• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Man I’d be very conflicted if the Luminary from DQ11 was dlc.

On one hand it’s a Dragon Quest character and I really want that, on the other hand it’s the Luminary and I really don’t want him.

Im not sure if its real, but i saw someone saying that Robin´s final smash is still Pair Up with Chrom, can someone confirm that?
It’s on the front page on Smashboards

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Man I’d be very conflicted if the Luminary from DQ11 was dlc.

On one hand it’s a Dragon Quest character and I really want that, on the other hand it’s the Luminary and I really don’t want him.
It has to be Erdrick or nothing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you have an issue with a Moderator, please keep it to PM's or contact Forum Support. Do not use the forum itself as a battleground. It is not just off-topic, but it creates unnecessary turmoil.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Waluigi actually becoming DLC isn't going to be surprising to me right now
Imagine every Assist trying to fight it out to get a playable role, it'd be a blood bath....only for the Art Academy guy to win.

Though I don't think it'd happen.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
After some deep thinking, I really feel like the DLC news pushes Captain Toad's chances sky high. I'm cool with that - I love Mario so having more Mario characters isn't so bad to me. Plus, I mean, that's still 6/7ths of the roster that isn't Mario.

My semi-realistic DLC wish list with that in mind is now Elma, Travis Touchdown, Neku Sakuraba, Captain Toad, and Bandana Dee.

Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton or Jibanyan could go in over Neku but I'm hopeful!

First off @Venus of the Desert Bloom is stupid, I will make wrestling references if I want to and you people will respect that.. Im getting so sick and tired of this, I try my best and for what? Bunch of disrespectful losers... DONT YOU EVER INSULT WRESTLING!!!
bro I'm an actual pro wrestler and your **** was getting annoying

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
After some deep thinking, I really feel like the DLC news pushes Captain Toad's chances sky high
Captain Toad is probably the character whose chances increased the most from this news about the DLC.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It has to be Erdrick or nothing.
Eh, I'd prefer Slime... If Sakurai could make a moveset for a Piranha Plant, he can a make a moveset for Slime...
Im not sure if its real, but i saw someone saying that Robin´s final smash is still Pair Up with Chrom, can someone confirm that?
I do believe that is the case. I believe he shows up in the victory animation as well...
a DQ character would be the most anticlimactic reveal in history.
Not really... I can see a couple worse ones happening...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After some deep thinking, I really feel like the DLC news pushes Captain Toad's chances sky high. I'm cool with that - I love Mario so having more Mario characters isn't so bad to me. Plus, I mean, that's still 6/7ths of the roster that isn't Mario.
>Cpt Toad is a background character
>so is Pauline
Competition might be stiff there. That said, he can definitely work, as long as they remember that his backpack makes him heavyweight as far as jumping goes. :p

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And here I am, hoping this news will finally be enough to get people to take the Champions more seriously.

I could be wrong, but I have this innate feeling that we didn't get a Zelda newcomer on the base roster because Nintendo penciled in one for DLC. Won't deny that it's nothing more than me trying to rationalize why a character I want could get in, but I think most people can agree that Nintendo promoting BotW isn't too outlandish.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
And here I am, hoping this news will finally be enough to get people to take the Champions more seriously.

I could be wrong, but I have this innate feeling that we didn't get a Zelda newcomer on the base roster because Nintendo penciled in one for DLC. Won't deny that it's nothing more than me trying to rationalize why a character I want could get in, but I think most people can agree that Nintendo promoting BotW isn't too outlandish.
Oh, yes, I'd love Mipha. :)

Though it may be a little odd, watching her battle Link...

Last edited:

peachy!

super princess
I've been super busy with uni and work the past few days, but I just read Sakurai's tweets.

What do you guys think about Nintendo choosing the DLC fighters this time? And what does it mean for the fan-favs' chances?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Also, I wanna say this right now.

Sakurai and the dev team were the ones who pushed Corrin from Fire Emblem into a DLC fighter back in Smash 4, not Nintendo. Nintendo's leading Smash Ultimate's DLC, not much of Sakurai and the dev team this time.
Really? Do you have a source for that?

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Sidon or Urbosa definitely seem possible now. My hope is for Urbosa but any of them could be in, really. Definitely not far-fetched. I'd also argue Hyrule Warriors Impa is more likely now too.

I guess as someone who really loves a lot for the games Nintendo is pushing now, this news only made me more excited. Only thing I don't want is more Pokemon because as much as I love Incineroar and even Meltan I'd rather see other series' go first since we got the big cat in base.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I just saw the news on Twitter. I'm really glad Nintendo decided to change it and apologized for it considering some companies would rather just say "well, it's your fault for being offended". Between this and the added Villager skins, I'm growing more and more hopeful for Nintendo handling representation in their games.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I've been super busy with uni and work the past few days, but I just read Sakurai's tweets.

What do you guys think about Nintendo choosing the DLC fighters this time? And what does it mean for the fan-favs' chances?
Really scared that they will go the promotion route again instead of fan request

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Little game whilst waiting for news about the DLC replace any third parties characters with a Nintendo characters.

:ultcloud:= I replace him by Isaac from Golden Sun
:ultpacman:= I replace him by Bandana Dee from Kirby
:ultryu:= I replace him by Springman from Arms
:ultken:= I replace him by Ribbon Girl being Springman echo
:ultsimon:= I replace him by Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters
:ultrichter:= I replace him by Samourai Goroh from F-Zero
:ultsnake:= I replace him by Mach Rider from same game name
:ultsonic:= I replace him by Ray MK III from Custom Robot
:ultbayonetta:= I replace her by Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Most anticlimatic reveal in history would be revealing Byleth as an echo fighter of Chrom.
Nah, we can go deeper. Most anticlimatic reveal in history being Pink Gold Peach as an Echo of Peach.

Oh, yes, I'd love Mipha. :)

Though it may be a little odd, watching her battle Link...
Just consider it friendly sparring, not much weirder than seeing :ultmario: beat the stuffing out of :ultluigi: and :ultpeach:, or :ultisabelle: doing the same to :ultvillager:.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Who I see as the most likely reps with Nintendo deciding instead of Sakurai.

DQ rep (Slime, Jade, Erdrick, Luminary)
Banjo-Kazooie
Captain Toad
Rayman
Dragonborn or Vault boy
Breath of the Wild champion
Edelgard
Sylux

Little game whilst waiting for news about the DLC replace any third parties characters with a Nintendo characters.

:ultcloud:= I do not replace him
:ultpacman:= I replace him with Geno
:ultryu:= I do not replace him
:ultken:= I replace him with Dixie Kong
:ultsimon:= I do not replace him
:ultrichter:= I replace him with Isaac
:ultsnake:= I do not replace him
:ultsonic:= I do not replace him
:ultbayonetta:= I replace her with Skull kid

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Who I see as the most likely reps with Nintendo deciding instead of Sakurai.

DQ rep (Slime, Jade, Erdrick, Luminary)
Banjo-Kazooie
Captain Toad
Rayman
Dragonborn or Vault boy
Breath of the Wild champion
Edelgard
Sylux
Hopefully the DQ rep is Erdrick only out of those options.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Not gonna lie. I'm pretty happy about Nintendo choosing the DLC characters... A lot of my most wanted characters aren't really highly requested, and I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what Nintendo chooses.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
:ultcloud:= I do not replace him
:ultpacman:= I replace him with Geno
:ultryu:= I do not replace him
:ultken:= I replace him with Dixie Kong
:ultsimon:= I do not replace him
:ultrichter:= I replace him with Isaac
:ultsnake:= I do not replace him
:ultsonic:= I do not replace him
:ultbayonetta:= I replace her with Skull kid
A double post in the Ultimate discussion thread...

It is a very impressive feat, I'm proud of you. :p

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, I just saw the news on Twitter. I'm really glad Nintendo decided to change it and apologized for it considering some companies would rather just say "well, it's your fault for being offended". Between this and the added Villager skins, I'm growing more and more hopeful for Nintendo handling representation in their games.
I just hope they pick the bandit sprite from G&WG4, as long as it isn't taxing to reproduce.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The theories about Sakurai's tweet are making me laugh.

''This means few third partys and definitely rules out -blank-' No. Third party guest characters sell incredibly well, why do you think EVERY fighting game does it?

''I guess this means Nintendo didn't trust Sakurai to make his own choices." Look, it's 26 years into the relationship and they've even waited for him before to direct games. This ain't it boys and girls.

''It won't be people we want and Nintendo will make horrible choices based on promotional reasons only." Sure, we might get a newcomer who slips in because of promotion, but lol, Nintendo's not stupid, they'll be fan favorites and fan wants in the DLC because they're a company and they know that will sell.

The chicken with head cut off craze going on around the internet because of a simple tweet is amazing.
The thing about Sakurai's tweet is that it seems that, like how Greninja was picked, Sakurai was given a list of characters that he could choose 5 from.

We have no idea who was on that list, we can make educated guesses, but that's about it. We don't know how long that list was either.

For all we know, that list was comprised entirely of 3rd Party Characters. It could also have been comprised of 1st Party Characters. It could be a mix of both.

We. Don't. Know.

Depending on when that list was given to Sakurai, this might also preclude what Vergeben (among others) has been saying regarding DLC. For all we know, there were no Square characters on that list, or there were a few Square characters on that list. We don't even know if Sakurai picked a Square Rep, or if he went to Square to make a request and was denied.

Ultimately, we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Also, we don't know if Sakurai even had to follow that list, or if they were just suggestions from around the company or something that he could ignore if he wanted.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
A double post in the Ultimate discussion thread...

It is a very impressive feat, I'm proud of you. :p
I'm sorry. XD I had them both going and figured there'd be more messages by the time I was done with the second.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Not gonna lie. I'm pretty happy about Nintendo choosing the DLC characters... A lot of my most wanted characters aren't really highly requested, and I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what Nintendo chooses.
Yes, thank you.

I will never let minds slip that Yoshi has a game coming up (which will probably outsell 3 Houses I might add) and Nintendo LOVES to flaunt the hell out of Poochy!!!

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I saw what character Shantaes spirit uses, and it makes me wonder why they didn't use Bayo, considering they both use hair in a way.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

:ultcloud:= I replace him by Isaac from Golden Sun
:ultpacman:= I replace him by Bandana Dee from Kirby
:ultryu:= I replace him by Springman from Arms
:ultken:= I replace him by Ribbon Girl being Springman echo
:ultsimon:= I replace him by Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters
:ultrichter:= I replace him by Samourai Goroh from F-Zero
:ultsnake:= I replace him by Mach Rider from same game name
:ultsonic:= I replace him by Ray MK III from Custom Robot
:ultbayonetta:= I replace her by Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X
I'll keep all of them... Except...
:ultbayonetta: Replace her with any Rhythm Heaven Character

Bionichute

Smash Champion
What's wrong with Slime. Slime's been playable in more games than Erdrick and is also better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom