquisite sites. Hmm I haven't heard those songs before Ill have to check them out.

Ah if you find those Goemon tracks send me them or even send me a playlist. Tell you what why don't we do it this way. Choose your top 5 favorite game music songs that have not been shared yet. You can choose to have all Goemon songs or mix it up. And I in return will share my top 5 game music songs that have not been shared yet.

I watch both Dub and Sub. For all of Dragon Ball Super I watched subbed. That being said I really Sean Schemmel's and Chris Sabat's performance of Goku and Vegeta. So if I had to choose, I would say I prefer dubbed.
I don't mind Slime at all, it is the selection answer. I mean why go through 11 selections when the general and probably most recognizable is right there. Besides, Rocket Slime was an excellent game. What gives DQ an edge over KH is that one was mostly on a Nintendo, the other mostly on Sony.
Thinking more about it, I can almost guarantee it'll be Slime. You know why? Bandai has a Slime anime going on, and apparently on the popular side. This can't get any better for all 3. Nintendo, Square and Bandai-Namco.
XD ohh bets are getting risky for both.

Ouch, you want me to get Goemon down, I'll leave the forum for that week XD How come I have to put Sora and you get a cool DQ char. OK, deal, but if I win you don't put the winning DQ rep, but an official King Slime profile picture. How about that? XD
This guy:

I asked that about DB because there was one of Goemon tracks that sounded like the Japanese track of DB. Hmm, sharing a top 5. That would be extremely hard for me to do. So I'll just go with the Goemon tracks, as I've been narrowing down those 68 tracks for you. I'll clear a few things first: 1. Those are from the 2nd 64 game only. 2. That doesn't mean in any way that I like those over the other. 3. I'm going for only 3. I don't know which you might prefer or clicks for you. Hey, might be none XD (don't worry if that was true, I don't mind it at all).

I selected this based on your prefernces

This is what I think is a fan favorite (I might be wrong):

And this is on the variety side I suppose (traveling n such):

D

Deleted member

Nintendo: "so we were thinking if we could use one of your characters for the next Smash..."
Bethesda: "well, sure, just let me check with Todd."
*Bethesda turns around to face Todd Coward voring an entire sofa, he stops and opens his mouth towards Nintendo and Bethesda, reveaking an entire void insite it*
Todd Coward: "HAVE. YOU. BOUGHT. SKYRIM. YET?"
*Bethesda turns around to Nintendo and Todd continues to consume everything in his past*
Bethesda: "Todd says you can use Skyrim."

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Bandai has a Slime anime going on, and apparently on the popular side.
*not actually an anime based on dragon quest slimes, just the concept of a character becoming a slime in a fantasy rpg setting

you got me excited for this dude, i would watch the hell out of a dragon quest slime anime

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
GRIZZLED WHITE MALE WITH BEARD AND A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT HAIRCUT IN A SHOOTER GAME joins the battle as his Echo Fighter
CHRIS REDFIELD JOINS THE BATTLE AS THE ECHO FIGHTER OF THE ECHO FIGHTER.

Sakurai explains ''When you think about it Chris Redfield is a very iconic gaming character but he also succumbed to the pressure and became a generic FPS lead just as the inspiration for his movesets. However his Final Smash is unique. A great boulder lands on the stage and he will push it and the other fighters off the stage with his fists. We hope you enjoy Chris Redfield's inclusion in the Super Smash Bros Ultimate roster."

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wonder if Verge will release the list after we find out about who the rep is.

Makes me wonder...we don't know what the list is.

Is it a list of characters Squenix is willing to negotiate like Nekoo suggested?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
*not actually an anime based on dragon quest slimes, just the concept of a character becoming a slime in a fantasy rpg setting

you got me excited for this dude, i would watch the hell out of a dragon quest slime anime
It's everything Slime BUT being an official Square, that's all. Great anime.

D

Deleted member

So, Ryu Hayabusa. How likely do you think his chances for Ultimate DLC are?

FreeFox

Smash Lord

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Say we got a second wave which was soley based on promoting Assists, who would you want promoted?

Honestly I only really personally care for Isaac (started playing Godlen Sun recently and fell in love).

Also Skull Kid supporters were really nice to us Bandana Dee fans so I would like to see them get there chance!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe as a Sheik semi-clone?
Nah, Ryu actually uses his sword. He also has fancy ninja stuff he can use, the only thing they could even swap is the recovery, but even then Ryu has his own tricks. Hell, he could be the first character who can actually latch to walls and attack simultaneously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not likely.

But would be a cool adition. Maybe as a Sheik semi-clone?
Nah, Ryu would not be Sheik semi-clone. Not in the slightest. He's got multiple weapons, ninpo arts, and martial arts moves to pull from to be uniqe fighter on his own.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Say we got a second wave which was soley based on promoting Assists, who would you want promoted?

Honestly I only really personally care for Isaac (started playing Godlen Sun recently and fell in love).

Also Skull Kid supporters were really nice to us Bandana Dee fans so I would like to see them get there chance!
waluigi, isaac, skull kid, sukapon, shovel knight. chain chomp as an early bonus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom